What's new

[WIP - Full] Succubus Rhapsodia (English) - Plains, Hills, and Cages Edition

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I'll compromise since I feel like I'm shooting down everything.[...]
I don't want any names cut off the display at all. But I don't know that changing the font for the entire game is the way to resolve that.
These are things off the top of my head where font size needs to be checked: Menu screen / status screen, SR_UTIL announcements, dialogue, and name tags.
Keep shooting! I don't remember you having turned down, or ignored, a suggestion without explanation. And respecting the dev's original wishes and intentions, is definitely in line with my thoughts. Not to mention I've resized, moved, adjusted my share of boxes in the status menu already. Your concerns are justified.
I was looking into this; this is why I'm insisting a little on the fonts. I'd rather not have to handcraft every bitmap.

I said something wrong and made a mistake: if you left "メイリオ" in the font array, the $default_size stays at 21 - really, really too big for any other font. If I happened to have sent you that file... It looked bad :censored: But let's look at the big picture:
I've listed and compared the different fonts already in use in the base game (same size for all).
1659157251863.png
As you can see メイリオ takes the most room, by far. That makes my concern invalid: if we decide to swap fonts later, there'll be no problem; what fits in the box with Meiryo, will fit even better with another. It is the worst font, hence the best for the task at hand, yours or mine: more error margin.

But if you see above a font you like better (except for the joke line), let me know. 小塚明朝 Pro B is that font "Succuces!" :LOL: is drawn with. Pretty, but unpractical. (I'll test it for the nametags, and only them)
After taking a good look, I must have liked MS Pゴシック before for how compact it was. It'll be a great backup choice.
-> it's all good! Just in case here's the original settings file. I might create other settings later for test purposes.

I've also solved the last issue I had with my UK_name. I'll start looking into the few \w\q\y\m still lurking here and there in the unmodded, base game.
(It would be unrealistic for me to keep rewriting at least 500 more definitions just for the mods. We'll use an external script to do what I did with notepad++; or simply provide the modified mod files every update, like I did before. If we don't my readme instruction are good enough anyway. I'll also need to credit the modders, and Dreamania.)
You should be able to download it still... Maybe I messed up a setting.
It's a firefox issue, from what I've read. I like fixing my problems, but for now I gave up and reluctantly used Edge...(and it worked) The download button was there on FF, so it wasn't on you.
edit: cleaned thread, files moved there

Last edited:
OP
WitheredGryphon
Reputation score
Keep shooting! I don't remember you having turned down, or ignored, a suggestion without explanation. And respecting the dev's original wishes and intentions, is definitely in line with my thoughts. Not to mention I've resized, moved, adjusted my share of boxes in the status menu already. Your concerns are justified.
I was looking into this; this is why I'm insisting a little on the fonts. I'd rather not have to handcraft every bitmap.

I said something wrong and made a mistake: if you left "メイリオ" in the font array, the $default_size stays at 21 - really, really too big for any other font. If I happened to have sent you that file... It looked bad :censored: But let's look at the big picture:
I've listed and compared the different fonts already in use in the base game (same size for all).
View attachment 44892
As you can see メイリオ takes the most room, by far. That makes my concern invalid: if we decide to swap fonts later, there'll be no problem; what fits in the box with Meiryo, will fit even better with another. It is the worst font, hence the best for the task at hand, yours or mine: more error margin.

But if you see above a font you like better (except for the joke line), let me know. 小塚明朝 Pro B is that font "Succuces!" :LOL: is drawn with. Pretty, but unpractical. (I'll test it for the nametags, and only them)
After taking a good look, I must have liked MS Pゴシック before for how compact it was. It'll be a great backup choice.
-> it's all good! Just in case here's the original settings file. I might create other settings later for test purposes.

I've also solved the last issue I had with my UK_name. I'll start looking into the few \w\q\y\m still lurking here and there in the unmodded, base game.
(It would be unrealistic for me to keep rewriting at least 500 more definitions just for the mods. We'll use an external script to do what I did with notepad++; or simply provide the modified mod files every update, like I did before. If we don't my readme instruction are good enough anyway. I'll also need to credit the modders, and Dreamania.)

