What's new

RPG Patreon Active [Threshold] Monster Girl Dreams

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
So I started making a mod, which quickly spiraled out of my control so I think it'll take a while more. There's actually a lot more stuff going on than I noticed as a player.

Capacity for modding is very good, I just wish we had better tools for making perks. Right now the list of perk effects is very limited.

Are there any major updates planned for v14 that could affect modding options? Should I wait for it before releasing the mod?
There will be some new perk options next patch and some changes to the requires field.
And possibly some other stuff.
Really the modding options usually get additions or changes each patch.

Holy crap I beat Sofia! I forgot to save scum during the fight, got knocked to one spirit point with arousal at 586/650, and was dangerously close to rage quitting when I finally beat her! My personal mission has been completed, now to wait for the next update so I may set a new and equally insane personal goal for myself.
Also, the fight didn't restart for me once I beat her so I believe that bug has indeed been fixed in the current version.
Congratulations!
This clearly means I need to make her harder to beat.
Actually she really just needs to get rebalanced so she's beatable by normal means and not a giant health sponge.

featherstep

Reputation score
Congratulations!
This clearly means I need to make her harder to beat.
Actually she really just needs to get rebalanced so she's beatable by normal means and not a giant health sponge.

I think the problem with Sofia is that she just isn't weak to anything. Is there any chance that we can eventually learn some holy skills from the church? And have them scale off of something weird like Luck so it's not too OP? Just a thought. This game is pretty sweet, keep up the good work.

Dataslycer

Cthulhu
Reputation score
I wonder if Sofia is meant to be a bonus boss of a sort. it would be funny if she was actually more powerful than many of the bosses after her but is too lazy to really do much.

Williamtheshatner

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
When she first came out she really wasn't meant to be beaten at all. She really isn't still to this day, but perhaps she'll be reworked a little later. As is, I think it's honestly pretty nice to have something that's as big a challenge as she is to fight.
And I can totally get behind the too lazy thing. Seems pretty in character for her.

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
v14 is now out!

Check the changes in the change log in the first post.

darkwhite1602

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
nothing new story wise or enemy wise? Except for kyra, I guess.

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
nothing new story wise or enemy wise? Except for kyra, I guess.
Content changes for this one are the new kyra content.
Alraune got a tune up and loss scene extended.
Elf has one new loss scene.

And a bunch of enemies have new combat dialogue.

But overall not a bunch of new stuff. Was mostly a bunch of pre-emptive stuff in preperation for the future updates, tuning game balance, and adding player options.

Plan for v15 currently is to update the brothel and add post-mountain, mountain content. Probably more stuff too but haven't finalized the plan yet.

Shivan Hunter

Lurker
Reputation score
Loving the game so far!

So, I'm into some pretty weird shit - specifically, I have a fetish for graphical user interfaces. So I modded one for MGD.

Screenshots:
Download link (v14):

Installation: Have a save that's in town (so the mod won't fuck with any active screens), then copy the "game" and "renpy" folders into your game directory, overwriting any existing files.

Uninstallation: It's easiest to just delete the entire modded game and re-extract the vanilla game. Ren'Py puts saves in AppData so your saves should be fine - just have a save in town that you can load.

This is a "mod", but it's not using the json modding API - I'm rewriting a ton of the Ren'py code. So basically, this is gonna break with every update (even the tiny hotfixes. especially the tiny hotfixes). I can generally update the mod pretty quickly after an update gets released.

I'm not 100% satisfied with it, but I can't tell at this point whether it's crap or I've just been staring at it for too long.

Threshold: I dunno if this is any good or if it fits the aesthetic you have in mind, but feel free to use any of this stuff if you want to!

Williamtheshatner

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I definitely think that interface is cool. It really kind of looks almost like a typical RPG kind of game. I'm not sure if I like it more than the original, but I suppose that's something for Threshold to decide and not me.

Btw grats on the first post. Don't forget, you're here forever.

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I've said it before but the game is really everything you could want from a text-based game. I love the attention to detail with character descriptions and the personalities of every individual monster girl.

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
The first spider event seems to be bugged, if you go in the cave at all it crashes the game right after she says protein.

Cryswar

Demon Girl
Reputation score
God almighty the new elf/alraune scenes are amazing.

Also them modding tools... hoo boy.

