What's new

Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

hmn.. pondering Sylvias action. Ic powering through makes sense, but the situation clearly calls for her to deal with something else first. Like reversing a grapple. Hold on, what about that, can't I use an unarmed attack on the hat as well, in theory use my action to grapple it? *tips chin*

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It has already grappled you, so until you break loose, your move speed is 0.

You can make an unarmed attack on the mimic from the grapple, if you don't want to try to escape from it.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

No the thing is, tavern brawler allows me a free grapple attemt if I hit something, I wonder if I can use that to reverse the grapple. PUNCH THE HAT! BAD HAT!

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yes, you can attempt to grapple it if you successfully hit and then make a successful grapple check. But you're still grappled. It's just that you'll give the mimic a grappled condition as well.

By my reading of 5e rules, there is no reversing the grapple.

In order to have a speed above 0, you need to either successfully escape with an action, or to incapacitate the mimic.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's a bit weird you can't move freely with a hat on her hand, but yes, that'd change my actions.. final question, wihle it counts as grappling, os only on her head, so would weapon usage really be influence?

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Slimy tentacle mimic goo is splashing out of the mimic hat and it's binding up Sylvia all over her body, and trying to get inside her clothes/armor as well.

So you can still attack and use your weapon, but you can't move until you free yourself or incapacitate the mimic (or someone else does.)

For the record, Initiative Order is:

Mimic
Morgantha
Sylvia
Esvele
Vita
Ireena (whose actions can be controlled by Diagasvesle if they want. If no order is given, her action is DMs discretion)

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, tavern bralwer lets me convert a sucessufl meleee attack into a grapple atack bonus, so technically can Sylvia gain control of the hat by punching it and pullig it off slap the ebal hlelmet! rolse ast the satand!?

Last edited:

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ah. I'll change my actions accordingly after seeing everyone elses since I go last.

Am planning for Ireena to go for a frisking attempt on Morgantha to find the black stone. But that will change depending on circumstances.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, tavern bralwer lets me convert a sucessufl meleee attack into a grapple atack bonus, so technically can Sylvia gain control of the hat by punching it and pullig it off slap the ebal hlelmet! rolse ast the satand!?
A successful hit gives you the chance to grapple the enemy. This inflicts the grappled condition on them. It doesn't free you from your own grappled condition.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

But sucessfully grabbing the hat myselfs should remove disadvanatage and allow me to remove the hat.. If I make the grab heck, correct? ^^

Tempted to let my actions stand, but focus on the hat, just cause its funny to let srs fighter gal fight to grab a hat first.

btw,, just relalized:

Not sure if dangerous or hot. whats the DC for taming a mimick? :p

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Nope. Doesn't remove disadvantage, because that is a mimic trait, not a general grappling rules trait.

If rage gives you advantage on STR checks, then you can the disadvantage out.

Since the Hat = Mimic, and I've said that grappling something that grapples you doesn't mean that you are ungrappled, I think the rules are pretty clear on this. Beyond that, I've also said that the Hat Mimic is grappling you with the aid of adhesive goo, which is a part of it.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ah I see. Grabbing it wouldn't necessarily help my case. I want a pet-mimick now. Damn if we had Rovana here.. hmnnn..Problem is Sylvia really has no clue about mimicks..

Alrigh then, changing my action, posting anew.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oh. Can't do hex and hold person combo. Both of them are Concentration Based Spells. Which means only one of them can be held at a time. I derped much much earlier. Ah well. Now isn't the time to worry.

EDIT: Vita is currently not dictating any actions to Ireena, trusting in Ireena's own ability to figure out what is best.

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oh my. Respect to Blue for taking me by suprise, Pandora Hearts style.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I was hesitating to pull the trigger on that reveal, but glad that it was at least appreciated.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I was hesitating to pull the trigger on that reveal, but glad that it was at least appreciated.
I am so rarely caught by suprise. Harrowing event + unlocked? :p

It leaves things uncertain which makes things interesting. Rovana was struggling with her identity anyway.. now that has a strong roleplay reflection. It's usually hard to do the total 180, but I believe this one works, due to things Rovana has questioned in the path.

edit: path? past. I guess the past is path :p

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I had always intended to have a reveal like this, but the details of it were polished during play. Makes Rovana's actions now much more about self-discovery too.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I had always intended to have a reveal like this, but the details of it were polished during play. Makes Rovana's actions now much more about self-discovery too.
In retrospect you left things vague at some bits, thats why I like it, it works. I am kind of disappointed you didn't make a Rovana having to do some soul-searching pun right now though. :p

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Puns aren't the foundation of my DMing style.

