What's new

Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 2017-03-22]

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 01-04-2016]

Brutes ... despite their aggressive behaviour I reckon the time between attacks was long enough to time offense and defense in a viable, non-frantic manner.

The Champions on the other hand, while relatively weak and trivial alone or with little support of other enemies, they tend to be relentless in their attack pattern leaving no room for counterattacks...
The delay between normal and spin attacks for the Brute is longer so you can hit them between those gaps. Champions recover much faster and is scaled to maximum aggression, which I should probably scale down a bit so they let up occasionally.

Also I'd recommend sending the Brutes to the depths by luring them to the edges for the time being. Seems like their cooldown between spin attacks is bugged and prematurely cooling down. I only noticed it just recently :p

... ran into a few bugs:

-Using the refresh/cooldown skill while in fullscreen mode causes the game to go into windowed mode, display a message about your skills being refreshed and then go back to fullscreen...
Not intentional. I have it there for debugging. Will have it removed.

-If you get revived with that Last Chance-esque skill (survive a fatal hit), your stamina bar stays at 0 and doesn't rise until you attack or use a skill...
This too is unintentional. I will see to it and have it recover both HP and stamina.

EDIT: So I had this long write-up on the skills, but after switching to a controller and experimenting a bit more it seems my analysis was a bit off sooooooo yeah, move along, nothing to see here....
No no I'd say the analysis was spot on. Some of the skills you pointed out definitely require some buffs. I have made the following changes in the past few days, but you'll only see them in the next release:-

Double-edge
Will be unblockable. Charged version has extended range. Now only -1 HP per use.

Parry
Stun duration increased. (Still uncertain) Stunned enemies take +1 DMG. I feel like this skill is too effective, especially against melee bosses & Champions.

Charge or Rush
Cooldown decreased. Pressing 'attack' mid-charge will cancel the charge. Use it to throw off enemy's aim. Does not do damage.
My replies in bold~

I think the other more pressing issue is the spawn number and speed. The later rounds could use longer and more spread out spawning, to keep just the right amount of challenge without overwhelming them. For this, I will look to increasing the spawn intervals.

Last edited:

JLZeta

Reputation score

Oh cool, glad I could help. Looking forward to checking out the balance changes in the next release~

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot; there's a bug with the Champions where they get locked in their hitstun sprite but can still run around and act normally otherwise. Seems to trigger when you interrupt their attacks, but I'm not sure if it only happens if they get hit out of their lunge-attack animation or their normal swings or both.

Last edited:
OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I've added 3 new boss-specific animations, one for each Bosses 1-to-3. I figured there should be some animation reward alongside the new skills unlocked for defeating bosses. The heroine will assume a dominant position in these animations. To trigger them, simply run into the newly defeated bosses in their near-death state (with the "Finish" notation)

There's also a sex passive skill (trigger on climax) where you can choose from 3 options. There are very mild effects to not change gameplay drastically:
1. Default - Gain 1 HP. No added effect.
2. Pure - Lose 1 HP. Gain +knockback, but reduced stamina gain rate.
3. Lust - Heal all HP. Reduced skill charging stamina use, but take increased stamina damage from hit.

On another note, AoA now has a new voice and 2 BGMs in sketch phase. I would really like to hear your feedback on the voice as well as the BGMs. We were trying to draw inspiration from the game "Golden Axe", but if you have references that you think may better suit the AoA universe, let me know!

Press 'M' to switch BGMs. Press 'N' to fade-in/out of music.

Sorry for the lack of updates but there really wasn't much that warrant an updated demo until now.

Password: dtny

Release Notes for v0.90:
  1. New "Sex" skill passive. Choose from 3 effects.
  2. New player-dominant sex animations (only Bosses 1-to-3 has it now).
  3. Will now notify unlocks (skill & anim) if they have not been unlocked.
  4. The "Double-edge" now unblockable.
  5. The "Seriate" passive now unblockable. Now only needs 2-3 successive hits.
  6. More:
    • Enemy Brute's whirlwind now knockback other enemies.
    • Enemies Brute and Champion aggression reduced slightly.
    • The "Whirlwind" now with increased knockback.
    • The "Go Next" sign now spawns faster.

