What's new

Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 2017-03-22]

Stranger

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 31-08-2016]

I feel like I disappointed many people with that. Should we have a vote on whether the purple robed chicks be: 1. Futanari; 2. Strap-ons?
Have it as an option and everyone is happy? It is just a change to a couple of sprites... Or is there more to it?

Esgaldin

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

So the purple gown chicks AREN'T futanari, just using strap-ons?
I feel like I disappointed many people with that. Should we have a vote on whether the purple robed chicks be: 1. Futanari; 2. Strap-ons?
It's can be easily explained - she is an mage/alchemist and can grow "magical/alchemical dick" =P

chucknoris35

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Is there actually any gameplay value that the jesters add to the game? I find myself chasing them around for a good amount of time, and it feels pointless.

Why is there an option to immediately remove all your points in a skill without compensation? After working grinding for max health, one accidental key press removed every point I put into it without refunding any of the gold spent. Is that supposed to happen?

Merrill

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Have it as an option and everyone is happy? It is just a change to a couple of sprites... Or is there more to it?
I can't answer for datanony but here's Anon42 answering a similar question http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php?p=888530&postcount=1269

So unless the game already has a system for multiple versions of the same scene it's going to be a real issue.

I say just leave it as it is.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Not that I'm pushing for it, but it's actually much more easy to do in a stage based game like this.

Make a futanari game mode and replace the enemies with modified versions of the sprites that are already in place. IE: At stage x you'd fight purpgown enemies, but in futamode the enemy spawns would be replaced with purpgownfuta enemies.

There are other ways, but that's the easiest to explain and the most straight-forward to implement.

And yes, I'm voting futa. But no, I'm not horribly disappointed if they aren't.

Stranger

Lurker
Reputation score

I can't answer for datanony but here's Anon42 answering a similar question http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php?p=888530&postcount=1269

So unless the game already has a system for multiple versions of the same scene it's going to be a real issue.

The questions is not quite similar. Anon42 was talking about changing the MC. Here it is about changing an enemy to futa. Who already uses strapons. So the change would be to recolor the strapons where they exist and add them recolored where they don't. But that's just for that one enemy's sex animations. Whereas the change to the MC in crisis point required a change to every MC's sex animation and a good deal of basic animations, since the nipple size would be seen in all the undressed states.

But that is always ultimately up to the creator. What he decides goes.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Hi Mom!

I wouldn't say it's a fair comparison: The question I posed to Anon was on making an aspect of the main character's sprite optional which would require 2 versions of every H animation in the game. In this case, it's only for the one enemy and its 3(?) animations.

Merrill

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Hi Mom!

I wouldn't say it's a fair comparison: The question I posed to Anon was on making an aspect of the main character's sprite optional which would require 2 versions of every H animation in the game. In this case, it's only for the one enemy and its 3(?) animations.
The questions is not quite similar. Anon42 was talking about changing the MC. Here it is about changing an enemy to futa. Who already uses strapons. So the change would be to recolor the strapons where they exist and add them recolored where they don't. But that's just for that one enemy's sex animations. Whereas the change to the MC in crisis point required a change to every MC's sex animation and a good deal of basic animations, since the nipple size would be seen in all the undressed states.

But that is always ultimately up to the creator. What he decides goes.
Yes, but I linked that because Anon said he currently had no way of making multiple versions of the same scene. I wasn't talking about the amount of sprites.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Hey guys, 2017 is here. Happy New Year! I hope we'll have another good year together.

I took some time off development to gather my thoughts. Now I'm back, so here's the plans for 2017:-
  1. Arena of Audacia will be moving out of Alpha, now sticking only to number versioning for controlling updates.
  2. Release v0.95 to v0.99 depending on need. These will be as close as possible to v1.00 demo.
  3. Release v1.00 demo version. Demo version & full version features will be discussed next post.
  4. Release v1.00 full version. We decided we to make Arena of Audacia purchasable.
  5. Patches, bug fixes and support.
  6. Updates and additional content.

I think these are pretty big decisions for AoA. You might be wondering what's this with the demo and full version? The demo will have all that the full version has (Gallery, skills) except that it will be able to unlock half of the skills and animations. An unlock file will be required to access all content. I will post more details on this in the next update.

If you have questions and concerns, do let me know (important!). Making a game is fun but doing it alone isn't quite so fun! It helps to know if right decisions are being made.

