What's new

[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asestado

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: Virgin's Protection Magic Translation

This effort... this determination... deserves a cookie!, unfortunaly i don't have one, but hey, i still can give a big "thank you", i hope that's enough.

I suppose i should use some of that determination to see if I can end my own translation project...

Do you have a give away of that?.

ElectrikMadness

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

When the progress bar gets to 99% I get this in the error log "Finished Unpacking - Deleting original archive" and it goes back to 0%. Does this mean that its finished translating or should I wait till it reaches 99% again?

Last edited:

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I seem to be getting this error when I just finish talking to the teacher at the festival for the first time and she checks your hymen, and tells you about the cauldron in the back...

Never saw it before, so I'm not sure if it's to do with the game of the translation... Can anyone help pls.

asestado

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I seem to be getting this error when I just finish talking to the teacher at the festival for the first time and she checks your hymen, and tells you about the cauldron in the back...

Never saw it before, so I'm not sure if it's to do with the game of the translation... Can anyone help pls.
I don't know what program you are using so i will take a guess and think its a script editor, in case it is then i would think its a mistake on that line of the translation, usually is a little mistake like adding an extra space, or mistyping something.

If it's with rpg maker trans i would revise what you translated and what you modified.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That's odd - that shouldn't be possible with the checks I've got in place. Could you PM me the save that causes this? (It could be caused by the translation, just not sure why this wouldn't be flagged by my error checkers and I don't have a save which around this point to investigate it)

EDIT: I had a quick look and spotted the issue; this game uses some inline scripts (as in, within the dialogue strings) and I'd forgotten a closing brace. I'll update my checker to make sure that this doesn't happen again - in the meantime, please redownload the patch, and you should be able to get past this bit.
EDIT2: My hastily added bracket matching check revealed a couple of other errors, although none that would result in anything more serious than text the wrong color. Nevertheless, a second revised patch has been uploaded.

Last edited:

rizo

Reputation score

That's odd - that shouldn't be possible with the checks I've got in place. Could you PM me the save that causes this? (It could be caused by the translation, just not sure why this wouldn't be flagged by my error checkers and I don't have a save which around this point to investigate it)

EDIT: I had a quick look and spotted the issue; this game uses some inline scripts (as in, within the dialogue strings) and I'd forgotten a closing brace. I'll update my checker to make sure that this doesn't happen again - in the meantime, please redownload the patch, and you should be able to get past this bit.
EDIT2: My hastily added bracket matching check revealed a couple of other errors, although none that would result in anything more serious than text the wrong color. Nevertheless, a second revised patch has been uploaded.
That's great, glad it was easy to find. I appreciate the quick response. :)

*edit* it's working :)

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

A minor update: I was organising the patch and spotted that I'd missed one line in the Story. So a new version is up which has that one line translated.

I'm sure that if you've already played Act 3, then it isn't worth replaying it for that one line.

Nidjo

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

First off, thank you very much for the partial. I can't wait for the full translation, the game is very fun.

Second, I'd like to report a bug(?). During a battle, the game shuts down. I get no error message or Game.exe has stopped working or anything at all. The screen just shuts down and the process ends.

I've encountered it only three times so far, twice in the sex dungeon, curiously both times during the "boss" fight (the 3 goons), and once on the road from the fort to the second town, the part with the wisps/gargolyes. The only common factor is that I was in a battle.

Unfortunately I overwrote the save, maybe that could've helped track it down (or maybe it's something on my end). If I encounter it again, I'll try to reproduce it.

Thanks again and good luck with the translation.

redfog

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I also had that problem with the boss fight. It wasn't that big a deal, but here's my save file if you want to take a look at it.

Attachments

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That's odd - crashes normally produce a Ruby error, so for it to just close is highly unexpected. I'll try to investigate this at the weekend.

thesimgirl

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Thx for the translation
btw when the h-events trans will be finished?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It'll be finished when it's finished.

rizo

Reputation score

It'll be finished when it's finished.
Lol saw that coming when i saw the question.
I have a question: If and when the game is completely finished I'd love to donate to you for your hard work because I've killed a lot of time playing your translations.
Do you take donations?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Lol saw that coming when i saw the question.
I have a question: If and when the game is completely finished I'd love to donate to you for your hard work because I've killed a lot of time playing your translations.
Do you take donations?
My policy is that I do not solicit donations for translation work - I'd prefer if more people bought the games that I'm translating rather than donating to me for translating them. This being said, I do accept donations for the work I do on RPGMaker Trans (via the donate button on that website). So I'm in the position where I don't really want donations for the translation work, but I'll accept them for the translation tools.

