What's new

WTF, Anime????

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: WTF, Anime????

I like action anime, not comedic or romance, and I find Horror stuffs done cheesy if not done right. (Take Vampire Anime for instance,

Blood+ -Good stuff there
Helsing -A big fat Meh...)

Mechs sometimes if there not TOO caught up on all the political side of things...

Don't know how many times I actually had to watch the re-runs of GUNDAM before I got bored of them yakking of Zeon fed this and Zeon Feds that in order to actually pay attention...

I'm more a G-Gundam, and 8th MS team person, lots of smashy-go-boom-stuffs not as much politics...

So, I'd say the biggest WTF moment for me was the transition between Code Geass Season 1 to Season 2...

You go from Lelouch and Suzaku having eachother at gunpoint, to Lelouch back at school normally with a Brother?(Rolo) That had somehow been there the entire time...

But... For a good old compromise I'm gonna split down all fields... I'm gonna start watching Love Hina soon... Romance, Comedy, and Kung Fu... And all the Girlies you could shake your stick at...

Cappy

Reputation score

So, I'd say the biggest WTF moment for me was the transition between Code Geass Season 1 to Season 2...

You go from Lelouch and Suzaku having eachother at gunpoint, to Lelouch back at school normally with a Brother?(Rolo) That had somehow been there the entire time...

But... For a good old compromise I'm gonna split down all fields... I'm gonna start watching Love Hina soon... Romance, Comedy, and Kung Fu... And all the Girlies you could shake your stick at...
Code Geass doesn't really have any BIG wtf moments, it's fully explained why that happened throughout. Although there are logical fallacies, it's anime, what can ya' do?

As for Love Hina, the Manga is gigapillian times better than the Anime, read the Manga instead.

It's because he was BRAYNWASHED by his father, who has his own Geass and ability to manipulate memories. Rolo is a SECRET GUBMINT AGENT.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

SoulTaker. Mindfuckery. , though. (whole damn thing: )

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Oh yeah, how'd I forget to mention Dead Leaves.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

sayonara is probably my favourite anime, it is very weird though. I guess thats what i like about it.

higurashi isn't anywhere near as weird as its made out to be though. first season is excelent and second season is required reading to make the first seson make sense.
This. And although Hanyu is my favourite character, her sudden addition to the series was a serious wtf moment.

SZS isn't my favourite, but it's definitely top 5.

As somebody mentioned Puni Puni Poemi is very silly, I suggest anyone that enjoyed it watches Excel Saga, the anime it was based off. And yes FLCL is wtf but worth watching.

My addition to the wtf list would be the end of episode 2 of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (The Eternity I Desire is the literal translation, and an English dub was made called Rumbling Hearts.)

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Yes, Excel Saga was very good as well, it just doesn't seem to be quite the same amount of WTF...

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Reminds me that I still haven't seen Puni Puni Poemi, nor SayonaraZS. Watched Excel quite a while back. Something like the fith anime series I watched. Seemed utterly off the wall (is that a real phrase?) back then, and whilst I've been somewhat desensitised to animated madness by now, I guess it's one of the series responsible.

Did you see the "secret" final episode to Excel Saga? Just like all the other episodes in the series with declared theme or goals, the gist of ep26 was to deliberately go over the top and get blocked by the censor offices. They succeeded too. The episode was never aired on TV.

Edit: Just saw a clip of the English dub. God dammit I can't make out a word Excel says. Being forced to read quickly is far easier than actually having to listen to her hellish squawking. : /

Last edited:

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

For some reason, I forgot that this actually kinda is a wtf anime. Especially if you watch in the broadcast order.

It's also, y'know, the best anime ever made.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

The concept is nice, but it get's "meh"(seriously can't find a word that better explains what i feel more than think) once you're done with it, talking about the first season. It builds up all these questions, showing unlimited potentials for story and action, but in the end is just the usual story of a guy, that is not true to his feelings, and a tsundere girl with god-like powers...
Been there, seen that, so what, that's all?
Second season turns out to be the boring version of the first(expecially the stupid loop arc), damn i can't stand this kind of things if there isn't a really good story, so real action or a decent main character.

Cappy

Reputation score

Reminds me that I still haven't seen Puni Puni Poemi, nor SayonaraZS. Watched Excel quite a while back. Something like the fith anime series I watched. Seemed utterly off the wall (is that a real phrase?) back then, and whilst I've been somewhat desensitised to animated madness by now, I guess it's one of the series responsible.