It's a firefox issue, from what I've read. I like fixing my problems, but for now I gave up and reluctantly used Edge...(and it worked) The download button was there on FF, so it wasn't on you.
Ok, I don't need the default settings file... I'm assuming what you're referring to as narration is the overworld dialogue? That settings file handles battle dialogue. That's why I was saying:
Send me the files with every font size updated to their appropriate size, ideally similar to what the original font's size was. I'll take a look at it again when you do.
You were just talking about creating a settings file for this:
If you'd like to experiment, but are unsure of where/how to make adjustments, I can create a "settings" script to centralize the font settings for our needs, smtg like:
For the last time because I'm not going back into the font settings after this, as I've already spent way more time than I care to looking and trying to figure out how they're set up--if you want a different font: send me the settings file with every font size in it and updated to the correct size.

I'm tired of loading into the game and seeing this massive font break the text I'm working on and having to revert it because it wasn't fixed:

gGOsoYx[1].png

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Got it.
It has nothing to do with me, it's a T++ issue if anything.
I mean, RPGMXP itself refuses to paste your line in, it's way too long. T++ forces the line, no matter what. You can't do that with RPGMXP.
Original:
\name[\v[2]]\_
・・・こんな所かな?
行く場所が無いのなら酒場にでも行ってみるといいよ。
Yours:
\name[\v[2]]\_
...And I think that does it?
If you aren't sure where to start, I'd check out the bar first.
Mine:
\name[\v[2]]\_
・・・That's about it?
If you feel lost head to the Bar first.

Simply looking the lines above in fourm format is enough to tell. I did mention Meyrio looked very, very different with English characters.
But let's test in-game as well, who knows?
1659209499915.png
1st I forced $default_font = ["MS Pゴシック"]. And you're right, it was a bad idea, the way SR initially works.
The 2nd is with the default Meyrio I agreed we should use for our convenience.
The 3rd is the maximum amount of characters I could fit in RPGMXP.
The 4th I made out of curiosity. Ignore it.

I usually adjust the TL column's width in T++, to leave me some wriggle room, and indicate when my translation string is too long.
I suggest you set yourself a width you're comfortable with, so you can work without needless worries.
I'm glad I could troubleshoot you. Keep asking if you have other issues, @WitheredGryphon. I won't mind.

PS: so you still need this file, in case that needs be said. $default_font sets the font RPGMXP uses, as a whole.
PPS: I think I haven't mentioned this, but my current script allows for global names TL. As an example, I can append Yeoldenames.jap with "案内人形", Yeoldenames.end with "Guide doll" and I get this:
1659215057662.png
It's also possible to have the game dump unregistered jp names to a file as they come... I'll implement this.

Last edited:
OP
WitheredGryphon
Reputation score
Got it.
It has nothing to do with me, it's a T++ issue if anything.
I mean, RPGMXP itself refuses to paste your line in, it's way too long. T++ forces the line, no matter what. You can't do that with RPGMXP.
Original:
\name[\v[2]]\_
・・・こんな所かな?
行く場所が無いのなら酒場にでも行ってみるといいよ。
Yours:
\name[\v[2]]\_
...And I think that does it?
If you aren't sure where to start, I'd check out the bar first.
Mine:
\name[\v[2]]\_
・・・That's about it?
If you feel lost head to the Bar first.

Simply looking the lines above in fourm format is enough to tell. I did mention Meyrio looked very, very different with English characters.
But let's test in-game as well, who knows?
View attachment 44908
1st I forced $default_font = ["MS Pゴシック"]. And you're right, it was a bad idea, the way SR initially works.
The 2nd is with the default Meyrio I agreed we should use for our convenience.
The 3rd is the maximum amount of characters I could fit in RPGMXP.
The 4th I made out of curiosity. Ignore it.

I usually adjust the TL column's width in T++, to leave me some wriggle room, and indicate when my translation string is too long.
I suggest you set yourself a width you're comfortable with, so you can work without needless worries.
I'm glad I could troubleshoot you. Keep asking if you have other issues, @WitheredGryphon. I won't mind.

