Games Discussion Thread

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Hey it's my hands down favorite franchise that I'm afraid they'll ruin! Awesome news!

Who doesn't love a good retcon?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

best retcon ever: erfworld, when they retconed the sphere of magic that was deletionism into retconjuration.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So, I've already brought Dead Rising 2: Case Zero up in how it made me feel giddy. Here's how it didn't:

The psychopath bosses- These little (ok, big) fuckers make a return. Now the one in the demo wasn't TOO bad (thanks to some IEDs and Shotguns) but he was still a bitch. This is mostly due to the game being designed for the player to run around and kill zombies, and throwing humans into the mix out of nowhere is annoying. If you enjoyed the psychopaths, well then you'll be happy with their return in force.

Controls - Alright, they're not horrible, hell they're not even bad. But they're not the best. Only a few little ticks here and there. Like the X button being used to shoot your gun. It's not bad when your not in aim mode, but once there its a little weird to be moving your analogue stick and pressing that button at the same time. I would have preferred the trigger for shooting. (As it is the right trigger isn't used for anything that I can tell). Still, tis not bad and didn't bug me too much to be honest.

Hit Detection - There were a couple times when I'd swing my weapon and I basically had to be humping the zombie's leg like a little purse dog in order to hit it. With a baseball bat, that's just kind of annoying. This didn't happen too often though. Certain weapons however also kind of fall under this in that I wish they had a broad swing arc, instead of the overhead crash they use. Yes it kills something in one hit, but broad swinging weapons are apparently hard to find and when yer getting swarmed, simply smashing the one directly in front of you isn't helping much.

Time - love or hate, it's back. A set amount of time to do the tasks you need to do. I don't know how much you'll get between things in the game proper, but here in the demo, you've got to do so damn much in so little time. I like exploring a little, and in this your forced to at the end. I mean really explore. But they give you so little time to do it.

However, the game still did plenty of things I like. The removal of the photography I kind of like. Sure I enjoyed having a nice album in the first game, but replacing that with combining weapons to make bad ass shit is more enjoyable. Oh, and the moose head. I had a riot with that thing.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

The game has me interested but when I look at the price on Steam... I don't think I've ever seen an indie game that was so expensive.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Whereas I looked at the price and went "Wow, that's really cheap for an RPG."

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Seems to me like they sped up the progression of time in Case Zero. Probably not, but I don't ever really remember complaining about it in the first Dead Rising. Whereas in this one, I look at the game's clock and notice 4 hours have gone by, and I'm like, "Daaamn!"

I actually thought I could fuck around a little, like I often did in the first one, but it seems like they expect you to be a busy bee this time around, which I can't say I really like.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, I'm now quite a bit far along in Other M. So here's my take on aspects of the game.

1. Story: IT SUCKS. LIKE SO BAD. They turned Samus from Ellen Ripley to Bella from the Twilight series. Almost every aspect of the main plot feels very out there and very contrived. The saving grace is how a few aspects tie into the unanswered questions from Fusion (Who is Adam exactly, how did Samus know him, ect.) and the series in general. (What did Samus do before her bounty hunting days, what did she think of the infant Metroid saving her life in Super Metroid.)

2. Music: It's alright. But aside from a boss theme or two, it's not at all up to Metroid standards.

3. Gameplay: It handles alright, although switching between third and first person feels a bit more forced and wonky than it should. Sometimes things like the missile lock-on really goes spastic if you're fighting a fast enemy, and not in an intentional way.

4. Bosses: Every boss battle is pretty awesome. They can be a bit brutal with the difficulty at times, even once you get their pattern down. However, it's cool to see the origins of Samus' greatest nemesis, along with a cameo boss battle of a very nightmarish boss from Fusion.

5. Voice acting: Not that great, honestly. Samus sounds like she's half asleep in about every cutscene, and the other characters sound generic or stale.

Overall score: 6.5 out of 10.

