What's new

[WIP - Full] [ScaleGarden] [RJ052839] - Breath of Fire & Iron - [English Translation]

OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Breathe of Fire and Iron Translation Project

Did you copy/paste the last line or did you remember it and wrote it down yourself?

If it's the 2nd, then you're pretty amazing ^_^
No freaking way I would remember that weird ass line.

PS. I also don't think HRPG's are a higher art but I do still like for the translation to be as closely to the original as possible.
It's worse than all that, I made that line up on the spot, myself. Playing on the original long winded speech by Polonius which I do remember well and can quote...

My liege and madam to expostulate what majesty should be, what duty is.
What day is day, night night, and time is time; Were nothing but to waste night, day, and time.
Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes; I will be brief.
Your noble son is mad. . . .

But I damn well should be able to pluck a few lines of Shakespeare from memory given I used to be both actor and playwright myself.

Sadly for me, perhaps not for the audience, the stage is my world no more;
My part was played in merest time and exit an age overdue.
I mewled, I whined, I Sighed and Quarrelled as the Wise insist I do;
But now as lean youth shrunk, I shift, whistling to my strange oblivion.
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans applause

Now there I go doing it again, this time I have sorely abused a monologue from 'As You Like It' and will readily admit that the real one is so very much better but I've had my fun with it all the same.

OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
RJ052839 v1.01 - EngUI v1.1 - EngFL v0.3

All updates are now on the first post...

http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php?p=667025&postcount=1

I went ahead and whipped through a couple dozen maps seeing as I had to make a fix to my dodgy Cheat items (I messed up the code to show sparkles when Kate is crawling).

I will post updates here as with half of the maps fully translated now, albeit the short ones, it fits better here.

I will also only be posting Patches from now on and not the complete game so as not to rile any of the Copyright Nazi's.

The Patch will be available in two different types prefixed as outlined below.

LargePatch:
This one can be applied to any copy of the game, and I mean ANY copy no matter where you got it from or what version. If you are unsure you should always TRY to use this first it should have ALL you need as long as you have ANY version of the game.

SmallPatch:
This one is for those who already have my copy of the game either from the post from the other day or from applying the LargePatch to whatever copy of the game they have TRIED before.

Hopefully that is all perfectly clear to everyone that all you need is a copy of the game, preferably from a legitimate source, and one of the above patches. This will update your game to v0.3 of the Full English translation, yes that means story, which is roughly 20% complete at this stage.

See attachment for links and as always let me know if there are any problems

Last edited:
OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

All sorted now thanks to DarkFire original now irrelevant post is in the spoilers for archiving sake.

If a moderator reads this would they be so kind as to copy my post
http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php?p=855313&postcount=21
to first post or otherwise give me a first post with editing rights by whatever means are at their disposal.

I would also very much like to see the thread title changed to...

[WIP - Full] [ScaleGarden] [RJ052839] - Breath of Fire & Iron - [English Translation]

Slayersz the user who started this thread has officially quit by his own declaration without releasing any work.

I, however, have already completed translating the entire interface and over 20% of the story and have released such and will continue to work and release for the time being.

I believe it would make things easier for users to find if the thread was correctly titled and my release post was the first post. I would rather not, for archiving purposes, start a new thread as regardless of Slayersz not completing or releasing any work I did only start this myself as a result of his resignation.

If this is not possible or slips under the moderators radar I understand but if it can be done I would appreciate it. Similarly if it would be preferred by a moderator that I start my own thread please inform me and I will do so.

Last edited:

kR1pt0n1t3

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Write on their wall or send them a PM.

torkenstiem

Tentacle God
Reputation score

very glad to see translation being done on this, thx so much :D

OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

[Write on their wall or send them a PM.
Well that was an epic fail on my part I scoured the FAQ and failed to just look for section moderators, I am suitably ashamed!

Cheers, kR1pt0n1t3 I have now PM'd DarkFire

Esgaldin

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [ScaleGarden] [RJ052839] - Breath of Fire & Iron - [English Translation]

Mmm nice to see that someone translate this good game, I'm looking forward to it. =)

WETness

Reputation score

I can't post links yet but I threw a link to this game in my signature. I've had it on my hard drive for 5 years, lol.