Here's the current progress as we head towards v1.00:-
  1. (!60%) Voice set. VA still silent. Basic voices are done (playable but more is nicer?).
  2. ( 40%) BGM in progress: Boss, Gallery, and Credits.
  3. (100%) Boss-specific, player-dominant H-animations. (Reward for winning)
  4. ( 0%) Boss-specific, boss-dominant H-animations. (Reward for losing)
  5. (100%) Credits story.
  6. ( 10%) Credits illustration. Will be a series of stills synced to the Credits music.
  7. ( 50%) Gallery programming. Done and working, but (unlocks) still require looking in to.

The next release will be v0.95, set to come out later this month.

*Regarding the futanari cultist:
She can summon the demonic penis at whim since she dabbles in the cult. I will give her a penis (or no penis) in some scenes.

Captainstarfish

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Hey guys, 2017 is here. Happy New Year! I hope we'll have another good year together.
Good to see that you have a plan in place of sorts. 2016 seemed like a bad year for the H devs.

By the way, is there a possibility that you might pick up your Lab game later on down the track? That held a lot of promise.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Good to see that you have a plan in place of sorts. 2016 seemed like a bad year for the H devs.

By the way, is there a possibility that you might pick up your Lab game later on down the track? That held a lot of promise.
I think devs/projects come up and go down just like businesses. Immense discipline and effort is required throughout the development because for most early H Devs, everything is new and unknown. Slip ups happen, and can be quite often. Picking yourself (or the project) up constantly can get tiring when you have to balance work and increasing responsibilities/liabilities but I guess that's just life.

Yup the assets are there in my PC. I'll get back to Labcoax once Arena of Audacia is complete.

Tesseract

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

True that. Glad to see this is still coming along. Can't wait to try/buy the final release! Pretty promising design so far.

FargoonU

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Just played v90a and enjoyed it. Simple and Fun :D

SleepyHollow

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I can't open the game for some reason. In Task Manager the game immediately closes when I try to open the game.
Edit: Found the solution. Have to replace the old d3d9.dll with the new one (Anniversary Update).

Last edited:
OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Gallery

There's a few changes done to AoA. I understand that you may have some questions on the changes applied to this release in preparation for v1.00. I'd very much like to know your thoughts.

The BGMs have been re-arranged, along with a new Gallery BGM. Our composer is keen to hear your feedback on the re-arranged BGMs. The next
ones will be to complete a Boss theme.

Press 'M' to switch BGMs.

Password: dtny

What's new for v0.92:
  1. Dominant and submissive animations. Still W.I.P.
  2. The Gallery now unlockable at Round_20.
  3. For the purpose of demo & preparation for v1.00:
    • Max rounds limited to Round_31.
    • Some skills are locked.
    • Animations limited to Round_30.
  4. Battle BGMs re-arranged, along with new BGM for The Gallery.
  5. Game moved out of Alpha. Project folder renamed so previously saved games will be affected.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

What's new for v0.92:
  1. Animations limited to Round_30.
...? The purpose of this is what? I mean, anyone with the prev version already has access to them, perhaps not as conveniently. Right?

Do what you want, I'm just trying to understand the thought process here.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 2017-02-16]

I can't open the game for some reason. ...
Edit: Found the solution. Have to replace the old d3d9.dll with the new one (Anniversary Update).
Yeah the single executable export seems to be giving problems. I've since re-uploaded the folder format, included in it a d3dx9.dll.

...? The purpose of this is what? I mean, anyone with the prev version already has access to them, perhaps not as conveniently. Right?

Do what you want, I'm just trying to understand the thought process here.
The thought is that the game demo can't have all game contents (progress, skills and animations) accessible. I decided on Round_30 (out of Round_60 in a full version) as to reveal half of the game's content.

In any case the animations included in the version just before (v0.90a) was until Round_30 anyway. Only exception in v0.92a is you don't have the Brutes and Champions participating in animations because we haven't yet encounter them sub-Round-30.

Total unlockable animations planned in this manner:
Round / Anim, Dom, Sub
  • 0 / AnimMob0
  • 10 / AnimMob1, AnimBoss1d, AnimBoss1s
  • 20 / AnimMob2, AnimBoss2d, AnimBoss2s, Gallery
  • 30 / AnimMob3, AnimBoss3d, AnimBoss3s <-- Demo-ends
  • 40 / AnimBoss4d, AnimBoss4s
  • 50 / AnimBoss5d, AnimBoss5s
  • 60 / AnimBoss6d, AnimBoss6s, AnimGameOver <-- Full-ver

SleepyHollow

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It doesn't help. It looks like the game still use the d3d9.dll file from SysWOW64 folder instead of the one in the game folder.
Well I replaced the D3DX9.dll file from the game folder with an old d3d9 and it works now.

drossvamp

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Game looks great, can't wait for the full version 👌🏻