What's new

Chapter 2 - The Calm Before the Storm

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Chapter 2 - The Calm Before the Storm

"Oh, it's four-oh-three." River said quickly, followed by a second of silence and the sound of feet on gravel. "You three have fun now."

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

She notes the background noise, in case there's a reason for remembering it later. "You too," she replies. "Later." Disconnecting the call, she presses the appropriate button and waits.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"Always." River says before they both hang up.

This time, they got the return buzzer after only a few seconds. After a long trek up three flights of stairs, they reached the rather unremarkable door. By the time they reached it, they could hear the sounds of multiple locks being removed, unlocked, and slid away.

The man who finally opened the door was a couple inches taller than Raven, with a caucasian complexion and a fair amount of acne. He was wearing a dress shirt and pants, but obviously hadn't changed out of them in at least a week. He also had an old baseball cap on, which he was currently using to avoid looking either of them in the eye with. He scanned them and the hallway intensly, then opened the door the rest of the way. "Hey there, come on in."

The apartment was pretty much one wide open floor space, with the kitchen in one corner, demarcated by the linoleum and that was about it. There was a small couch in another, sitting close enough to a 50-inch tv that you could probably press the buttons with your toes from where you sat. The third corner (and much of a wall as well) was taken up by computer stuff, including an entire server tower and an older-looking desktop which was obviously better than it appeared, judging from the three monitors attached to it. there were three doors along the last wall, most probably a bathroom and a pair of bedrooms. The center of the massive space was empty, knowing River, she used it as a practice area or somesuch.

The man admitted them, then spent the next minute reattaching all the locks to the door, which they could clearly see from this side was made of metal. "So, long time no see, Raven." He says nonchalantly, still keeping his brim down. He was grinning though, whether that was good or bad.

((Forgot whether you were going to do Raven or not Ronny, so I left it open.))

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

As Fletch turns to peer down the alley, he is surprised to find Ronny waiting as if he were going to attack the first person to come around the corner. Ronny seems a little surprised that it was Fletch though as he refrains from moving toward Fletch and growls out.

"Why the hell are YOU following me around!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
((Actually you haven't quite got to the heroin-laced blood yet, but it still works.))

As Claire turns around she finds herself staring at a tall, clean-shaven male dressed in a dark suit, with his arms folded across his chest as he glares at her. She seems to remember him from the previous night as Prince Ken's bodyguard, the one who had nodded at Renee during the meeting.

"Oh, jeez you mean you still haven't got that stuff out of your system yet. I guess it's a good thing she asked me to help keep an eye on you for a couple of nights. You do know how to get that stuff out of you right?"

Alexander waits for a few moments before he asks, "Eve my dear are you still there?"

Raven nervously enters the room with Izzy and looks around nervously not quite sure what to make of things. As the other guy says long time no see though Raven's eyes light up in recognition before he stutters out a response.

"C-cody is that y-you, it has b-been a long time. S-something like 40 years I t-think."

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Claire blinks as she stares at the body guard, then finally shrugs.

"Nope, no idea. Do you know? Hey look claws!" she said, seeing her hand as if for the first time. She grins widely as she sees the smooth sharp tips jutting out from her fingers and begins to pluck at strings in the air.

Something in the back of her mind was trying to tell her this was all a very very bad idea... but she didn't dwell on it.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Climbing the stairs doesn't bother the blonde, nor do the locks, or the thought of being locked in, for some odd reason. What seems to put her a little on edge is the guy's apparent cagey-ness. She's already a little worried about meeting him as is, wondering what it was he wanted to talk to the two of them about, or at least Raven. She could understand some trepidation on Cody's part, but honestly, his behavior was setting her off for some reason, to the point of resisting the urge to reach out and take hold of Raven's hand. Better to keep things like that to a minimum until she got to know this guy better. To stave off the feeling, she stuffed her hands in her pockets fro the time being.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Fletch crosses his arms and builds himself up to full height. "I wasn't following you." He nods down the street. "My car shop is down the road, I was going to get some work done. You were looking mighty fishy though. Thought it couldn't hurt to see what you're up to as long as we're going the same way."

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Eve blinked and shook her head a little bit. "Sorry, Mr. Alexander, I guess I was still thinking about my window painting. I'm available tonight, unless something crazy comes up like last night." she shivered.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Prince Ken's bodyguard laughs as he watches Claire pluck at the air, with a shake of his head he asks.

"So I guess it's safe to assume that this must be your first time on whatever drug it was Renee took you to feed on. Too bad you didn't know she's a bit of a lush, might have saved you some trouble."

Looking around he gets a devilish smirk on his face as if he just hit on the perfect idea. Turning around he beckons Claire to follow him as he heads back down the trail the way they had come from.

"Don't forget your jacket, Renee tells me your fond of it and meet me at Shepard's Army Surplus. You may want to make sure you grab another meal on the way, too. See you there."

Raven has a big smile on his face as he reaches out to poke Cody in the arm as if to see if he's really there.

"I can't believe it, I mean what are the odds we would both end up in Red Deer of all places."

Turning to look at Izzy he notices that she's still kind of nervous about the whole meeting. Reaching out he puts his arm around her shoulder and pulls her closer to him. Looking back and forth between the pair he makes introductions.

"Cody, this is Izzy though knowing you you probably know more about her than I do already. Izzy it's all right, this is Cody he's and old friend of mine from my first coterie back in Boston. We both went to school there at least the first time I went to school that is. So how have you been Cody still up to the same old tricks I notice?"

Ronny doesn't back up from his spot and draws himself up just like Fletch does though he just lets his arms hang by his sides. Seeing as how they are both about the same height it would probably be a little intimidating to any passersby, but the street they are on is completely empty at the moment.

"I'm acting fishy. I was just walking along the street when I noticed some one following along behind me so I ducked in here to see who it was. Don't tell me you wouldn't have done the same thing if you had noticed someone following along behind you. So now that you know what I'm up to, why don't you just continue on to your shop and leave me alone."

When he finishes Ronny just keeps standing there staring back at Fletch obviously not willing to move till he does.

Alexander's calm voice answers her sounding almost relieved that she is all right.

"Oh it's quite all right my dear, the paintings must be lovely indeed to have distracted you so much. Perhaps you'll show them to me one these nights. First however we must make sure you are prepared for whatever Alize has planned for her monthly gala. Just meet me at Bellini's in an hour, it will be wonderful to get a chance to speak to you away from too many prying ears for once."

As he waits for her response Eve thinks she hears someone familiar in the background talking to Alexander, but she's unable to make out who it is or what is being said.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Claire stops plucking at the air, and giggles, her claws and eyes changing back to normal as if that small part in the back of her mind was still fighting to keep her from getting killed.

She gives an exaggerated nod and starts skipping down the path, singing 'Mary had a little lamb' as she went, playing an air violin as she moved down the path and closer to the city of Red Deer proper.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Raven's smile put her at ease somewhat, though she seems a little surprised by his gesture. As close as they are, he can feel her relaxing a little bit more, especially the more he chatters about the other vampire. Given what happened the first night, the statement about his knowing more about her doesn't seem to phase her all that much. At the introductions, she gives him a little wave and a slightly crooked smile in greeting. Seems she's going to let the two of them catch up. They've got, apparently, forty years worth to chat about.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Fletch sneers. "No, I don't know what you're up to. But then," he adds, dropping his arms, "it's none of my business, either. Try not to get yourself killed... again," the last word a murmur as he turns away from Ronny and whatever he is up to and goes to walk away from the scene.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

"Yes, sir." She nodded, even though he couldn't see and suddenly felt very silly. "I was given a check to get myself something nice, would you mind helping me pick something out tonight, if you have time?"

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

((Bah, holidays, sorry :/ ))

Cody takes the hat off once Raven recognizes him and flips it over to the couch, reaching out and poking him back. "Yeah, no kidding. I got hired by Ken to come in and deal with some issues about two years back, and he keeps me on a salary to make sure it doesn't happen again. So I'm living life easy right now." He motions to the couch for the pair to sit. "Go ahead and get comfortable, I'll pull up the desk chair in a minute. You two thirsty?" He asks, and his head turns back to the computer for a minute.

He holds up a finger to them for a second, then walks over and turns the left screen on for a few seconds, and grabs a headphone and mic set that looks like it belongs in a call center. "There's a squad car on the next block, keep on the east side of the building and you'll be fine." He says into it quickly, and sets everything back. "Sorry about that, still working." He explains with a shrug. "So, where have you been for the last forty years man?"

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Claire manages to move pretty quickly down the trail towards the city proper, looking up at the sky before she leaves the park area she notices how bright it is with the full moon high in the clear sky. Thankfully she hasn't completely forgotten her knowledge of the city from her time on the police force, and is able to avoid any trouble in the residential areas as she makes her way towards the meeting place.

She actually remembers using Shepard's on several occasions, as it was one of the best stores in town for her old hobbies before her embrace. The old woman who ran the place had always been friendly and seemed to know where to find anything Claire had needed, within reason that was.

She manages to get most of the way there before she is able to find another snack for the night. Not exactly the most satisfying meal she's had, but at least it wasn't tainted like her last meal had been. Leaving the old bum in the alley she had found him in she soon found herself looking across the street at the seemingly closed business she was told to meet at.

Ronny turns and begins walking back in the other direction just as Fletch continues on his original path. Unfortunately neither of them get more than a step when a pistol shot rings out down the abandoned street, shattering the window of an old Chevy Malibu on Ronnie side of the alley way. Ronny quickly dives down behind the car purely out of instinct, and crawls to the end where he ducks his head in and out from behind cover to try and see what's going on.

Fletch finds himself without any cover on his side of the alleyway, as the shot rings through the air before hitting the window behind him. Turning he just catches a glimpse of someone ducking back into an alleyway on the other side of the street. Maybe it's the neighborhood but if anyone is in any of the buildings around them they don't seem to make as much of a fuss as they had the night before on their little book-recovery mission.
((I'll let you describe clothes and what not, but I'll move us along to the place.))

After a short pause where she hears Alexander whispering something to the person he is with on the other end of the phone he answers.

"Of course, it was one of the things I had planned on discussing at our meeting tonight. I'll see you there soon, my dear."

After waiting for her goodbye Alexander hangs-up, to allow Eve time to get ready for the meeting. Eve remembers having been to Bellini's once before with her manager, Crystal, to relax after one of her previous shoots. It was mostly the type of place that businessmen took their clients to for drinks, but it did have a bit of class to it as she remembered.

After dressing and locking her apartment up she made her way downstairs to her car. After a relaxing drive through the downtown area, she made her way south to where Bellini's was located with plenty of time to spare before the meeting was to happen.
((Well it's not like I've been a bastion of quick posting the last couple of weeks.))

Raven seems more relaxed to Izzy than he has seemed since they first met as he moves over to the couch to take a seat. He seems genuinely glad that their mysterious benefactor turned out to be who it was. Still he doesn't forget about the new love of his life and gives her a reassuring squeeze as they wait for Cody to finish with his work.

"I'm not thirsty just now, are you Izzy?"

After Cody asks what he's been up to Raven gets a bit of a sad look on his face for a second before he answers with a shake of his head.

"Well mostly the usual, getting by on my commissions and moving to a couple of different schools between the States and Canada. Nothing really exciting since we would have last seen each other. I'm not really the type to go looking for trouble if I can avoid it after all."

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Wiping her lips clean with her hand Claire moves across the street to the old Army Surplus. For a moment she stared at the glass doors that led inside, wondering if the store owner was still within. Carefully setting a hand against the glass, Claire peers within, and jumps back and shouts at the window... before realizing the figure she saw within was actually a mannequin.

Realizing her error Claire grins and sits on the sidewalk, waiting for her meeting to commence whilst trying to catch invisible fireflies... she really wished they'd blink more often, they were so much easier to catch.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

After joining Raven on the couch, she settles back a little, still remaining in his hold for the time being. Izzy goes quiet as Cody holds up a finger and watches him, letting her eyes flick to the monitors, trying to follow what he's up to. In fact, she's still watching them while the two of them catch up, though she's also listening, given she glances over at him. "I'm fine for the time being, thanks." It kind of got her wondering what sort of drink he'd offer. Her mind flicked back to something mundane but not for very long. She was almost curious enough to say 'yes' at that point, but better to wait for the time being. As Raven mentions not looking for trouble, though, she lets out a little snicker-snort. "Admittedly, though, you didn't go looking for trouble. Trouble found us."

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay what the hell was he shooting at me or Ronny that shot definitely went my way oh shit I'm completely out in the open where should I go maybe into the alley or maybe I should get over there and tear that son of a bitch's throat out yeah that sounds like a good idea

After his mind has kicked into high gear and a decision has been made, Fletch sets his mind on putting it into action. He races across the alley - towards the attacker - and just hopes he can get to the son of a bitch before he shoots again.

(Fletch uses celerity)

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

When Cody had the monitor on, Izzy had spotted a few windows open. There had been a streetmap of red deer, and what looked to be two or three different audio programs of some kind, though she couldn't tell what they did from the short time they were on the screen before he turned it off again.

"Yeah, that's something I've noticed through all these years. Doesn't matter how hard you try to avoid it, trouble just seems to chase you around after the Embrace. You'd think that now there was forever for it to take it's time with you, that it would allow a decade's break now and then, eh?" He says with a laugh. "Speaking of," he says, turning back to izzy. "What are your plans, now that you're a god-forsaken, immortal, blood-sucking creature of the night?" The way he says it, she isn't sure whether or not he enjoys the prospect himself. The words say he doesn't, but the tone was entirely without rancor, almost cheerful.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Claire had no more than sat down, when she heard the door open and the voice of the old woman she remembered running the place sang out with a laugh.

"Well come on in youngster, don't mind the mannequin though he ain't the one you have ta worry about around these parts. Lee tells me he invited you over as a way of getting some o' that nasty street junk outta yer system. I still don't know what he see's in that girl, but ta each their own."

Raven doesn't seem to be paying all that much attention to the computer screen as it flashes on. Though he does look a little thoughtful at the mention of trouble finding them, almost like e wants to say something but decides to wait for a better moment.

Fletch takes off across the street towards where he saw the movement in the alley. Moving with unusual quickness for his size he finds himself across the street before Ronny can even duck his head out. Slamming up against the wall near the alley Fletch flattens himself against the wall before he enters the alley way.