What's new

Copper's Corner

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Copper's Corner

The breathlessness of his groans coincided with the tension that Nathaniel could feel growing in their bodies. Adran's hips had started bucking and he'd obliged by quickening not just his hand but his hips as well. Nothing passed his lips as he reached that moment that held him right on the very edge of release and when the pleasure finally did wrack through his body, it was Nate's name that he screamed before blessing and cursing the Maker, the completely primal feel of it being what undid Nathaniel as well.

Adran collapsed against his chest, panting breaths hot against his neck until they began to slow, more and more tension leaving him as they did so. One arm came up and settled against his back, the other found itself combing through his hair again. Content purrs began to replace breathless groans, though there was one final gritting of his teeth as Adran eased the two of them apart. Eyes closed, he felt the soft scratch of cloth against his chest, brushing down toward his stomach. Blindly reaching up a hand, he wrapped his fingers around the other man's and squeezed gently.

Stretching out his arm, he felt his shoulder being used as a pillow and smiled, feeling the warmth of the body pressed against his. His fingers found their way into those brown locks again and, as if in answer, lazy kisses dusted over his skin followed by a gentle squeeze around his waist.

Satisfaction mingled with contentment, not just because of physical needs being sated, but because of the utter lack of tension he felt in his partner. He'd come here seeking solace he wasn't sure he wanted and helped another find what that he craved. They'd both earned this rest.

Breathing slowed.

Comfort lingered.

And their sleep, dreamless.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Thought about doing this in the Lyrics and Videos thread, but then I realized, that's a lot of lyrics. And it doesn't quite fit with Funny/Awesome Video Tiem, so I figured I'd put this here. What I've got is a "soundtrack" to the game that I'm playing in currently, Geist - The Sin-Eaters. It's a White Wolf TTRPG and the first thing that happens to your character is you die. And at the moment of death, you make a pact with a Geist to basically bring them back from the 'other side' in exchange for them helping you fight off the reaper and granting you niftly little plasm-based tricks. Throughout playing the game, I've found that certain songs have just lent themselves very well to the characters and situations in the game, and thus, I composed a soundtrack for it. What follows are said songs, what they represent, and links to videos so you can hear them. Just a little fun thing I thought I'd do. Enjoy if ye wish!

- This is Becca's song. Becca is my character. Becca had her throat ripped out by a vampire who was chased away by one of the other characters. She's new to this whole sin-eater thing but she's kind of getting a crash course in what she can do and learning that the world out there is a lot bigger than she thought it was. It's fun. Granted, her geist isn't exactly a monster, but still...

- This is Jace's song. Jace is Becca's boyfriend. Jace is an Italian monk who happens to be a Hunter. He was chasing the vampire that attacked Becca and made a choice to stay with her and call an ambulance, not to mention stay in her hospital room for the three days she was unconscious. For all the crazy shit he deals with and "brings home," so to speak, he is pretty much one of the few stable things in Becca's life at the moment. She just recently found out that Jace is half-fae thanks to a deal his mother made with a Fae Lord and that's part of the reason why the man he thinks is his father is trying to kill him. Jace is currently in a holding cell in a fae realm, waiting to be sacrificed so a megalomaniac with dreams of granduer can try and become a fae lord himself. Think Jafar from Aladdin. If he survives that and Becca manages to rescue him, then they have to deal with his family reunion/retirement from active duty ceremony. In Italy. That his mother thinks is also going to be his and Becca's wedding.

Confused yet? Good.

- This is Xander's song. Xander is Jace's cousin who is also a sin-eater. Xander was sacrificed by her grandmother, the high priestess of a death cult, to help revive their goddess. Didn't take. Xander was also being groomed to be not only Jace's archivist (Think Watchers from either Highlander or Buffy) but there was talk in the family of those two getting hitched. (Something that seriously squiggs Becca out, and Jace, too, since he sees Xander as more of a sister than anything else. That, and she's too freaking willful to get married and be forced to settle down and make little Hunter babies.) Xander's also a very powerful sin-eater and sort of the unofficial leader of the krewe that's in town.

I also think it's funny that the three main characters are all inspired by/soundtracked by songs by the same band.

- This is Matt's song. Matt is an Australian photographer for National Geographic who won a Pulitzer for his photos of a sunset taken during a brush fire in the Outback. The reason Matt was there to take the pictures? The fire trapped him and his hiking companion and it was the last thing that he did before he died. And then he came back. Yup, another sin-eater. Matt's what's referred to as a "bone-picker." They're the ones that, after they come back, tend to live life to the fullest it has to offer. He was the first sin-eater that Becca met and kind of let her know that she wasn't alone out there. He, along with Jace, are Becca's "rocks" in her life. Things get to be too much for her and she can, luckily, count on him to at least be there for a hug and a pat on the head. Becca also takes great delight in stealing the black cowboy hat that he's always wearing.

- This is Julian's song. Adam is also pretty much what Julian looks like (Thanks to me. The GM had a different guy in mind but the response was "holy crap, you're right!") The song pretty much sums up Julian's early life which was, in a nutshell, a train wreck. He was an Olympic class gymnast that had his leg wrecked in a car crash and pretty much turned his life into a huge mess. He finally got himself turned around, starting his own clothing line, boutiques, the works when he found out he was dying of AIDS. A few days after Matt came to see him (heh, surprise! They're a couple.), he had his chance to make his Deal. He's still a bit of a party-boy at heart, but he's got a sensible side to him as well. Becca's "Auntie" Julian that, despite his hedonistic demeanor, she can count on as much as she does Matt (since where you usually find one, you find the other.) Jules is currently in the *same* holding cell as Jace, waiting to be part of the aforementioned sacrifice. This doesn't really surprise the rest of the group, since Jules is the Daphne in the Scooby gang that is their krewe.

- The GM's suggestion for Matt and Julian's song after I introduced her to Adam Lambert. Given that Julian was a "wolf in sheeps clothing" when he first met Matt, the mess that his life turned into after his accident, and the fact that Matt could still come back to him, not to mention stay with him, lends itself very well this song.

- Recently found this one, thanks to a friend, and I find that it fits Matt and Julian very well, though not so much as a relationship song but as a narrative to their respective Deals. Matt died in a brush fire in the Australian Outback and Julian died in a hospital bed. And both of them came back because of the other. Again, slightly amused because their songs are coming from the same artists.

- This is Onnagata's song. Onnagata is Becca's geist. For those of you that don't know and to save you looking it up, an Onnagata is a male kabuki performer who traditionally plays the parts of women. So Becca's sharing her soul with a Japanese cross-dresser. Who's gay. Her only saving grace in this is that they at least have the same taste in men (("What of your Jace? He's *very* pretty." "Yes, he is, but please, I don't want to scare the boy off." "At the rate you're going, nothings going to happen." "I'm not trying to get him into bed!" "You're lying." "No, I'm--" "You're lying." "Okay, I'm lying, but I actually *like* him. So, please, can we try this my way?" "*pout* Fine.")) Onnagata's somewhat benign as geists go. Once you get past the eyeless mask she wears and the fact that there's blood seeping out from under it onto her kimono from her slit throat, she's been relatively easy for Becca to get along with. She's only possessed her once without permission and has been a big help to her, especially when said megalomaniac was trying to get into Becca's dreams.

- Pretty much the theme song for Geist.

- Another sort of Geist theme song.

- We're likely going into a hostile fae realm that also, effectively, exists in Purgatory/The Underworld to battle someone with a god complex that has a great deal of magic and nasty creatures at his disposal to rescue a pair of princes that are currently being held prisoner. I think it fits. Not to mention the Underworld itself can be somewhat hostile in general.

- It's mostly the line about standing up at the gates of hell, but Jace has remarked that Becca's soul has more life than sense and she has a tendency to have more brass than is probably good for her but she's definitely not one to back down, especially not when she or her friends are threatened.

- A song about life and taking chances in it, which is what Becca's doing. There's also a line about looking fear in the face, which is another thing she's probably going to have to do, very very soon.

- So I didn't know it was her when I first heard this but the song seems to fit Becca well. Again, she's not one to back down from a challenge and even if she doesn't succeed the first time, that doesn't stop her from trying again.

- So, in the course of the game, the bad guy forced a mage in his employ to ressurect Jace's mentor and put him in a situation where he could stay alive, but only at the cost of other souls. And then pretty much presented him to Jace and Becca. So Jace had to go through losing the man that was effectively his father figure *again*. And so, after that in the game, where Becca's pretty much got an emotionally distraught Jace curled up against her, this comes on. I swear my radio knows.

- A song for Becca and Jace. Jace is a monk. Jace is under a vow of chastity that protects him from certain mind affecting abilities that vampires, mages, etc. have. So while they're a couple, there's no hanky-panky. Doesn't stop the want from being there, though.

- A more apt song for Becca and Jace, particularly when she realized she really could be falling in love with him. Jace's family is loaded. He's hot. He's got the aura of mystery and danger. He spoils her rotten with gifts, like a full dress kimono or a custom made cosplay gown or having VIP access to one of the hottest clubs in town. And all she cares about is having him come home safe so she can curl up in his arms. It's not about the money or about sex or any of that. It's closeness and companionship that she craves more than that.

- It was pretty much the first and third stanzas of the song that got me, not to mention the religious setting. Jace does patrol the streets, protecting the innocent, and he *did* spend three days at Becca's feet, even if she was unconscious at the time. It's not a perfect fit for the two of them, but it's close.

- Okay, so technically, it's about a woman, but the majority of the song fits Cassian and Raphael, who are Julian and Jace's fetches, respectively. A fetch is a fae construct, identical to their replacement, who takes their place in the real world after the original has been abducted by the fae. The krewe came to find out that M'brook had done so with these two and, traditionally, when the original gets loose, they usually kill their fetch. They couldn't exactly do that, since Raphael was supposed to be taking his place as heir to Jace's dad's Hunter clan (because he paid M'brook to a. provide him with a worthy heir and b. get Jace out of the picture. Nice guy, huh? Ohyeah, and he tried to choke Becca to death.) Cass and Rafe are *literally* made for one another (a little jab by M'brook). Their hearts are each a half of this huge diamond and they can't help but be together. It's cause a bit of emotional distress in the past, but they're working around it. Still, the song seems to fit.

- Hey, we stopped the ritual, killed the bad guy, and made it out all in once piece, with the Queen of the Summer Court in tow. The krewe definitely earned this. Along with all the booze they consumed.

- So, even though we're currently in the third campaign of our Geist game, the Boston krewe just doesn't want to rest. In between dealing with megalomaniacs, Becca and Jace have been planning their wedding. Was sitting with the GM one night and I posed the question as to what would be Becca and Jace's "first dance" song and the GM handed me this on her iPod. Because it fits. Perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

So, over the course of my Geist game, since Becca is a writer like me, I thought about putting her story down, from her perspective. Instead of coming out in prose, it turned into a poem instead. And usually when I start with poetry, more usually comes out. The first is Becca's take on her Deal. The second is about her "angels" and the third is open for interpretation *chuckles* They don't exactly require to you to be familiar with the backstory of the game (and if you want some, skim through the Soundtrack above. It'll help.) so hopefully they can be enjoyed as stand-alone pieces. We'll see.

My life began on the night that I died.

A chance encounter and then finding myself alone.

But I wasn't.

Fingers pulling through my hair, making shivers I've always hated.

Despite the closeness, there's no warmth to his skin.

The purr of his voice turns into a snarl.

Savage.

I should be torn and broken,

but when I open my eyes, something is there to greet me.

"Do you want to live?" the voice asks.

I'm angry at him.

I won't let him have his victory.

I'm afraid.

I don't want to go.

I'm at peace.

The voice will guide me.

"Yes."

I hold out my hand.

A deal struck.

A soul strengthened.

The Reaper kept at bay for one more night.

Breath dragged past bloody lips,

my life began on the night I died.

Without Wings

Angels come in many forms.

Cherubs.

Forever children.

Innocent. Sweet.

But you're not any of those, are you?

Not anymore.

Wanton. Seductive.

It's difficult to resist your call.

But there's a side of you tucked away,

behind the smiles and bedroom eyes.

I only see glimpses of it,

but what you have shown me

tells me I can trust.

Messengers.

Those who share the word.

Wise. Mercurial.

You were the first to find me,

the first I recognized as brother.

It's you that I turn to

so I can have the direction I need.

An easy smile and easier welcome,

yet around you, I fear the most.

I wonder often if patience is one of your virtues.

In seeking your history,

I know I can hope.

Guardians.

The divine swords.

Protector. Warrior.

Angel wings should lift one up,

but it's you that keeps me grounded.

Although you're the warrior,

I wish the most to protect you.

You teach me strength,

but you're my weakness.

I wonder what perfect you

sees in my imperfection

and I feel blessed.

A lifetime ago, we were strangers.

A moment ago, we were friends.

A heartbeat ago, we were apart.

A breath ago, we were one.

Will this be our story

or my imaginings still?

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I always seem to get a soundtrack stuck in my head for my characters or events in my games too. The songs do seem to fit quite well, even if the story is confusing, still sounds enjoyable though. I really like the song "Oh Death" though I had never heard this version before. Geist isn't quite what I thought it was, though I was pretty close. I knew being raised catholic would help out some day.

The poetry was good too, even though I don't usually like it. It made a lot more sense knowing what was going on after reading the soundtracks though.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, for me to actually sit down and type out the actual story that goes along with our Geist game would take a great deal more time and patience than I actually have right now. I wanted to give little snips but explain enough that they hopefully made sense. Looks like I partially succeeded.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh they made sense, just confusing in a soap opera sort of way.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

So, I was debating puting up the sequel to Price of Another's Sin or the idea I was considering originally, which was to jump to my *third* Geist game, Rin's story. I'll probably get the sequel up after I put it up on some of the other sites, but for now, I'm going with a little bit of Rin's back-story and her game soundtrack. I'm hoping, too, to make it a nice one, like Becca's, especially since Rin's game focuses on music, a lot. Anyway, here's a glimpse into Rin's head that will hopefully help set up the soundtrack as well. A little, too, to explain some of Rin's thoughts: She's a Stricken sin-eater, meaning she died from an illness of some sort. In her case, it was something in her brain she let go for too long and it became inoperable, though it wasn't anything she ever let on was wrong, nor anything she played up. And since this is our alternate-reality reality, the "show" she's talking about is a season of "American Idol" several back, when Rin was 17. She's now 22.

Another night, another bar.

I'm currently sitting at one of the tables with Jack, who is my best friend in the world for the duration of our project for our anthropology class. He's drinking a beer and I'm nursing a rum and Coke with no rum. The title of our little study is the mating habits of adult homo sapiens. Personally, I think Jack's just trying to score with whichever hot chick happens to catch his eye and wants an excuse to fall back on when his attempts at flirting don't get him anywhere.

Jack's subject is adult human females, ages nineteen to pushing forty. My subject is Jack. He just doesn't know it and, if I do my write-up properly, he never will.

I feel a nudge against my shin under the table and Jack subtly draws my attention to a pair of twenty-somethings that are whispering back and forth between themselves and shooting glances over toward our table. My attention slides back to Jack and I notice him preening. To hide my smile, I take another sip of my drink. I know the whispers and they're not for him.

"Do you think it's her?"

"It might be. It looks like her."

"Why don't you go over and ask."

"What? Me? No way. I couldn't. I--What if it's not her? It probably isn't."

All it would take would be a smile in their direction. Something to acknowledge them and that's all they'd need to validate their suspicions. Something that would likely have one or both of them scurrying over here to confirm what they think. To ask questions. To ask the question.

I don't spare them a second look.

After the show ended, there was the typical media frenzy. Talk show hosts that wanted to be the one that got the scoop on why the queen had abdicated her throne. Paparazzi that hoped to catch a glimpse of some torrid personal scandal that forced me to quit or to walk away. Oh, and let's not forget the hate mail. Some of it was tame. Some of it were actual threats from people that thought because they'd voted for me that I owed them something. Some of it might have even been considered heart-wrenching. People that claimed they looked up to me and when I'd just walked away from it all...

I finally came out on my own terms, if nothing else to get not only the press but the producers off of my back and so I could get on with my life. I smiled at the camera, looked down long enough to be demure but not long enough to be shy, took a deep breath, and told them that the reason I walked away was because I'd done what I'd come to do. I wanted to prove it to myself--not the public, not the fans, not the show, not anyone but myself that I could win their little talent show and popularity contest. Not in those words, mind you. Must be P.C. for the press... They thought I was competing against the other singers and, well, in a way I was, but not for the prize. I wasn't playing their game, I was playing mine. I was playing against the drama, seeing how far I could work the game that the television audience never sees, never knows they're a part of.

What they reported, of course, was that, while it had been an honor to be named winner, there were other things that I wanted to do with my life. It sounded fine enough to me, so I didn't dispute it. Mostly because, well, there were other things that I wanted to do with my life.

Currently that thing is college. The money from the show won't last me forever, but it's enough to keep me comfortable while I'm attending my classes. I'm only a freshman right now, so I don't have to worry about declaring my major for another few semesters. Right now, I'm just getting the preliminary classes out of the way. The ones that everyone needs credits for but no one can really tell you why, outside of making sure you have a well-rounded education.

Which puts me back in the bar. With Jack. And our project.

He's gotten up and headed over to the Doublemint Twins that noticed me earlier. When I catch all three of them casting looks in my direction, I know this can't end well. So I take my glass and head up to the bar. Or at least that's the plan.

The world spins and goes cock-eyed for a moment. There's a pain behind my eye and I nearly drop the glass as my muscles twitch a little. One hand goes to a nearby chair for support. Dammit. Must have gotten up too fast again. Damn twinges. You'd think I'd be used to them by now.

Right. Bar. Drink. Do not want to play starlet.

Except life has a funny way of throwing things in my face. The bar Jack dragged me to doesn't just have karaoke, oh no. That would be much too Nineties. They have Rock Band. Of course, most people just use the microphone like it's a karaoke machine, but occasionally some brave soul will pick up the guitar or the drum kit and play along with the singer.

The girl standing up there now has just started Evanescence's Bring Me to Life. And while I don't claim to be an expert singer, even if I did win a nationally televised contest, I like to pride myself on being a judge of good music.

What's coming out of this girl's mouth is not good music.

And so, against my better judgment, that little devil on my shoulder whispers in my ear, the angel takes a hike, and I take a deep breath.

You don't need a mike to be heard. All I have to do is get the attention of the people around me and it starts a ripple effect. First one head turns, then two, then a table, then the next couple of tables and soon, more eyes are on me than the game screen.

And I sing, too. I'm not just doing this to get attention, I want to do justice to the song, not hear it butchered by some half-drunk, Britney Spears wanna-be. I let the game carry the male portion, or maybe it's some of the male patrons. I don't notice, concentrating solely on my part.

As the music fades, I drop a ten on the bar for the tender, more than enough to cover my drink and a tip. The applause starts, but I don't notice. Nor do I pay any attention to the calls that are trying to get my attention. My head is starting to hurt again and I know I'm not going to get any peace. It's my own fault. Made my own bed. But there's still that part of me that won't back down from a challenge, real or not.

I swing by to where Jack is standing, the two girls chittering with excitement at this point and I say the magic words that just might bring him a bit of luck as I rest a hand on his arm.

"I need to bounce. I'll see you in class tomorrow."

And with that, I divert the attention to him. He is now the sun, moon, and stars of the world on which his two maybe-soon-to-be conquests reside. I'd really love to see how this one plays out, but I'm not going to be able to now. I'll just have to keep my mouth shut the next time we go out for "research gathering" before the paper is due.

Hailing a taxi, I slide into the back seat and give the driver the address to my housing before I tip my head back to the seat and close my eyes, letting the world just fade away into the sounds of traffic and the whispers in the back of my mind.

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Excellent story, I like the perspective you used and how it portrayed a more personal, introverted take on singing. Naturally my favorite part was when she usurped the half-drunken wannabe in the bar, did some justice and served the wannabe right.

To note something in real-life, it's a shame you don't need to be good to be famous.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Rin's Soundtrack

Expect this to get updated as the game progresses. As I said, music plays a big part in Rin's life. She loves to sing, even if she won't admit to it any more and downplays her fame from her win on the show. At any rate, here's the soundtrack as it stands thus far.

- Rin's song. Not only is it her favorite piece of music, it's a good Sin-eater song and how she feels, in general, about being resurrected.

- Seth's song. Rin hasn't actually met Seth in game yet, but I know *of* him. He's an angel, fallen to earth (not a fallen angel, mind you, at least not in the literal sense.) He's got a bit of an innocence to him, in not understanding the mortal realm, so I joked with my ST that this would fit.

- Actual song for Seth, which, when I sent it to my ST, I got "shockingly insightful." Could be because he has dreams (nightmares really) of battle, of losing, of waiting, of torture...Angels versus Demons is not a pretty thing.

- My "possible relationship" song for Rin and Seth, which the ST admits would be "fucking weird" but not out of the realm of possibility. If the two of them do wind up getting together, I could see this being their song.

- Another "potential relationship song," this time for Rin and Pendergast. He's the FBI agent that's been a constant in all the Geist games so far. He's a bit of a badass, clever, very Holmesian with a dry wit. Take out the badass part and you've got Rin. Two sides of the same coin, those two are either going to spark or burn, one of the two *laughs*

- This has become something of Rin's song for Pendergast and their relationship song, at least on her end. Given his nature, she likes being around him and even brief contact with him tickles at her geist. Not to mention that she's realized that she's attracted to him and he's comforted her on more than one occasion when M'Brook's been around to threaten her.

- Recently, Rin had induct Pendergast into the weirdness that is her life and by induct, I mean give him a crash course in the supernatural word of Sin-Eaters. One aspect of that is that the spirit of his deceased wife is currently being used to make one of her friends into a psudo-Sin-Eater thanks to M'Brook. After telling him that, Rin spent the evening sharing a dream with Pendergast where she essentially did her best to comfort him. The fact that the rainstorm outside the room they were in reflected upon his mood is no coincidence as to why I picked this song.

- Rin's song for Dion. Dion is the quintisential frat boy who hits on anything that has tits, including Rin, who, given that she rejected him, only means that she's "playing hard to get." And that Monster she dumped on him for getting fresh? Totally a sign of affection *eyeroll*

- Rin and Dion's song. I won't say it's a "relationship" song in the traditional sense, but I think it sums the two of them up nicely.

- I haven't quite decided if this is the "sum up the game" song or a song for Mercy, one of the other NPCs. As Corrie, Rin's roomie, points out: "I don't think I've ever met a guy more happy to be alive." To which Rin just chuckled. Mercy is one of Dion's krewe, and while he likes to have a good time, he's not an ass about it like Dion is. After conferring with the ST, this is now Mercy's song.

- The song I've decided kind of sums up the campaign. M'Brook has a tendency to stalk people in dreams and Rin is, essentially, the one that's going to have to stand up to him and out-maneuver the bastard. Granted, I don't think there'll be a chance for someone else to pick up the mantle if she fails, but then, she's not planning on failing.

That's all for the time being. More as the game goes along and I find things that fit the other NPCs.

Last edited:
OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Excellent story, I like the perspective you used and how it portrayed a more personal, introverted take on singing. Naturally my favorite part was when she usurped the half-drunken wannabe in the bar, did some justice and served the wannabe right.

To note something in real-life, it's a shame you don't need to be good to be famous.
Thank you *smiles* That was Rin's favorite part, too *laughs* Her Vice in the game is Pride, after all. But yes, singing is the one thing that Rin enjoys above all else. She's one of those "music is a universal language" type people. It's a solace for her, it's a joy, it's what gives her that sense of pride (not to the point of her Vice, mind you, but still.) As I said, hopefully, as the game goes on, I can soundtrack it even more than I did Becca's, given the fact that it's such a big part of Rin's life.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Gul durn it, now the song Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress is going to be stuck in my head all night long. At least its a good song though, so I guess that's not a bad thing.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Could be worse. I have "Womanizer" still from two days ago.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

for some odd reasosn I've had Ghost n' Goblins Level 1 stuck in dere for a week or so :p beat THAT!

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Could be a lot worse, a certain Disney song comes to mind as getting stuck in my head if I so much as...damn there it goes.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Given with as much fanfic as I write, you'd think I'd be posting here a lot more often. Ah well. Suppose time off is good. Only been a few, what? Months? Heh. But, got in a bit of a kick to put something up again and since I just happened to have an episodic story, figured I'd do something with that before I formally put it up on other sites.

Let's see...not so usual disclaimer. It is, surprisingly, another Het story. Partially done because the prompt seemed cute (got it off that one site) and my other friend was bitching that "nobody writes girl x guy stories anymore!" So I did this one. It's another Dragon Age, and it's Awakening, so the usual spoiler disclaimers apply, but I really don't think I have too many, but seriously it's been a year at least. I'm not making spoiler excuses for my fandom anymore. Not unless I do DA2. Let's see...Rated...eh, PG13? There's no language that I can think of, no on-screen sex...drinking. I think there's drinking. Other than that, I was going for something kinda sweet this time around. The prompt was for an Anders and Leliana story, complete with courting, and so it rolled around in the brain and this is what came out.

Also, as an aside, I've updated my Geist soundtracks, if anyone cares. I just know updated posts don't show up as new.

Without further ado, I give you: Innocence and Grace

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

It was the girlish squeals that first got his attention.

The only woman whom he knew to be in the main hall of the keep was the commander and Warden-Commander Elissa Cousland did not squeal like a maid who had caught the attention of a dashing rogue.

Did she?

Quickening his pace, lest this unique event turn out to be something that would disappear as quickly as a Fade dream, Anders stopped in the doorway as he caught sight of the Commander clasping arms with another woman.

Her hair was what first drew his eye. An impossible to ignore mingling of braids and straight red hair that just covered her neck. Leathers, or at least he thought, given that the material didn’t seem to have the same look as, say, Nathaniel’s armor. It was skin, certainly, but seemed more...supple than hide. Two daggers framed her hips, one faintly crackling with lightning and the other, though it looked plain, fairly sung with power, something he could just sense, even if he couldn’t see the enchantments on it. There was also a bow slung over her shoulder that looked nearly as tall as the woman herself but in excellent condition. Nathaniel would know more about that than he, but he could at least pride himself on knowing a fine weapon when he saw it.

“It has been much too long, has it not, Elli?” There was no disguising the woman’s origins, which may have explained the touch of refinement he picked up in her voice.

“I couldn’t agree more, Leli.”

Both of them started giggling again and they shared an embrace that spoke of familiarity and, more importantly, camaraderie. Not wanting to intrude upon the moment further, the mage started to back out of the room when Elissa caught sight of him over the other’s shoulder.

“Ah, looks like you get to meet one of my Wardens right away.” She beckoned him closer. “Leliana, this is Anders, senior among the few mages we have here.”

The red-head turned and he found himself under a pair of studious blue eyes. Starting, he noticed, at his feet, her gaze traveled upward, lingering at his chest and finally meeting his own gaze. A half-smile came to her lips and he watched her eyes lid demurely.

“A pleasure, and a pity,” she remarked, her attention going to Elissa. “Seems this one is safe from having me as his tyrant of an instructor.”

Anders’ brows went up at that, turning his curious look on the commander. He also closed the distance between the three of them, intending on greeting Leliana properly.

“Leli is going to be assisting some of our rogues in their techniques. Nathaniel does a fair job, but there’s certain skills that I know he doesn’t excel at. Hopefully the two of them will compliment each other nicely.”

Offering his hand to Leliana when he was close enough, Anders gently held her fingers as he brought them to his lips, laying a kiss at her knuckles. “Hopefully he doesn’t compliment her too much. His flattery might start to seem insincere.” He grinned.

Leliana laughed. “Should I worry over this Nathaniel, my friend?” She cast a glance to Elissa.

The other woman shook her head. “If you do, I want you to tell me because someone will be in so much trouble...”

“Oh? This sounds like a story I simply must hear.” One brow arched upward.

“I promise you plenty of details later. Shall we get you settled?” Elissa looped her arm with the other woman’s and began to lead her from the hall.

“Lead the way, my friend. Show me more of your grand new home.”

Anders almost followed the two of them, but thought better of it. Given the familiar way the Commander lead Leliana away, it was clear she wanted time with the woman herself. Watching them go, he frowned just slightly, suddenly regretting that he hadn’t the proper training to garner her attention later on.

Realizing that he likely looked strange simply standing in the middle of the hall, he shook his head and continued on his way to his workshop once again. As he went, he mused over the scent that he’d caught the faintest hint of as he’d drawn Leliana’s hand to his lips, wondering if, perhaps, it might be as exotic as the woman herself.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

“So,” Leliana drolled. “Who is this Nathaniel and why should I be wary of him?”

They weren’t even out of the hall and she couldn’t resist getting gossip from her friend. It had been ages since she’d seen Elissa and to have her hinting around a man’s name was certainly intriguing enough.

The Warden gave her a sly look. "Well, I suppose you could say that I inherited him with the Keep. He's the son of the former arl and was apparently here when I arrived."

Leliana didn't trust her friend's look. Her brow furrowed as she realized there was something about that statement that she was missing. The son of the former arl? Who had Elli received these lands from? When the realization hit her, she stopped, jerking the other woman to a halt.

"He's a Howe? He's the son of that...that..."

"And nothing like his father, thank the Maker. There's a slight resemblance. There's no denying that. But once we got over the fact that he'd initially come here to kill me, we found out--what?"

"If I wasn't there when you spared Zevran's life, I'd think you mad." Leliana shook her head.

"As I told him, sparing assassins has worked out well for me in the past. Now he's my second."

"And much more than that, I'd gather," the bard teased, delighting in the blush that came to the other woman's cheeks.

"Those are details that you do not need to know, thank you. Not that I would share them anyway. An arlessa can't have all her secrets spread about, now can she?"

Leliana gasped. "You speak as if I would share your secrets with everyone. You should know I would immortalize them in song first and then give them away in the guise of a love ballad."

That got the two of them laughing again. Elissa started them walking again, leading her through the halls and pointing out the occupants of the various rooms that they passed. She also informed the bard that she'd be sharing the wing with herself and the senior Wardens, in deference to her position at the Keep.

"Tell me a little about them, Elli?" They'd finally reached her room and Leliana was eagerly exploring her new surroundings while her friend perched on the corner of her bed. Most of her things hadn't arrived yet, but she was assured that she'd have her trunks within a day, two at the most. The bag that she'd brought with her held the things that she would not risk letting another transport for her.

"Well, you already know Oghren, so that will save me a bit there," Elissa began with a chuckle. "And I'm not entirely certain you'll actually get to meet Velanna while you're here. She doesn't spend a lot of time in the Keep, preferring to patrol the lands instead. She's from one of the local Dalish tribes. I make her report in now and again, but I suppose I can't really stop her from wandering."

"We both know how little they like to be tied to any one place. Is she a warrior, then, like yourself?"

Elissa shook her head. "She was a Keeper's first, I think, before--" She stopped herself. "Before she left the clan." There was more to it than that, but Leliana knew that tone. She'd get no answers from her friend, no matter how hard she plied her. "She's a very powerful mage, but her talents are better suited out there." She gestured toward the window. "And she is also better suited roaming around on her own."

"Charming girl, then?" The red-head arched a brow.

"Do you remember what Morrigan was like?"

Leliana's lips formed a little "Oh" at the explanation. "And Anders?" she found herself asking. There was something about the mage's demeanor that made her want to know more about how he'd wound up at Vigil's Keep.

"Apostate," Elissa replied with a chuckle. "He and the templar that were hauling him back to the Circle Tower just happened to be here when the Keep was sacked by darkspawn. He proved himself good in a fight and I didn't like the bitch that came to collect him, so I conscripted him. He's a gifted healer and reminds me a little of Alistair."

The bard saw the look that passed over her friend's face, coming over to embrace her. "A little too much at times?"

Elissa nodded. "They're good memories, though. And Maker bless him, he's made me laugh even at the times when I've wanted to cry."

"He seems a good friend, then."

"A very good one. I hope you like him, too, Leli. You two will probably get along. And Sigrun, too." She smiled, moving on to explain the Legionnaire she'd recruited. "You'll have to help me keep her busy, though. She doesn't like to be idle, unless she's reading. I only wish you'd had a chance to meet Justice. Admittedly, he took some getting used to, but he was...fascinating."

"Now this sounds intriguing. Do tell." Leaving her friend's side, Leliana unpacked her things to the tale of the spirit which had become a Warden, in a rather round-about fashion.

"Are you hungry?" Elissa finally asked. "I know you've been traveling for the better part of the day. Or would you prefer a bath? Or should I just show myself out so you can get some sleep?"

"A bath would be heavenly." She began working herself out of her drakeskin armor. "And if you don't mind my taking supper so late..."

"This is a Warden stronghold, Leliana. The kitchen staff sleeps in shifts."

That got her laughing. "Fair enough. Let me gather something to change into and you can show me to the baths.

Once she had her things, she followed behind the Warden as they picked their way deeper into the Keep. The stories Elissa had told her of her new companions had her intrigued, but none, perhaps moreso than the golden-haired mage who had boldly introduced himself to her. Pity they wouldn't be spending too much time together in the lists and, Maker willing, she wouldn't be needing his services as a healer all that much either.

Still, the notion of seeing him again seemed like it might be an idea worth pursuing in the near future. It was always worthwhile to be on good terms with someone who could patch you up, or at least that was the excuse she was giving herself at that particular moment.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

It hadn't taken long for Leliana to fall into the routine of the Keep. She was up with the recruits in the morning, breaking fast with them and taunting her charges with the "tortures" that she was going to put them through that day.

Not that he noticed, mind you, but she always seemed to look immaculate, even in the pre-dawn hours that they kept. It didn't matter if she'd been up half the night chatting with Elissa and Nate or sitting in the library and composing while Sigrun read, or even sharing a mug--or two!--with Oghren, she was always cheerful and more awake than he could say for himself at such hours.

But there he was, up with the recruits. It was Elissa's standing order that a mage be present at all training sessions, either to add to the lesson or, Maker forbid, put someone back together. Thankfully, the worst they'd had to deal with had been a wrenched knee when two of the recruits had gotten tangled up in one another. And since there were so few mages, they rotated the duty, same as those training.

Normally, too, the list was unoccupied, save those slated for practice, but since Leliana's arrival, there seemed to be more and more on-lookers. Elissa had solved that problem by declaring anyone found loitering would have to join in. A few of the more enthusiastic recruits took her up on the offer, but most cleared out after that.

Today was different. Blurry eyed, he'd made his way down to the yard, picking up his pace as he heard the clash of blades fairly singing as they struck each other. He should have expected what he'd seen, but the spectacle before him left him rooted in the doorway.

Nate and Leliana were in the middle of the courtyard, practically dancing around one another, their blades creating a rhythm as they clashed and scraped together. Both were using daggers, blocking with one and feinting with the other, keeping each other at bay. They moved in such a way, too, that neither would give the other their back, circling on guarded steps, watchful for where the next strike would come from.

Anders knew that Nate was at a disadvantage, fighting in the middle of the yard. Much more comfortable with a bow, if he did have to resort to his blades, he preferred to keep to the edge of the battle, a ghost flitting between enemies.

Leliana, on the other hand, seemed comfortable fighting as she was. Her steps were almost a dance, keeping her just out of the other's range. What seemed to be keeping her from completely gaining the upper hand was the fact that Nate had a longer reach and could keep her at a distance. What the other rogue apparently had a hard time guarding against were her legs. More than once, Anders saw her deliver a rather sharp kick to the archer's shin that had him cursing and backing up, putting him on the defensive as she pressed her momentary advantage.

"Where does a lady learn to fight like that?"

She laughed. "When have I ever claimed to be a lady? Darkspawn don't believe in the niceties of a formal duel."

Anders knew that all too well. More times than he cared to count, he found himself readying a spell while Elissa or Justice interposed themselves between him and some nasty looking weapons. You couldn't count on a controlled environment in a battle, but at the same time, you couldn't let yourself...get...distrac--Maker, was she looking at him? He'd surely been standing there long enough, he was surprised they hadn't seen him before this. But no, Leliana had caught sight of him, he was certain of it, her gaze turning in his direction...

For a split second too long. While her attention had been on him, Nate had closed the distance again and she let out a little cry as he stopped his blade close to her neck, her own coming up too late to deflect the blow.

"Finally managed to break your guard," he stated with a smirk, drawing the weapon away from her and sliding both back into their sheaths. He then stuck out a hand to her. "I can see why Elissa brought you here. They're going to learn a lot from you."

He couldn't make out her response, but from Nate's smile, she'd accepted the compliment. As the other man started into the Keep, he caught sight of Anders for the first time.

"Enjoy the show, Mage?" He grinned as he passed him.

"That was a lucky win."

"Don't remind me." A chuckle followed him back inside.

Finally leaving the door, Anders crossed over to where Leliana was resting. She sat on a bench, elbows on her knees and her head bowed. He hoped she was just catching her breath. Losing a practice match wasn't something to be in tears over.

"I'm sorry I cost you the fight," he remarked quietly.

"What?" She picked her head up and there was a flush to her face. Her lips were parted as she caught her breath. "You didn't cause me to lose."

"It just...seemed like I distracted you, that's all. I try to stay out of the way of the pointy bits whenever I can. I guess I didn't stay that far away."

"You...weren't a distraction, Anders. I simply...grew tired, that's all. I let Nathaniel win because I was getting tired."

Somehow, he didn't believe her. He didn't want to believe her. But then, wasn't that his ego, making him think that she'd only lost because she'd caught sight of him? "Right, well," he cleared his throat. "He didn't hit you at all, did he? Need any patching up?"

He reached out, brushing her hair back from her throat to check for any marks that might have been left there. The one thing he did notice was that she went very still as he did that. Presumptuous of him again, that she'd be comfortable enough with him to be as familiar as he was with the other soldiers here at the Keep.

She drew back, her eyes turning down for a moment before raising to his again. "I'm fine, thank you. We weren't dueling to blood, since our healer had yet to show himself this morning." A little smile pulled at the corner of her mouth.

"That's not what you should probably say to get me to show up on time from now on, you know." He grinned at her.

"Oh? And what might?"

He was thoughtful for a moment. "How about 'Show up early and I'll let you watch more of my impressive techniques?' I think that might work."

"Impressive, am I?" She arched a brow at him.

"Very much so."

Another smile. "Well, thank you. It has been a very long time since I have needed to draw on those particular talents. It's nice to see that I haven't lost my touch."

The sound of the morning's rotation of trainees interrupted them at that point. Clearing her throat softly, Leliana stood up and walked over to greet them. Not a part of her, gesture or tone, let on to the activity that she had just been doing. As far as they knew, she was only there moments ahead of them.

Anders found himself shaking his head, marveling at her endurance. Surely she could match his fellow Wardens in that regard. She truly was amazing, of that he had no doubt.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

It had been a stupid mistake. Letting herself be distracted like that. And yet, somehow her body couldn't help it.

Realizing that Anders had been watching her match with Nathaniel, not knowing how long he'd stood there, brought a flush to her cheeks that she couldn't easily dismiss.

To know that his eyes had been on her, watching her as she shuffled in and out of range of her opponent's daggers. Had he been watching the entire thing? Had he seen her movements? Even though it was a simple sparing match, she suddenly felt very conscious about how she'd been performing.

And those feelings continued through the day's lesson as well. She was constantly aware of his watching her as she put the recruits through their paces.

She kept telling herself it was because he had to. Anders was a healer and he had to be mindful. But that little voice in the back of her mind told her that he needn't be so dutiful. If someone were injured, they'd call out to him

No, he was watching her, and it took all of her restraint to keep the flush from her cheeks at that thought. She certainly hadn't sought his attention, but, just as certainly, she wouldn't turn him away.

Turn him away? What was she thinking? He'd been friendly, but that didn't necessarily mean that he was interested. His greeting the first day had simply been...polite. And just now, he'd merely been concerned that she'd been injured during the match. It didn't mean that he was striving for her attention.

Of course, if he were, she certainly wouldn't object. He was handsome and Elissa was right. She could see a little of Alistair in his personality, but it was slight. Anders was certainly his own man. Still, from what she'd learned in eavesdropping on her trainees and conversations with the other Wardens, he valued freedom above most everything else and, if the men were to be believed, that included his choices in partners.

"Never seen him with the same girl twice, that's certain," Sigrun had admitted when she sought her confidence. "But then, he's a flirt. Makes the barmaids giggle and delights in seeing if he can coax a blush out of the recruits."

Freedom like that she could understand. While she wasn't quite as cavalier about her partners as Zevran had been, she knew well the risks of getting attached to someone. Being a bard had taught her that you had to be able to flit from partner to partner, to change your attitude to accommodate your role.

She let out a sigh. That life, however, was behind her. Though she never truly forgot her lessons, she was free to pursue her own desires now.

And something about the blonde's crooked smile had her desiring him.

“Here you go, Ser.” She was drawn from her thoughts by one of the trainees.

“I’m sorry, what?” She realize that the young man was holding out a mug to her, which she reached out and took from him.

“You looked a bit flushed, so we brought some over,” he explained with a bit of a grin.

“I...oh, thank you.” She nodded to him and quickly took a couple gulps of water. At least some of them were young enough to not quite realize why else she might be blushing, but if she were going to train them properly, she was going to have to stop letting her mind wander.

Of course, the best possible way to do that would probably be to ask Elissa to keep Anders away from the yard.

You can do this, Leliana. You’re not a maiden any longer. You can focus your attention long enough to get through your lessons today.

It was just tomorrow and the days after that she was worried about.

Of course, there were plenty of other things going on that helped occupy her mind away from the mage, the biggest being a ceremony that Elissa was holding within a couple of days where the local banns would be in attendance.

“Mostly a chance for them to get together and squabble and try and impress me,” explained the Warden, “but necessary, especially given that there will be several new faces there this year.” Her friend’s tone betrayed the presence of a story there, which she drew out of her while the two of them picked through Leliana’s various garments, trying to find something suitable for her to wear to the occasion.

After wrinkling her nose several times at her mirror, she'd finally settled on a favorite dress of hers. It was a rich, sunset orange that reminded her a little of the robes that she'd worn as a laywoman in the Chantry, and though the color was similar, the cut of it certainly was not. Her shoulders were bare and the neck was just shy of modest. A smooth top gave way to a fuller skirt that began at her hips, accenting her waist rather nicely, she thought with a little smile. It reached to the floor, hiding the shoes that she chose to wear, though the toes of her slippers peeked out with each step, revealing the simple bows that adorned the tops. Not elaborate by any means, they were still comfortable and matched the dress perfectly!

The night of the gathering, she made her way down to the main hall of the keep. From the moment she was announced, she was the focus of several of the attending banns, often times all at once. Most wanted to hear her stories from the Blight and by her second glass of wine, she found herself begging off, promising her would-be audience a grand tale--once she'd finished composing it.

Now that she had time to retreat to a wall and study those gathered, she was enjoying herself more. Her eyes trailed first to Elissa and Nathaniel as they made their rounds amid the guests. She could tell simply by the way her hand rest on his arm or his on her back how much they cared for one another. A smile came to her lips, glad to see her friend happy again.

Turning back to the room, she wasn't sure how it was possible, but she found Anders first. What was even more serendipitous was that he was looking in her direction as she did. He returned her smile, brows arching slightly in question. Before another gesture invited him over, she turned away, sipping from her goblet, and willing her feet to move her away, over to the group attracted by Oghren.

Feeling a touch at her elbow, she turned to meet the mage's inquisitive gaze. "Enjoying one of Oghren's wild tales, my lady?"

She chuckled softly. "This is one I've heard many times. I fear his ending will not surprise me."

"Then, perhaps, you might like someone else to entertain you?" He held out his hand to her.

What harm could it do? It was a simple invitation. Perfectly normal at a gathering such as this one. He was simply being polite. Her being a newcomer to the arling, it would be proper to be escorted by someone whom she'd been introduced to.

Before she could reply, she saw the pinch that came to his smile, watched his fingers curl. She'd debated with herself for too long! Covering his hand with hers, she made certain her expression matched his eager tone. "I would be delighted."

Was it her imagination or had she felt him relax? Surely someone who flirted as much as he had no reason to be nervous. Especially when he was simply being polite to her. She wasn’t expecting him to charm her, though she felt a twinge of disappointment when he kept their conversation to simple things, or let those he introduced her to lead the conversation. It was probably just as well. Each time she watched him smile, she thought she might stutter. To counter this, she tried her hardest to keep her attention on their partners rather than him.

After one circuit of the room, Elissa had come over playfully scolding the mage for taking up all of her time when there were ‘important guests’ who wanted to meet another of Ferelden’s heroes. He’d simply given his Commander a grin and relinquished his hold.

“Can you blame me for wanting to keep her to myself?” he’d asked her.

So had he truly desired her company or was he simply being polite? She hadn’t been trying to read him as much as the others. Something in her wanted to be surprised at what he might do, rather than being able to predict it and either encourage or counter it.

Even after Elissa lead her away, guiding her around to speak more with the banns, she found her thoughts straying as they chatted around her. True, she could likely turn the head of any man present, the one whose attention she most sought was proving difficult. After they’d parted, Anders’ attention had gone elsewhere, though giggles usually indicated where he was in the room. While she’d both seen and heard that was simply how he was, she wasn’t certain how she felt about it. Even if he were interested in her, how sincere would he be in his affections? Was it worth trying? Or would it be safer to simply continue as they were, whatever that may be?

Unwilling to make up her mind at the moment, she allowed herself to grow lost in the revelry of the rest of the evening, sharing more wine and stories with the gathered nobles. Still, with every flirtatious comment from them or offer of another drink or stroll, she found herself begging off, eyes seeking out the one man she wished would prove himself bold yet again.

The end of the evening had her retiring to her chamber alone, although Varel was polite enough to walk her to her door in lieu of one of the guests. She’d mustered up enough courage to give Anders the opportunity, but the mage had disappeared sometime during the evening, leaving her feeling the slightest bit sorrowful that she’d perhaps missed the chance to have him do so.

Perhaps it was a sign that she wasn’t meant to pursue this course, but she couldn’t ignore the feeling that she got in her chest whenever she found herself watching him, nor could she deny the way her pulse sped whenever he flashed a smile in her direction.

“Silly lovesick girl,” she murmured to herself as she readied for bed.

Lying there in the darkness and silence, though, her mind wandered down rather pleasant imaginings, all stemmed from her brief encounter with the mage this evening. Given that she couldn’t stop smiling, she decided how she felt wasn’t silly at all.

She could only hope there was a chance he might feel the same.

OP
Copper

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Not even hours after the fealty ceremony, Anders was calling on Elissa rather early the next morning. He'd spent the evening debating this with himself and was determined to set things in motion before his mind could catch up with him and tell him what a disaster this idea would likely turn out to be.

“Is something wrong?” Obviously he needed to rouse himself sooner if that was her first reaction.

“No. No emergencies or anything of that sort. I was hoping we could maybe...talk?”

That got her to pause. “About?” She motioned toward one of the chairs.

Anders cleared his throat and took a deep breath. “Leliana.”

He had Elissa’s full attention at that, suddenly feeling as if he’d just been hauled into the First Enchanter’s office for being caught scribbling in the books again. She said nothing, though, merely taking the chair beside him and curling up in it, waiting for him to continue.

"I thought I might ask you, since you're probably the closest to family that she has here. I want...I want your permission to...to court her."

One of her brows arched and she gave him a puzzled look. "Courting? That's something I'd never though myself in a position to...grant. What brought this on, if you don't mind my asking?"

“I…I’m finding myself rather taken with her, Commander. She's all I've been thinking about, ever since you introduced us. I can't get that moment out of my mind. Her smile. Her eyes. Even the way she smelled. And I'm finding excuses to just be where she is whenever I can. But I--” Maker, he did feel like an apprentice again. “I’m not certain if I should...if I can speak with her about it. How I feel, I mean. But I'd like to try."

“You do perfectly well speaking to women, Anders, if my kitchen staff and half the barmaids in Amaranthine are to be believed.” She rewarded him with a bit of a smirk. He supposed he deserved it.

“That’s different.” He shook his head. “That’s not what I want.”

“Not what you want? What do you want, then?”

“As I said, I want to court her, but I,” he dropped his gaze. “I don’t know how. Y’see, we simply didn’t do that in the Tower. You couldn’t. Not with everyone watching. Sure, it was possible, but if you were caught, you were usually hauled into the First Enchanter’s office for a little talk.

“We weren’t...discouraged, but Maker! It was embarrassing! Getting lectured on propriety and, well, the last thing the Chantry wants is more mages, so we get that talk, too. Instead of...of...” He stopped, letting out a frustrated noise, running his hands through his hair. “I think if they didn’t treat intimacies like some sort of taboo, we wouldn’t have these problems. There, I said it.”

“You said a great deal,” Elissa quipped. “But I understand.”

“Good. Because I’m not sure I do. I want...I want to do this properly.” He sighed. “Like I saw Nathaniel do for you. But Leliana and I are different people. I’m not sure his methods would work.”

A slight blush came to her cheeks and she looked flattered. “He was a little more physical in his means of catching my attention. You and Leli don’t exactly have blades and bows in common.”

“What can I do, then?”

She pressed her fingers to her lips as she did when thinking. “Do what you do best: talk.” She smiled. “Leli loves stories. I’m sure you could start there. Then...do what feels right.”

“I’m afraid of that. What if I insult her? Or make an ass of myself?”

“Well, if you insult her, expect to find a dagger somewhere unpleasant.” Her smile assured him she wasn’t entirely joking. “And if you make yourself the fool, you’ll at least have made her laugh--and given yourselves more to talk about.”

He listened, taking in her advice and determined to follow it his own way. It wouldn’t do to try and fit it to the letter, not when he was so bad at following the rules. “I appreciate this, Elissa. I really do.”

“I appreciate you having sense enough to ask.”

He smiled. “It seemed right. Especially regarding her.”

As he got up to leave, she muttered, “Andraste's Grace, Anders."

He held up his hands. "What? I thought asking would be--"

"The scent. It's a white flower called Andraste's Grace. The scent reminds her of her mother."

"Oh," he breathed out as he took in the information, then a smile came to his lips. "Thank you, Commander. I'll remember that."