What's new

Books

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: Books

"Blind Faith" is an interesting book about a Christian dystopia where you're not allowed secrets.

Ili

Lurker
Reputation score

For fast readers, I recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It's fantasy and it's insanely long(there are currently 11 books in the series with around 800 pages/book +one prequel).
The fucker died before he finished the last book. I am currently on my way through them, near the end of the first. I'm enjoying it, though I'm not a big fan of epics.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

The fucker died before he finished the last book. I am currently on my way through them, near the end of the first. I'm enjoying it, though I'm not a big fan of epics.
Yeah but apparently he left enough notes to get the last one done.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

............Don't you be bashing the Shannara series Chibi........... :p
Yeah, I've been reading "Orcs" which is a book about, guess what....................Orcs! Lot's of violence and pillaging, even though the orcs are the good guys.
Another of my favorites: "the Damnation Game" by Clive Barker.

Lumarin

Lurker
Reputation score

Hmmm, books books books...I'd have to say..

Mercedes Lackey's Joust/Alta/Sanctuary/Aerie series

James Patterson's Maximum Ride series

Scott Westerfeld's Peeps and The Last Days

Artemis Fowl series.

Every series by Tamora Pierce. Particularly the Circle of Magic series.

Mistborn series and Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson(That dude who's writing the last Wheel of Time book) <----My favorites

L.E. Modesitt JR.'s Legacies and Spellsong series.

Lawrence Watt-Evans' Dragon Weather series

The Name of The Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss

Jennifer Roberson's Sword Dancer series(I can never find book 6 alone, it's always in that combination 5+6 thing, it's the only one I'm missing)

and my most favorite sci-fi series, the Web Shifters series by Julie E. Czerneda

I own each and every one of these series and I absolutely love them, and they have a special place on my shelves apart from the 'rest' of the books. Though I do fancy Brad Meltzer's books and some other thrillers every now and then, like The Ultimate Rush, King Con, and Nobody's Safe.

Also, the Out of the Ashes series. I'm missing a bunch of them though :(.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hmmm, books books books...I'd have to say..

Mistborn series and Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson(That dude who's writing the last Wheel of Time book) <----My favorites

The Name of The Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss
:D
I wish Sanderson wouldn't leave every god damn book with a cliffhanger though, the end of Mistborn made me half want to choke the man if I ever met him.

Lumarin

Lurker
Reputation score

:D
I wish Sanderson wouldn't leave every god damn book with a cliffhanger though, the end of Mistborn made me half want to choke the man if I ever met him.
The end of the last book? That was one of the best endings to a series that I've ever read. It left the world open to anything, and set everything to rights at the same time.

Also, if you read the forums, he's also considering two more trilogies in the very same world, one set with modern technology, somewhere 3000-8000 years in the future, and one set in the far FAR future.

He also has it set up that it's possible that we could see the main characters again, especially Marsh, who is possibly immortal through the same way that the Lord Ruler was.

Elantris was really just made to be the story is Raoden. Thus, we could quite likely be seeing more in the same world.

Also, on the forums, Dragonsteel, Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, and possibly the Arcatraz series, he's hinted at and even gone so far as to suggest that they're all in the same universe. Especially with his cameos of Hoid.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

............Don't you be bashing the Shannara series Chibi........... :p
Yeah, I've been reading "Orcs" which is a book about, guess what....................Orcs! Lot's of violence and pillaging, even though the orcs are the good guys.
Another of my favorites: "the Damnation Game" by Clive Barker.
No bashing from me. i enjoyed it, i just wish he hadn't gone over the top in sword.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I actually couldn't read Wheel of Time, Shannara, or the Dragonlance books. They just didn't draw me in, and I would get bored whenever I started them. Same with most of Stephen King's. Not that the books are bad I just can't read them.

For non-fantasy I like Nelson DeMille especially The General's Daughter and Up Country Both about Paul Brenner the CID agent. The Gold Coast is good but not really my type of book.

They're kind of long, but James Clavell is good, too.

Lumarin

Lurker
Reputation score

I actually couldn't read Wheel of Time, Shannara, or the Dragonlance books. They just didn't draw me in, and I would get bored whenever I started them. Same with most of Stephen King's. Not that the books are bad I just can't read them.
I'd have to agree with this, I've enjoyed the Shannara for a bit, but I gave up on them after the 6th one I read.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ronny, the Warlord Chronicles... I can't remember the author's name I'll get back to you, but its from the same guy who does the Sharpe novels (The British Commander during the Napoleonic wars... never read them though). And yes George R.R. Martin does the Westeros stuff. He had a few offshoots from the main series, the one really sticking out in my head being "The Hedge Knight" which they made a graphic novel of.