PS: so you still need this file, in case that needs be said. $default_font sets the font RPGMXP uses, as a whole.
PPS: I think I haven't mentioned this, but my current script allows for global names TL. As an example, I can append Yeoldenames.jap with "案内人形", Yeoldenames.end with "Guide doll" and I get this:
View attachment 44912
It's also possible to have the game dump unregistered jp names to a file as they come... I'll implement this.
Ok, I'm going to shut down this line of conversation because it's starting to annoy me and it seems you still do not understand the issue of me not wanting to dig through font settings as screenshots 1 and 4 are way too big.

I don't need "troubleshooting." I am well aware of how long line lengths are, and that line is perfectly within RPGMXP's capabilities:

cU8eWZC[1].png

Setting a width in Translator++ offers me almost zero benefit. I have no issue with rewriting text to not clip right now. The entire purpose of this was because you specifically asked to change the font since you did not like how Meiryo looked with Latin characters and wanted to use MS PGothic.

I'm done discussing font changes. If you want another font in the game, release it as a separate file. I've delayed work on this long enough over this font topic that I'm finished talking about it.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I am pleased to announce the last standing Japanese bastion has fallen! Status menu is now 100% English! 🥳
Rejoice! Please indulge in tender sex with your succubus today! Or in ice-cream. Vanilla ice-cream.
... The new Playgrounds battles/rewards/penalties are also in. That will all be next global update tho :whistle:
Back to business.

My script already allowed for global names TL, in all case a nametag/speaker is used.
ie I can append(push) Yeoldenames.jap with "案内人形", Yeoldenames.eng with "Guide doll" and her nametag gets translated. If she happened to refer to her name in her dialogue (私の名前は案内人形です), that would also include it, once.

In short: translating every <$game_variables[2] = "案内人形"> script in maps is not necessary.

Example:
Script: $game_variables[2] = "案内人形"
Show_text:
\name[\v[2]]\_
Heya! Welcome home, sweetie!
私の名前は案内人形です!
1659290748048.png
Note that there's no issue whatsoever if the text was already translated, name included.
I've made it so the game will send unregistered jp names as strings to a "MOD_unknown_speaker.txt" file, whenever one shows. They can then be translated, in order to integrate them into the Yeoldenames class/database. Currently, this will also send 'player-defined' names, such as names players enter for new succubi (Roman ones in all likeliness).

This 'export feature' will need to be disabled before the final update, but it should be handy, csv-compatible right now.
edit: cleaned thread, files moved there

Last edited:

xRoguex

Reputation score
I am pleased to announce the last standing Japanese bastion has fallen! Status menu is now 100% English! 🥳
Rejoice! Please indulge in tender sex with your succubus today! Or in ice-cream. Vanilla ice-cream.
... The new Playgrounds battles/rewards/penalties are also in. That will all be next global update tho :whistle:
Back to business.

My script already allowed for global names TL, in all case a nametag/speaker is used.
ie I can append(push) Yeoldenames.jap with "案内人形", Yeoldenames.eng with "Guide doll" and her nametag gets translated. If she happened to refer to her name in her dialogue (私の名前は案内人形です), that would also include it, once.

In short: translating every <$game_variables[2] = "案内人形"> script in maps is not necessary.

Example:
Show_text:
\name[\v[2]]\_
私の名前は案内人形です!
View attachment 44933
Note that there's no issue whatsoever if the text was already translated, name included.
I've made it so the game will send unregistered jp names as strings to a "MOD_unknown_speaker.txt" file, whenever one shows. They can then be translated, in order to integrate them into the Yeoldenames class/database. Currently, this will also send 'player-defined' names, such as names players enter for new succubi (Roman ones in all likeliness).

This 'export feature' will need to be disabled before the final update, but it should be handy, csv-compatible right now.
Thank for your effort man. I'll try it right away.

OP
WitheredGryphon
Reputation score
Back to business.

Example:
Show_text:
\name[\v[2]]\_
私の名前は案内人形です!
View attachment 44933

This is perfect, thanks. Most of the map nametags will (or should be) translated already just because Translator++ pulls those a single time as well so I'm not actually translating them over and over, but just once and then Translator++ does what your script does. It will be good to have a backup for things Translator++ misses, which occasionally can happen. But this primarily will make fixing the battle dialogue nametags a lot easier since Translator++ doesn't pull those at all and there's ~150 of those (maybe more?).

