What's new

Video Games & The Personas Behind Them

E

Exofluke

I'm sort of intrigued by what might come of this thread, so hence the post.

I recently just started playing online-gaming with a console (xbox). Before that, it was just with a PC.

One thing I've started to take notice in, is the genders who play and comparing the way they act when in certain game(s) & platform(s).

I've only had a little amount of experience with gathering intel on the console, but so far, all the females I've co-oped with have been complete douche bags. Yet it's just about the opposite whenever I'm playing on a PC game, like Guild Wars for example. I find this to be rather odd.

Now I'm not hating on girls. Just keep that in mind. =P

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Last edited:

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Video Games & The Personas Behind Them

No, but I've experienced this phenomenon on the console:

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Damn you Inc! You stole my post from me. >.<

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I dunno, I tend to find equal amounts of douchebags no matter what platform I play on, and regardless of gender.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I'm sort of intrigued by what might come of this thread, so hence the post.

I recently just started playing online-gaming with a console (xbox). Before that, it was just with a PC.

One thing I've started to take notice in, is the genders who play and comparing the way they act when in certain game(s) & platform(s).

I've only had a little amount of experience with gathering intel on the console, but so far, all the females I've co-oped with have been complete douche bags. Yet it's just about the opposite whenever I'm playing on a PC game, like Guild Wars for example. I find this to be rather odd.

Now I'm not hating of girls. Just keep that in mind. =P

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?
I've had nothing but fucking grief when it comes to girls playing online with a mic. Especially on Halo Reach. What forced me to have Reach on constant mute was when I was playing a match at 3 in the morning, I was going around being pretty awesome at wiping the floor with everyone (which is impressive in itself because I was damn tired) when all of a sudden I heard this girl screaming "HE'S AFTER ME, OH GOD HE'S GOING TO KILL ME!" It was like that throughout the entire FUCKING match. And not just one girl, there was a few of them. Once the match was over I quit out of that group of people and started looking for more people to play.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure most girls are quite pleasant to game with, but it was those couple of fucktards that ruined the entire experience for me.

Then there's kids. Or more specifically the 8 year old Texan boy a friend and I ripped into before. He was so fucking annoying we couldn't help but troll him. I can't even remember how it happened, I think he accidentally team killed me or something but after that I spent the rest of the match hounding him down. Best part was when he said we're all cool now and I replied with "Oh, we're cool now then? Cool like this?" And then took a shotgun to his face. I believe at one point we even said he was a failed abortion.

Anyway, yeah. I really hate GRRL GAMERZ and obnoxious little shits. Though I guess I fall into the category of douchebag as well. Though that's only when people deserve it.

Cactuses

The user formerly known as MoT
Reputation score

I dunno, I tend to find equal amounts of douchebags no matter what platform I play on, and regardless of gender.
^This

Though why you see more girls doing so in consoles is usualy by the fact how so many girls borrow their boyfriends x-box's/PS3's "to make fun of the boys"

You must also take on notice the MMO factors. Generally people like to act nicer in RPG's than FPS's.

We could go deeper with this, but the overall thing is, there will always be douchebags in online games. Always.

Lurker
Reputation score

I will sometimes do a running commentary as I play, mostly because I'm more used to playing local co-op than online multiplayer. It's never "Oh god, he's right behind me, etc!", but I'll announce when I'm in trouble, or when I've found better weapons, or when I've grabbed a vehicle. I've received complaints before.

OP
E

Exofluke

I've had nothing but fucking grief when it comes to girls playing online with a mic. Especially on Halo Reach. What forced me to have Reach on constant mute was when I was playing a match at 3 in the morning, I was going around being pretty awesome at wiping the floor with everyone (which is impressive in itself because I was damn tired) when all of a sudden I heard this girl screaming "HE'S AFTER ME, OH GOD HE'S GOING TO KILL ME!" It was like that throughout the entire FUCKING match. And not just one girl, there was a few of them. Once the match was over I quit out of that group of people and started looking for more people to play.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure most girls are quite pleasant to game with, but it was those couple of fucktards that ruined the entire experience for me.
I've been playing Resident Evil 5 co-op like nuts. Every female I've played with has been a total ass in some way. Either they don't know shit about anything, even though we've started at half way through the game, or they're just obnoxious as shit - spamming the shout button, begging for ammo (when clearly they don't need it). Ughhhh...

I remember one game I joined, fucking big ass mistake to stick around. I joined up and it was the end of that chapter. We started at the last cutscene to the boss. So when we fought the boss, it was too late to see how she played. I had already blasted it with an RPG for the kill. So the stats came up and she had like C's and D's all around. She had died like 30+ times and all kinds of crap, and this was only amateur (easiest setting).

The next chapter starts (5-3) and we get all the way to the lickers. I end up dying once because of my lack of ammo from previously saving her sorry ass so many times. In addition, she wasn't doing shit to help out. Typically you should be firing some shots while the lickers climb of the wall, but no, not her. So of course she rage quits and end the session.

It sounds like a common thing, but I haven't experienced this with any of the guys I play with. I think the closest I've gotten was someone who was just collecting BSAA emblems and I was looking to play for end-game points. So there was a little in-game clash there... but eh... nothing else.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I've played many a game in Reach and seen my fair share of cockbags who grief and hold personal vendetta's, the majority of them probably male though they have almost never been tool's over mic it's always been the girls I've played against in matches. Sure, I'd get the odd one who'd be like "Like that, cockface?" after killing someone, but it's always been the girls who've been screaming shit down the mic.

Though I've had matches with people that, if it was possible, I'd fist bump them for being awesome. Take an Infection Safe Haven variant match I was in last weekend; nearly all of our team was killed by the zombies straight away and it was just this one dude and myself left. We stuck together and travelled from each of the safe havens gunning down all the zombies that chased after us. It was only when we got to the third or fourth safe haven, the plate in the center of Pinnacle, that we knew we were boned. We stayed in the center of it gunning down the zombies as they circled around the safe haven waiting for it to change to a new location, and when it did they charged us. We literally stood back to back as they swarmed us, shotgunning them down one by one until finally they killed us both. It was one of the best matches I've ever had.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I've played plenty of games where guys come in for the simple fact of griefing. I know these were your experiences Exo, but males are not innocent of being assholes.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I've played plenty of games where guys come in for the simple fact of griefing. I know these were your experiences Exo, but males are not innocent of being assholes.
Well opinions are going to be biased as they're based on your own experiences, and lord knows I'm not trying to stick up for him but he's simply saying it's what he's experienced the most. Though you can't really compare gender difference in online gaming without them using a mic because there's no way to tell, BUT both mine and Exofluke's experiences are probably with GRRL GAMERZ not actual legitimate girl gamers.

On to another, albeit similar topic, I can't fucking stand men white knighting girls in online games. Fucks sake, that shit pisses me off more than the whiny little cumbuckets themselves. "HURR DURR DON'T PICK ON HER SHE'S A GIRL!" NO FUCKING SHIT SHERLOCK. WHAT, YOU THINK FROM THE INCESSENT WHINING THE STUPID CUNT IS MAKING THAT I COULDN'T TELL THAT?! Christ, it's not like she's actually going to fuck these guys for helping her and the guys that do it are playing right into their hands. I've had several TF2 matches like that, ended up raging at the guys for being spineless pieces of shit and killing the girls whenever I got the chance. Luckily Reach hasn't been like that yet. Though I did have one match in TF2 before where some guy kept trying to white knight a girl and she was having none of it.

Cactuses

The user formerly known as MoT
Reputation score

Ah, whiteknights, they are pretty anoying.
I can't see any reason why some men need to act like they want to impress girls over internet in games when they probably won't have any damn chance with them to begin with.