I'm also not a big fan of Stephen King. I enjoyed the Shining a lot, as well as his Richard Bachman stuff. But I couldn't finish Cujo, and I didn't like his newer one Cell. However, I intend to go back and read the Stand, and possibly his Dark Tower series. Heard that's good.

I've only ever read the first book in the Shannara series. It was okay, but seemed a little too close to Lord of the Rings for my tastes. However, there were plenty of intriguing and original ideas in it that I loved.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Don't worry about it, sometimes I forget how easy it is to look up stuff on the internet. It's Bernard Cornwell, and he has enough books to keep me busy for a couple years probably.

I like the Bachman books, and the short stories by Stephen King. The longer novels by him are the ones I can't read. The Dark Tower series is good though, I'm on either 6 or 7 now can't remember since I finished the last one a month ago, and don't have the next one yet.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

My friend also let me read a series called the , which is interesting, but kinda weird. The main character is the bastard son of a prince, who can talk to animals (has a wolf for a pet), is trained as both a mage and an assassin, and becomes a berserker, all in the first book.
I *just* found the second book in that series for my friend and she now loves me forever for being able to locate it for her.

The last serious fantasy book I read was by Terry Brooks, but I can't remember the name of the novel or the series. I don't read much after I stopped taking the bus, and most of it is comic books. I do love me some Discworld though, Prachett's not a bad writer.
If it was Brooks it was either part of the Shannara series or the (can't remember the name of the world) Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! grouping. I've read surprisingly little Prachett, actually.

I'd have to agree with this, I've enjoyed the Shannara for a bit, but I gave up on them after the 6th one I read.
As my friend put it, the format is "Lather, rinse, repeat." After seeing the *same* plot in all three books, he stopped reading them at Book 3.

I'm also not a big fan of Stephen King. I enjoyed the Shining a lot, as well as his Richard Bachman stuff. But I couldn't finish Cujo, and I didn't like his newer one Cell. However, I intend to go back and read the Stand, and possibly his Dark Tower series. Heard that's good.

I've only ever read the first book in the Shannara series. It was okay, but seemed a little too close to Lord of the Rings for my tastes. However, there were plenty of intriguing and original ideas in it that I loved.
I find it insanely amusing that Stephen King writes intros for Bachman's books. Also, see above comment on Shannara. I managed to stick it out through the first two series, but have fallen away from them a while ago. I've also heard of/read a good number of the authors on here. I'm more of a Forgotten Realms fan when it comes to the D&D fantasy than Dragonlance, but I have read a couple of them. Haven't gotten into Jordan (and likely won't, I'm afraid.) and read a couple Pratchett. I also have Incarnations of Immortality in my TBR pile (which is a bookshelf that's about 4' x 4')

As for what I read? Fantasy and Romance, sometimes both. If you're looking for something different in fantasy, try Gail Martin's Chronicles of the Necromancer. The main character is, yup, a necromancer, usually the villain in most fantasy stories. It's a bit cliche (ragtag group of misfits assemble to aid prince in quest to avenge family and regain throne) but the way it's told is new. One of those "when you realize you've read the first chapter *in the bookstore* you really should buy it" type of books.

The one author I'm positively rabid about is Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor. Yes, she's a romance author but there are times I skip the sex to find out what happens next (and it's not like when I skip in Laurell K. Hamilton's books because it's "Oh god, she's having sex *again*?! Can we get back to the story please?" this is more "Screw the sex, what happens next!?") I've even coined the term "action romance" for her Dark Hunter books because that's exactly what they are. Take ancient warriors (gleaned from Romans, Greeks, Celts, Vikings, Amazons, Pirates, you name it) that have sold their souls to the goddess Artemis in exchange for one night of vengance against the person who wronged them. Now set them up against a race of beings created to be perfect by Apollo, who later *cursed* them for killing his mistress, throw in an ancient Atlantian goddess of destruction (Ever wonder why Atlantis sunk?) who taught them how to suck souls to extend their lives and put all the DH's under the charge of the one being who, if he meets said goddess, will bring about the end of the world. And it's a ROMANCE series. Because all Dark Hunters have an "out clause." If they find the one person who is willing to brave returning their soul to them (which, if they fuck up, they become Shades forever), they have a chance to be free of Artemis' service and live happily ever after. Throw in the shape-changing Were-Hunters, the emotionless Dream-Hunters (and their counterparts, the emotion-junkie Skoti), a few demons here and there, and a slew of pantheons from around the world and you've got a fun, funny, sweet, and kickass series.