I'm finishing up translating the first Home and I'll release the map files I have so far I think. Not sure how far I want to push before releasing in intervals for bug checking.

Last edited:

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Reading back what I wrote... I was indeed at fault for going on off a tangent. I understand much better how text is actually processed now, but there wasn't a need to have you involved 😅
Text being cut off is not acceptable, in any case: RPGMXP is supposed to condensate these lines to fit the 'box'. I'll keep looking into a way to re-implement that feature as a failsafe - if possible at all.
Most of the map nametags will (or should be) translated already just because Translator++ pulls those a single time [...]
I'm finishing up translating the first Home and I'll release the map files I have so far I think. Not sure how far I want to push before releasing in intervals for bug checking.
Appreciated. I'll double-check how the maps code was changed by T++.
I'm afraid a few events will be broken. Map374 Map 347 comes to mind (Chaosia map):
Code:
not $game_party.taking_boss_actors(0).include?("リジェオ")
which checks if "リジェオ" (not "Rejeo") is in the party. I've kept all uniques' name Japanese in the code.
Or the opening map227:
Code:
$game_actors[101].personality = "真面目"
Which sets MC's personality, also Japanese in the code.

I thought about "names" first and foremost, but there are others I can't make a script to reliably catch.
This won't hard to fix at all post-facto, but we'll need thorough playtesting to find any and all similar cases - when the time comes.
TL,DR: scripts with Strings in them will be our nemesis. But don't worry too much about them.

Try to keep an eye out for "suspicious" maps/lines if you can and don't hesitate to have T++ skip them. We can always check the T++ project later and remove 'unwanted' lines (most likely, one-word ones) so there's no need to be overly cautious. But I guess that's nothing you're not well-aquainted with.

-> It's likely many of the T++-exported maps will not be our 'final' maps; there's no way around that. But we certainly don't want that hindering the translation process. I'll try to keep an exhaustive log of every map I've double-checked, similar to my *Log_Verbose.txt.

PS: I'll likely have less free time starting this month. Not an issue, since I'm almost done with the next update (which should fix most, hopefully all of the leftover \w\q\y\m from the original code). After that (for me) is mostly painstacking small-scale antwork, including checking the T++ maps, etc.

Thank for your effort man. I'll try it right away.
Not yet, not yet! :LOL: I was happy it was much easier than I thought, but it's in another file, coming soon! (I'll clean my old files from the thread after that)
edit: come to think of it, it would help if someone could confirm, in the new Playgrounds mode with simplified battles, whether you can use healing spells (Iris petal, etc.) on the map. I'm not sure which was the correct/initial behavior.

Last edited:
OP
WitheredGryphon
Reputation score
I'm afraid a few events will be broken. Map374 comes to mind:
Code:
not $game_party.taking_boss_actors(0).include?("リジェオ")
which checks if "リジェオ" (not "Rejeo") is in the party. I've kept all uniques' name Japanese in the code.
Or the opening map227:
Code:
$game_actors[101].personality = "真面目"
Which sets MC's personality, also Japanese in the code.

I thought about "names" first and foremost, but there are others I can't make a script to reliably catch.
This won't hard to fix at all post-facto, but we'll need thorough playtesting to find any and all similar cases - when the time comes.
TL,DR: scripts with Strings in them will be our nemesis. But don't worry too much about them.

Try to keep an eye out for "suspicious" maps/lines if you can and don't hesitate to have T++ skip them. We can always check the T++ project later and remove 'unwanted' lines (most likely, one-word ones) so there's no need to be overly cautious. But I guess that's nothing you're not well-aquainted with.
So I think (don't quote me on this) Translator++ won't pull script strings as there's likely some sort of RegEx to exclude them.
E.g., in Map 374, there's literally nothing to translate:
VUFEaWz[1].png

If you work with T++ long enough you get familiar with its patterns. Basically it places names just above patches of dialogue. It's hard to explain but it's easy enough to avoid. There are some tricky ones, like personality selection in the opening, but usually those fall right after a choice and are (usually) obviously not names.

