What's new

UOU's Game devolopement area

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score
Re: UOU's Game devolopement area

The shape of the metal going across the barrel doesn't really make sense. It might if you were really close to the object because of perspective, but even then the top doesn't have the same direction.

With this sort of thing, if you're showing stuff from a side view you should generally stick to a total side view, to keep things consistent. If you want to show something from the top or bottom, you have to adjust all the "arcs". By arc I mean like the bottom and top of the barrel, for instance.

Also, with colors, a general rule of thumb is that bright colors have more saturation, and shadows have less. So in addition to brightness, lower or raise the saturation with each tone.

You can also shift the hue of your colors with each tone. In this example, 1 being the brightest tone.

Common hue shifts are..

Red has orange highlights
green has yellow highlights,
blue has cyan highlights.

With shadows you almost always shift "towards" blue, because being a cool color it makes things appear to be farther back. So you're basically shifting your highlight from a hot color to a cool color.

OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Yea the barrel was shitty designed, i could of at least looked at a real one for reference.... alright more bright more saturation, less for dark, this is where i ran into a question my colors are probably still too closely knit but you said i should always pick the cooler color to make sure my darkest shadow color gets cooler.

So I did a edit but I'm still not quite sure what is the best way too choose the darker cooler tone. I still have dark brown here, i find it a little too dark but I'll keep it there for now so i can show my example as is
I opened the color picker to shift the hue from the last color to a bluer tone. Am I not doing this correctly? If so how far up or down the spectrum is it necessary to go?

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

I don't know how to switch to it, but this is the color selector that you're looking for in photoshop, it makes hue and saturation shifting much simpler.

Edit : Click the H: Radial circle. For HENTAI obviously. Or S, or B. See which one you prefer.

Last edited:
OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I don't know how to switch to it, but this is the color selector that you're looking for in photoshop, it makes hue and saturation shifting much simpler.

Edit : Click the H: Radial circle. For HENTAI obviously. Or S, or B. See which one you prefer.

Nah I knew about the color selector stuff already and H defiantly stands for hentai, I switched from H to focus on B witch is bluer hues or is it better to just stick in the H selector color picker and find what works, I was asking if i should go very high up from the dark color to a more purplish hue or is it really better to try to find what works best by playing around with them a bit in the hue selection and testing. Anyways i tried another 2 new colors for the two last darker colors to a purple hue in the blue hue selection.

So it went from
to
i think I got too dark of a purple there.

Last edited:

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

I choose colors literally by moving sliders in intervels. In the above case, I move to the left in hue, because it's going "around" to purple. I don't choose a color without the original color selected first to move from.

Try using B, the other B.

A Marionette

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Nice tutorial Kyrieru, i too always have difficulties pixeling nature:(

OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Ok now it went from this
to this

to this
. Anyways I'm going to take a little break from environment stuff to animate the basic character actions but I'm going to get back to this soon.

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

Ok now it went from this
to this

to this
. Anyways I'm going to take a little break from environment stuff to animate the basic character actions but I'm going to get back to this soon.
Err...I think you need to use a different color selector. You're increasing brightness (luminosity) when you should be lowering it :/

There are three elements to a color you need to worry about,

Brightness (0% is black, 100% is white)
Hue (red,green,blue)
Saturation (Amount of color. 0% is grey, 100% would be a vivid color)

With each darker shade you,

Lower brightness
Lower saturation
Shift hue towards blue

OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Yes Sensei san, I think i understand why i didn't go darker, I didn't pay enough attention to your last example. I'll try another after i get back.

Edit: Wow Kyrieu's a real Sensei now he's got a university degree and everything bellow his name.

Got around to making a new barrel and redo the tree

I think if everything in the environment stays around this quality it'll look decent i hope.

The progressiveness of the barrel so far
I wonder if the 2 second of last ones could be used as background barrels cuz they got that faded look to them or maybe they are not dark enough.

Simplifying the main character
Got rid of a few needless colors and brightened it up a bit and added a few details went from 30 different colors to 25, I limited 4 colors max per each aspect but the armor would have five if the two trim details count.

Another edit: Started to get all art aspects organized and planed out and scheduled and have begun planing the first levels lay out it'll be simple with a bit of variety won't be difficult at all but will still take some caution in some areas.

Last edited:
OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Small update:

Got a lot done but still working on a lot of things,everything is in very rough shape though I'm gonna spend some time refining areas, I'll start by polishing the main character now that I got most of her mechanics to work smoothly and allmost all of her sprites finished they just require more time to look more polished.

screen of the game as of now, as you can see still needs tons of work hud is temporay for testing hp an variables

Twisted1

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Looking good! Keep up the hard work!

golwas

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Looks good so far dude. Makes me think of the Sega Genesis for some reason.

OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Looks good so far dude. Makes me think of the Sega Genesis for some reason.
That's good to hear, I'm trying to capture sort of a in-between graphically of that era of console video games like the Super Nintendo and the Genesis and also trying to also keep it consistent.

OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Well still trying to get my sprite animations to look decent
i'm starting to get closer to the result I want but I still feel like it could be better I guess.I'm probably going to get rid of this one
I feel it's a little too jumpy for a idle sprite I'll probably just do a less dynamic one once I get the attack and jump animations refined properly.

MajinLuffy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I don't dislike the idle sprite, I feel it's just not for an idle position. To me looks like she's "carefully" moving forward ready to fight.

Btw, I loved Actraiser, great game. I hope to see your game finished someday :D

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

The vertical movement in your running sprite doesn't seem to follow much of a pattern.

For running sprites, think of it in four images

In the frame where the legs are going straight down, shift down. (or don't move it)
In the frames where the legs are extended horizontally, shift the sprite up.

In walking animations it's generally the opposite.

Likewise, the breasts are sort of bobbing up and down, but not based on any vertical movement.

Last edited:
OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

The vertical movement in your running sprite doesn't seem to follow much of a pattern.

For running sprites, think of it in four images

In the frame where the legs are going straight down, shift down. (or don't move it)
In the frames where the legs are extended horizontally, shift the sprite up.

In walking animations it's generally the opposite.

Likewise, the breasts are sort of bobbing up and down, but not based on any vertical movement.
Yea I'm still working on it and I honestly forgot about my pattern once I got to animating the top parts of her the only time her body moves up is the last sprite so it makes it look a little weird and doesn't match the legs movements.I still have to get the torso(the breasts still need more work) and the bopping up and down done properly but that's mainly because I only slightly edited the last version, it extended too far forward and the breast animation fit that version a little better
. The new one in my last post is less lunge like now and more compact like your example .

Anyways it's still going to be awhile before I'm completely convinced that they are finished, thanks for the feedback and tips it helps me see the things I'm not seeing.

Last edited:

killzone184

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

oo this looks really interesting whats the status of the game? and is there a demo of some sort or there isnt one??

OP
UrineOnU

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

oo this looks really interesting whats the status of the game? and is there a demo of some sort or there isnt one??
No demo yet, I only have a test room right now and it'll be boring to play as of right now so i haven't posted it here.

edit:Started to plan the enemy's designs and boss design concepts,the first boss will be the "The Shackled Witch Camilla" It'll be stationary boss bound to her resting place but it will require some timing and pattern dodging nothing too difficult for the beginning of the game

Last edited: