What's new

Video Games & The Personas Behind Them

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Video Games & The Personas Behind Them

So my only guess to them being girls is their silly name + female gendered avatar.
Yeah... that's not enough to guess they're female. Playing through certain games I've seen guys use feminine names and female avatars for shits and giggles. In games like Vindictus they'll do it because the only way to play a mage character is be a female.

However, I will agree with Oni on the whole "white knighting" thing. It bugs me when a guy will stick up for a chick... simply because she's a chick. She could be an utter bitch and deserve every little bit of crap she's getting, but this guy will still stand up for her because it's a female. Maybe it's also because I don't like the fact that there's people out there who think I need protecting simply because I'm female.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Maybe it's also because I don't like the fact that there's people out there who think I need protecting simply because I'm female.
I don't protect you because you're female, it's because you're so cuddly :3

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I don't protect you because you're female, it's because you're so cuddly :3
Just cause the title is there does not mean it is true.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I dunno, I've had some pretty cuddly times...

OP
E

Exofluke

Yeah... that's not enough to guess they're female. Playing through certain games I've seen guys use feminine names and female avatars for shits and giggles. In games like Vindictus they'll do it because the only way to play a mage character is be a female.
I think I even have evidence to support that claim, lol.

(the erotica artist) has a female avatar. Heh, some blonde chick with a business suit getup and glasses... Sawao is a dude.

In any case, it's just a repetitive system that seems to apply to the gamers who have the female-based setups. I'm still playing though, so I'll see if I can't find someone who breaks the whole thing apart. I should probably start playing other games. Maybe MW2 will make the case. xDDDD

Last edited:

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Generally people like to act nicer in RPG's than FPS's.
So what we need is an FPS-RPG-OMG?

Oh, and Exofluke, while talking about Sawao... Zone-sama?

Lurker
Reputation score

You'll find that the mindset required of most shooters does not lend itself well to cooperative play. In the story mode you are the conquering hero, infallible and indefatigable. You don't get help because you don't need it. This is the idea constantly reinforced to the player throughout the 10(+-) hours of the campaign, though it's usually indirect. Then you hop online and play a team-based game with five other people who've just spent a good amount of time being the unstoppable savior of humanity? Yeah, that'll work out.

RPGs tend to focus on role specialization, which means that you will always be suited to a particular sort of challenge, and that you will often need help with challenges not suited to you. This promotes socialization among the players, because if you're a dickbag word gets around and fewer people will be willing to help you when you need it.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I've ran into griefing a few times (I've used dragon_kid for many of my steam game names, due to it being my default off of creation, and one time in a TF2 server I had a idiot spend a few rounds trying to claim I had 20 or so Bad Dragon dildos. I chalked it to jealousy due to the fact I've been topping the leaderboard most the time on the server, and beyond a few curt responses I just kept playing like I usually do), but I think worse of all in my opinion is blatent cheating systems. I also play a MMOTPS called Gunz, and while the community is semi-lax about cheating programs in the extremelyl tough Quest mode, try to use a cheat program in a Attack and Defense or Team Deathmatch server and everyone starts screaming.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I've ran into griefing a few times (I've used dragon_kid for many of my steam game names, due to it being my default off of creation, and one time in a TF2 server I had a idiot spend a few rounds trying to claim I had 20 or so Bad Dragon dildos. I chalked it to jealousy due to the fact I've been topping the leaderboard most the time on the server, and beyond a few curt responses I just kept playing like I usually do), but I think worse of all in my opinion is blatent cheating systems. I also play a MMOTPS called Gunz, and while the community is semi-lax about cheating programs in the extremelyl tough Quest mode, try to use a cheat program in a Attack and Defense or Team Deathmatch server and everyone starts screaming.

Don't even get me started on MOTHER FUCKING GUNZ. God-mode, trainers, move/reload/fire-speed increasers, auto-blocking, auto-whatever...

About the most fun I had in that game was when I finally had access to rockets and I just spammed the FUCK out of people. Yeah, try to block an AoE, BITCH. See how far your ass-hattery gets you NOW.

It just quickly became an unplayable game for me. There was no joy to be had when no matter how skilled you are, someone can just run a program and be nigh-invincible if not TOTALLY invincible. No skill, no attempt to be good, just load up some data and BOOM, insta-win.

Yes, you can report people. Yes, plenty of people have been sacked from my understanding. You know what those people do? Just start up a new account and do it all over again.
And then there are the people who never get tossed out, no matter HOW blatantly they're cheating.

OP
E

Exofluke

Oh, and Exofluke, while talking about Sawao... Zone-sama?
Well, when I said avatar I meant it in regards to the 360. Unless of course you're saying that zone has an xbox and his avatar is also female...

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Knowing him, probably.

OP
E

Exofluke

So I've ran into a couple of people who've had the gull to message me because they were that upset. Both cases were dudes... so there goes that theory.

Although, could anyone expect a chick to rage on a game like MK (meant to be said with a hint of sarcasm)?

Lurker
Reputation score

So what we need is an FPS-RPG-OMG?
Actually, you know what? Left 4 Dead is a great FPS built around team play, to the point where even if you don't have friends you still need team mates. It's typically much easier to join a group at random, and it's easier to find someone willing to help you figure out what's what.

I think we just need FPSs with a different focus than "You're awesome, save everything."

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

But how does that satisfy the RPG aspect of- OHHHHH... 4 people group. Ha. But yeah, it's nice to have games where you hafta rely on other people. Helps you socialize.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Actually, you know what? Left 4 Dead is a great FPS built around team play, to the point where even if you don't have friends you still need team mates. It's typically much easier to join a group at random, and it's easier to find someone willing to help you figure out what's what.

I think we just need FPSs with a different focus than "You're awesome, save everything."
Actually, in nearly all of my matches in Reach nearly everyone has worked as a team. Kind of frustrating when the opposite team have all chosen active camo and grab the sword and they all camp in a narrow corridor.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

In my experience, any game that seems to have a 'heavy weapon' object involved usually has some form of teamwork of keeping the weapon wielderalive to get the most damage. On the other hand, TF2 has a few veins of that. Engies group together into nests, medics and other classes, and so on. Sadly however the same mixes can also run solo so I don't think that's quite the right mix... your L4D mention is probably the closest thus far to that I've seen.

Lurker
Reputation score

TF2 is like L4D, because there is no solo mode. Every game is a team game. However, a team is not necessarily required for success, whereas in L4D you'll die without at least one team mate.

Games built as team games tend to be better socially, I think.