Farren

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Almost Human

Investigate the Crate
-----

The ship wasn't about to fall apart, hopefully, and there should not be anything in this sector that could bleed. Heck, he didn't think they were carrying anything that could bleed. The pair of crates didn't seem to be out of place, but they were the same make and so far the only ones flashing any kind of warning after the spill.

He rushed to the side of the crate, tapping the entry code into the panel. It at least seemed to accept that fairly happily. It was a sizeable crate, so Darian stood back as the locks disengaged and the top loosened, sending a cool mist out into the cargo bay. Smuggling people wasn't unheard of, though stringent security checks made it nearly impossible. Smuggling creatures off of genworlds, aside from the odd stray spark beetle, was even more impossible. As such, Darian hadn't actually imagined he'd see the day when he'd open a crate to find a genhuman in a makeshift cyro unit.

It was hard to mistake her as anything else, her curled form mostly covered in dark feathers. A harpy of some sort probably. As much as he'd have liked to take the time to not more of her features though, it was quite clear that he had more pressing matters. There was a fair bit of blood and she was shivering. She didn't seem awake, but he didn't know how the shock of the crate's fall had messed with whatever the unit had been doing. If her wound was severe enough, she might well go into shock when she woke up, which would make matter worse very quickly.

He'd have to do something quickly. There was also the matter of the other crate, though he hadn't noticed anything wrong with it outwardly.

-----
Choices
-----

1) Darian's top priority:
A: Checking the severity of the wound. (Consumes time)
B: Treating the Wound here. (Mental Check – Lack of proper equipment)
C: Moving her to the medical bay. (Consumes time)
D: Checking the other crate. (Consumes time)

2)Darian can talk to Alice as he proceeds with the first choice, should he:
A: Ask about the ship.
B: Tell her about the situation.
C: Request advice from her.
D: Request help from other crew members.
E: Other, please list a choice.
F: Nothing, he's too busy.

Stats

Build: 60
Reaction: 50
Mental: 70
Social: 30

Stamina: 20/20
Vitality: 30/30

Traits:
Whisper Traits (More resistant to Blunt and Slashing damage, immune to certain environmental hazards.)
Tech Head (+10 Mental bonus when dealing with machines, +30 Social bonus when dealing with sentient machines.)

Inventory: Repair kit, Uniform, Sidearm, Cargo Manifest, Spark Bug in glove.

Last edited:

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

1) A.
2) A-B-C. Should be able to rattle off all three. "Odd smell in cargo bay, caught spark bug, injured genhuman in makeshift cryo system in damaged cargo container. Report ship status, please advise."

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

1C 2B, then D. This is already two anomalies, we should probably get crew to recheck this hold.

OP
Farren

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Taking 1) Option A then C into account as well as 2)A-D
-----

Darian decided that the first thing to do was to check the severity of the wound, h needed to get an idea of just how in over his head he was. As he worked on gently lifting her arm to get a good look at her curled form he had the sense to call out to Alice. He wasn't liking just how much was seemingly going wrong right now.

“Alice, can you give me an update on the ships?” He called, carefully shifting the genhuman's body so he could find the wound. There was a lot of blood, but it didn't seem to be bleeding heavily. Probably thanks to the residual effect from the cryo unit.

Situation unclear, lost some external sensor function, still trying to organise data. System damage currently minimal, will advise.

Nothing he could concern himself with at the moment then. “There was a spark beetle in the cargo hold. The shift broke a crate down here, there's a genhuman in it, injured, maybe another one too. Could you get me some help and power up the medical bay?” The injury on the harpy looked like it would need more serious treatment than he could provide here. He wasn't a doctor by any stretch of the imagination but the machines in the medical bay would at least be able to stabilise her for the time being. That seemed like his best option at this point.

Noted, will advise full sweep of cargo. Currently powering medical bay. Crew situation difficult, strict regulations regarding contact with genhumans, potential hazards. Advising movement by self until full sweep for nanites complete. Also potential... unimportant, apologies. I will deploy a mobile unit to assist with medical work.

