What's new

Both sides of the Adventure (Concept + Interest check)

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Both sides of the Adventure (Concept + Interest check)

Quick question: With the current set up, the dungeons are mainly balanced for level 0s... What if a villian wanted to create a harder dungeon primarily balanced for higher level characters?

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Do we have the greenlight for character and dungeon creation now?

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Can we have secondary encampments that only appear depending on if the adventurer succeeded or failed the primary?

(Say, the primary is a crumbling rock bridge and if the player crosses it successfully, they reach a safe encampment, otherwise, they fall and tumble down to the next area. Conversely, the adventurer might be trying to climb over a heap of magical refuse and botches their roll, causing a small avalanche of junk. As a result, they accidentally find a mirror that heals some of their wounds before using up its magical charge.)

Also, for hidden challenges, is it that we pay the hidden challenge in addition to the normal?

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Quick question: With the current set up, the dungeons are mainly balanced for level 0s... What if a villian wanted to create a harder dungeon primarily balanced for higher level characters?
+1 character level gives you 50 more Energy to work with, for now.

The system still needs balancing, and larger dungeons will be added as the variations for other creation methods come into play.

Do we have the greenlight for character and dungeon creation now?
Yes it's a greenlight. I'll PM Nunu for a subforum and we'll get posting shortly. For now, save your charsheets, and PM me dungeons for approval so when we get our subforum we can start ASAP.

Remember to save any comments and ideas for balancing or adjustments while making your dungeons/characters, and while we play, as the system is still more or less in "beta" mode.

Can we have secondary encampments that only appear depending on if the adventurer succeeded or failed the primary?

(Say, the primary is a crumbling rock bridge and if the player crosses it successfully, they reach a safe encampment, otherwise, they fall and tumble down to the next area. Conversely, the adventurer might be trying to climb over a heap of magical refuse and botches their roll, causing a small avalanche of junk. As a result, they accidentally find a mirror that heals some of their wounds before using up its magical charge.)

Also, for hidden challenges, is it that we pay the hidden challenge in addition to the normal?
Wonderful ideas! I hadn't considered this aspect yet. I'll think on the rule adjustments for it and add some things shortly.

As for hidden challenges (And dead ends) you pay the cost to make it hidden/dead end, Plus the normal cost of creating the challenge.

The idea of a hidden challenge is that the Adventurer won't know how good or bad it is, or if her stats are geared towards it, or weak against it. It gives a slight "uh oh" factor, since she'll never know for sure until she dives into it. But as a cost, the Villain must spend more energy setting it up and maintaining it.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

"The Mirror of Youth" has been submitted for approval.

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

"The Mirror of Youth" has been submitted for approval.
"The Mirror of Youth" has been approved, with a few suggestions for tweaks.

As soon as we have our subforum, our first dungeon is ready to play! Great job Pheonix, it sounds absolutely enticing!

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Can a villain be an organization, or the head of an organization that the dungeon is based on, but the final boss is not the villain itself? Say, an evil cult?

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Yes. Hell, you probably don't need a final boss if you don't want one.

Gatorbait

*hic*
Reputation score

Did I miss the adventurer char sheet? or is there not one posted.

Gatorbait

*hic*
Reputation score

Aha. See I knew I missed it. Thanks!

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Can a villain be an organization, or the head of an organization that the dungeon is based on, but the final boss is not the villain itself? Say, an evil cult?
The "Villain" is rather merely the creator of the dungeon (IE, the player). The dungeon itself could be anything they make, and have any boss. You are not required to put your "villain" character as a final boss in any dungeon you make.

There will be further details on making villainish characters later though, including an option for a roaming villain character that could make an earlier challenge FAR harder, but at the same time, if defeated, would make the dungeon easier as well :)

I've already been given a few more ideas from players, and have a mid-sized list of alternate ideas as well, all of which will be added as the system is tested and balanced.

Yes. Hell, you probably don't need a final boss if you don't want one.
Technically you don't "need" a final boss, but the final boss fight is typically the lynch-pin of a dungeon. It is also the hardest fight in the dungeon since BOTH challenges MUST be passed to beat it, giving you lots of chances to defeat an adventurer.

If you really don't want an end-boss, just give it a typical stage setup, 2 paths, etc. But expect your dungeon to be beaten more easily.