Did you see the "secret" final episode to Excel Saga? Just like all the other episodes in the series with declared theme or goals, the gist of ep26 was to deliberately go over the top and get blocked by the censor offices. They succeeded too. The episode was never aired on TV.

Edit: Just saw a clip of the English dub. God dammit I can't make out a word Excel says. Being forced to read quickly is far easier than actually having to listen to her hellish squawking. : /
I remember I stopped watching it at some point, but i could never actually find the censored final episode either.

Aurani

Unknown Squid's Husband
Reputation score

Final episode of Excel Saga was godly.
And first post on my "new and finally replaced monitor". Weee~
I wonder if Umineko reaches Higurashi's kind of wtf though, it couldn't be too far away given some of the things that happen.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

SoulTaker. Mindfuckery. Kick-ass OP, though.
Eh, personally I like better.

As for WTF Anime, one that I believe was called Avenger makes the list. Not for being WTF in a good way, either. If you take all the screaming in DBZ, turn it into staring at each other, and condense it down into one season, Avenger is what you would get.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

Final episode of Excel Saga was godly.
And first post on my "new and finally replaced monitor". Weee~
I wonder if Umineko reaches Higurashi's kind of wtf though, it couldn't be too far away given some of the things that happen.
Umineko is not as confusing as higurashi, also got better characters imho, you get a lot more information on why things happen. Still has a lot of wtf moments tho.

Daemon McRae

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I believe Panty & Stocking qualifies. Most definitely. Also, in response to Potato-dono, I give you a brief demonstration/excerpt from the How To Guide of Being Epic:

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Yeah, Capoeira is one of those very pretty looking fighting styles that is primarily used for exercise. It doesn't really stand up as a proper fighting style in the real world. It's really closer to a form of dance than a fighting style.

Muay Thai is pretty much the opposite. That shit will fuck people up.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Funny how I knew that was going to be that scene. Mostly because it's about one of the only decent Capoeira vids available on youtube. I remember using it to better describe some of the moves one of my charries was pulling off in a fight (gotta love a shapeshifter who knows mixed martial arts styles.)

Interesting, if not slightly hokey, Capoeira movie: Only the Strong. Also the first place you hear the "Zoom Zoom" song that...Nissan? Audi? Was using in their car commercials. Catchy little ear worm.

Back on topic...Now, I haven't gotten through more than...two episodes of the series, but you want a WTF so far? Rin.

She and her lesbi-friends maid/partner/protegee(?) are immortal. She's being attacked by someone that wants her dead. She's a private investigator that gets all the weird cases. The one episode that sticks out clearly is she gets tortured by this sadist who gives her piercings and...things...everywhere (yes, everywhere) and it's just painful to watch her wake up in the morgue to have to take them all out (done off camera, but you see her dropping bloody bits of metal and get to hear her wincing) and it's also doubly painful trying to watch her stand on legs she doesn't realize are broken yet. Yeah, Rin can take a lot of hurt and the anime doesn't flinch away from showing her doing it.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

Yeah, Capoeira is one of those very pretty looking fighting styles that is primarily used for exercise. It doesn't really stand up as a proper fighting style in the real world. It's really closer to a form of dance than a fighting style.

Muay Thai is pretty much the opposite. That shit will fuck people up.
Often fighting styles were hidden behind dances or acrobatic performances because performing martial arts was against the law, ancient korea had a situation like this if i remember correctly, or because learning how to fight was forbidden to slaves or subjugated populations, capoeira is an example of this.

Anyway, when i think capoeira i think this:

Capoeira gives it's best in group efforts.;)

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Yeah, except Capoeira is from Brazil and doesn't stand up to actual hand to hand fighting styles. I've seen a proper Capoeira vs Boxing fight that really highlights this quite well.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

As I understood it, Capoeria developed to *look* like a dance because, as John points out, it was forbidden to practice them, particularly among the Brazillian slaves where it originated. If the masters thought they were "Just dancing" then they could get away with learning them and not be punished for it.

All unconfirmed, of course, but it makes sense in a way.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

The capoeira has african origins, it was developed in brazil to become what it is today, but was originally used by african slaves, brought to brazil by portugese slavers as manpower.
Anyway, i don't see how boxing can stand up to capoeira, seeing as the latter has many low attacs and boxing is almost only an upper body fighting style, besides, boxing is not even considered a martial art, since it's not used for war, was born as a sport.