Klon

Reputation score

I can't post links yet but I threw a link to this game in my signature. I've had it on my hard drive for 5 years, lol.
Hi, it seems I can't play this. Nothing happens when I try to start the game.I have installed japanese locale and japanese rtp.

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Hi, it seems I can't play this. Nothing happens when I try to start the game.I have installed japanese locale and japanese rtp.
The link immediately above your post nets you an archive of the game that when you unrar -I just tried- gives you a perfectly working copy.

You try to start it and nothing happens? Or it runs normally, but when you try start a New Game, it hangs?

Anyway, since I'm here, a big THX to daede for doing a TL of this nice little gem. I wish I hadn't just played through it with the aid of machine translator hell, not long before work on the translation started... lol

Klon

Reputation score

The link immediately above your post nets you an archive of the game that when you unrar -I just tried- gives you a perfectly working copy.

You try to start it and nothing happens? Or it runs normally, but when you try start a New Game, it hangs?

Anyway, since I'm here, a big THX to daede for doing a TL of this nice little gem. I wish I hadn't just played through it with the aid of machine translator hell, not long before work on the translation started... lol
I try to start it and nothing happens. It shows the loading circle for a split second and that's all. Not even a new window shows up.

OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I thought I was being as obvious as necessary with my instructions on how to get the original game files but I forgot to take into account the fact that most people skim read and gloss over perceived mistakes in spelling and punctuation. Let me try again for those who missed it...

See the first post on the first page.

Specifically read "Install Instructions".

More specifically section "1. Get a Functional copy of the original game."

Really specifically pay attention to the text, especially the last line of text.

Barely short of just plain stating it outright... Put on your 12 year old Batman decoder ring to find the super secret message.

Actually just plain throwing it out there, it is more a matter of Trial not error.

Hopefully that is clear enough for everyone now and we don't need to go explicitly stating any more than that.

OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Whilst I am here clearing a few things up I may as well post this out here for everyone in case there are people having problems with RPG Maker XP games such as this one showing blank text or square boxes in place of text and perhaps clear up a small bit of misinformation that seems to be floating around on how to fix it.

If you are getting blank text or square boxes instead of text it is most likely because you are lacking the appropriate Japanese RTP and or have not set up your System Locale for non-Unicode programs to Japanese.

First thing to try is to download and install in order the v103 J RTP followed by the 104 E RTP and finally the latest 105 A RTP.

With XP unlike VX Ace or MV the RTP's have to be installed on the system, you can't just dump Resource and DLL files into the directory.

This game uses the v103 J RTP but because of the dodgy way the newer versions were coded you actually have to install each one and in the correct order to be able to play all RPG Maker XP games. Once you have done so you will be able to play all XP games regardless of the XP version or language the game was built on without any DLL swapping, bugging out or other shenanigans.

Download links for the RTP's attached to this post.

Install in the order presented below, first v103J then v104E finally v105A.

XP RTP v103J

XP RTP v104E

XP RTP v105A

No need to restart between installs but definitely restart after installing all of them just to be safe.

This will almost certainly fix your issues; if , however, after doing this you still get blank text or square boxes it is because you have not properly set up you System Locale to Japanese.

You can google changing System Locale for your specific OS and find numerous instructions online yourself it is a fairly straight forward process.

P.S. I elaborate on where the misinformation likely stemmed from and further details for non players below, feel free to ignore if you just want to play the dang games.

For whatever it may be worth this misinformation probably sprang from the fact that whenever you edited an XP Game using the English RPG Maker program it automatically reset the appropriate RTP to the English language and RTP version of the RPG Maker program you used to edit it.

It does this by simply changing the line "library = " in "Game.INI" from say "RGSS103J.dll" to "RGSS104E.dll"

This wouldn't be a problem except the English RTP does not support Japanese characters so if after messing with the game in the editor and saving your changes there are still Japanese characters in the game they would be unreadable if you tried to play your newly modified game.

