What's new

RPG Patreon Active RPG Maker [Sierra Lee] The Last Sovereign [Updated 5/31: 175+ ILLUSTRATED SCENES!]

Re: The Last Sovereign [Updated 3/27]

-Expositions-

It's a very minor thing honestly and we've talked quite a bit about it now which seems to blow it out of proportion a bit >_>

You certainly get your point across, likewise previously i just want to share my opinion about this matter. :)
I think both of us would really appreciate it if Sierra as the author herself can give us her words about this.

Nah, blowing things out of proportion only bad when it's derailing the main topic of the thread, so we're in the clear! It also a good way to keep the thread on the first page. ;)

Well, it's always nice to see people engaging the plot. =D

There are two primary reasons for not allowing the use of Trin's powers during the summit, one plot-related and one for the sake of game balance:

1) Though Ardford is lower magic in general, that's not true of everyone in attendance, specifically Hester. I never state this explicitly, though, so I think it's worth adding into the game. Expect it in 0.17.4!

2) Unless I expanded Trin's capacity for Ardford (which I would rather not for various reason), I'd be punishing players for being thorough during Aka's route. I incentivize players to maximize use of Trin earlier, so it wouldn't be fair to make the best route require ignoring that for something you couldn't predict. This game already has enough blind choices, I think doing something like this would cross the line from realistic uncertainty to just mean.

the game's already crossed into mean with the simon part requiring almost religious devotion to get everything possible

and i still dont know what i missed to resolve the rich ghivini not giving a shit

the game's already crossed into mean with the simon part requiring almost religious devotion to get everything possible

and i still dont know what i missed to resolve the rich ghivini not giving a shit

Hell man, this game is already a hell for the perfectionist out there! With so many branching outcomes which requires thorough devotion if you wanna get them all, but sometimes things are simply impossible to achieve both end of the spectrum.

Well still, all the possibilities and causalities i think are still in a fair and manageable condition but sometimes too subtle and too well hidden.

What Ghivini you're talking about?

the ghivini guy in the last part

gave the infested house to the poor people

quest wants you to resolve the ghivini rich bastard not giving a shit about poor people but i dont know how to make it green in the quest log

the ghivini guy in the last part

gave the infested house to the poor people

quest wants you to resolve the ghivini rich bastard not giving a shit about poor people but i dont know how to make it green in the quest log

As far as I'm aware you lack any means to make the richer Ghivini care about the poor, so that part will just be a failure regardless, however you can give the Rich Ghivini the mirror found in the poorhouse for some extra dialogue, can't recall if that clears the flag for convincing rich Ghivini though.

2) Unless I expanded Trin's capacity for Ardford (which I would rather not for various reason), I'd be punishing players for being thorough during Aka's route. I incentivize players to maximize use of Trin earlier, so it wouldn't be fair to make the best route require ignoring that for something you couldn't predict. This game already has enough blind choices, I think doing something like this would cross the line from realistic uncertainty to just mean.

On the balance note, some players might actually have kept reserves for later, part of those blind choices you mentioned is "do I keep this in reserve or spend it now" though so far it seems spending everything the moment you can is the best option (in terms of Pr0n and other limited resources at least) having Trin be an option here might actually be good because it balances out the fact that you're essentially punished for keeping reserves, as not using Trin earlier would now be a detriment to everyone that saved up slots.

That said, I understand things will rapidly become impossible to balance and it'd introduce too many strings to keep track of, but if there's no intention of giving people playing sparingly the option to utilize the resources they kept in reserve then it might be good to inform players ahead of time.

Maybe a line at the start of Aka's route that suggests it's best to limit her copies to the Yhilim region (maybe spreading them out across the world is too taxing on Trin) and get them now because it would be too chaotic (and perhaps redundant) during the Doomed King plan (since doing away with corrupt/undesirables is already a major aspect of the plan)

I've not really spared any slots myself though, so it matters little to me personally, but I did spend quite some time considering holding on to one or two slots just in case, which I'm now glad I didn't.

Anyway as for Hester, does this imply she knows something about Simon as well or am I asking for spoilers here? ^^

Looking forward to the next update, this game has turned out to be quite a gem already.

Anyway as for Hester, does this imply she knows something about Simon as well or am I asking for spoilers here? ^^

Looking forward to the next update, this game has turned out to be quite a gem already.
More that Hester does have some magical skill and she's an astute observer. Some of the things the party gets away with in other contexts wouldn't fly while she's present.

And thanks, glad you enjoy it! ^-^

More that Hester does have some magical skill and she's an astute observer. Some of the things the party gets away with in other contexts wouldn't fly while she's present.

And thanks, glad you enjoy it! ^-^

So, she like Ms. Sherlock Hester? :p

As long as we didn't do anything Lustlord-like in her presence, we are good?

Haha, Sherlock wasn't the comparison I had in mind, but why not?

Anyway, by all this I'm not describing (another) hidden mechanic that depends on your choices, just a story element. Hester is a fully trained High Priestess with a perceptive nature and plenty of experience - her presence limits the options Simon could have taken during the summit.

So if anyone is following guides on the game, I've recently played through it all and found some key changes lead to arguably better results (or at least results worth considering) which might be worthwhile if you want an optimal save starting chapter three.

To keep thing simple just following the completion walkthrough largely aligns with what I do though I make some different choices in equipment and strategy.