It's likely many of the T++-exported maps will not be our 'final' maps; there's no way around that. But we certainly don't want that hindering the translation process. I'll try to keep an exhaustive log of every map I've double-checked, similar to my *Log_Verbose.txt.
Yeah, that was the same for Black Souls II from what I recall. There was some stuff I was forced to go in and manually edit because Translator++ wouldn't parse correctly. Then again it's also been years since then, so it's likely improved quite a bit as well. That's why I plan to release in intervals to have people checking for missed text or, worse, crashes.

xRoguex

Reputation score
Not yet, not yet! :LOL: I was happy it was much easier than I thought, but it's in another file, coming soon! (I'll clean my old files from the thread after that)
edit: come to think of it, it would help if someone could confirm, in the new Playgrounds mode with simplified battles, whether you can use healing spells (Iris petal, etc.) on the map. I'm not sure which was the correct/initial behavior.
Don't have any healing spell right now. I found only the names of the characters with a "m" at the beginning like mRejeo or mImp and in place of #(target) there is the name of the Incubus who's talking.
I saw qw or qm (i need to see it more carefully) but i think it depends for the eng mod I actually have.
If yours works good I probably need the other files aswell and see if those little problem are determined for that (most likely).

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Don't have any healing spell right now. I found only the names of the characters with a "m" at the beginning like mRejeo or mImp and in place of #(target) there is the name of the Incubus who's talking.
Simply have Laurent take the Peace Wov [A] profession? It teaches healing spells, the relaxation incense skill, and even cooking I think. I'd like the partner checked as well, so take a Cast with you? They start with Iris Seed.
I barely have any "m", etc. left. Next update will fix most of these, along with most text flow glitches.

So I think (don't quote me on this) Translator++ won't pull script strings as there's likely some sort of RegEx to exclude them.
E.g., in Map 374, there's literally nothing to translate
My bad, was a typo: it was map 347 AKA Chaosia map. I didn't make a T++ project but #347 should be a 'fun' one - irony intended, with all the namebound branches.
'my bad'+1: yes, the capital 'H' wasn't a usable letter. Fixed, it's actually how these should be handled... (simply c == "\\H")

T++ sometimes pulls the strings inside a script, but not always. It might depend on its mood? :unsure: Or rather, the structure the scripts are part of. It made my head hurt every time I tried to understand exactly how/why/where.
I usually have my hands full fixing whatever T++ broke script-wise, and only share my MTLs if there were considerable issues which'd possibly get in the way of 'real' translators. So I kind of understand what you mean, maybe from a different perspective and less experience actually using T++.

I'm well-aware thoroughly checking maps will be hard work. I'm knowledgeable about SR's specific difficulties, so I can tell they're nothing out of this world either... I won't hesitate to let you know if that part is more than I can chew, in terms of volume. More helpers, if you know of any willing, are not out of the question. We'll see how this goes going forward.

Anyway, I'm combing every single Battleflow line, and I realized I grossly misjudged the amount of translation left to do in there. It's going slow but steady, gathering the other functions (SR_util, etc.) that'll also need be TLed. I'll upload what I have once the battle core is out of the way.

PS: I noticed SR_util had a function to help accomodate long names:
Ruby:
def self.names_over?(a_name, b_name, permition_number = 12)
    return ((a_name.size + b_name.size) / 3 > permition_number)
end # counts characters in a and b, returns false if they go over the threshold
If you can come up with an approximate count of characters # we want to allow per line, I should be able to adjust the maths to suit our needs, as it's already implemented in various places - usually prompting a new line when long names pop up. No rush, I'll test that much later myself.

Last edited:

xRoguex

Reputation score
If you are interested now it's out the new version of the mod. Is the scrpm_2994

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
EDIT: cleaned the thread, files for version 3019 moved there

Last edited:

xRoguex

Reputation score
There should only be... 5 maps to update? 103, 169, 264, 277 and 198?
only 103 as far as I can see. The others to check are Skills, Enemies, States, Troops and Classes.
A lot of mod scripts are the same of the previous patch so there are not that much files to check.
I've fixed the peach Lesser Succubus in my talk file because the C_Talk (and maybe others but I need to do a few tests) fails to load the praise dialogue answer for example.
Is a problem caused by the original jap mod.