And yes it is vague still, but the truth is much more a solid thing in my mind at this point than it was at the beginning.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Puns aren't the foundation of my DMing style.
Well now you just open yourself up to the question what is.

It changes the hero-dynamic in that all that applies to Molly, getting tricked by an ancient evil but staying as its seal and guardian, now also applies to Rovana, but at the same time it changes the victim-dynamic of the setting were Rovana moves from unlucky to doing a misdeed she doesn't even fully remember, which seems a strong core of Ravenloft motivation, it also makes dealing with Dagon finally personal, the one thing I'd have done differently was making Molly mention a pact with Dagon rather than the Dark powers, because one of those the player is ment to fight and demand a refund from, the other not so much, unless you -want- to set Rovana up against the evil of the plane itself.

And this all is of course assuming Molly isn't simply a deluded fraction of a soul remaining, or even still herself, there is both the possibility that she simply heard Rovanas dreams and desires and got confused about her, being a friend of the soul that would move on to become Rovana, not guilty of what happened in a past life if she was involved at all, or, more extremly it is also possible that this is all a ploy from Dagon who more than likely has acess to some of Rovanas surface thoughts and has shown the potential to influence the minds of others, add to that that Molly now appears changed deeply I'd say there is a more than fair chance an entity as ancient as that would seek to psychologically attack Rovana and know that normal threats or fear alone don't really work on her. Though, unbinding Rovana from her identity has actually the opposite effect, yes she questions who she is even more, but now she can truly define it for herself, not held back by her own backstory.
There is also the fact that, memories are unreliable, fickle things, and we all try to present ourselfs as the heroes of our own stories. If we assume Rovana was the Dilisnya of the time, in love with Ludmilla, either human or vampire, why would she seek to flee and without her? Why not do exactly what she does right now? How'd Molly fit into that at all?
My favourite theory other than the Dagon manipulation is that. spoilering so you dun feel obliged to change it if I'm right.. ^^
not all Molly said there was true, or rather she says the truth but skews the facts, out of selfish reasons. I still think that Molly was the one actively contacting the dark powers, tricking or cajoling the Dilisnya to go along, even if with good intentions and truly not knowing Dagons deception.
I like this theory because, someone growing up in a family that opposes the evil of Barovia shouldn't be so gullible as to fall for an evil pact easily, though an offer from a friend is another thing.. sure, the Dilisnya might have tried to escape the extinction of her family line, but I find this unlikely, what I do have to go by is how I roleplayed Rovana so far, and she only retreats to strike again, not because 'I have to survive!' just see her past fights, with all but Wachter she moved about the place, fleeing, only to strike at her pursuers when she had an upper hand.. heck, its what she is doing IC -right now-.
If we presume that the Dilisnyas soul was around at the bottom of the ocean, that makes Molly less selfless than she portrayed herself in the first account already, because she actually wasn't all alone guarding dagon at all, my theory is that she was with someone she truly loved, wanted to save from the darkness.. even if that one loved another. Another strong evidence for this is that molly has had little problem appearing infront of Rovana when other people were present, but never with Ludmilla... furthermore, her first sentence of the revelation, Rovana hanging out with the vampires, gets a lot more weight if you play in jealousy, known or unknown, after all, if Molly was exclusively worried about Rovana spending her time not dealing with Dagon, well, she wasted almost 3 days, counting traveltime, at Lady Wachters and trying to aquire the gem, whereas she spent barely 1 full day combined at Ravenloft and then with Ludi AND was more sucessful retrieving things from Ravenloft. If Molly was purely interested in her soul being safe and Dagon going down, she should be more annoyed about Rovana wasting time being a toy for devil worshippers... but of course we don't know if Molly didn't appear to Rovana to comfort her there and then.. It also potentially explains why she sacrified so much and why she kept things secret, but always kept following Rovana.. rather than remain and try to seal Dagon up still all by herself, yet at the same time would allow her to want to give up the dead girls body to the other soul. Sure, it may just be because her soul is bound to the sword, Dagon, or Rovana, but at the same time it is rather stalker-ghostly. It also opens the potential up that she wants to guilt-manipulate Rovana as the same once more gets up close and personal to Ludmilla... or can be corrupted by Dagon as the four days progress, despite falling for him once before. It'd even open up a tragic spin on things, were Dagon could try to play both against another... sadly, he..it? Is the only one that could properly verify the story..

Or perhaps I'm overthinking this. :p Either way, Rovana is motivated to encounter Dagon and find out more about the Dilisnya family, not just busy herself being best lovepet there is for Ludmilla.. though thats a good motivation too. :p

Last edited: