What's new

Ur-Quan Masters

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Alright. For some reason it took me like four tries to install this thing, but it's on now. The thing is I have no idea how to play this, so you'll be seeing me going into this blind. Any tips and/or general how-to-plays? Also, The point of these threads is to make sure I get you guys to play with me, so I'm also gonna need to know how to get you guys to interact with this.

I'm not gonna waste time with sign up sheets anymore. Instead, I'm just gonna let anybody come in and say their peace. It makes it easier on all of us this way. This thread will be the only thread we'll need.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Ur-Quan Masters

RUNESCAPE
Hush, you. :mad:

Alright. For some reason it took me like four tries to install this thing, but it's on now. The thing is I have no idea how to play this, so you'll be seeing me going into this blind. Any tips and/or general how-to-plays? Also, The point of these threads is to make sure I get you guys to play with me, so I'm also gonna need to know how to get you guys to interact with this.

I'm not gonna waste time with sign up sheets anymore. Instead, I'm just gonna let anybody come in and say their peace. It makes it easier on all of us this way. This thread will be the only thread we'll need.
Hm. General hints:

-Speed is your friend. Try not to ram the planet in Tactical mode.

-The Earthling Cruiser is slow, but otherwise a good starter vessel. Its primary weapon is the Nuclear Missile - which homes in on the target from long range - while its secondary is the Point-Defense Laser - which, when fired, hits anything in range including bullets and missiles. Try to stay distant and pepper things with missiles - most ships are faster than the Cruiser, but not by enough to catch you quickly.

-The initial segment is pretty linear. Chat with the probe, head insystem to Earth, chat with the Starbase Commander. He advises going mining at Mercury; go ahead and fly there and scan the planet. Note the Temperature, Weather, and Tectonics readings - these tell you how inhospitable the planet is. Mercury is HOT (165 C) and slightly unstable (class 3 Tectonics). Stuff nearer Earth norms (20 C, class 2 Weather and Tectonics) is safe.

I'd put the first decision point there. Mine at Mercury, or try to find somewhere safer?

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Damn it Dematt. You could have said that before I played it. For now you get to see the first two videos (Two because I keep going over the damn 10 minute mark).

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Some more general hints (spoilered 'cuz they're big):
It's all keyboard-driven. Pressing UP accelerates your ship FORWARDS. Pressing LEFT and RIGHT turns your ship respectively. Note that you DO have inertia... you'll drift until you hit the thrusters again. The exception is while you're in hyperspace - it takes fuel to travel in there, so you'll glide to a stop if you're not continuously thrusting.

Selecting "Navigate" puts you back into maneuvering mode. When you chose "Starmap" and picked a destination, you told the autopilot to go to that spot in hyperspace. Don't do that just yet - the first part of the game takes place entirely in Sol.

That warped black/red screen you were wondering about? That's your ship crossing from normal space (the black) into hyperspace (the red).

You only start with ONE lander and ONE Earthling Cruiser in your little fleet - see the icons in the window on the right? The diagonal white thing is the Earthling Cruiser, and the little triangle under the C in "Vindicator" is your lone lander. The big gray thing in the middle is your flagship, and if you look closely, you can see what modules you have installed on it (currently very few). Fuel is also used for landing on planets - more massive planets take more fuel. A ship's health is measured by its remaining crew - lose the last one, and the ship or lander explodes.

Selecting "Manifest", IIRC, lets you see how much cargo you have, both in resources and in items, as well as allowing you to reassign crew. You start with one fully-crewed Earthling Cruiser (18), and one crew-pod's worth on your flagship (50, the number listed at the bottom of the status window).

During the lander sequence, you press the primary fire key (Space, I think; whatever you were using to select stuff with) to fire your lander's stunner, and the secondary fire key (Shift or Control, I really should dig out my copy) to have the lander take off again. The green dots in the status window are your lander's crew, the red bar is how much cargo it has, and the blue bar is how much biological data. Don't hesitate to pull the lander out if it's taking a beating - you can always land again with a fresh crew (at least, until you run out of crew). There's three hazards - wildfires which burn in a curvy line, earthquakes which show as expanding white circles, and lightning which shows as, well, lightning. The harsher the environment, the more of each you see.

I THINK, if you go to the Starbase, they'll give you a fresh lander. If not, you'll have to restart. In any case, your first objective is to find out what happened to Earth - and that means going to the Starbase orbiting it.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That's really fascinating.

RUNESCAPE.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

So I basically just lost our lander? Can I get a new one?

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

So I basically just lost our lander? Can I get a new one?
I THINK, if you go to the Starbase, they'll give you a fresh lander. If not, you'll have to restart. In any case, your first objective is to find out what happened to Earth - and that means going to the Starbase orbiting it.
Maybe. Later, you'll be able to BUILD extras - but this is the intro.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

-The Earthling Cruiser is slow, but otherwise a good starter vessel. Its primary weapon is the Nuclear Missile - which homes in on the target from long range - while its secondary is the Point-Defense Laser - which, when fired, hits anything in range including bullets and missiles. Try to stay distant and pepper things with missiles - most ships are faster than the Cruiser, but not by enough to catch you quickly.
Because Nukes trump EVERYTHING.

Time to head back and watch the videos and see what's going on.

Edit: I'm surprised I didn't wake my mother up from laughing so hard. Nice. And someone on one of my other forums has the Ur-Quan drone as his avatar. Nice to know where it came from.

As a choice, see if you can't get us a fresh lander, aye? If not, reboot.

Last edited:

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

might be a good idea to read the wiki on how to play.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Damn, I can't hear the Ur-Quan Kazer-Za's voice properly. Need to put the sound recorder thing closer to the speakers or something. Other than that, pretty fucking good, Dark.

EDIT: Warning, Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah Fleet approaching.

http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=2282

"YOU WILL SOON DIE."

(pic is huge)

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Damn, I can't hear the Ur-Quan Kazer-Za's voice properly. Need to put the sound recorder thing closer to the speakers or something. Other than that, pretty fucking good, Dark.

EDIT: Warning, Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah Fleet approaching.

http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=2282

"YOU WILL SOON DIE."

(pic is huge)
Personally, I like Dark's commentary and attempts to mimic the voices. Adds character.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Has anyone mentioned where to get this game? O,o

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

See half the fun of this thing is seeing me fail miserably until I rage so hard, I go to wiki and then whine about how you guys never told me what to do.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Ha ha... Two weeks, huh?

Sorry... But forget about that part for a second. I'm being told to destroy an entire moon base? Seriously? I already don't like what's left of the human race. What should I do and how do I do it, guys (assuming you still care enough to continue this)?

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Ahah! Doing pretty good!

But as Commander Hayes points out, it's odd that the Spathi and Ilwrath force hasn't come after you yet...

Part 1 (neutralizing the moon base)
You don't need to fight. If you kept your lander intact on Mercury (which you did, I can tell from the number of crew you've lost), then the Moon holds no threats. Though you get your first introduction to alien "lifeforms" - go ahead and stun 'em.
Part 2 (upon returning to the Starbase)
Now you do need to fight. But as certain dialog options point out, the Ilwrath raider is in serious need of repairs - it can't use its cloaking device, and it's missing half its crew. Select the Earth Cruiser in your fleet, stay AWAY from the enemy Avenger, and pepper it with nukes. You only wish all your fights could be this easy.
General Combat Hints
The default keys are:
  • Up Arrow: Thrust
  • Left/Right Arrow: Swivel left/right
  • Right Control: Fire Primary Weapon
  • Right Shift: Fire Secondary Weapon
  • Escape: Vessel Retreat (once installed)
You can configure the keys by choosing Setup at the start menu.

Retreating with your Flagship causes the entire fleet to retreat - but costs 5 Fuel.

Remember that your ships glide, just like in the solar system view; swivel your ship away from the enemy, hit the thrusters to get moving, let go the thrusters once at top speed, then swivel your ship back towards the enemy and drop missiles in your wake.

---------------------------
Oh, yeah, and you can change the ship and captain names by choosing Game -> Settings -> Flagship or Captain from the ingame menu. Just in case you didn't want to be known as captain Zelnick of the Vindicator forevermore.

And I vote for "New Alliance of Free Stars"... the classic name.

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Will have to watch those in a bit. Time's limited tonight, but they're always good for at least a chuckle. Hopefully I'll have time before voting ends.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

We can rename our captain and ship, huh...?

You know the drill people. Gimme a suggestion for that.