Did I miss the adventurer char sheet? or is there not one posted.
I'll be re-posting the rules only in a thread here shortly, I'm working on a few things at the moment, but anyone who has a dungeon, feel free to launch it (Pheonix :p )

Laughing Hyena

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Im in. Just PM on any essentials need of me. I have dunegons in my head and play a very cruel and malicious but fair master of a dungeons. A ton of people will tell you that much... right Vaccus?

::Evil twisted grin::

err anyway is there like a map you want or did you want us to just detail te dungeons in writing? Cuz I'll get craking on this as quick as I can.

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Im in. Just PM on any essentials need of me. I have dunegons in my head and play a very cruel and malicious but fair master of a dungeons. A ton of people will tell you that much... right Vaccus?

::Evil twisted grin::

err anyway is there like a map you want or did you want us to just detail te dungeons in writing? Cuz I'll get craking on this as quick as I can.
Beautiful (and I love your av pic).

The game is just getting going now, we're more or less in beta-mode.

The idea was to not need maps or lots of resources, the "challenges" for an Adventurer are simple to roll out, then we focus more on the RPing side.

Right now only the simple system is in play, more complex systems will be added in time, as the system gets the bugs worked out and proves functional.

Gatorbait

*hic*
Reputation score

I'll be re-posting the rules only in a thread here shortly, I'm working on a few things at the moment, but anyone who has a dungeon, feel free to launch it (Pheonix :p )
Awesome! I look forward to it!

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

OH! The Rules for villains give me a major headache! >_< I would like to do both the dungeon creation is just too confusing! Can somebody please give me a sample of creation for all of the challenges, So I can TRY to figure it out?

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Earlier, Kathy posted this:
Stage 1
Option 1
Primary Type(Stat, Difficulty, Cost)
Secondary Type(Stat, Difficulty, Cost)
Other types(Cost):
Simple descripton:

Option 2
Other types(Cost):
Simple descripton:
Stage one would be the first of the 6 stages/challenges in a basic dungeon.

Each option is one choice for a route through that challenge.

This is for the primary challenge. You put down that it is a primary and then fill in what's in the brackets as ("The stat the path is based on, either combat, explore, naughty, or spirit", "The difficulty rating of the challenge", "The energy cost to create this challenge for the villain").

This is the same as above, except that you also choose which of the two secondary types you are using. Also, if you are using the secondary 'multiplier x1' for the damage from the secondary type, put that instead of the difficulty as the damage is unavoidable if the player fails the primary.

For the cost here, you pay 7 + (2 times the base modifier). The base modifier is 0 by default, but when the villain increases or decrease the challenge rating of the primary type the secondary is attached to, the modifier and thus the cost of the secondary changes. The base modifier is also changed by using modifiers for the second type.

Other types(Cost):
You might not here that there is an encampment and how much you gain from that. Conversely, you might note that this is a mini-boss or boss encounter and include the extra cost for that here.

Simple descripton:
What does this path include? Is it sneaking past the enemy? Is it fighting them? Is it singing a ballad while juggling flaming hamsters?

Simply put, describe what pathway that option is for.

Tent, Is that what you wanted?

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

So like
Code:
Stage 1
Option 1
Primary Type(Combat, 15, +5?)
Secondary Type(Naughty, 12, +2?)
Other types(Cost): none
Simple descripton: A guard

Option 2
Primary Type(Explore, 12, +2?)
Secondary Type:none
Other types(Cost)none
Simple descripton: Sneak past the guard?

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Challenge Type: Primary, Default.
Triggers: Primary, Automatically when starting a stage choice.
Base Challenge Rating: 16
Cost to Set: 10 energy. Base Modifier is 0.
Effectiveness (Balanced): 50%
Damage: 1 per point failed by.
Modifying: +1 Challenge Rating costs 3 energy and +1 Base Modifier.
(reverseable to -1 challenge rating for -3 energy and -1 base modifier.)

Description: A typical encounter for a level 0. These cost very little to put out and are your base attacks. A character with balanced stats has a 50%chance of success against this encounter. And even with a total fail (1), they would only take 10 damage. As a primary trap, it's cheap but slightly ineffective, should likely be used as filler for otherwise empty rooms.

