What's new

A save editor for RPG Maker

Xerodrive

Reputation score
Have you unpacked the Game.rgss3a file? where are the saves compared to the game .exe?
Hi there, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The save files are within the folder where the game.exe is also located (1 main folder, within that are the game.exe and different types of folders including the "Saves" folder). The editor does recognise my file, but only the "party" options. The items tab is blank and I cannot access the Switches and Variables advanced option whatsoever.

Edit: The game.exe and other files dont really have anything to do with the Save editor for the VX Ace type games right? I'm a bit confused to why it would be necessary to have other files located there. But then again that might be my inexperience.

lazy-

Lurker
Reputation score
Hi there, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The save files are within the folder where the game.exe is also located (1 main folder, within that are the game.exe and different types of folders including the "Saves" folder). The editor does recognise my file, but only the "party" options. The items tab is blank and I cannot access the Switches and Variables advanced option whatsoever.

Edit: The game.exe and other files dont really have anything to do with the Save editor for the VX Ace type games right? I'm a bit confused to why it would be necessary to have other files located there. But then again that might be my inexperience.
try to unpack Game.rgss3a with RPG Maker All Decrypter
maybe it couldn't load any data cuz it's still unpacked..

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
...I get an odd feeling lazy- has no clue what he's talking about.
Unless the dev of this game pulled something like OneOne1 does - that is put significant parts of the data in non-standard files, unpacking the game shouldn't be necessary (well, unless the author of the editor got lazy and didn't implement parsing of rgss archives).
Even then, standard data should still be accessible via standard means - as long as some fallback option is available for custom classes. Usually that at most results in not being able to tell much about the custom parts, but unless the dev decided to rewrite much of the game logic, it's not that big a problem. Though if they did, you need to get a good grasp on what exactly was done to do any of your changes.

Also (going a few posts back), why would anyone think Notepad++ is in any way useful for ruby RPGMaker games ? At minimum, you'd need a proper hex editor, but even that isn't all that helpful, given how ruby dumps integers.

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
...the fuck ?
Names of switches/variables are in System.rvdata2 (though every once in a blue moon a fuckhead dev happens that removes those upon release just to be a dick).
Switches/Variables are all over the place - wherever they were needed. That is wrt. game data - wrt. save data, they're stored as two hashes.
Unless the dev tinkered with it, gold (in the save file) is a property of the party.
Party inventory (once again, in saves) is usually stored as hashes, separately for weapons/armors/items.

Last edited:

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
...I literally can't believe that a save editor that doesn't implement the basic archive parsing is mature enough to be of any use.
That's about much the most simple thing to code here (well, wrt. parsing...deciding what to cache might be a bit more difficult). The other part is the difficult one - either you need to use ruby (semi-)directly and deal with exception handling for unknown classes (relatively straightforward) and structs (a bit more complicated - annoying part of that is that to deal with ruby exceptions, you pretty much need to parse error messages) or you need to reimplement significant part of ruby's marshaller.

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
I've used this on a good couple "undecrypted" games' saves (ergo with the .rgss present, and not "unpacked"), so basic archive parsing is definitely working. As it should be for such an editor, I guess... I don't see how unpacking may help with the problem, but hey, yolo!

Maybe the game is as heavily custom-tailored as was implied by JLH above - in which case, good luck!

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Hi there, I'm not sure wether or not you're still working on the save editors, but I've ran into an issue. I, for some reason, cannot edit the Switches and Variables (the option in advanced is greyed out), and my item tab is completely empty (this might be because of the game's setup but I wouldn't know). It's a VX Ace version (rvdata2) and a relatively new game that's still getting worked on. I've tried searching to manually find these switches using Notepad++ for example but I'm too clueless to handling it to be able to work it out. It's been a year so it's understandable that bugs like these occur.
That generally happens when the game uses a custom save format or custom item system. The beauty of RPG maker is that it allows people to replace most of the default systems with their own, but my editor relies on people being to lazy to do so: it can only work with the default systems.

Kinggaza123

Reputation score
That generally happens when the game uses a custom save format or custom item system. The beauty of RPG maker is that it allows people to replace most of the default systems with their own, but my editor relies on people being to lazy to do so: it can only work with the default systems.
so whats the work around because i have this issue too

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
@Kinggaza123: it heavily depends on the game, but usually the most simple path is "learn a bit of ruby".
You'd be surprised how little of it is usually needed to get some (relatively) decent results.

luispiece

Reputation score
Sem título.png
I have a problem, I used the program normally in a game, but I finished and never used the program again, now I want to change the switches and variables of another game, but I can't access them anymore, like this one in the print, the option is in off and I can't click, I don't know what happened, as I said before, after finishing the first game I never used it again, so nothing was changed

Vlandian

Reputation score
Does anyone have a solution to this error? I'm having a trouble editing saves from a certain point in the game Broken Reality:

System.NotSupportedException: Can not handle S type.
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadEntry()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadArray()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadObject()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadHash()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadFile()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.VxAceSavedGame.Read(Stream file)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.VxAceSavedGame.Create(IFile file)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.MainWindow..ctor(IFile file)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.App.OnStartup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e)

The point in which the error appears to pop up is the class choosing event at the beginning, and i assume it has something to do with variables/switches.
Although, before that point there are some variables and switches that are activated or changed, so I'm not sure exactly why it acts up after that.

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Does anyone have a solution to this error? I'm having a trouble editing saves from a certain point in the game Broken Reality:

System.NotSupportedException: Can not handle S type.
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadEntry()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadArray()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadObject()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadHash()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadFile()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.VxAceSavedGame.Read(Stream file)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.VxAceSavedGame.Create(IFile file)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.MainWindow..ctor(IFile file)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.App.OnStartup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e)

The point in which the error appears to pop up is the class choosing event at the beginning, and i assume it has something to do with variables/switches.
Although, before that point there are some variables and switches that are activated or changed, so I'm not sure exactly why it acts up after that.
The developer put a into the save file. There's nothing too strange but Japanese developers don't do that so I never built any support for them into the editor. There's no real workaround other than me fixing it.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Here I thought Ruby and RPGM divorced when the V came out...
Just in case, have you tried ?

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The developer put a into the save file. There's nothing too strange but Japanese developers don't do that so I never built any support for them into the editor. There's no real workaround other than me fixing it.
...it's not about Japanese, after all IIRC MGQ Paradox saved some structs too.
It's simply that people writing scripts for ruby makers prefer using classes over structs.
Combined with fact that most of the custom scripts rarely do anything that has effect outside the current event, custom structs rarely trickle down into saves.
This was simply one of those rare cases when they did.

CobraPL

Demon Girl
Reputation score
System.ArgumentException: Błąd podczas serializacji lub deserializacji przy użyciu klasy JSON JavaScriptSerializer. Długość ciągu przekracza wartość ustawioną w właściwości maxJsonLength.
Nazwa parametru: input
w System.Web.Script.Serialization.JavaScriptSerializer.Deserialize(JavaScriptSerializer serializer, String input, Type type, Int32 depthLimit)
w RpgMakerSaveEdit.Mv.JsonUtil.DeserializeMutable(String json)
w RpgMakerSaveEdit.Mv.MvSavedGame.ReadSaveFile(Stream file)
w RpgMakerSaveEdit.Mv.MvSavedGame.Create(IFile file)
w RpgMakerSaveEdit.MainWindow..ctor(IFile file)
w RpgMakerSaveEdit.App.OnStartup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e)

Some saves work some not, not sure why...

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Mind sharing one of those saves for testing ?
Though going by the exception, save (more exactly its json content) is bigger than the program expected size limit for json content.