Ah right, they would be lucky if they didn't all get in some major trouble when they made it back to earth III for this discovery. That wasn't all important right now though. With as much care as he could manage, Darian pulled the harpy from the crate and made his way quickly towards the medical bay. Alice was kind enough to raise the lighting on his way back, so the progress was generally faster than his trip down. The girl in his arms was moving more as he rushed to the bay, the effects of her sleep clearly fading to be replaced with the pain of her wound. Thankfully she didn't seem to wake up as Darian made it to the medical bay

As Alice had promised, the small medical bay seemed to be up and running. The small white chamber had two beds surrounded by a number of machines to keep both the humans and whispers in working order. Darian placed the genhuman down on one of the beds and moved to activate the rig, hoping that she was similar enough to a human that it would be able to keep her settled long enough for him to figure out what to do next. The machine should be able to deal with her to a point, though he'd either have to handle some of it himself or wait for Alice's unit to arrive.

-----
Choices
----

1)Darian's new priority
A: Treat the harpy's wounds as best he can. (Mental Check)
B: Trying to figure out what is going on with the ship.
C: Checking out the other crate
D: Other, please state.

2)Alice's Mobile unit Appearance.
A:
B:
C:
D:

Stats

Traits:
Whisper Traits (More resistant to Blunt and Slashing damage, immune to certain environmental hazards.)
Tech Head (+10 Mental bonus when dealing with machines, +30 Social bonus when dealing with sentient machines.)

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Medbay is kinda far from cargo, right? And checking the crate would require going all the way back there, right?

Nah. 1B (from medbay/monitoring the gen) 2C.

OP
Farren

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Returning to the cargo bay would take some time yes, about ten minutes at a brisk walk, though he could always run there since he's not carrying anyone now.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

1) B - need to make sure the ship's not gonna get battered apart by a meteor swarm or a pirate raid or whatever.
2) C - although with a bit more flesh-tone in the flesh, so it's not quite so dead-looking.

OP
Farren

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Try to figure out what is going on with the ship.
------

A lot had happened in a short space of time, and he still wasn't very clear on the situation. He figured for now the best thing to do would be to wait at least long enough to get some more information from Alice. Once he had a better handle on the situation he could hopefully find a way to deal with all this. It really was going to be one of those trips it seemed.

The sound of the door to the medical bay opening drew his attention and he gave a quick nod to Alice's mobile unit as it entered. While he was testament to the technology being in place to create a lifelike human android shell, it was conventional for only Whispers to have such bodies. Despite the fact that he was more or less a machine now himself, there was still a distinction made between human consciousnesses and those that were fully artificial. Alice's body was humanoid, resembling a slim girl with long twin tails. Facially, she was pretty, with a vague hint of colour to her otherwise dull form. Her body, made no effort to hide her nature though, with obvious joints and a simple, sterile white colour. It was a little strange to him that they would put so much detail into her face and expressions but leave her body otherwise untouched. Well, given how the more unlucky Whispers were treated it might not have been such a bad idea at all. If ship AI had bodies with the had the same... realism that whispers were afforded, there might be some issues.

Alice first moved to the side of the harpy, checking over the wound before moving to bandage the injury. The medical machine had cleaned it out and had sedated her for the time being, which should make her waking a little less traumatic on her body. When the bandaging was done to her satisfaction, she turned to Darian, narrowing her eyes a little.

“It was a good thing to move her. Waking too quickly might have caused problems. It looks like she will be fine, though she will need rest while her wound heals. Already working on retrieval of second crate, using less power consuming machine. Already having to extend charging period to compensate.” She rattled off quickly, though in a far softer voice than the one that would echo through the ship's com system. She crossed her arms and closed her eyes, standing silently for the oment.

“So about the shi-”

“The Estelle is working at near optimal levels. Beetle of no concern, no nest found. External sensors still half operational. No other ships detected. Possibility failure was due to faulty parts internally. Checking all systems now. Using more power.” Alice cut Darian off as he tried to get his question in. She always was a little blunt when she had things to work on. It was understandable as the ship as a while was essentially her body.

“Okay, sorry. What do you need me to do?” Darian asked, trying to lighten the mood by smiling before he realised that would mostly be lost on the AI.

“Recommendation, stay with genhuman she will wake. Human body less likely to cause distress than machine.” Alice paused for a moment, casting a glance down Darian's form. “This body will collect the other crate contents and deliver here if a genhuman also. Agreement?”

-----
Choices:
-----

1)Darian should:
A: Do as Alice Suggests.
B: Suggest he goes to the cargo bay in her place. (Social Check)
C: Suggests he takes a look at her sensors. (Social Check)

2)Darian is free to ask Alice anything else he may wish to...
A: About the Crew.
B: About the Cargo.
C: About how she is holding up.
D: Other, please state.
E: Nothing.

Stats

Traits:

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

1A, 2D. Tell jokes in binary.

Actually, ask about the knocked out sensors. Are they on the same side of the ship, or are they just randomly malfunctioning, what. Which ones are busted? Radar, optical, weird other-sensors? Also in binary.

OP
Farren

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Darian suggests he takes a look at her sensors. (Social Check)
Social Stat: 60 (30 + 30 Trait bonus) Roll: 90
Failed by 30
Ask about how she is holding up, and about which sensors are currently down.
-----

“I think it would be better for me to try to fix the sensors, if there is a problem it might get worse.” Darian spoke up, not entirely sure he was keen on leaving an issue unresolved. It wasn't like they had anywhere to stop on this trip.

“Negative. You are to remain here. Preservation of life is more important. genhuman is more likely to request help from you.” Alice states in reply, crossing her arms again to make sure it was clear that she wasn't arguing the point any further. After closing her eyes for a moment she continues, “Similar crate holds similar cargo, unharmed, likely to wake before I return. I do not want to have an unknown travelling around the ship without supervision.”

“Another one?” Darian sighted, having expected as much. He was well aware that Alice was going to expect him to care for them until she figured out if they were safe or not. That might not be too much of a hardship, but he doubted the pair were here of their own will. Most genhumans disliked humans as much as the humans disliked them.

“Anything else?” Alice asked as she moved towards the door, clearly wanting to get on with her own work.

“01010011011011110000-”

“I'm leaving.”

“Okay, sorry, I just wanted to lighten the mood. Are you holding up okay? Anything you can tell me about the sensors as well?” Darian asks, chuckling a little at her reaction to his attempted humour. She was normally a little better about that sort of thing but he supposed this wasn't the time for messing around.

“I am fine. Nothing is interfering with my operation. I will work on restoring the sensors after retrieving the other genhuman. Please do not concern yourself with me. Malfunctioning systems follow no pattern, loss of close range sensors most unfortunate, though visual feeds still work so no real issue. Jump sensors still operational, no damage to solar sail. If the situation worsens I will take appropriate measures. I will return soon.” Alice answers, giving a smile before she moves off. It was hard to tell if she ever meant those or if she was programmed to smile to reassure people. Either way she was in charge, so he'd have to go along with her orders for now.

Darian sighed and pushed his lasses back up into lace as he turned to look over the genhuman that had been left in his care. It looked like she had settled back into a sleep, so he had a few moments to himself. He pulled up a stool, sitting down beside the bed and resting his head in a hand.

Now that he was able to sit down, he cast his eyes over the girl. She was clearly a late generation colonist since the changes to her body were fairly extensive. While her upper body resembled a human fairly still she was well covered with dark purple feathers apart from a stripe of skin up her middle and her shoulders. Her arms ended in more claw like hands and were covered with the larger feathers which made up her wings. The most striking difference came from her lower legs, which ended in fatherless, sizeable talons instead of normal feet. It looked like she had some long tail feathers as well, though it was hard to tell with her laying on her back as she was. From the neck up, she was otherwise indistinguishable from a human, much like Alice, with a short but full head of red hair framing her pale skin. Darian wondered how easy it was for her to fly, since that's what it seemed like her body had adapted to do. Genworlds must have been interesting places when all the inhabitants could be so varied.

As he sat and waited Darian fiddled with his ponytail, he wondered if the other genhuman was the same as this one or if it was something completely different. He wondered what they would do with them when the rest of the crew were awakened, or when they made it back to Earth III. It wasn't really his problem though, he didn't get much of a say at the end of the day being a whipser. Hopefully they could get them both back home though, that'd be nice.

A pained groan brought Darian back to the task at hand, the harpy was shifting again. He ran through a couple lines in his head, trying to figure out what he was supposed to say to her as she stirred. He remained seated and leaned back, trying to seem non-threatening as he rested his hands in his lap.

“Hey there, just try to relax, you're safe here,” Darian told her quietly, putting on a smile as she turned to look at him. She looked confused and possibly a little scared, though he supposed he would be too in her position.

“Where am I?” She questioned as her hand trailed her wound and the bandaging Alice had applied.

“Safe and sound, you got hurt in a cargo accident so I brought you to the medical bay. It looked a lot worse than it was but you should get some rest.”

“Cargo accident... so I'm not on earth yet? The girl's voice sounded hopeful at that, confirming Dairan's fears that she hadn't been a willing participant in all this.

“No, we're still a few weeks from Earth III and a few days until we reach the next manned station. I'm not sure what we're going to do about all this but I'll do what I can to help you.” Darian's words seemed to fall flat though as the harpy huffed at his response.

“Humans don't help us. How do I know you're not the one that wanted me kidnapped?” She turned her gaze back to him, violet eyes narrowing as she waited for his response to that.

It was clear that she didn't hold much trust for him right now, which wasn't unexpected. At least she seemed okay. He had some time before Alice was to return so he decided he should try to at least talk to her some more.

-----
Choices
-----

1)Darian Should:
A: Focus on improving her mood. (combine any number of sub choices)
i) Offer her food and drink.
ii) Sympathise with her position.
iii) Other please state.
B: Focus on finding out what she knows about her situation. (Social Check)
C: Focus on keeping her occupied until Alice arrives.

Stats

Traits:

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Tell her we're a robit, then try to find out who she is and whatever she knows about who and why she was kidnapped.

OP
Farren

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Focus on improving her mood.
Focus on finding out what she knows about her situation. (Social Check)

Social Stat: 40 (30 + 10 Affection bonus) Roll: 24
Passed by 16
------

“I don't think it's fair to generalise, I'm sure plenty of humans would be happy to help you. I don't imagine you've seen many of them huh?” Darian asked with a smile, he figured directly asking her about how she ended up here wouldn't go very well right now, so he decided the roundabout approach. The harpy seemed to consider his words for a while before speaking up again.

“You're not human?” She finally asked narrowing her eyes as she studied Darian. He certainly looked human, compared to the people she was used to being around anyway.

“Was human, I'm a whisper now. I don't know if you know what th-”

“I know what a whisper is, we're not all backward morons you know.” She frowned at the perceived insult.

“Then I guess you would know that we don't normally get treated well?”

“So, what?”

“So I could understand why you might think that humans are horrible. I'm lucky to be in a position where I can work and still feel safe, though that's mostly thanks to the captain of this ship. There are plenty of us that end up being forced into far more unsavoury things to survive. No one on this ship had any idea we were carrying you otherwise we never would have left the station. I can only help you if you'll let me.” Darian continued, hoping that she might get the idea that he didn't mean her any harm.

“If you're treated so bad why'd you even become a whisper?” The harpy asked after a short pause.

“I didn't make the choice. I don't think too many of us do. It's hard to argue one way or the other when you're only being barely kept alive by machines.” Darian explained calmly, managing a bit of a smile as the harpy turned away from him. The look on her face telling him that she hadn't been expecting that answer. He had always assumed whispers were the lucky ones, getting to live after their deaths, though the experience was certainly not all he imagined it would be.