One of the key changes is I do not gift Megail 25k ProN after her rescue and I don't ask her for a loan either (essentially, I don't end up gifting her 25k ProN of her own money for a Eustrin supplier at the long-term cost of 150k ProN) This allows me to invest in the Eustrin embassy for the summit (it makes you unable to afford the Eustrin processor but the profits of that venture are matched by the gains from not taking a loan from Megail), which then allows me to win all three votes (for optimal RP gains etc) and ends up starting at Janine's retreat with only 25k ProN less than the guide accomplishes (but we save 200k ProN on investments in Ardheim)

I also choose to develop my orcs for Robin's research options, as both the Essence Shielding (against religious magics) and Yhilini Magic seem more situational, given how little we know about the practicalities of chapter 3 the orcs seem the most versatile option of them all, our essence won't need to be hidden very much as I presume Simon will be fairly overt (just not directly as the Incubus King) so that won't stand out, and we already scored quite highly with the Yhilini mages (the choice seems more likely to lead to personal strength for Robin anyway)

I omit investing in premium steel a second time (you can still get the helmet), which allows me to instead invest in either the church bank or the Yhilin one, which is the decision I'm most unsure of here, I almost went with the Ivalan bank as I imagine the coming situation in Yhilin is going to cut into profits compared to an undisturbed Ivalan bank, but it's also worth considering we have little control over them and their affairs, and the church has proven to be less than trustworthy in the past, also the fact that I've invested heavily in the Yhilin economy and have little religious influence at all I'm just putting my chips on the bank I'm already somewhat entrenched in (there's some dialogue about Trin's copy becoming redundant which almost made me reconsider but they also assure you the coming conflict won't impact profits much if at all) I also end up spending 5k ProN on Yhilin beautification, which seems like an odd choice given the coming conflict but it makes Janine happy and we end up with 10k ProN leftover otherwise, now 5k. Should also mention I invest the bare minimum of 10k ProN into the knights of silence.

So essentially, by skipping Megails private deals (giving and taking 25k) investing in the Eustrin embassy and skipping the Eustrin processor, we win all three votes, invest in two banks (at the expense of not investing in premium steel the second time) buy the ruined kingdom and literally everything else in Ardford beside the Ivalan bank (I chose the Yhilin one)

Last edited:

Has anyone tried out the Ouroboros game?

Has anyone tried out the Ouroboros game?

When you're trying to start a conversation, don't blindly assume everyone knows what the hell you're talking about.

Anyway Ouroboros would be a side project Sierra has been working on during a breather taken from developing TLS, and I've not played it as of yet and my understanding is that it hasn't even been released yet in any capacity.

When you're trying to start a conversation, don't blindly assume everyone knows what the hell you're talking about.

Ah yes, clearly I could be referring to so many other things. :rolleyes:

Anyway Ouroboros would be a side project Sierra has been working on during a breather taken from developing TLS, and I've not played it as of yet and my understanding is that it hasn't even been released yet in any capacity.

It's been released on Patreon. Given the traffic this thread saw at its peak it's likely to incite more discussion than on the Patreon page.

Ah yes, clearly I could be referring to so many other things. :rolleyes:
Don't get cute when you're being pointed to an error, you're assuming everyone here has been staying up to date on this project and the side projects that actually have little to do with what this thread is about beside sharing a creator. If you can't be bothered to do more than throw out a single sentence and essentially demand others commit to the conversation more than you've done, things won't work out well in most social circumstance. Take that warning as you will.

It's been released on Patreon. Given the traffic this thread saw at its peak it's likely to incite more discussion than on the Patreon page.

Considering it's then only available to patrons and mainly the ones that actually regularly pay attention to it then you're more likely to find discussion there than here, I'd suggest you just stay patient until everyone has had a chance to even play it.

Regardless, I'm assuming you have tried it or are you just fishing for information here?

I've played it, it's super fun and clever and just about everything else I'd expect from this dev.

I don't want to go any deeper into it, because of SPOILERS.

Don't get cute when you're being pointed to an error, you're assuming everyone here has been staying up to date on this project and the side projects that actually have little to do with what this thread is about beside sharing a creator. If you can't be bothered to do more than throw out a single sentence and essentially demand others commit to the conversation more than you've done, things won't work out well in most social circumstance. Take that warning as you will.

Thank you so much for your backseat moderation. I had not considered your inability to use contextual cues to make basic inferences when I wrote my post.

I've played it, it's super fun and clever and just about everything else I'd expect from this dev.

I don't want to go any deeper into it, because of SPOILERS.

Agreed. It's somewhat frustrating to see less competent and productive developers get rewarded disproportionately more for their effort.

I was initially thrown for a loop about halfway into the game and took a break to check if there was any discussion on the subject. I then decided to plow on and ended up finishing the game. It's a really interesting take on a fantasy game with the use of tropes that are uncommon (if not outright novel) in the genre.

You guys made me can't wait to finally play the public version of Ouroboros.

I'm sorry i haven't become one of your patrons yet Sierra. :(

Thanks for the kind words on Ouroboros, guys. I'm hoping to finish polishing and get it released in time, but completing the last update of NN and the next update of TLS will be taking priority for a little while.

I'm sorry i haven't become one of your patrons yet Sierra. :(
No problem, glad you enjoy my games! ^-^

I played through the whole game again to prepare my optimal save for the upcoming update. One thing I noticed during this marathon (25 hours of game time!) is that Altina and Varia don't get that much character development compared to the others. And one of the many things I like about this game is how well the characters are developed.

As it is right now, aside from some game mechanics, it really doesn't make any difference if you reshape or dominate them, given their lack of dialogue. The whole Ardford Summit was specially bad for them, I don't think they had a single line of dialogue? Altina really just feels like an AoE mage bot at the moment. Qum doesn't even have a nickname for her!

Give them some love in the future updates please!

Such is the fate of optional side characters unfortunately, Varia gets most of her dialogue in Meghail's route and Altina in Aka's, and chances are they'll largely remain limited to such side chapters rather than take the spotlight in the "main quest"

That said, how did you do? I'm somewhat curious as to what others have managed for their "optimal" saves since there are a lot of options available even if you choose optimally.

Back