Williamtheshatner

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The first spider event seems to be bugged, if you go in the cave at all it crashes the game right after she says protein.
Something something pun on bugged even though technically she's an arachnid something something

I recreated it and have the error message here.
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/gamecode/adventureCode/adventuring.rpy", line 449, in script call
    call displayScene from _call_displayScene_3
  File "game/gamecode/dialogueSystem.rpy", line 893, in script call
    call eventDialogueMenu from _call_eventDialogueMenu
  File "game/gamecode/adventureCode/adventuring.rpy", line 325, in script call
    call displayScene from _call_displayScene_2
  File "game/gamecode/dialogueSystem.rpy", line 643, in script
    menu menuList:
Exception: Unknown text tag u'thePlayerName'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/gamecode/dialogueSystem.rpy", line 643, in script
    menu menuList:
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1531, in execute
    choice = renpy.exports.menu(choices, self.set)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 874, in menu
    rv = renpy.store.menu(items)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1061, in display_menu
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='menu', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2635, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3118, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2041, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "render.pyx", line 485, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
  File "render.pyx", line 233, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 711, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "render.pyx", line 145, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 711, in render
  File "C:\Users/Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 661, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1110, in render
    st, at)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\text\text.py", line 1807, in render
    virtual_layout = Layout(self, width, height, renders, drawable_res=False, size_only=True)
  File "C:\Users\Desktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\text\text.py", line 561, in __init__
    self.paragraphs = self.segment(text.tokens, style, renders, text)
  File "C:\UsersDesktop\MonGirlDreams-Alpha-v14-pc\renpy\text\text.py", line 1067, in segment
    raise Exception("Unknown text tag %r" % text)
Exception: Unknown text tag u'thePlayerName'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.2.3333
Monster Girl Dreams Alpha-v14
Sun Apr 29 09:52:42 2018

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
v14.1 is out with bug fixes. and spider fixes.

God almighty the new elf/alraune scenes are amazing.

Also them modding tools... hoo boy.
Well technically the alraune one isn't new, just improved.

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Despite a few bugs (It's Alpha), this game is high quality. If people love Monster Girls they should be all over this, this is good in the same way Zell's stuff is good except interactions are more dynamic in this, some people can't get into the text-only thing, but if i could buy stock in this i definitely would. Fenoxo is making nearly 400,000 a year on his Patreon for his text-based games which is way more than anyone else who works in the English Hentai scene as far as i know. I can't wait for the next content update.

Kaa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Okay, I want to clear something up about modding.

Say I want to add a new event to mountain and share it with people. I understand that I have to add "MyEventName" to the list of events in mountain.json. But whenever Threshold updates the location, my mod would break. The change in file is trivial and can be done by anybody, so hence the question. Should I even include the mountain.json with my mod, or only ship custom mod files and let the user add the mod encounter to his game(edit the json file) himself?
And a question about the skillList, monsterList and perkList files. Are they generated automatically by the game or I have to append my custom skills/perks to them manually? And if its manual, how should it be handled so mod doesn't break every time new skills are added during development?

Last edited:
OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Okay, I want to clear something up about modding.

Say I want to add a new event to mountain and share it with people. I understand that I have to add "MyEventName" to the list of events in mountain.json. But whenever Threshold updates the location, my mod would break. The change in file is trivial and can be done by anybody, so hence the question. Should I even include the mountain.json with my mod, or only ship custom mod files and let the user add the mod encounter to his game(edit the json file) himself?
And a question about the skillList, monsterList and perkList files. Are they generated automatically by the game or I have to append my custom skills/perks to them manually? And if its manual, how should it be handled so mod doesn't break every time new skills are added during development?
All of the lists work the same so you have to put you files into each one.

But now that you menton it this does seem like a pain to deal with from a modding stand point, maybe I should make a sperate list for each thing that I leave blank and can be changed without worry of needing to get updated. Barring adding multiple mods.

Kaa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
sperate list for each thing that I leave blank and can be changed without worry of needing to get updated. Barring adding multiple mods.
Sounds like we'll need a script that merges the main game's lists, and all provided mod lists. So users can simply run it when needed, and not worry about editing list files every time there's an update/a new mod.

I guess for now I'll just include all required files/lists for v14.1 and add an explanation how to update mod for newer versions.

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Sounds like we'll need a script that merges the main game's lists, and all provided mod lists. So users can simply run it when needed, and not worry about editing list files every time there's an update/a new mod.

I guess for now I'll just include all required files/lists for v14.1 and add an explanation how to update mod for newer versions.
Well I was thinking single mod list for each thing, enemy, skills ext.
As multiple would allow for other to get merged together a bit easier but would still require either a way for it to detect the files or a list to find the mod lists.

Mauno

Reputation score
Would be nice if price of skills in shops was shown without having to hover over the specific skill.
Is there any way to see how far along I'm in an adventure? Sure it's relatively easy to just remember it but it'd still be nice to be able to check it.
I'm assuming that points you get from levels are fixed but might be worth mentioning the pattern you get them in somewhere.
How do I sell stuff?

Slime's Gooey grapple says "flings herself at you and begins to cover him with slime!" the him should probably be you.

Any kind of sounds and music would be nice, surely there's some free to use music that'd be fitting or you could use a music generator like abundant-music.com even if it's not super good it'd be better than nothing.

When struggling I've gotten a few an exceptions.

Attachments

Last edited: