What's new

RPG RPG Maker [Devil's Office] SHRIFT 2 (RJ318368)

Kernog

Reputation score
I think there are all kinds of tastes among people, and it is natural that, when you take the average, it tends to lean towards the vanilla. I wrote a handful (furry) short stories, and guess what: the most popular ones are the ones with the least craziness in them. So I think the dev is stuck between the hammer and the anvil, regarding to the content.

What made me like Shrift a lot, and why I am arguing the way I do, was that it was a great mix between the different styles, which made that everyone could have a favourite. You have everything, from your literal animal-girl to the 90% human puppet-girl, and I think that it's great. Because I am satisfied, you are satisfied, and TheUnsaid is satisfied, instead of one or two of us making a frowny face. That, plus the battle system and the Undertale-style mechanic.
Also, the art style has a great identity, even if it can be improved (and seems to be improved in that second game).

The art and the animation of Dieselmine games are great, but there is much less variety in the character designs (that, and the massive boobs). I never play them more than once, compared to Shrift which I come back to several times, even just for replaying the scenes and specific fights. Toro Toro Resistance publish great things, but the quality and the type of content often depends on the artist. That, and they always use shotas as male character. Give me manly or not-gonk chubby men, dammit!

That being said, there aren't many MG's this game. I wonder if the dev is getting tired. Hope people on this forum didn't cause him to self-isolate after what they did to him. Dude is a nice guy.
Heh. I am not sure if we are that important, especially considering the often rocky relationship between japanese h-game developers and western players. I can't speak for the developer, but if I was the one working on this kind of games, I would be looking at the sales numbers if it is sold, or the download numbers if it is a free game. Interacting with a forum like ours is okay for PR and getting some feedback, but I would not focus too much on it.

Last edited:

J300mer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Eh, I'd try to keep good relations with overseas sellers if possible. Having a good reputation as a person can get you some insane profit if you keep your nose clean.

Reputation score

At least that is what I gathered via Google Translate. Can someone who can speak Japanese verify?

Edit: Copying and pasting from their twitter: "Depending on the progress of debugging, there is also a Dlsite review, so I think we can release a trial version around the middle of next week."

Sscdrake

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I think there are all kinds of tastes among people, and it is natural that, when you take the average, it tends to lean towards the vanilla. I wrote a handful (furry) short stories, and guess what: the most popular ones are the ones with the least craziness in them. So I think the dev is stuck between the hammer and the anvil, regarding to the content.

What made me like Shrift a lot, and why I am arguing the way I do, was that it was a great mix between the different styles, which made that everyone could have a favourite. You have everything, from your literal animal-girl to the 90% human puppet-girl, and I think that it's great. Because I am satisfied, you are satisfied, and TheUnsaid is satisfied, instead of one or two of us making a frowny face. That, plus the battle system and the Undertale-style mechanic.
Also, the art style has a great identity, even if it can be improved (and seems to be improved in that second game).

The art and the animation of Dieselmine games are great, but there is much less variety in the character designs (that, and the massive boobs). I never play them more than once, compared to Shrift which I come back to several times, even just for replaying the scenes and specific fights. Toro Toro Resistance publish great things, but the quality and the type of content often depends on the artist. That, and they always use shotas as male character. Give me manly or not-gonk chubby men, dammit!

Heh. I am not sure if we are that important, especially considering the often rocky relationship between japanese h-game developers and western players. I can't speak for the developer, but if I was the one working on this kind of games, I would be looking at the sales numbers if it is sold, or the download numbers if it is a free game. Interacting with a forum like ours is okay for PR and getting some feedback, but I would not focus too much on it.
I actually really, really liked Shrift a ton too, not paricuarily because I'm into furry, but just because I enjoy obscure content and am a fantasy fantatic. Thus, most things people consider furry I simply consider an expansion of fantasy tropes, so a werewolf/wolf-anthro or centaur isn't much different to me than an elf or orc which are far more human-like. So, I'm not specifically drawn to furry content, just that my tastes sometimes lead me to furry content, not that the split hairs matter much -- I enjoy it anyway.

That said, I think Shrift excels exactly because it's both a pretty darn good "horror" take on monster girls, but also has some interesting stories behind each, as well as a pretty wide variety of content behind them. The art is also pretty good and the game, though frustrating, can be fun once you understand it.

I'm super stoked for 2 because I hope the developer will double-down on the style of the game and springboard from his success to include more monsters and cooler locales. The EX stuff was pretty great already.

Unfortunately, sales sometimes don't really relate to the personal delfation artists/creators feel from critcism. This has been proven and shone countless times in various mediums, from novelists, to mod makers and youtubers. A lot of them just take the money and leave the scene specifically because of all the drama, hatred, or lack of grattitude for what they see as (and usually is) hard work, even if they're currently successful.

