What's new

The Ranting/Debate Thread

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: The Ranting/Debate Thread

Believing that the theory of evolution is correct / is probably correct does not make you an atheist.

I am a Christian scientist. In my opinion science and religion can completely mix, and the simple reason why is that everything that happened before man happened the way it did because God wanted it to. Simple, really.

Just needed to throw that out there. So many people seem to say "No I don't believe in God, I believe in evolution."
I've mulled this around in my head too. It's most of the reason I'm unwilling to say, hands down, there is no higher power of some sort. I mean yeah, we can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that creationism is complete bullshit. But nobody's ever proven that what DID happen (evolution) wasn't a higher power's doing.

This also extends to the fact that I think it's completely silly when people say "well God doesn't exist because it's impossible, nobody can listen to billions of people praying at once, so, no way." Uh... God is supposed to be omnipotent, all-powerful, almighty. Which by definition means he can do whatever the fuck he wants to. Including but not limited to engineering evolution.

Whether or not this God is really a benevolent spirit or just a pack of advanced aliens fucking with us, I guess we'll never know, at least not in our lifetimes.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Believing that the theory of evolution is correct / is probably correct does not make you an atheist.

I am a Christian scientist. In my opinion science and religion can completely mix, and the simple reason why is that everything that happened before man happened the way it did because God wanted it to. Simple, really.

Just needed to throw that out there. So many people seem to say "No I don't believe in God, I believe in evolution."
Everyone except Americans knows that already.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

That... is kind of an asshole thing to say.

Sadly, it is probably also true. When half the world hates us, you can't really say it's for no reason. =\

Lurker
Reputation score

Sadly, it is probably also true.
I was going to post this before Alias had said anything, but I figure I was being overly critical and it was a joke. I no longer care. No. Furthermore, No and fuck you. Half the world hates America because it got itself into an international pissing contest as the only contestant. I get it. But that's a falsehood. I am certain, 100% positive, that somewhere on god's green earth out side of the USA there is a person that is just as stupid or even more stupid than the average American. I am equally certain that there are people as misguided, depraved, morally bankrupt, and rude or more so. The difference is that people are more ready to hate the American douches, due to the aforementioned pissing contest. There are stupid, nasty people in every race, nation, religion, all around the world, and it is simply wrong to single out a group as such when you should be targeting the morons and jerks.

I don't know where most of the people on this forum are from. Some members have shared, and some of those I've remembered. I generally have made a point of not giving a damn. You know why? It doesn't fucking matter.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I think it's just the fact that I've met more American douchebags than douchebags of any other nationality put together. Obviously, this could be just my viewpoint being skewed as I've never lived anywhere but America for more than a month. But you have to admit the possibility. There has to be a country in the world that has the highest percentage of douchebags. There can't be exactly the same ratio of douchebags in every single country in the world. Why is it hard to believe America is that country?

Lurker
Reputation score

It's not. I'm sure America has a plenty high douchebag ratio. But it's harder to believe that it's also the home of the largest moron ratio, and the largest religious fundamentalist ratio. As you pile on more and more groups it gets more and more unlikely. And people seem to love to pin these ratios on America because of the aforementioned global political climate.

And I don't seem to meet as many douchebags. Maybe it's because I'm an middle-class college student between the ages of 18 and 40 going to a university. Many of the ones I do meet are exchange students who have decided their superiority because of the same fucking attitude we're talking about right now and act as such. Isn't that ironic?

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

You know something... you're right Newbie. I haven't actually met many douchebags I just hear about them in the news a lot. Mainly because like you said I'm a middle class college student... that stays out of the bars. :'D

I'm tired of everyone pissing on the US's intelligence and general douchebaggery. I would have to say that Iran has more douchebags and idiots at the moment, due to extremist nutjobs.

Yeah, our extremists picket Military funerals, and shoot up schools, or blow themselves up in some sort of protest... but when was the last time an American Extremest killed over 3,000 innocent people in one go?

it's times like these though that i roll my eyes and go, "Why can't we all just get along!?" why do people have to make hateful comments about anyone?

I keep hearing, "All police are douchebags." I've heard it about soldiers, doctors, college guys, men in general, usually someone in a position of power, "All managers are douchebags." things like that. And then you have the national insults... I think the worst thing I've heard lately is that France is a bunch of Sissies. Seriously. Worst thing I've heard...

But the pattern I'm seeing is that certain groups of people are good people until someone steps on someone else's toes and then it's a namecalling match.

Seriously, we're members of an international forum brought together by a tentacle hentai game. None of us is more superior based on where we live, or what we do in our daily lives. We're all a bunch of FREAKS. I love ya'll... but we are.

this is probably not to coherent at 6AM, but stereotypes upset me. I think I made that clear enough.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I've been seeing the words ratios and percentages thrown around a bit concerning assholes and douchebags and bigots in America. I'd like to point out the simple fact that America may have a fair bit of these people, but the nation's population is much larger than a lot of other countries out there, so technically even if the States did have a huge number as assholes, does not mean that their percentage is high.

Also, because America is one of the major superpowers in the world, and as such have the ability to do things at an international level, it pisses people off. Perhaps its jealousy I don't really know, but its just something to factor in.

Really, I've gotten along quite well with many American's I've met. I worked with them overseas and they were good shit. Sure I've met some assholes, but I've also met asshole Brits, and Canadians, and Aussie's in my life.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

But it's harder to believe that it's also the home of the largest moron ratio, and the largest religious fundamentalist ratio.
This is a good point.

technically even if the States did have a huge number as assholes, does not mean that their percentage is high.
Another good point.

Unfortunately, statistically, when we elect a douchebag moron for our president - and then RE-ELECT him - it tends to point toward the fact that the majority of us are like-minded douchebag morons.

Also, Newbie, I was more referring to online douchebags that I've met. The cover of internet anonymity makes people show what they might hide when meeting them in person (seriously... ever play any mmo? 90% of the population in every mmo I've ever played are either complete fuckwads or retards who can't read their own skill tooltips. It's extremely rare to find players that know what the fuck they're doing AND aren't elitist fuckshits about it, and if you do they're usually banded together in a 'rock against the flood' guild. Then again, I've never played on other countries' servers, so I can see how my viewpoint might be skewed).

when was the last time an American Extremest killed over 3,000 innocent people in one go?
This is another good point. But when was the last time Iran's government declared a war on another country that costed thousands of lives, both military and civilian? I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I think Bush declaring war on terror was childish and stupid, and worst of all, influenced by what his father didn't finish in Iraq. However, the crimes these people commit are either done in the shadows or from the shadows, making them less of a target for global media than an all-out, public declaration of war.

France is a bunch of Sissies.
Well... they DO have a long history of surrendering instead of fighting, and always seeking peaceful solutions. While this is laudable, most of the world thinks with their testicles, and makes fun of them for it. *shrug* it's easy to think of new jokes regarding the French surrendering. It's not easy to constantly praise them. I mean, you praise someone for something, and then.... what? You continue praising them? That's not really realistic. It's much easier to make people laugh over something, because there are infinite ways of making fun of something. The first one that comes to my mind is Pirates of the Caribbean actually.... "Who ever thought up the word 'parlay'??" "That would be the French."