Easy fix though, all you do is after saving your changes before testing them or distributing them edit the "Game.INI" file line "library = RGSS104E.dll" back to "library = RGSS103J.dll" because fortunately the 103J RTP includes both English and Japanese characters fixing the problem entirely and completely; or atleast until the next time you make changes and save those changes via the English version of RPG Maker XP.

This nugget of information is something that is of absolutely no use or interest to anyone just wanting to play a game, only to those wanting to modify the game.

Unfortunately because the XP RTP's are so dodgy and easily bugged if not all installed and all installed in the correct order leading to so many people having botched installs and looking for new and interesting ways to blame it on something other than just plain shit coding this little nugget about RTP's got out into the wild quickly become confused and ultimately resulted in some really bad advice I have seen bandied about involving dropping different DLL's into you game folder.

This is just bad bad bad in so many stupid ways not least of which being that RPG Maker XP can't actually properly function this way because it has a tenancy to try and read both the DLL in the active games folder and the DLL installed on the system and run calls to each simultaneously and over the top of each other.

The capability of running without having to install the RTP was intended and even partially functional for XP and it is this capability that is being tapped into by dumping DLL's in game folders but it had issues from the get go that have been compounded with updates to modern Operating Systems over the decades.

It is also for those who are unaware actively unsafe, it may seem small fry but a number of RPG Maker games have been targeted as a viable malware distribution source, enough that I personally make a point of never using the included Game.exe of any RPG Maker games I download I always swap it out with a trusted official Game.exe of the same version ie 2K/XP/VX/VXAce and under no circumstances would I run any game with a DLL file in the game folder.

For those who are not aware a DLL file can be called as essentially a specially wrapped executable file which when run even if called by another program runs with elevated privilege compared to a standard executable file bypassing most simple firewall restrictions even on a relatively if basically secure system.

Anyway this is all going on way too long and full of unnecessary information. Suffice it to say don't dump DLL's willy nilly about the place, it's bad Mmmkay!

Attachments

OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Finally as mentioned previously I have been called away for a while, it was supposed to be just 1 week, it has already been 2. I can't really get anything done when I am away like this but if it looks like it will stretch out much longer I will at least update you all here with some sort of revised schedule as soon as I have a a reliable ETR and an opportunity.

Klon

Reputation score

I thought I was being as obvious as necessary with my instructions on how to get the original game files but I forgot to take into account the fact that most people skim read and gloss over perceived mistakes in spelling and punctuation. Let me try again for those who missed it...

See the first post on the first page.

Specifically read "Install Instructions".

More specifically section "1. Get a Functional copy of the original game."

Really specifically pay attention to the text, especially the last line of text.

Barely short of just plain stating it outright... Put on your 12 year old Batman decoder ring to find the super secret message.

Actually just plain throwing it out there, it is more a matter of Trial not error.

Hopefully that is clear enough for everyone now and we don't need to go explicitly stating any more than that.

I think there is a bit misunderstandning of what is the actual problem here. I did not skip your steps. I have read them carefully and this is not the first xp game I've played. I now realize I should have posted my problem to the game thread instead of translation thread and I apologize for that. Though if someone has some advice how to fix my problem, I am all ears.

EDIT: I have managed get it going. I am currently enjoying the translation. Again I am sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for the translation.

Last edited:

4GunZ

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Any news about translation progress?

archedio

Sex Demon
Reputation score

any news?

(BUMP)

OP
daede

daede

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Quick news update...

So sorry for the lack of any updates, everything Real Life has gotten more than a little messy in a 'as soon as one problem is dealt with a new one rears its ugly little head' kind of a way.

For whatever it may be worth not a week goes by without me giving some thought to getting back to this translation but as of yet I haven't been able to get more than 3 or 4 contiguous hours to myself and I need those for sleep.

I do still desperately hope I will be able to sort out the RL issues and get this done and have given myself an end of year deadline to do just that.

If the bombardment of minutia continues to berate me and I do not find the time I will at the very least clean up and post all my notes and working files etc for someone else to take over and finish it off.

Cheers,
Daede

torkenstiem

Tentacle God
Reputation score

thx for letting us know whats going on. hope you get to work on this some more soon.

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

All I can add is Best of Luck with whatever life throws your way...