What's new

The Animu thread

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score
Re: The Animu thread

The first was the one with the line you mentioned, the fight over whether to use the appleseed data or not, and the big mobile fortress fight at the end.

The second was the one with the bad guys that might as well have "evil" tattooed on their fore head, the new bio-roid character (Tereus I think?) who could apparently somehow compete with Briareos advanced cyborg body in physical combat, and the floating island nonsense. They also tried to make the 3D CG look shinier and "more 3D", which was the opposite of the animation concept behind the first film. (I watched the DVD extras. Pretty cool to see how they do it.)

The main thing I hear/read when proper Shiro fans are talking about the CG movie, is that the characters personality and history aren't fully faithful to the manga. I wouldn't know how much so, but I still liked them. I do intend on watching/reading the older works sometime, so maybe I'll get a better idea of their true character latter.

Seen a bit of Dokuro Chan too. An amusing series to show people the opening of, or to set a few eps playing in the background at a party full of drunks. A few people come over to take a look, typical cute Japanese stuff they think, and out of the blue she pulls a gigantic spiked iron club and suddenly disembowels someone. Classic face watching fun.

Last edited:

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Tank Police is an awesome anime adaption of Masamune's manga, though I haven't read the manga itself. GITSSAC season 1 and 2 are awesome too, as is the first movie and the movie for GITSSAC. The 'sequel' to the first movie though, well, it was a bit bollocks in my opinion.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Tank Police is an awesome anime adaption of Masamune's manga, though I haven't read the manga itself. GITSSAC season 1 and 2 are awesome too, as is the first movie and the movie for GITSSAC. The 'sequel' to the first movie though, well, it was a bit bollocks in my opinion.
I second all of that.

By "sequel to the first movie" you mean the one mostly following Batou working on a case of 'killer sex dolls' right? Bollocks is a good description. Deliberately confusing and pretentious. It seemed like it was pretending to be deep and clever, but resorting to being abstract and confusing enough that viewers wouldn't want to admit it didn't make a lick of sense. Why the bizarre film noir style? Why were there cherry blossoms falling out of the clouds over that weird city?

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Yeah, I was talking about that movie. I guess watching it when I was tired didn't help matters, but either way it was still crap.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

FLCL is what all anime should be.

But I guess if all anime was like FLCL, it just wouldn't be FLCL, would it.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Heh... if you're looking for a magical girl anime... you GOTTA see "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha", and its sequel, "Nanoha A's". Takes off all the bad parts about the genre and puts in good stuff in its place. Don't bother with the second sequel, "Nanoha StrikerS", unless you really want to, though.

Patlabor's a great comedy/police anime. There's a reason it went two series and three movies - including theatrical releases (for the third movie, at least) in North America. The movies tend to be more serious than the series episodes.

If you want a mind-warping experience, I'd suggest "Serial Experiments: Lain". Wouldn't call it great, precisely, but I bought it over Evangelion way back in the day. Might just be me and not liking the way NGE went, though.

"Scrapped Princess" is another favourite of mine. Starts out as a traditional heroic fantasy, then gradually curves into something very different.

"Birdy the Mighty" is fun. It's, loosely speaking, a gender-bender comedy. The two new series have nothing to do with the original 4-episode OVA, beyond both being based on the same source material.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I'll back Games Dude with Claymore. I really enjoyed the series, though I found it went a little down hill in the later episodes. Still quite enjoyable though.

Wolf's Rain, my absolute favorite anime ever! I love it.

OP
W

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Ok, so it seems the internet has me screwed,
I'm thinking it's because they've been sued,
But for the life of me I can't find a link that doesn't lie,
For the anime named "Read or Die."

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Black Lagoon.

It does NOT have school, nor does it have robots. It is the best non-stereotypical anime EVER.

Games Dude

Lurker
Reputation score

Also GD, I've looked yet I can't see anything about an anime for the Vocaloids, so I think you may have that mixed up with just a part of another music video made with the Vocaloids for AMV Hell. Just for clarification, which Hell was it in?
I didn't actually find Vocaloid from AMV Hell, I found it on... well... pretty much everywhere else. Mainly I saw and fell in love with her cuteness, therefore also assuming it was an anime and adding it to the list.

NOTE: SINCE PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK I POSTED A LIST OF THINGS I HAVE SEEN, I DIDN'T. THE ONLY THINGS I HAVE SEEN ARE THE THINGS THAT ARE RATED, EVERYTHING ELSE IS THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Ok, so it seems the internet has me screwed,
I'm thinking it's because they've been sued,
But for the life of me I can't find a link that doesn't lie,
For the anime named "Read or Die."

<- need an account to view, but it's free.

OP
W

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

God, I'm such a girl,
I get moved when an anime takes me for a whirl.
And when a child says goodbye to her friend,
My sissyness seems to have no end,
I nearly cried, by myself in my bed,
But that is all that should be said.

(Read or Die is good.)

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Thats an understatement. Read or Die is EPIC. Which did you watch, the series or the OVA? Because both are awesome.

Another awesome anime to note; Shakugan no Shana. A kind of magical girl anime for men. Kinda.

OP
W

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, I started watching on a troublesome page,
It seemed indeed like they'd been chewing sage,
For what I watched as episode 1 of the telly series,
Was actually the first OAV, and it made me delirious.
Not because of the content itself, but because of this fault.
Now everything I saw had as much context as sunlight and salt.

However it sorted itself out at last,
so now I'm working my way from the past.
I'm watching the series first,
Just because I for characters thirst.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Okay, I'm going to pretend I know what you mean. Anyway, the OVA comes before the series, I believe.

OP
W

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Read or Die keeps filling my eyes with tears,
I wish it wasn't frowned upon by my peers.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Anyone seen the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann movies? They're basically a retelling of the story in two movies, but some parts are changed, and the final battle has been made even more epic. Gurren Lagann has plenty of times where it'll fill your eyes full of manly tears.

OP
W

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

OK, So I'm currently watching Omamori Himari, (Really AWESOME anime...) And I was wondering if anyone knew of any other good ecchi/harem with a little action and some supernatural stuff they'd like to suggest...

I was also wondering if anyone knew of just a good anime that has supernatural stuff where the main character has a lot of development... E.g. Starting you as a complete noob and slowly going epic...

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Made me laugh...

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other good ecchi/harem with a little action and some supernatural stuff they'd like to suggest...
Mai-Hime fits that description fairly well. I haven't seen all of it myself, but I generally liked what I saw. Although I believe it gets darker towards the second half.

There is another version under the name of Mai-Otome I believe, which I know nothing about.

Last edited:

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Two I'd recommend would be "Love Hina" and "Negima!", both by Ken Akamatsu, though I'd recommend the manga versions first. The "Love Hina" anime version is good, but the manga version is just superior to me, because it feels more like it's the story as it unfolds, not a retelling through someone else. "Negima!" anime is apparently good, but I haven't watched it, so I couldn't tell ya about that one.