I have a sort of rants about stereotypes, too. I don't understand why people are offended by them. Now, I know this is going to get me into a lot of hot water, but... really... I don't get it. Stereotypical jokes are always made in one of two ways: joking or an attempt to be hurtful. If you're joking, then all parties concerned should know you're joking and that you don't really mean what you say. Example: I sometimes make fun of the French for being sissies even though rationally I know it's retarded to generalize an entire nation of people based on dead leaders' decisions. But it makes people laugh. There's nothing wrong with laughter as long as it's not hurtful. Just like when earlier in this thread someone stereotyped America (and brought up this whole conversation). I'm American and I laughed; I wasn't hurt at all. Some of it was because there's a nugget of truth in that, the other part was that we both know it's ridiculous to generalize the several billion people of this country. I didn't get all butt-hurt about it.
If someone is actively trying to hurt someone else by using stereotypes, racial slurs, sexism, etc, I equally fail to understand why people get upset about this. Clearly whoever is doing it is an ignorant, egotistical ass, and therefore warrents no attention from anybody - especially because people getting upset over what they say is what they want. It's probably not even their fault; they were just raised that way and don't know any other way to act. What is upsetting about that?

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

This is another good point. But when was the last time Iran's government declared a war on another country that costed thousands of lives, both military and civilian? I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I think Bush declaring war on terror was childish and stupid, and worst of all, influenced by what his father didn't finish in Iraq. However, the crimes these people commit are either done in the shadows or from the shadows, making them less of a target for global media than an all-out, public declaration of war.
Of course the fact that the extremists and Hussein were committing genocide against a separate sect of the same religion wasn't a good reason *eyeroll* we put Hussein in power in the first war, it was our job to take him out now. If it wasn't for us he'd still be butchering his own people, and starting look farther afield for people to gas. Now I just wish our boys could come home, but nooooo... Obama is sending MORE troops out to the middle east.

I don't agree with a lot of the decisions of the previous administration but people act now as if everything he did was the work of Satan, and Obama is the second coming of Christ. I hate seeing people praise Obama for doing the same things they criticized Bush for. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

There's a very fine line between doing what is right, and doing what is right and responsible.

The fact is, there are more third-world countries out there that genocide is taking place in. Are you saying we should go to all of them and wipe out their governmental structure and replace it with something we like? Yeah, it would be a GOOD thing to do. At first glance. But then the United States becomes the Global Police Force. But we already HAVE a global police force. It's called the UN. If there's an atrocity taking place, it's the UN's job to police it. Not ours. That's giving one country too much power. And when one country has that kind of power, it resembles a dictatorship. And that, of course, is exactly what we want to prevent - dictator's regimes. Democracy has proven to be a better form of government than dictatorships have, obviously, and that's why I heartily disapprove of Bush's rogue, loose-cannon actions. It sets a precedent, tells the world "we can do whatever the hell we want in global affairs, and to hell with the democratic United Nations that was designed for this purpose!" That really worries me.

Unfortunately, the whole situation in Iraq is a complete mess. Our troops stationed over there? The ones Obama won't pull out? They are integral to the country's structure now. It would be like yanking out the foundation of a building; the whole thing would tumble down and there would be anarchy in the streets. The country would turn into a worse mess than it was before we "intervened." The hard truth is, it's better for Iraq for our troops to stay than to come home. That's why Obama isn't pulling anybody out.

And I don't think your comment about people praising Obama for doing the same things as Bush is entirely appropriate. Obama never started a war with anybody; he just got saddled with the one his predecessor left behind. That said, if there's something that I don't know about the current administration doing something the Bush administration did, then that would upset me greatly. The whole issue about Obama going back on laws he wrote to save some friend of his really disappointed me. But, as they say, power corrupts even the best, and our current president is, of course, a politician, which by definition means he's a backstabbing, power-hungry snake. =P So it wasn't completely unexpected.

Lurker
Reputation score

I have a sort of rants about stereotypes, too. I don't understand why people are offended by them.
Go Go Gadget Psych Major!

A stereotype is the perception you have of a group based on your previous experience with them, in any form. This means that even hearing an off hand comment about a group can effect your idea of what this group is supposed to be. It is a mental short cut to save you time and keep you from evaluating everyone you meet because that would take a very long time. There are two steps when you use stereotype: 1-actually remembering the stereotype, and 2- either using that impression or making an effort to work through it and meet the person you've just judged.

People have a tendency to ignore things that don't fit the stereotype by creating a sub group for them, finding some aspect that doesn't fit the mold and using that to excuse it. They have a tendency to treat people according to the type rather than any action taken before hand. This is global, everyone does it.

It can be a useful tool, except that people seem far more willing to remember negative events than positive ones. It can be used for humor, except humor is extremely subjective and often requires a bit of wit or subtlety.

TL;DR: BLARGGAjfJfafavdsadfsdgfvsadvavgafbg

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I see what you're saying Alias, and this is the point where I have to respectfully disagree and step away from the keyboard for a little bit. I get a bit to heated in my discussions and I'm trying to cut down on that. Bad for the blood pressure you know.

Not to mention that we just had a storm pass over and I'm still freaking out. Astrapophobia- Fear of thunder and lightning. x.x

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The UN is interesting. Sure its a great idea and it does lots and lots of good for the world. But at the same time, there are countries on the boards that butt heads and prevent things from moving forward. The lack of a focused vision in the UN prevents much from actually getting done.

Meanwhile, NATO steps into Afghanistan. Originally to hunt down Al Qaeda and to take out the Taliban regime that came in after the Russians left. Now, they are there stabilizing the country, giving the people water, providing security, training their police and army so that they can be professional soldiers and cops. Building highways, schools, hospitals. Giving jobs to the unemployed over there. We are doing a lot of good, and there it is only in the territories of Southern Afghanistan that are a hotbed of violence. But, people don't separate between the peaceful Northern areas, or the urban Kabul, they only think desert and violence. People don't even think there is vegetation over there, but I was wading through trees, rivers, wheat fields, pot fields, grape fields, tall grass etc. There is a lot that you will not learn about the situation overseas, and Iraq is included here as well, from the news. The media likes to make soldiers seem like monsters, I've seen it a lot, but we're not.

Anyway, I'm getting way off track there. What I'm getting at is this, the troops are still needed over there to do a job. We leave now, we might as well give the country a gun and a single bullet to end its own life. Again, Afghanistan for my example. Those who fought against the Russians, the Muhjadien (don't think I spelled that right) were pushed to the North by this upstart group of young men who couldn't even read. They wanted Afghanistan to be fully Islamic, and with what I've been told by the locals over there, they brought it back decades. Decades of cultural, economic and scientific progress, brought to shambles by religious fanatics who used their religion to back up their bigotry and hatred. So, civil war raged. When we came in, the people who were not from the same tribe as the Taliban were grateful, and happy. They still are. So when I was over there, I fought alongside and even sat down and played a game of chess with a man who fought the Russians.

We even had Afghan army members at our Christmas dinner. Islamic soldiers, and predominately Christian soldiers sitting together and enjoying a meal during a Christian holiday. Afghan locals would invite us into their homes for bread and tea.

I'd also like the bring up this point about pulling out of the Middle East. Please note that this next portion is somewhat graphic, but I'm sure you lot can take it. When the Russians pulled out of that area of the world, they no longer had pressure on the extremists. Al Qaeda and Taliban decided to take revenge against the Russians, and sent fanatics from Chechnya to a small town in Russia. I cannot remember the name of it right now, it started with a "B", but they got there on the first day of public school, and took the children and parents hostage. For three days the were locked in the gym, and father's and son's were executed whilst mother's and daughter's raped, sometimes with gun barrels. After the second day, the mother's were said they could go home, but only if they left their children behind for more torture and rape. Only one mother stayed. It wasn't until after the third day that the Russian's finally stormed the school and eventually killed the fanatics.

Now, this has also happened in Isreal, and has been threatened against Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States. So, yes we can pull out before we're done, but only if you want to fight them here were our own civilians and children will be at risk.

Wow... I got way off course there.

Regardless those are my views gathered from what I've seen and experienced over there and from what I've gathered from intelligence reports and history lessons. If this doesn't influence your opinion at all, fine, I just think you should look a little harder at everything that is happening.

