What's new

All you gamers out there!

gameguru777

Lurker
Reputation score
Some of you may have heard of various video's on Youtube called "Lets Play"s. For those who do not know what they are, here is the skinny. Basicly a gamer will play a video game and give a running commentary about the game and what is currently happening. If done right it is very amusing and enjoyable to watch. However when done wrong... yeah... It becomes boring. Well, long story short, I want to start making these videos, but I have way too many different games I want to do. (Mischief Makers was my number one choice for a while, but then I remembered that I wasn't too good at that game.)

So I ask you fellow members of this forum, what game should I do a Lets Play on first. I do have a few rules though.

Must be on a console that I am able to use. No Wii, X360, DS, PSP, or PS3. But from systems like NES, SNES, Master System, DOS, N64, stuff like that I can do.

Must be able to have something to say. Games like Final Fantasy are out because nobody want's to watch someone play that for hours on end... trust me. It is preferred that they are fun (since I don't want to be bored) and plus that way I will have more to comment on.

I don't mind doing "Blind" runs. This is when I play a game that I have not ever played before and go through it without a walkthrough. Fun for Survival horrors, or just really frustrating games.

Alright. That's it. Any suggestions, and I'll post the videos here when I start making them. Thanks.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: All you gamers out there!

Haha, I just re-birthed my SNES. I'd say Zombies Ate My Neighbors but it's long and damn near impossible without cheats.
Super R-Type is up there.
Kirby Superstar? Though that's multiple games in one, so I don't know how that'd work. I just feel that game deserves a lot of due appreciation.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Go with a classic! Super Mario Bros. Or even Duck Hunt. Might be helpful, too, to know what you have available (unless you'll be doing this via emulator.) We could vote!

OP
gameguru777

gameguru777

Lurker
Reputation score

:eek: A response this quickly!!! Kick ass!

Anyways, I plan on using an emulator. And I'm still in search of a good video/audio capture, my test videos are always... out of sync. Like when I was testing Mischief Makers you could hear me collecting jewels a good second before it showed I grabbed them. Any suggestions give me a yell.

SNES seems to be the more popular system for it (and my preferred since I grew up with it) I like Kirby Superstar because I practically know that game inside and out. (Favorite game when I was a little tyke... ish... infact I even bought the remake for the DS, it kicks ass)

And R-Type... I... kinda wanna save my embarrassment and the hundreds of thousands of "Game Overs". Good idea though.

NES would also work, but it might be tough to find something to keep interest. I don't know many titles on the NES (well, I've heard of most of them, but have yet to play) so they would most likely be blind runs.

Edit: Here are a couple of examples. One is a well done LP, and the other one... er... yeah...

The Good (Actually the first LP I watched beginning to end):

The Bad (To be fair, this video isn't that bad, but later in this series it takes a while video to move 2 steps...):

Last edited:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

River City Ransom. Great NES game. Classic. My opinion: favorite brawler ever. Easy to pick up and very achievable in a single run-through

OP
gameguru777

gameguru777

Lurker
Reputation score

RCR, Played it, beat it, loved it, found GBA remake, bought it, played it, beat it, loved it, sold it. And I agree, one of the greatest brawlers of all time... didn't think about doing that one... till now.

Also, I plan on making a new Youtube account for these videos... meaning I need a title. Something awesome. I've been thinking over ideas for these videos (I want to cut away from the game at times unlike most LPs and have an aside with the viewers. Like my current thoughts, personal history with the game, or just something random. Just for entertainment.) So I was thinking, "The Masked Gamer!" or something like that... but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

THE FIGHTING MONGOOSES!

OP
gameguru777

gameguru777

Lurker
Reputation score

THE WILDCATS!!!

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

What you're talking about sounds similar to "The Master's Challenge"

OP
gameguru777

gameguru777

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, I guess something like that. Humorous Dialogue along with games. Fun to watch... I just hope it will be somewhat fun to make. Only problem is that I don't really have the ability record via television and currently my game collection is slim (stupid college and leaving most games back home)

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You could just use gameplay videos on the internets and comment on them.

OP
gameguru777

gameguru777

Lurker
Reputation score

Not nearly as fun, plus I want it to be more of a Let's Play than a commentary. More to talk about and such. And blind runs can be fun.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I have... *counts on fingers*
...Four, four words for you:

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Kick-ass game for the N64, and your dialogue for a dry run will be hilarious, whether you mean it to be or not :)

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Thought that was gamecube. The game is completely underrated, however, I feel there was a huge gap in enemy difficulty which made the game extremely slow and not fun at times. Other than that, nothing can compete with the sanity meter.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I kept my sanity at it's lowest at all times, as a rule.

And to hear the classic phrase,

"THIS"

"ISN'T"

"HAPPENIIINNGG!!!"

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

well crap, you're right, it is gamecube. thats out of the question then, isnt it? How about Rock & Roll racing, for the SNES? that announcer always made me laugh.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You could also do flash games, if the mood takes you.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Conker's Bad Fur Day, on the N64.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Pac Man. Lots to talk about there.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Rifftrax for video games!

I recommend:
Blast Corps, Body Harvest, or Space Station Silicon Valley for the N64.
Dinosaurs for Hire, Toki, or Vectorman for the Genesis.