Challenge Type: Secondary, multiplier x1.
Triggers: when failing a primary challenge.
Base Challenge Rating: None, auto-scales to Primary Roll fail.
Cost to Set: 7 energy + (2x Base Modifier)
Effectiveness (Balanced): Same as Primary of the room.
Damage: Equal to Primary Damage.
Modifying: 50% more damage (rounded down) for +4 energy and + 1x Base Modifier. (can be taken multiple times)

Description: A typical additional challenge, useful for injuring stats with high Ability Score, as the ability score is ignored. The weakness of this trap type is that if the character is very tough in the primary stat, this will likely not do very much damage, if any at all.

Challenge Type: Secondary, Tough Roll.
Triggers: When failing a primary challenge.
Base Challenge Rating: 21
Cost to set: 7 energy + (2x Base Modifier)
Effectiveness (Balanced): 75%
Modifying: +1 Challenge Rating costs 1 energy + 1x Base Modifier.

Description: An advanced challenge doing more damage by having a tougher challenge roll. Due to it being a secondary challenge, it only activates if the Primary Challenge is failed, so the cost is substantially lowered compared to the Primary Challenge.

Challenge Type: After, Dead End.
Triggers: After defeating a challenge.
Base Challenge Rating: none.
Cost to Set: 15 energy.
Effectiveness (Balanced): None
Modifying: None.

Description: A simple dead-end path. This kicks in after a challenge is completed, when the Adventurer realizes they must go back and complete a different challenge on this stage to continue. Useful for "encampments" to force the player to take a challenge after resting, but may be placed anywhere. Especially useful for making mazes with many branching options, but the high cost means it should be used sparingly.

Challenge Type: After, Encampment.
(EDITED! Encampment is now an after-effect on a challenge, forcing a player to defeat a challnge before entering the encampment area. Courtesty of Pheonix who indirectly alerted me that replacing a challenge entirely with an encampment seems unbalanced.)
Triggers: After defeating a challenge.
Base Challenge Rating: None.
Cost to set: Restores Gain 50 energy. Base Modifier is 5.
Effectiveness (Balanced): None
Modifying: Still being tweaked.

SPECIAL: A space with an encampment on it may have up to 2 additional modifiers on the challenge, forcing players to face a difficult task to reach the encampment's safety.

Description: A safe place for players to rest and recover. This "challenge" is typically added to larger dungeons with many branched paths in order to get more energy for higher range challenges. The rules for balancing encampments are still being worked out, but obvious attempts to abuse the system (such as placing encampments in the first stage so later stages can be super-powered), are not allowed. GM will rule if an encampment is valid or not.

Encampments restore up to 20 Points to a player (typically starting with Willpower), in any way the player sees fit, up to max points.

Challenge Type: Hidden (Single Trait, modified for hide-all).
(EDITED: This version of hidden may now be used to hide a single trait only (such as Encampment, or a particularly nasty 2nd challenge), but you still put "hidden" in for that trait. Cost reduced dramatically to scale for variation of encampment.)
Triggers: Pre-Battle.
Base Challenge Rating: None.
Cost to set: 0 energy + Base Modifier x2
Effectiveness (Balanced): None.
Modifier: Hide-All. Costs 5 more energy, no base modifier increase in cost.

Description: Sometimes challenges are just meant to not be seen. From a well placed trap, to an ambush party, or a sexual curse over an area. Hidden challenges are simply listed as (Hidden) in the choices, allowing for the Villain to make the player question wether or not it's the right way to go.

RP should still be leading up, but make the player think twice about what they may encounter. Having creative hints is encouraged, and making it seem like a good idea to take this path is always a fun thing to do. A hidden encampment is a common occurance, to make the player avoid taking the bonuses and restoring their life, but the balance is the cost of 20 energy to hide an encampment. Almost half of what you would gain from the encampment itself.

(One possible RP approach for a hidden encounter is to play it as if it was a safe encampment when the character enters, then hit her with the challenge the next post in, ruining her hopes of restoring lost points. :p )

Challenge Type: Miniboss
Triggers: Primary + Secondary Challenge modifier.
Base Challenge Rating: Special.
Cost to set: Special.
Effectiveness (Balanced): Special.

Description: Sometimes just ordinary challenges won't cut it. The Miniboss is a special challenge that players will occasionally run across.

To create a Miniboss, use the typical stats from above, but add 50% to the final cost to create (rounded up if necessary).