Other notes:
  • Demo ends at ROUND [51]. The round will loop endlessly.
  • The "Adult content" in settings menu does not work.
  • Boss-dominant animations not done.
  • Gallery cannot be accessed yet.

OnyxShadow

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 31-08-2016]

Its been a long time since I played this, and the new stuff is awesome. This game just has so much done well. The only thing I don't like is the far too infrequent saves.

PS. Kula seems to be missing the missionary animation. She's just invisible for it.

PPS. After level 40+ you can't help but get overwhelmed. At which point the only option is sex for HP a few times a level.

Last edited:

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

For whatever reason, I only ever hear one of the two in-game musics.

I dunno, the NES-compliant restrictions on the soundtrack feels a little incongruous with the better-than-NES graphics. Maybe some FM synth, as though it were a Genesis game, might fit better? ... but I bet most people who are not me won't care.

As far as musical composition goes (instead of instrument choice), I think it works?

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Its been a long time since I played this, and the new stuff is awesome. This game just has so much done well. The only thing I don't like is the far too infrequent saves.

PS. Kula seems to be missing the missionary animation. She's just invisible for it.

PPS. After level 40+ you can't help but get overwhelmed. At which point the only option is sex for HP a few times a level.
Having more frequent saves might make it too easy though! At this point in time you can still edit your savegame.ini to jump a few rounds on startup.

Initially the idea was for bosses to use the same animations as the generic enemies. Now I've decided to make boss-specific animations for both 'defeating' and 'being defeated' by the bosses. Since I haven't created the animations, they're invisible for now lol

For whatever reason, I only ever hear one of the two in-game musics.

I dunno, the NES-compliant restrictions on the soundtrack feels a little incongruous with the better-than-NES graphics. Maybe some FM synth, as though it were a Genesis game, might fit better? ... but I bet most people who are not me won't care.

As far as musical composition goes (instead of instrument choice), I think it works?
There's actually a few reports on only one of the two BGMs are playing. I believe it's got to do with audio settings. with the changes. Let me know if it worked for you.

I'll forward your feedback to our composer. And if you have an idea of a composition that might suit AoA, do point me to some references! In the meantime I believe our composer is most comfortable with this style.

I believe /u/Yuan-Tiki suggested me some Toshiyuki Watanabe pieces. I've passed them along, hoping it'd inspire our BGMs a bit.

So far no opinions on the new voice for our heroine?

Last edited:

Yunguy1

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

So far, I'm having some bugs with the music toggling and when trying to back out of the menu.

Even when fading out the music in one round, the music plays again the next. When you try to turn off the music, it doesn't fade out until the second time you toggle it off.

And the issue with backing out of the menu is that when you have an ability on the third slot, it triggers.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

So far, I'm having some bugs with the music toggling and when trying to back out of the menu.

Even when fading out the music in one round, the music plays again the next. When you try to turn off the music, it doesn't fade out until the second time you toggle it off.

And the issue with backing out of the menu is that when you have an ability on the third slot, it triggers.
Which version are you currently on? I changed some of the BGM audio settings in the latest upload (v0.90a). I'm not sure if it addresses your issues but could you give it a try?

Regarding the fading-in/out, that's just options for testing, for the time being. It's not suppose to be there other than the 'change music' to mute button.

How do you find the BGMs so far? What about the new heroine voice?

I'll get to figuring a way to stop it from triggering the third slot on menu exit.

Yunguy1

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Which version are you currently on? I changed some of the BGM audio settings in the latest upload (v0.90a). I'm not sure if it addresses your issues but could you give it a try?

Regarding the fading-in/out, that's just options for testing, for the time being. It's not suppose to be there other than the 'change music' to mute button.

How do you find the BGMs so far? What about the new heroine voice?

I'll get to figuring a way to stop it from triggering the third slot on menu exit.
Just got the most recent download you put up in the your most recent post.

And the BGs are really well done. I like the vibe that it provides while playing the game. Matches really well with the setting of the game; especially the new heroine voice. I'm really loving it compared to the other previous voices you had earlier.

Yuan-Tiki

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Checked out the current build; v0.90a
Got to say, coming together nicely at this point. The difficulty curve feels a lot more natural, though it probably helped that it ended up using my existing save for level 31 or so (not sure how, but I lose track of all these things like what saves where and how).

The brute's in particular feel a lot more fun than they did. I love that they can clobber other enemies with their reckless spin and they don't do that so often that instant loss is a frequent risk.

That means I actually got as far as the champions this time. Suitably intimidating without being totally overwhelming or unfair. I like that they don't use sheilds so much, though I'm sure I saw one pick one up. I definitely had a jester pick up and use a shield this time, too. Don't know if that's new, but it was kinda cool.

Uh, what else? Sound, I guess.

Overall, it feels a lot more cohesive than in earlier builds. The hints of crowd noise, the voices, music. Feels like a proper package.

The new voice fits perfectly, seems to do what it has to do without standing out. I honestly can't remember what it must have been like before the voice, and I don't think I played it last that long ago. It's good, I approve.

The BGM? Kinda can go either way on that. As my choice of music to play over it last time might suggest, I kind of enjoy the more oppressive, ominous tones that I was getting playing Godzilla music and so on over the top. The music added is a lot bouncier and more normally videogame in comparison. One of the two tracks is obviously much more Golden Axe than the other, (or at least reminds me much more explicitly of GA. I can't say I entirely understand the music controls, but checking outside the game, it's track 02. I like that one a little better than track 01 I think.

If I'm honest, track 01 sounds a lot more generic and actiony. It fades out of perception easily enough whilst you're busy, but it doesn't blow me away.

Going by the theme of the two tracks and the whole golden axe thing, I'll happily suggest some old Amiga tracks to look up for further inspiration.

First up, two tracks from Hero Quest on the Amiga. Honestly two of the best retro pieces I know of.
There's the more upbeat, triumphant even .
And the somber, oppressive .

Worth sharing, a couple of metal versions I've always loved.

The other one I want to share is from a game I know little about and certainly never played, but I've never been able to get enough of this theme. The fact it has a badass name certainly helps.

Gotta be honest, I love those dirty synth sounds. The wobbly, vibrating jankyness of it all. The deep, droning bass heavy synth, the wibbly wobbly bits over the top. The oppressive, almost melancholy feel that Rings of Medusa and the In-Game Heroquest music has.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Jesters...

Can you make it so if we've killed all other enemies, they'll just disappear after 15-20 seconds of not being damaged? It's really annoying to chase them around if you don't need the money or health and just want to get on to the next stage.

robdelobe

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Jesters...

Can you make it so if we've killed all other enemies, they'll just disappear after 15-20 seconds of not being damaged? It's really annoying to chase them around if you don't need the money or health and just want to get on to the next stage.
By my experience, once they are far enough away from you, they begin their despawn animation.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I think the mechanics of the Jesters could be implemented in another enemy (That either fights you in between stealing stuff, or steals stuff inbetween fighting you) later down the line to replace them. The Jesters themselves were far too skittish to really put a dent in how much gold I was making.

The difficulty curve was weird. For me, the stretch of the 10 stages leading up to Glorbo (3rd boss?) was the hardest part. Once you unlock damage immunity it's a breeze.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

... had a jester pick up and use a shield this time, too. Don't know if that's new, but it was kinda cool.

... new voice fits perfectly, seems to do what it has to do without standing out. I honestly can't remember what it must have been like before the voice, and I don't think I played it last that long ago. It's good, I approve.

... One of the two tracks is obviously much more Golden Axe than the other, (or at least reminds me much more explicitly of GA. I can't say I entirely understand the music controls, but checking outside the game, it's track 02. I like that one a little better than track 01 I think.

If I'm honest, track 01 sounds a lot more generic and actiony. It fades out of perception easily enough whilst you're busy, but it doesn't blow me away.

Going by the theme of the two tracks and the whole golden axe thing, I'll happily suggest some old Amiga tracks to look up for further inspiration.

First up, two tracks from Hero Quest on the Amiga. Honestly two of the best retro pieces I know of.
There's the more upbeat, triumphant even .
And the somber, oppressive .

Worth sharing, a couple of metal versions I've always loved.

The other one I want to share is from a game I know little about and certainly never played, but I've never been able to get enough of this theme. The fact it has a badass name certainly helps.

You're right. The shield on the Jester is to indicate that he currently carried a shield drop, so killing him will get you a shield drop. He is designed to not use it to defend himself since he's already plenty hard to kill.

The track01 was the initial style. We then decided to try the GA-style to see which would suit better, thus track02.

Finally, thanks for the Amiga soundtrack references. They're really helpful in aiding us expand our library of references. I will forward them to our composer with haste. The Hero Quest theme sounds quite similar in theme.

I actually passed the links of Godzilla themes by Toshiyuki Watanabe to the
composer. Seems like he enjoyed the score and maybe he'll try some of them compositions if his style allows.

Jesters...

I think the mechanics of the Jesters could be implemented in another enemy (That either fights you in between stealing stuff, or steals stuff inbetween fighting you) later down the line to replace them. The Jesters themselves were far too skittish to really put a dent in how much gold I was making.

The difficulty curve was weird. For me, the stretch of the 10 stages leading up to Glorbo (3rd boss?) was the hardest part. Once you unlock damage immunity it's a breeze.
The Jesters disappear a few seconds in when there's no more drops to collect (money, shield & hp). I suppose the incentive to kill the Jester isn't done well. A few ideas I have in mind:
1. Increase gold & hp drops.
2. Chance/guaranteed drops of buff/debuff Warbanners (AoE like slow or speed up status, or even outright damage). Can be activated by standing at its position a few secs, like capturing flags.
3. Reduce his HP/run speed.

Thanks for your feedback on the difficulty curve. I'm gonna need to make slight balancing adjustments there too.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The Jesters disappear a few seconds in when there's no more drops to collect (money, shield & hp). I suppose the incentive to kill the Jester isn't done well. A few ideas I have in mind:
1. Increase gold & hp drops.
2. Chance/guaranteed drops of buff/debuff Warbanners (AoE like slow or speed up status, or even outright damage). Can be activated by standing at its position a few secs, like capturing flags.
3. Reduce his HP/run speed.

Thanks for your feedback on the difficulty curve. I'm gonna need to make slight balancing adjustments there too.
Unfortunately, there's really nothing at this point that can be done to make me WANT to mess around with the jester since my save's got everything unlocked with tons o cash from playing previous versions. I guess at later levels a buff would be nice but it would have to carry over to the next round, it's just not smart to chase him around while you are surrounded by other enemies that WILL take advantage of your distraction.

Manuel de Mush

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Is there a way to start on a boss stage, out of curiosity? I really wanna see the animations again, but I don't wanna have to fight all the way there just to see it for like 5 minutes. I mean, I suppose I could record, but I was just wondering if there was a way in-game.

PaNiq

Demon Girl
Reputation score

You can modify a .txt file which I forgot the name of

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Is there a way to start on a boss stage, out of curiosity? I really wanna see the animations again, but I don't wanna have to fight all the way there just to see it for like 5 minutes. I mean, I suppose I could record, but I was just wondering if there was a way in-game.
You can modify a .txt file which I forgot the name of
Yup, as /u/PaNiq pointed out, you have to edit the file named savegame.ini, which can be found at:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\AoA_Alpha3

----
Apologies for the late replies, so here's a little preview of the animations I'm working on:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So the purple gown chicks AREN'T futanari, just using strap-ons?

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

So the purple gown chicks AREN'T futanari, just using strap-ons?
I feel like I disappointed many people with that. Should we have a vote on whether the purple robed chicks be: 1. Futanari; 2. Strap-ons?