So just making a lot of money doesn't mean the creator won't eventually crumble under the weight. If anything, more success means they're more likely to be bombarded by mentally unhealthy interactions. Many super succcessful Youtubers, for instance, cite that same kind of mental exhaustion for why they stopped or why they're glad they're no longer popular.

Last edited:

Fossil

Lurker
Reputation score

Demo's up. Haven't tried it yet, I'm pretty sure it just came out. Also estimated release date is now listed as September.

Madflavor

Reputation score

Demo's up. Haven't tried it yet, I'm pretty sure it just came out. Also estimated release date is now listed as September.
Yeah I'll be playing it late tonight.

So what's the deal with this one. Is he releasing SHRIFT II in Parts like he did with SHRIFT? Just wondering if the September release date is for Part 1 or the actual full game.

Hazunya

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The Demo is quite amazing, you can see the huge leap in quality.

They plan to release this in parts, like SHRIFT. September release is Part 1 with Part 2 + 3 coming next year (I'm not sure if its 2023 then 2024 for Part 2 and 3).

barthalamuke

Reputation score
Does anyone know how to progress after beating the first ghost girl.

After I beat her and I return back to the room, my character moves to the right and than nothing happens. I can't move or interact with anything. Not sure if my game is glitched or i'm missing something obvious.

Madflavor

Reputation score
The Demo is quite amazing, you can see the huge leap in quality.

They plan to release this in parts, like SHRIFT. September release is Part 1 with Part 2 + 3 coming next year (I'm not sure if its 2023 then 2024 for Part 2 and 3).
Thanks! I'm about to finally play! So excited!

Captainstarfish

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Yeah, the demo is pretty good so far. It helps that the soundtrack is on-point with a lot of the scenes as well. High hopes for this.

Reyray

Reputation score
Just played a few minutes through the demo. Instantly, you can appreciate the quality and work put into this game. Well done animations, and as others said the soundtrack is amazing.

Madflavor

Reputation score
I think I finished the trial. It seems to end when you get passed the 2nd dungeon in the cemetery and come out to an opening with a large tree. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to go after that. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway my thoughts? If the quality I experienced in the trial continues, this game is going to be an absolute banger. It's what a good sequel should be. Improve on what made the first game great, but also offer a different experience. That's what this game does. The developer has really honed his craft these past few years. The artstyle has drastically improved, the combat system is fun, and I love the non linearity of it. I'm looking forward to discussing this game once more and more fans catch on that the trial is out.

Is there a way to refight the 3 devil girls, cause for now it seems the only way to do that is to load previous saves before you encountered them. Basically is there a Memory House or something?

OP
E

ex12345

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I think I finished the trial. It seems to end when you get passed the 2nd dungeon in the cemetery and come out to an opening with a large tree. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to go after that. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway my thoughts? If the quality I experienced in the trial continues, this game is going to be an absolute banger. It's what a good sequel should be. Improve on what made the first game great, but also offer a different experience. That's what this game does. The developer has really honed his craft these past few years. The artstyle has drastically improved, the combat system is fun, and I love the non linearity of it. I'm looking forward to discussing this game once more and more fans catch on that the trial is out.

Is there a way to refight the 3 devil girls, cause for now it seems the only way to do that is to load previous saves before you encountered them. Basically is there a Memory House or something?
You can go to the place where wierd dude with the crystal ball on his counter is, 4th option from the bottom. He'll give you a cutscene that apparently unlocks the skill tree (may need to be night, not sure), then back to the church for one last cutscene, where the credits roll. The game can continue after that, so not sure what else the game has to offer yet.

There's also a plant in the last floor of the second catacomb with a scene. It's the only red flame in the game, at the north end of the long, north-south hallway. Losing to it and picking the second option will also allow you to re-fight the cat for some reason.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Reputation score
Ok there is a memory. A new quest is available once you beat the trial, and it brings you to a hotel.

TheMysteryEvader

Reputation score
Are the developers aware the longer they delay this, the longer it takes for their English speaking audience to get a translation? They should give translators earlier access at least since they didn't even pay them for their work on the first game.

EDIT: Can you remove corruption in this one, or alternatively wipe the data that stores corruption?

Last edited:

aczymwe123

Reputation score
i'm trying to boot up the demo but i get a error, iam using a locale emulator, anybody knows what this is or more importantly, how to fix it?

nvm it works now, but i have to admit trying to play an RPG without understanding what is acutally happening is slightly difficult

Attachments

aczymwe123

Reputation score
if anyone could do a working machine translation and i small guide on how to apply it I would greatly appreciate it

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
AdventCirno's Mtool for machine translation.

Troy168

Reputation score
Man. This OP called [I AM by Senwo] is quite catchy as hell. I wonder if someone would be able to put in the lyrics for the OP.

BueJoe

Reputation score
s2.jpg

I ran into this bug further down into the dungeon. Anyone else encounter this or know how to fix? Completely freezes the game, I also don't even have Chrome installed on my pc