Yes we loose men and women over there, but Canada has lost many more in one month from traffic accidents then lost in Afghanistan over our entire mission. I'm sure it goes the same in the States. (slightly skewed statistic too so don't argue me on this one I'm aware)

Now I need a drink.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah. Chibi I don't mean to heat your blood up - I just don't think you quite understand the situation over there. I don't really, either, but from what I've read, it sounds like pulling out of the country will cause it to self-destruct. From what I understand, Obama is only doing what he has to, and would like as much as you or me to pull our troops out. The problem is (as I understand it, again, I could be wrong) that that would be even more irresponsible than going there in the first place.

Well, maybe that was a bad choice of words. We did do a lot of good over there, and I don't think most of the Afghani or Iraqi population regrets it. Of course sinful would know more about it than I would. So essentially I'm saying I agree with you, but here's why Obama can't do what we want - not because he doesn't want to, and not out of poor leadership choices.

Sorry to add on to your stress =( I myself suffer from a severe case of arachnophobia. My first year in college, when I was still living in dorms, there was this half-inch big spider in the shower. Not huge, but not small either. I freaked - yelped like a little schoolgirl and almost ran out butt naked.

@newbie: that was actually pretty interesting. good information to know. But if that's the 'real' definition of stereotype, what do you call, say... I don't know... the stereotype that Kenyans are fast runners? what I mean to say is, I know not all Kenyans are fast runners, and in fact I have never met a Kenyan to experience whether or not s/he was a fast runner, and yet I know the stereotype exists. It's like... someone else's stereotype. So how would I refer to my perception of Kenyans? (that question really doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how to word it.. sorry)

@sinful: Yeah, that's the issue with every democracy, and why dictatorships seem so attractive. "If I were in power with nobody to answer to, I could do things right" mentality. That's more an issue with human failing than the UN though, I think.
After reading that, I think I'd need a drink too.

Lurker
Reputation score

that was actually pretty interesting. good information to know. But if that's the 'real' definition of stereotype, what do you call, say... I don't know... the stereotype that Kenyans are fast runners? what I mean to say is, I know not all Kenyans are fast runners, and in fact I have never met a Kenyan to experience whether or not s/he was a fast runner, and yet I know the stereotype exists. It's like... someone else's stereotype. So how would I refer to my perception of Kenyans? (that question really doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how to word it.. sorry)
Someone else's stereotype is someone else's stereotype. If it's an idea that's widely held it's probably more commonly seen, either in real life or (as in your example) through the media. You do not need direct experience with a group to form a stereotype.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

@sinful: Yeah, that's the issue with every democracy, and why dictatorships seem so attractive. "If I were in power with nobody to answer to, I could do things right" mentality. That's more an issue with human failing than the UN though, I think.
After reading that, I think I'd need a drink too.
Twas my essential point about the UN... though I don't know if I would call it human "failing". In a way it could be considered as such, but those countries are butting heads because what is good for one nation, is bad for another. Everyone looks out for their own.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Hmm. You have a point there. I guess I just automatically stereotype (heh) all politicians as bureaucratic douchebags.

And yeah I was sort of restating your point, didn't mean to come off as trying to give you information you didn't already know =D

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

As my friend's cousin once said, "When you grow up, you learn: ALL people are douchebags."

ANYWAYS.

The U.N. is nice in idea, but it's really fucking bullshit. If the leaders would actually get together and come to agreements, it would be awesome; as it stands now, however, it might as well be an IRC chat with everyone trying to make everyone else see that THEY have the biggest penis. And balls. AND tits.
o_O

In all seriousness, I really do hope that there's an alien threat out there in the universe that we're forced to band together against. We'll either finally get along - we don't have to like each other, just get along - or we'll get fucking wiped out / spread out among the stars, like or something.

Oh god, I hope lil' Kim-jong doesn't get his own planet o.o