So... A slightly complicated answer. Make of it what you will, I suppose.

rizo

Reputation score

My policy is that I do not solicit donations for translation work - I'd prefer if more people bought the games that I'm translating rather than donating to me for translating them. This being said, I do accept donations for the work I do on RPGMaker Trans (via the donate button on that website). So I'm in the position where I don't really want donations for the translation work, but I'll accept them for the translation tools.

So... A slightly complicated answer. Make of it what you will, I suppose.
Okay :) I appreciate the reply, RPGmaker trans is really helpful when it comes to patching games so I will probably donate for that when the game is 100%. :)

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So... it turns out I don't actually post much on the progress of this thing, so I figure that I'll make a progress post now.

A quick summary of what's done:
95% of Act 4 main story
All story H-Events
A handful of other H-events

What's not done but is necessary for next release:
Most of the Act 4 Maps
Editing

Editing may be a bit of a controversial one this time. Basically, I've come to the conclusion that the decision I made to translate this with Japanese honorifics and the like was wrong, because this is a game set with a Celtic mythos. So I'm going to be editing a lot of that stuff away, and replacing it with appropriate English.

There's a couple of things I'm not entirely certain on yet (e.g. what Brigit should call Gwendolyn instead of Sensei; Teacher doesn't sound right in English, and I'm not sure if Master is right either, even though this is what Felengel and Llywelyn use...), and there are some things I almost certainly won't change (Brigits nickname for Felengel of Kuro-chan; I just don't think I have it in me to rename Felengel "Blackie"), but I'm definitely going to be doing a lot of editing for this change - and I do think it's necessary, really.

torkenstiem

Tentacle God
Reputation score

There's a couple of things I'm not entirely certain on yet (e.g. what Brigit should call Gwendolyn instead of Sensei; Teacher doesn't sound right in English, and I'm not sure if Master is right either, even though this is what Felengel and Llywelyn use...), and there are some things I almost certainly won't change (Brigits nickname for Felengel of Kuro-chan; I just don't think I have it in me to rename Felengel "Blackie"), but I'm definitely going to be doing a lot of editing for this change - and I do think it's necessary, really.
how about Madam? its strong and respectful, if thats what youre looking for.

Dybbuk

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Thanks for the update Habisian.
I totally agree on not using Japanese honorifics, since for the ones like me that do not understand a word of Japanese the subtlety in the honorifics is lost, even though I have been playing Japanese games for years. From what I have read I know that it is a pain to express the same level of respect, familiarity, etc. in English, but once you start translating I think you should go for that route. In the end, the only ones that probably will notice the difference are the ones that do not need the game translated:D
Anyway, thumbs up for your hard work on this and on RPGMaker Trans.

bigtotoro

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

There's a couple of things I'm not entirely certain on yet (e.g. what Brigit should call Gwendolyn instead of Sensei; Teacher doesn't sound right in English, and I'm not sure if Master is right either, even though this is what Felengel and Llywelyn use...)
Master sounds fine to me. Maybe she could also use "ma'am".

I think it would fit her air-headedness to call her something like "boss-witch" or "auntie", but that's maybe just me :D

And yeah. Kuro-chan is even funnier if it's the only name with honorific remaining :D

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thanks for the update Habisian.
I totally agree on not using Japanese honorifics, since for the ones like me that do not understand a word of Japanese the subtlety in the honorifics is lost, even though I have been playing Japanese games for years. From what I have read I know that it is a pain to express the same level of respect, familiarity, etc. in English, but once you start translating I think you should go for that route.
I'm not sure I agree on that. Honorifics are only a handful of words, so they're not too much to learn, and I think that in a Japanese setting it makes sense to leave them be. However, VPM is a Celtic setting, and so I don't think the honorifics make any sense. As to whether or not I should change it, well, most of it should be done by find/replace, so I'm doubt it's too onerous a task...

As for the suggestions on what Brigit should call Gwendolyn...

• Madam: Not appropriate, as there's a Madam in the game already, and she's the head prostitute.
  • Ma'am: In England, Ma'am is the address used for the Queen. So, that's not quite right either. It's way, way too formal.
  • Boss Witch: Again, doesn't quite work. Gwendolyn actually is the "Boss Witch" (i.e. not just Brigit's teacher, but the leader of all Witch's in the Kingdom), but she doesn't really act it and none of the withces really address her as such. There's also a slight conflict which is that I'm already using "Great Witch Gwendolyn" as the formal address for Gwendolyn (i.e. addressing her with her actual job title).
  • Auntie: I can't see Brigit using this, because it indicates family in English.

Honestly, at this stage it's a toss up between Master (like Felengel/Llywelyn, and would be the correct translation of Sensei in this context) or just plain Gwendolyn (because I can't recall ever addressing a teacher/professor/whatever by their job title).

Status
Not open for further replies.