In order to beat this boss now, the player must actually Succeed at the roll. Meaning a failed roll will cause damage and the player is not able to pass the challenge as they would other challenges. However, the Miniboss will be given a -2 to their challenge rating for each attempt a player makes, which slowly adds up to their defeat, if the player can survive the attacks, that is.

After failing a miniboss challenge, the Adventurer may choose to flee and try the other challenge in the stage, thus avoiding the miniboss... However the damage is likely already done.

Challenge Type: End-Boss (May or may not be the Villain, but it will end a dungeon if defeated)
Triggers: Primary + Secondary Challenge modifier.
Base Challenge Rating: Special.
Cost to set: Special.
Effectiveness (Balanced): Special.

Description: Similar to the miniboss in every way, except add 100% to the final cost to create instead of 50%.

The boss has one extra, special quality. Since the End-Boss is always in the final stage, it can NOT be avoided, and it may have TWO Primary Challenges.

If both primary challenges are beaten, the boss is defeated.

If only one is beaten, the boss is considered weakened, but will continue to fight, using BOTH Primary Challenges as attacks, until the second one is cleared as well.

That means (as an example) no matter how many times someone beats the boss' combat challenge, if they can't clear the Lewd Challenge, they'll simply be fucked into submission anyhow!

Both challenges will be given the same -2 per round as the Miniboss though, so make sure your boss has decent stats if you don't want to be defeated too quickly!

Stage 1
Option 1
Primary Type(Combat, 15, +5?)
Secondary Type(Naughty, 12, +2?)
Simple descripton: A guard
You made the types a bit oddly here.
The default setting for a primarry encounter is described below.

Challenge Type: Primary, Default.
Triggers: Primary, Automatically when starting a stage choice.
Base Challenge Rating: 16
Cost to Set: 10 energy. Base Modifier is 0.
Effectiveness (Balanced): 50%
Damage: 1 per point failed by.
Modifying: +1 Challenge Rating costs 3 energy and +1 Base Modifier.
(reverseable to -1 challenge rating for -3 energy and -1 base modifier.)

Description: A typical encounter for a level 0. These cost very little to put out and are your base attacks. A character with balanced stats has a 50%chance of success against this encounter. And even with a total fail (1), they would only take 10 damage. As a primary trap, it's cheap but slightly ineffective, should likely be used as filler for otherwise empty rooms.
In other words:

Code:
Option 1
Primary Type(Combat, 16, 10)
Simple description: A guard
That would be strictly fighting the guard with no secondary effects.
The base challenge rating is 16, the base cost is 10, and the base modifier is 0.

Adding a secondary type:
Challenge Type: Secondary, multiplier x1.
Triggers: when failing a primary challenge.
Base Challenge Rating: None, auto-scales to Primary Roll fail.
Cost to Set: 7 energy + (2x Base Modifier)
Effectiveness (Balanced): Same as Primary of the room.
Damage: Equal to Primary Damage.
Modifying: 50% more damage (rounded down) for +4 energy and + 1x Base Modifier. (can be taken multiple times)

Description: A typical additional challenge, useful for injuring stats with high Ability Score, as the ability score is ignored. The weakness of this trap type is that if the character is very tough in the primary stat, this will likely not do very much damage, if any at all.

Challenge Type: Secondary, Tough Roll.
Triggers: When failing a primary challenge.
Base Challenge Rating: 21
Cost to set: 7 energy + (2x Base Modifier)
Effectiveness (Balanced): 75%
Modifying: +1 Challenge Rating costs 1 energy + 1x Base Modifier.

Description: An advanced challenge doing more damage by having a tougher challenge roll. Due to it being a secondary challenge, it only activates if the Primary Challenge is failed, so the cost is substantially lowered compared to the Primary Challenge.
Would change it to one of these:

Code:
Option 1
Secondary Type(Naughty, Multiplier x1, 7)
Here I used the multiplier x1 secondary type. This means the adventurer will take damage equal to the amount they took in the primary without them getting to make a roll at all.
The over all cost for this option is 17 energy.

Code:
Option 1
Secondary Type(Naughty, 21, 7)
Here I used the tough roll secondary which has a base challenge rating of 21. Again, the over all option cost is 17 energy.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Okay I think Im getting it now