On the flip side is Kinley, who writes both the McAllister (Men in Kilts!) series and the Brotherhood of the Sword (Think a medieval version of a group that survived something akin to a Nazi prison camp) as well as the Lords of Avalon. This ain't your mama's Camelot. Morgan le Fey controls Camelot and the Knights have retreated to Avalon to protect Arthur and the treasures of the Round Table from her, as well as the Merlins that have been sworn to protect them. Add in a dash of time travel (they exist outside of time, so they can be when they want), a good bit of magic, a healthy dose of sarcasm, and a little bit of romance along the way and you've got the LoA. And by the by, the first book is about Kerrigan, who pulled the sword from the stone. No, not *that* sword, the other one. Caliburn. And did I mention he's working for Morgan? And that he's captured a Merlin? And that he's a soulless badass that even Morgan's afraid of now and again? *grins*

*laughs* Told you I was rabid about them *laughs*

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

"Druids" By Morgan Lywellyn. Truly epic historical fiction, if you're into that kind of stuff.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The one author I'm positively rabid about is Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor. Yes, she's a romance author but there are times I skip the sex to find out what happens next (and it's not like when I skip in Laurell K. Hamilton's books because it's "Oh god, she's having sex *again*?! Can we get back to the story please?" this is more "Screw the sex, what happens next!?") I've even coined the term "action romance" for her Dark Hunter books because that's exactly what they are. Take ancient warriors (gleaned from Romans, Greeks, Celts, Vikings, Amazons, Pirates, you name it) that have sold their souls to the goddess Artemis in exchange for one night of vengance against the person who wronged them. Now set them up against a race of beings created to be perfect by Apollo, who later *cursed* them for killing his mistress, throw in an ancient Atlantian goddess of destruction (Ever wonder why Atlantis sunk?) who taught them how to suck souls to extend their lives and put all the DH's under the charge of the one being who, if he meets said goddess, will bring about the end of the world. And it's a ROMANCE series. Because all Dark Hunters have an "out clause." If they find the one person who is willing to brave returning their soul to them (which, if they fuck up, they become Shades forever), they have a chance to be free of Artemis' service and live happily ever after. Throw in the shape-changing Were-Hunters, the emotionless Dream-Hunters (and their counterparts, the emotion-junkie Skoti), a few demons here and there, and a slew of pantheons from around the world and you've got a fun, funny, sweet, and kickass series.
That series sounds awesome. I'll have to go find it now. And you might be intrested in the Warlord Chronicles as well Copper. Morgan is an intresting character, being Arthur's sister and all, but the one that really has me intrigued is a priestess named Nimue.

Lumarin

Lurker
Reputation score

Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold!

As my friend put it, the format is "Lather, rinse, repeat." After seeing the *same* plot in all three books, he stopped reading them at Book 3.
Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! was a great book, as well as the series that followed it. Our hero is that guy who just wanted out of his life and go do something different, and he sees one of those back of the comic ads and decides to check it out, be king and what not. At first, he brushes his responsibility off as king(Come on, he bought the freakin kingdom, not like he's ever lived there or anything!), but quickly he realizes that although these people believe that he's a coward like all the others who came before him, they depend on him.

Repeat, rinse, lather, for those shannara books, at least for other authors, you find books that follow the development of characters and show you the world via imagery. In the shannara books, you get characters who find some magic object(s), become uber powerful, save the kingdom/world/future or past kingdom, and then never hear from them again. When I finished those books, I was left with a haze of where they were and what they were doing.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I agree that "The Stand" is an awesome book, but it brings up the one thing I don't like about King - sometimes he just doesn't end his books properly. Instead of ending with the big bang he has to tell another story that you really don't care about all that much and has nothing to do with the main plot anymore.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! was a great book, as well as the series that followed it. Our hero is that guy who just wanted out of his life and go do something different, and he sees one of those back of the comic ads and decides to check it out, be king and what not. At first, he brushes his responsibility off as king(Come on, he bought the freakin kingdom, not like he's ever lived there or anything!), but quickly he realizes that although these people believe that he's a coward like all the others who came before him, they depend on him.

Repeat, rinse, lather, for those shannara books, at least for other authors, you find books that follow the development of characters and show you the world via imagery. In the shannara books, you get characters who find some magic object(s), become uber powerful, save the kingdom/world/future or past kingdom, and then never hear from them again. When I finished those books, I was left with a haze of where they were and what they were doing.
I loved the first Series so much, and While I enjoyed Shannara i haven't read it in years, and i usually read the heck outta books.

I'm also not opposed to Teen books on occasion. Tamora Pierce is another of my favorites.

Ah! And who could forget Christopher Stasheff's "A wizard in Rhyme" series. Transported to an alternate historical land where poetry and song work the wonders of Magic, he rescues a queen, cures a dragon of drunken flying, and Saves the kingdom through various threats from the worshippers of Satan(And other evil dieties) and practitioners of evil magic. It's based heavily in Catholic Doctrine. Still, it's awesome.

Lurker
Reputation score

Can't believe Chibi forgot this but Anne Mcaffery's Dragon riders of pern series is made of win.