I recommend it more for Metroid enthusiasts and hardcore Metroid fans. However the hardcore fans like myself will be left with a :/ expression for quite a few things, methinks.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Seems to me like they sped up the progression of time in Case Zero. Probably not, but I don't ever really remember complaining about it in the first Dead Rising. Whereas in this one, I look at the game's clock and notice 4 hours have gone by, and I'm like, "Daaamn!"

I actually thought I could fuck around a little, like I often did in the first one, but it seems like they expect you to be a busy bee this time around, which I can't say I really like.
I'm hoping that faster time progression is just for Case Zero and not the full game. I mean the full game will have the same 72 hours, but to actually make the game shorter by making those hours go by faster? That's no fun.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Just to test whether or not I was right, turns out I was wrong. I remembered that a minute in the first Dead Rising passed every 5 seconds. I counted, and it seems to be the same for this one too. I guess my suspicion arose because Case Zero's 12 hours(1 hour real time) was cram packed with things to do, so the moments you had to just run around while time dwindles away were small.

Also, Dick(the guy who owns the pawn shop) always makes me have flashbacks of the store owner from the first Dead Rising. "Thanks for helping me out back there, welcome to MY STOOORRRE!!!"

Last edited:

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Angry Joe is very angry with .

4 hours? FOUR HOURS?!?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Angry Joe is very angry with .

4 hours? FOUR HOURS?!?
He has his own website now. angryjoeshow.com
He loved Case Zero, and even yelled at Kane and Lynch 2 some more. Listening to him though, I really know not to pick up the game, and it was confirmed after playing the demo. I didn't like the first one very much either so, oh well, no loss.

Just to test whether or not I was right, turns out I was wrong. I remembered that a minute in the first Dead Rising passed every 5 seconds. I counted, and it seems to be the same for this one too. I guess my suspicion arose because Case Zero's 12 hours(1 hour real time) was cram packed with things to do, so the moments you had to just run around while time dwindles away were small.

Also, Dick(the guy who owns the pawn shop) always makes me have flashbacks of the store owner from the first Dead Rising. "Thanks for helping me out back there, welcome to MY STOOORRRE!!!"
Good to know on the time thing.

And yeah, I so wanted to crawl through that cage and beat that mother fucker in with his own spine. Bastard.

However, I'd also like to correct a mistake I made earlier. When aiming you can move in Dead Rising 2, but only with fire arms. This makes the shotgun, pistol and assault rifle I had access to much more enjoyable. I was even able to use the right trigger. Awesome.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

He has his own website now. angryjoeshow.com
Yep, he's had it for a while now. It's just easier for me to look on TGWTG for updates, since I look at AJ, NC, Spoony, Todd, Lordkat, as well as others that are all on that site.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Anyone heard of a game called 'Recettear'? I've seen some stuff about it on /v/ and heard it was coming on Steam either 10th September or 14th September. Apparently you own a shop and you've got to sell items or some shit. Probably a lot more to it than that, I just want to know if anyone else has heard of it and if so does it look like a good game?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Anyone heard of a game called 'Recettear'? I've seen some stuff about it on /v/ and heard it was coming on Steam either 10th September or 14th September. Apparently you own a shop and you've got to sell items or some shit. Probably a lot more to it than that, I just want to know if anyone else has heard of it and if so does it look like a good game?
Incubus has.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Gentlemen, prepare your Pig Launchers, because you gotta get them to fly somehow.

And while we're at it, here's a trailer for .

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Just played the demo off of Steam. Seems kind of cool. Has a pretty fun little style of economics with dungeon crawler aspect. (Buy and sell items for profit; go into dungeons and get items to sell for pure profit)

Just as a note, you can buy the game off of Steam for $17.99 ($2.00 off the release price of $19.99) via preorder right now.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Gentlemen, prepare your Pig Launchers, because you gotta get them to fly somehow.

Wait.

Waitwaitwait. Seriously? No. Nonononono. This has to be a hoax. WAIT, I KNOW WHO TO ASK. *rushes off*

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

nope turns out a different company is making it and will be scheduled for release next year.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I swear to < insert deity of worship here >, if they drop the ball on this, I will rip off their necks and shit down their throats, then teabag them with my gigantic BALLS OF STEEL. And then I will steal their bubble gum.