OP
WitheredGryphon
Reputation score
Just a reminder that if you don't have RPG Maker XP RTP you will crash. For some reason this version started crashing for me. You need to download it from here - . Previously you didn't need this (or at least I didn't).

Anyway, Translator++ pretty seamlessly upgraded to 2994.atc -

I extracted everything inside except Zethin_Temp and the Skilltext. Game seems to run smoothly both in-combat and between map transitions. So updates (on my end) are basically a non-issue for now.

OP
WitheredGryphon
Reputation score
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: scrpm2999 is out
I'll update again once I'm home. Though my end of the project is largely independent of the updates. I only have a few files right now that need to be checked and they're very small. Updates mostly impact Strange's work.

Strange - Feel free to send me your scripts again when you've checked them and I'll slot them in on my end. I haven't touched my own scripts since I last uploaded them so the ones you have from me are still the same.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Got it. It might take some time; I'm looking into the main known bugs (unrelated to our own work):
- the ct 300 timeout bug (AKA can't find a valid action)
- the void skill_can_use?
- the line overflows (this one looks like it's my fault more often than not)
I'd rather fix them than implement some stopgap measure. The changelog is preety tame so far, but if there's any gamebreaking bug brought by scrpm2999, let me know and I'll turn my attention there sooner.

To anyone using my files:
They should be fully functional with scrpm2979. Reports of any bug, typo, missing menu text, missing/extra spaces even, would be useful. Anything gamebreaking too, of course. I have close to no playtime, apart specific bugtesting, so I might've missed issues.
As for wording, inconsistences, etc. feel free to keep a list for later use.

OP
WitheredGryphon
Reputation score
Got it. It might take some time; I'm looking into the main known bugs (unrelated to our own work):
- the ct 300 timeout bug (AKA can't find a valid action)
- the void skill_can_use?
- the line overflows (this one looks like it's my fault more often than not)
I'd rather fix them than implement some stopgap measure. The changelog is preety tame so far, but if there's any gamebreaking bug brought by scrpm2999, let me know and I'll turn my attention there sooner.

To anyone using my files:
They should be fully functional with scrpm2979. Reports of any bug, typo, missing menu text, missing/extra spaces even, would be useful. Anything gamebreaking too, of course. I have close to no playtime, apart specific bugtesting, so I might've missed issues.
As for wording, inconsistences, etc. feel free to keep a list for later use.
Once I've verified the patch on my end I'll take a look at ct300 tonight.

I might be completely misremembering or just have not seen it, but what is this "void" issue exactly so I know what to look for?

As for line overflows, where are these happening? I know of one overflow I need to look into fixing (SR_Util's announcement window size not adjusting to the hash table's English replacement. Can be seen with the "Press C to-" message)

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Once I've verified the patch on my end I'll take a look at ct300 tonight.
I might be completely misremembering or just have not seen it, but what is this "void" issue exactly so I know what to look for?
There isn't a need to, unless you're curious - I'd be hypocritical to blame you.
I'll have a script count and dump the responsible 300 actions. Maybe wait until then?

The 'void' seems to be an incorrect call of skill_can_use?, which is often used for action selection. I'll also upgrade the way the error is reported. It happened to me most often when in complicated, multiple holds. I hope I'm innocent in the matter :unsure:
As for line overflows, where are these happening? I know of one overflow I need to look into fixing (SR_Util's announcement window size not adjusting to the hash table's English replacement. Can be seen with the "Press C to-" message)
Oh, right. I'll have a look into this too; your SR_Util code can work, since no that many messages go through there.
My most hated overflow is the climax one ("Playerは、意識が朦朧としている……!qm"). Most of these are because of the former \q.

But there was others before (100% jp), they happen when the assembled text is too long. That won't help us much, sadly (like the characters count SR_util function I mentioned before) because En characters are much more inconsistent than Jp kanjis and kanas, in width. I've tried to use smtg similar in the 'check/analyze' textmaker (def self.make_condition_text(battler)), if you're curious.
-> We will actually have fewer overflows than the jp code, in general 😁

Last edited: