What's new

RPG RPG Maker [Devil's Office] SHRIFT 2 (RJ318368)

Troy168

Reputation score
Okay. It looks like I came across some interesting things.

First off, when you lose to a yokai, you will receive four options. It goes as follows.

1) You can move forward with the story and wait until you are strong enough to face that yokai again. (The exception is the tutorial and Kage-Onna.)

2) You can refight the yokai with a lower soul level while facing a much tougher yokai in the progress.

3) You can let the yokai drain you five-time, thus increasing the yokai's level even more.

4) You can let the yokai drain all of your levels, thus leaving you at LVL 1 and giving you three options of seeing the bad end for said yokai that beat you, returning to the title or continuing forward while being LVL 1.

Another thing to note is that for every soul LVL you got drained out of you, the more SP that you can receive. So there could be a risk/reward for letting the yokai drain you of your soul LVL.

Last thing, I have found that op music online. Take a listen if you got time.

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
Okay. It looks like I came across some interesting things.

First off, when you lose to a yokai, you will receive four options. It goes as follows.

1) You can move forward with the story and wait until you are strong enough to face that yokai again. (The exception is the tutorial and Kage-Onna.)

2) You can refight the yokai with a lower soul level while facing a much tougher yokai in the progress.

3) You can let the yokai drain you five-time, thus increasing the yokai's level even more.

4) You can let the yokai drain all of your levels, thus leaving you at LVL 1 and giving you three options of seeing the bad end for said yokai that beat you, returning to the title or continuing forward while being LVL 1.

Another thing to note is that for every soul LVL you got drained out of you, the more SP that you can receive. So there could be a risk/reward for letting the yokai drain you of your soul LVL.

Last thing, I have found that op music online. Take a listen if you got time.

That stuff's pretty obvious if you play the game MTL'd though?

Also this game's mad easy. The only part that makes the game difficult is whether or not you use the gym or not. Like that's it.
Drink a protein shake, get your metabolism up. You regen 129 faith per turn and around 30 energy. You will always have enough energy to take defensive actions like evading. High faith increases base damage, so you should hit like a truck.

In comparison to SHRIFT 1, Barghest could just straight up use tackle w/o any preemptive signals meaning you could be in a dangerous spot based on previous actions and the barghest's mood.
Energy regeneration is gated by the HELL BREAK spell which was a final ability. HELL BREAK regened a lot, and had other stuff, but the regen is what made it strong. Even tiny regen is kinda ludicrous in combat balance design.

SHRIFT 2 literally tells you when you should dodge or block.

Madflavor

Reputation score
Truth be told, after playing Shrift I when each Part was new, I'm actually kinda glad Shrift II is taking a more relaxed approach with it's difficulty (so far). That doesn't mean there won't be challenging fights in the future, but I think given the nature of the battle and leveling system this time around, along with how the game takes a non linear approach to progression, it's probably going to be easier overall.

I think I feel this way because while I loved Shrift I, some of the fights weren't enjoyable during post nut clarity when you were genuinely trying to win the fight and progress the story. I mean sure if I go back and play through Shrift again I'd have an easier time because I know how all the fights work, but back when the game was new, some of the fights were hell.

Troy168

Reputation score
There's a new Ci-en post about the bug fix issue.

Kernog

Reputation score
Truth be told, after playing Shrift I when each Part was new, I'm actually kinda glad Shrift II is taking a more relaxed approach with it's difficulty (so far). That doesn't mean there won't be challenging fights in the future, but I think given the nature of the battle and leveling system this time around, along with how the game takes a non linear approach to progression, it's probably going to be easier overall.

I think I feel this way because while I loved Shrift I, some of the fights weren't enjoyable during post nut clarity when you were genuinely trying to win the fight and progress the story. I mean sure if I go back and play through Shrift again I'd have an easier time because I know how all the fights work, but back when the game was new, some of the fights were hell.
It's the eternal debate of fun through challenge vs fun through experiment. Should your h-game be challenging up front, at the risk of frustating the player? Or should it let the player choose when he wants to fail, at the cost of boring him?
As a reminder, Shrift was really easy, with the exception of one fight, if you were killing every demon on sight and leveled up. This was an Undertale-inspired game, not a classic J-RPG.

I would say that the story and the number of monsters encountered will probably do a lot about how enjoyable the game will be. I wonder if/hope that the soul drain mechanic will have an utility in the story, other than unlocking other animations or altering the difficulty. This way, it could present itself as an interesting alternative to pacifist/genocide:
* Stay pure and powerful by exorcising demons and keeping those with whom you contract on a tight leash, making the game a cakewalk but locking you in the worst or the least interesting endings
* Build up your demon and your relationship with them by allowing them to drain you, making the game harder but allowing you to access the best or the true ending

barthalamuke

Reputation score
Does anyone else find that the game is incredibly laggy during the temptation battles?

It might just be because the device i'm running it on is quite old and not able to handle running it, but it was able to run Shrift 1 without issue so i'm not certain.

OP
E

ex12345

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Interesting side-development; the creator of Monsters & Girls said that at least one of the girls from Shrift will be appearing in his upcoming game, and that at the very least his MC will show up in Shrift 2 at some point:

I know that this basically already happened with SHRIFT's DLC, but nice to see more colabs.

Madflavor

Reputation score
Does anyone else find that the game is incredibly laggy during the temptation battles?

It might just be because the device i'm running it on is quite old and not able to handle running it, but it was able to run Shrift 1 without issue so i'm not certain.
Based on what I was seeing with the machine translation, there looks to be a menu where you can disable certain effects during battle to help the game run better.

Troy168

Reputation score
Preview images have now appeared on both Devil's office Pixiv and Pixivfanbox. For those that are curious, here are a couple of links.

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
* Stay pure and powerful by exorcising demons and keeping those with whom you contract on a tight leash, making the game a cakewalk but locking you in the worst or the least interesting endings
* Build up your demon and your relationship with them by allowing them to drain you, making the game harder but allowing you to access the best or the true ending
Actually this is how you get SP to get access to more skills.
Levels don't matter that much in this game. What matters are your stats, and skills.

The best way to get stronger right now FOR SURE, is to get fucked into a mess and get hundreds of SP only to grind back up to level 25 or more in a single dungeon dive.

Also... weirdly enough the girls join you regardless of whether you let them fuck you or not.
__
The fact that Richard doesn't get a good ending is sad, but right now it doesn't make much sense. Systems like the gym, and the crazy percentage scaling on abilities make me think it should be impossible for him to lose.

Even crazy status effect stuff shouldn't really be a problem for this game. Cool Calm's efficacy is guaranteed in this game, and you don't need adrenaline ampules to clear ecstasy, there's a skill for that. If you protein shake the metabolism training you get a free hell break.

The game specifically tells you when to dodge or block too... Maybe my imagination's weak? I can't see the game being even a little difficult.

Barghest in SHRIFT 1 had a tackle attack that she would just use at random w/o any preperation and would get you close to being fucked. In SHRIFT 2, those types of attacks are telegraphed.

J300mer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I don't think the release is going to be anything like this, to be honest. It seems like all the buildings were thrown together at once-- which was weird considering how much of the map the game will reveal in later chapters.
I imagine it's most likely a "Tutorial" chapter, with the rest stripping you entirely and working from the ground up. I doubt the dev will keep the game that easy to the point it's just an easy grindfest. If the rest of the game is in the same format, there isn't really a "Difficulty" at all to the game-- just a pokemon-esque "Level early, win fast" type of gallery game.
Always loved games that strip you of everything at some point-- it puts enemy's powers to a whole new meaning.

Madflavor

Reputation score
I feel like we won't get a real feel for this game's difficulty until Part 1 is out. But it's a fair point people are making. Due to the nature of how you grow stronger in the game, it seems like you can get to a certain level of power that trivializes future fights. For example, what's to stop us from grinding our status to ridiculous levels during Part 1, so that a year later when Part 2 is out where far stronger than the enemies? But on the other hand, I'm really not worried about this. The dev has a history of doing a lot of cryptic and creativity things with the difficulty with Shrift 1. I'm sure he's aware of the issue I mentioned. Perhaps in Part 2 we get nerfed.

I think it's also worth mentioning that while we have a system in place to increase our stats quite a bit, we don't know what kinds of crazy conditions future enemy fights can inflict on us, or if there are going to be fights that require more of a "know the enemy pattern and how to respond" approach in order to win.

Flower_Cat

Reputation score
So what all is in the DLSite Demo at this point? Just the Three girls and that one plant?

Last edited:

Icoro

Lurker
Reputation score
I can't start the demo. I get "Failed to load". Does anyone else have this problem?

FloofyIsGood

Reputation score
I can't start the demo. I get "Failed to load". Does anyone else have this problem?
Make sure you extracted all the files in the proper locale. For WinRar use Shift-JIS (932) decoding, or switch your PC into Jap locale

Icoro

Lurker
Reputation score
That did it. I don't know why this version works but the previous one didn't.

Holy hell, so much was animated. I don't even want to know how much work went into it.