“I don't really know what happened. There were some humans visiting the city, some corporate executives keeping an eye on their profits I expect. I think I was jumped on my way home one night, it's still a little blurry. I guess someone took a liking to me, it's not unheard of to have genhumans go missing for a while or permanently. No one can do anything about it though.” The girl explained, slowly turning back over to face Darian again. Her body shifting as she stretched out her arms.

“They're allowed to mingle with the populace?”

“If you can call it that. They're always in masks, followed by guards. They do what they want to whoever they want. We can't do anything about it on threat that they'll cut our planet off, or worse.”

“Figures. I'll do what I can to get you back to home miss b-”

“Elly.” The harpy cut in.

“Okay, Elly. I'll do what I can to get you home. I'm Darian by the way.” He smiled, hoping that he would actually be able to do something for her. The situation wasn't quite as easy as turning the ship around there and then though, even if he was the captain.

“You better.” Elly smirked as she shifted herself into a sitting position, wincing as she held her side. She frowned at the pain and poked her side gently, testing the wound.

“Darian Ryans,” Alice's voice broke in over the com system. “Second genhuman has proven to dislike taking orders. Current location unknown. Hard to track. Will update.”

-----
Choices:
-----

Darian should:
A: Help Alice track down the other genhuman.
B: Stay with Elly. (Conversation topics suggestible)

Stats

Traits:

-Ship AI

- Genhuman - Strain: Harpy?

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oh hey. I don't think I've seen that one from frfr before.

See if Elly knows anything about the second gen, then go and help Alice?

OP
Farren

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Help Alice track down the other genhuman.
-----

“Don't suppose you know anything about another genhuman being taken with you?” Darian turned to ask Elly as he made his way to the door.

“No, I don't remember anything from after I was jumped. It's all fuzzy.” The harpy replies as she leans back against the head of the bed, keeping herself in a sitting position. “I'm not about to run off or anything if you're worried about that.”

“I'd hope not. Hopefully I can go and get this straightened out.” Darian gives a nod before leaving the medical bay. He set off back towards the cargo bay, expecting to run into the errant genhuman on the way. The ship wasn't really huge, so it'd be hard to miss anyone coming back up. He just hoped that Alice wasn't having trouble tracking them because of more sensor issues.

As Darian was about to turn a corner, someone stepped out in front of him, making him back up quickly. It only took a moment to recognise the familiar frame of one of Alice's mobile units, though this one was coloured differently to the one he had seen her using earlier. She had lost the colour on her face and her blue markings and hair were instead black.

“Alice, you really should let me know when you activate more mobile units.” The whipser sighed as he caught his breath, at least mentally. Alice looked up at him with a rather curious look, her eyes seeming to sweep his form.

“Darian Ryans. Not where should be. Unexpected position. Curious, attempting to help find other genhuman?” Alice asks, tilting her head to one side and taking a step closer.

“Erm, yeah, I kinda thought you could do with hand since Elly isn't going anywhere.” He chuckles softly, looking down the corridor behind him. “Any idea where they are?”

“Negative. Unsure. Could be anywhere. Unimportant. More curious, Darian Ryans. Your thoughts about me.” Alice quickly rattles off before she moves forward, pressing her body close to Darians, her hands moving to grip the coat of his uniform. “Curious about thoughts, feelings.”

“Huh... I... errr... what?” Darian shifted back a little in shock from the sudden display. This wasn't really like her, especially not with more pressing concerns running loose aboard the ship. “Alice, what do you mean?”

“Curious about you. How you perceive me, how you perceive us.” She keeps a firm grip on his uniform as her body presses closer to his, one of her hands sliding up to the buttons of his coat.

-----
Choices
-----

Darian Should:
A: Let her continue
B: Tell her this isn't the time
C: Escape
D: Other?

Stats

Traits:

-Ship AI

- Genhuman - Strain: Harpy?