What's new

Books

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Books

I picked up a novel at the library today called Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The shortest synopsis I can arrive at is that the end of days is coming and one angel and one demon seek to stop it. It's much deeper than that, I assure you.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I picked up a novel at the library today called Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The shortest synopsis I can arrive at is that the end of days is coming and one angel and one demon seek to stop it. It's much deeper than that, I assure you.
I've meant to read that for a long time. I just haven't been able to find it.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

That series sounds awesome. I'll have to go find it now. And you might be intrested in the Warlord Chronicles as well Copper. Morgan is an intresting character, being Arthur's sister and all, but the one that really has me intrigued is a priestess named Nimue.
Sherrilyn Kenyon. You have three options when starting out:

1. Start with Fantasy Lover. Julian (a Greek general cursed into a book to be a sex slave) is not an official Dark Hunter, but he is prominent later in the series. Continue on with Night Pleasures and go from there.

2. Start with Night Pleasures, go *back* and read Fantasy Lover and have your jaw hit the floor like mine did. I think I was screaming "What? No!" for five minutes before I calmed down and got back to reading. Continue on with series.

3. Start with Dream Hunter, which was published later, but actually takes place 10-odd years *before* Fantasy Lover/Night Pleasures. (This is not what I recommend, actually, but it works in a pinch, i.e., the store has none of the first books available.)

I also think Nimue makes an appearance in the second LoA book, Knight of Darkness. I'd have to go back and check.

And I *love* Anne McCaffrey. Haven't read a lot of the newer stuff, but I've read the older ones to death. Second Lumarin's statement. Also, I picked up Good Omens on a whim at a book fair because I went "Prachett + Gaiman = Win!" (and the back cover made me laugh.) Still haven't read it yet, though *laughs*

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I agree that "The Stand" is an awesome book, but it brings up the one thing I don't like about King - sometimes he just doesn't end his books properly. Instead of ending with the big bang he has to tell another story that you really don't care about all that much and has nothing to do with the main plot anymore.
This.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

Has ANYONE here ever heard of The Dresden Files? The series starts out with Storm Front, and the latest is Small Favor. It is a fucking WINASS series.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I FUKIN READ TWILIGHT OMFG MAN IT'S SOOOOOOOO DEEP ABOUT LIEK VAMPIRES AN SHIT

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Has ANYONE here ever heard of The Dresden Files? The series starts out with Storm Front, and the latest is Small Favor. It is a fucking WINASS series.
Aye. I haven't read them in order (yet) but I have them. I've read Summer Knight, though, and the made-for-comic story "Welcome to the Jungle." I love Bob. Haven't read them all because I don't *have* them all and with series, I like to do that. That, and I would love to try to find them on audio. I hear they're read by James "Spike" Marsters. Love him, too!

Also, Mo, if you like Dresden, check out Simon Green's "Tales from the Nightside." Noir detective meets Supernatural meets Smartass. If you like Harry, you'll likely enjoy those, too.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've got Storm Front and Fool Moon, but I haven't read either of them yet.

Last edited:
OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Just finished book 1 in the Warlord Chronicles... great ending. I loved it and anxiously await to open the second book.

Kaz

Lurker
Reputation score

Ben counter is my favorite writer, he writers about scifi and Souldrinkers was just amazing work of his.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I wish there was a dang bookstore near me, so I could get some of these dang books. Then again maybe it's time to move again anyways this state is quickly going straight downhill with no brakes.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I have a friend who read the Twilight books cause his girlfriend made him, and his comments are as follows:

"The main chick is so fucking stupid I want to step into the pages and strangle her until her eyes burst"

That's my experience with Twilight.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I think you've gotten the full experience then. XD

QuirkyQuark

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't get to read much lately, but I just finished one of the better books I've read. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Check out for a "Quick" plot summary. I usually don't go for books that are 1000 pages, but I just didn't seem to notice with this book.

As for horror, I recommend a couple;
The Omen by David Seltzer
666 by Jay Anson(it's a bitch to find, wasn't even on chapters.ca)
and pretty much anything by Edgar Allan Poe (not quite horror, but fucking creepy)