From my own personal experience with generally griefers and other assholes/jerks/douches, etc have usualy been forever alone guys trying to be "epic troll xdxdxd" or 14 year olds trying to act tough.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

The douchebags don't really piss me off because they're expected, though it's the ones that do it because they can and not for a legitimate reason that really grind my gears. Everytime I've flown off the handles in a game it's because someone is doing something fucktardily mornic, like the white knighters or twats who just keep dicking about for no reason.

Yes, I'll admit I too like to fuck around sometimes, even hold grudges against people simply because their Spartan tag is 'Pro' (some douche had that last weekend in an Infection match, fucked his shit up even though he was on my team. Showed him how pro he really was) but I limit my douchebaggery in game to a minimum. Sure, I may exchange taunts with players but from my perspective we do it in jest.

Now local multiplayer fun is when I really kick in the douchebaggery because my friends and I are jerks and we like to try and throw each other off game.

Sponge

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I've heard of that term, but never really like that (in videogames anyway). I'm a grey knight I guess. I only speak up if the guys are being all crude and rude. "Oh I want to fuck you so bad." Or "Girls can't play games, go back in the kitchen." That's usually when I speak up saying something along the lines of "Hey asshole, your being not only sexist but childish and stupid. Quit acting like you're from the 'hood' and go pop a cap in your own head."

Unless the girl says something back, then I just sit back and laugh as the woman usually out talks the guy. (Is it just me, or are woman better with words when it comes to offending people on purpose?)

And don't forget Persona 4!

Last edited:

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I only really do that when it starts making the game unenjoyable for me. After all if all I can hear is some toolbag hurling abuse at some fucktard who can't/won't stick up for themselves it's going to get pretty old and grate on my nerves fast. And most of my bursts of rage are mainly extreme anger seasoned well with swears.

I wouldn't really say women are better at come backs and insults. Most men I find are more upfront and brutal with how they insult people online, women however are more eloquent when it comes to insulting people. At least that's what I've heard while playing online anyway.

OP
E

Exofluke

and lord knows I'm not trying to stick up for him
Sucker punch.

He's right though. I haven't played enough to gather real statistics and I do have my mic settings set to off (except to friends). So my only guess to them being girls is their silly name + female gendered avatar.

But as for what I have gathered, that's what it's been.

Last edited:

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Never really experienced it.

Back in my Tf2 days, I played with a number of girls and they were all both up to scratch and not annoying. Of course, these were Australian girls, so it's a different standard...

Also, this is on PC, rather than console, so you tend to get a better crowd simply because there's less casual faggotry.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

actualy in my experience pc gamers tend to be bigger douches than console gamers, although that sample is limited to my uni degree.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I've never actually console gamed online, something about subscription fees and crap. Also I prefer a mouse.

But I've not had that much trouble with PC gamers. It's about the norm for the internet, which seems a lot better than the stories I tend to hear. It's very rare I've encountered yelling children, for example.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

And all of this is why I limit my online gaming exposure to either people I know, or to games where there is little to no interaction between players beyond the game mechanics (not even any emotes). Call me naive, thin-skinned, a wimp, whatever, but I have trouble with anything but friendly taunting in games. This is the reason why I dropped League of Legends, there was one match, my side wasn't doing so well, I was kind of new, and someone on the team made some insult, and I just had to stop playing. I get so mad when I see these sort of things I actually get physically ill. Sure, I can see the strategic (Edit: not psychological) reason for taunting, it certainly worked in the douchebag's favor in that example, and again, call me naive, but I think there's no place in gaming for it.

My opinion is that gaming should be fun for all involved, not just yourself. When I'm playing with other people, I almost always try to make sure they're having fun too, or it's not fun for me. (A little caveat there, I have to admit that I do get angry at my friends from time to time when we're playing games together, but I really try to avoid this because, again, I get sick if I get mad and it just ruins the game for everyone.)

Last edited: