The Dividing Line - OOC

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The Dividing Line - Signup and OOC

I was going to let this peter out and then ask Nunu to remove it because I had a whiny bitchy phase (Whaaa whaa nobody cares about this anymore), but I got better just now. I may be bipolar.

Basically after a bit of inactivity I fast forwarded this a week. The Ashotur is in a cell, the blue spore turns out to be some kind of humanoid-AFO hybrid (which, in hindsight, opens up some possibilities), Thall and Draven are out on a trip in the old Ashotur dominion and encountered the Ittaax, a race of big, talking birds. The whole station is fully stocked with personnel and other stuff.
Pheonix' character and Bartnum's character have fallen off the battle station apparently.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I never wanted to leave, but couldn't much help it. I'll be able to keep up with anything new from now on just fine.

This game has many of the same strengths and weaknesses that SBS had. Such as freedom of character, unpredictable (hence interesting) character based interactions, and ability to generate own story arcs. Weaknesses being a vague (and hence often slow) passage of time, conversation trapping and waiting on responses.

Two things that SBS didn't have, was a central story and proper GM involvement. That might just be enough.

Right now it's likely a good thing that Kars isn't with Draven and Thall since he'd likely make a poor representative. He's on call though. Otherwise he may just go for a fly and see what drifts by.

(Wondering how those mysterious space fungus creatures would react to his crafts sensor deception ability...)

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I never wanted to leave, but couldn't much help it. I'll be able to keep up with anything new from now on just fine.

This game has many of the same strengths and weaknesses that SBS had. Such as freedom of character, unpredictable (hence interesting) character based interactions, and ability to generate own story arcs. Weaknesses being a vague (and hence often slow) passage of time, conversation trapping and waiting on responses.

Two things that SBS didn't have, was a central story and proper GM involvement. That might just be enough.

Right now it's likely a good thing that Kars isn't with Draven and Thall since he'd likely make a poor representative. He's on call though. Otherwise he may just go for a fly and see what drifts by.

(Wondering how those mysterious space fungus creatures would react to his crafts sensor deception ability...)
Aaaah. Constructive criticism, much appreciated. Thanks.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

So, I felt like doing a 10 minute doodle to vaguely illustrate the shape of Kars "Hell Strafer" craft. Booted up paint, did some loose scribbles, and before I knew it I couldn't stop adding stuff. So here it is, in a faux sci-fi computer display style. You can ignore the boxed sections, they don't contain anything actually relevant, just copypasta from something.

The general idea behind the image is that Kars is visiting a shipyard to have some retroactive blueprints created so that in the case of his beloved ship being destroyed he might just be able to partially rebuild it.

As for who Sergei Vostof is and why or how Kars has gained access to his shipyard account... you'll have to make your own conclusions...

Last edited:

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

They are the same person :p

I actually know someone with that same first name, Sergei.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I'm curious about whether the faint "reflection" in that image is actually visible to anyone else. Depending on how I tilt my laptop screen it's more or less easy to notice. I might have made it too dark for anyone not looking too closely.

Also, was about to ask something before I read...
...maybe we should get some back-up from the Line.
I'm off to find something fun.
Exploring uncertain wrecks in space. That'll do nicely. One of Kars favourite pastimes.

Last edited:

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Wait a second, a gunship, arrived fairly late...

Are my ears ringing? They are, aren't they?

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Wait a second, a gunship, arrived fairly late...

Are my ears ringing? They are, aren't they?
What I meant is that this gunship is the successor of the TPD's Axe class of gunships. Conveniently, its description has been uploaded into the database yesterday.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So with me going back to school, I find myself with a lot less time on my hands. I know that if I ask if I should continue this RP I'm going to get a lot of "yes please" and "no don't stop now". So I'm not going to ask.

In the recent weeks, my posts here have been sporadic at best. Being that I actually GM this game, this has caused severe slowdowns. TDL has been on the edge of death and is just picking back up, and I feel bad about closing it down right now. If anybody else is willing to take over, be my guest, but I find myself unable to continue TDL in a way satisfying to the players.

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I suppose I can take it over Rule, but I'll have to have you fill me in on exactly what you envisioned happening here in order to do that. Unless you want me to make up shit as I go, which I can do well enough I suppose.

I'd hate to see this die off now that it's gotten going again, but RL issues come first, and if nothing can be done then so be it, that's how it will have to be.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, in the words of the great Jeff Goldblum, 'If you gotta go, you gotta go.' ;)

That said, my two cents is to make Siphon a narrator, like Copper in LotN. You're still the one with the master plan, he just has the time to keep it moving. You two can have jam sessions, plot behind our backs about what's gonna happen and stuff :D

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I think Shrike has the right idea here. Even with little time for reading or writing posts, if Siphon can give occasional updates and you can give the basic gist of what should be happening, then we can keep things somewhat authentic still. At the speed the RP will be going it shouldn't be hard to make a small list of stuff that can happen, missions, etc.

One thing I've been currious about. Did you think up this setting for the RP itself, or is it something you've had in your head for a while? A 'Hey, I could run an RP set in my universe' type of thing. It just reminds me of my own occasionally.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Most of the time I'm inspired by something else and knead in more and more of my own ideas until the original is no longer recognizable. I don't know what inspired me to do this RP (it could've been Serenity).

I did, however, have a part of it lying around for a while, which were the Telarin strangely enough. In hindsight I think this RP could've worked as a "First Encounter" type of thing where the players try to find out more about this alien, superior race.

I could send Siphon my notes and thoughts, of course. He's the one with the most Sci-Fi knowledge around, and truth be told I expected him to step in as I called out for a replacement GM. A collaboration would work as well.

Last edited:

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Similar thing with me. Find an inspiration and then trying to make something your own out of it. I'd have been willing to volunteer as well, but I'm no better able to time wise right now anyway.

And hey, I know my sci-fi too. Just because my character on other RPs here have all been more of the fantasy type doesn't mean I wasn't drawing technical diagrams of space craft when I was five. Strangely enough stargate must be one of the few I haven't seen much of.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Alright, I've sent the message to Siphon. At last. Yeah I know I'm a lazy ass but that's why I wanted to stop GMing this in the first place.

I'd like to continue playing Thall and Mara. Every other character, including Nadia, are NPCs. I'll hand them over to Siphon or whoever wants to pick them up.

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Receipt of message confirmed.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score