Games Discussion Thread

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Just finished Agents of Mayhem. What a frustratingly mediocre game. I really expected better from the team that made Saints Row 4. Dialogue isn't funny enough, the parody aspect isn't apparent enough, voice acting isn't good enough, the city isn't big enough... Just - not enough. If you want to run havoc in an open world, play Saints Row 3 or 4 again instead.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Just finished Agents of Mayhem. What a frustratingly mediocre game. I really expected better from the team that made Saints Row 4. Dialogue isn't funny enough, the parody aspect isn't apparent enough, voice acting isn't good enough, the city isn't big enough... Just - not enough. If you want to run havoc in an open world, play Saints Row 3 or 4 again instead.
Seems to be the general reaction. Not a bad game, but everyone expected more.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Well it's a good compilation of game censorship in 2017.
Some of those changes are small shit, but it boils my blood when someone decides for me what is good for my eyes and what isn't.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
That was less than I expected
Mostly the usual "Germany bans all nazi references", "US bans all sorts of nudity and demands redesigns for puritanical standards" and "Violence toned down"

It's pretty shit still though

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Tell me how this sounds:

Imagine Trouble in Terrorist town

>40 players per match
>around 8 unique roles, each one with their own objective
>some have inventory, others (like the dispatcher) play from a GUI while issuing directions to other players
>fully interactive environment
>physics
>gameplay involves fire, players can set the fire alarm
>a functional elevator with 26 floors and simulated wait time
>body located damage (leg, foot, arm, hand, shoulder, lower torso, hip, head, neck, upper torso)
>you can get incapacitated instead of simply killed, and other players can save you
>shooting someone's leg makes them look injured and walk slower
>fire intoxication mechanic
>some players can help others evacuate
>NPCS to simulate students, which will interact to players that reveal weapons regardless of these being the school shooter or the law enforcement
>able to carry incapacitated people
>AK-47, 9mm and Pipe Bomb for suspect
>M16, Shotgun and 9mm for law enforcement
>vehicles ranging from ambulances to police cars to fire trucks
>the doctors have a bunch of mechanics and mingames that simulate triage and medical assistance they need to go through to save other players, including diagnosing the problem
>firefighters also have their own mechanics and minigames regarding firefighting, all meant to simulate a real life scenario
>fully functional water hose
>a "KNOX BOX" which the both sides can use to control the building's automatic systems and doors for strategic value
>law enforcement has a dispatcher to assign other players instructions
>there is a civilian role for you to fuck around and just watch the spectacle
>you can barricade doors and make defenses

More features than some AAA games
And made entirely with government money

But, it's not available yet. GOTY 2018?

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
I think most law enforcement has switch over to 45 caliber rounds by now.

Other than that, I got a red orchestra feeling when reading so that sounds awesome.

Downside is, I wouldn't want to fuck around playing as anything but the shooty classes. And lord knows it's going to be random class assignment or everyone's going to have a gun.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
It may also never become available to civilians because it's government stuff. Instead of the expected leaks+Maybe LAN fuckery or something, they're using a central server and you need a government account+Password

Maybe someone will leak it and modify or something, but it just shows that AAA games aren't really putting in effort if gov can shit this out for training purposes

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
(...) but it just shows that AAA games aren't really putting in effort (...)
Welcome to the club, few years late or not, it's still good that you are here now.
Seriously though, AAA should be changed to CSS - Corporate Shit Show.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
I finally got around to more reviews. Blame FFXIV

The Trail: Frontier Challenge
It's pretty neat, but it's clearly a budget title that didn't get a whole lot more attention than was absolutely necessary

The Trail: Frontier Challenge is literally a walking simulator- But this does not need to be bad. In fact, the walking combined with the physics-based inventory management that has your items almost bouncing around in your backpack is a good match, both relaxing enough to casually wander and with enough to think about that you won't be bored all the way.

However, it does come with flaws. There are a lot of bugs- Some of which gamebreaking, and the balance goes completely out the window after playing a few hours, after which it doesn't get any better. It has a few systems that look like they had great plans, and then only did the bare minimum to get it working, with the latter part of the game becoming near impossible to anyone who hasn't planned that far ahead, or consistently gets incredibly lucky.
For the first few hours, it is well worth it. An interesting game that is perhaps a bit too easy, but it gets noticeably harder once all the mechanics are introduced. After that there is a large part of the game that will be slow- A lot of walking, with a lot of interesting terrain. And a multiplayer section that is essentially mandatory while also being nearly impossible to use.
Finally, the last part of the game is teleporting around campsites hoping the npcs trade the one piece of gear or ingredient you need to progress, spending hours of prepwork to get the right outfit with the right resistances so that you can make a quick sprint from one campsite to the next, followed by more time gathering what you need to survive the next stretch. Ideally, and what it looks like the plan was all along, you would be working together with other players to make this gear and complete item gathering challenges, and then together you'll make it to the end of the trial with a nice build-up village.

In practice, out of the 5 players that will be randomly matched in a town, expect 2-3 to go offline and never log on, one of them to not know English, and one of them to be you- You will be essentially performing group tasks on your own, and unless you chose to be a tailor you will spend hours just teleporting around to find the clothing you need to not immediately pass out. And as extra, you will need to spend a lot of time and effort to be able to move to a town where the players might be active and talking, making it difficult to play with friends despite the design clearly calling for a group of people who are motivated, talk to eachother often and coordinate their needs and abilities together.

In the end, The Trail: Frontier Challenge is an interesting title. It has a good start, a strong middle section, and then it falls flat when the bugs and questionable design points build up and overwhelm the positives. It is certainly worth getting if it goes on sale, but be warned, it will take effort and motivation to get to the end of the trail, and a great deal more if you end up having to do so alone.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score
I think most law enforcement has switch over to 45 caliber rounds by now.

Other than that, I got a red orchestra feeling when reading so that sounds awesome.

Downside is, I wouldn't want to fuck around playing as anything but the shooty classes. And lord knows it's going to be random class assignment or everyone's going to have a gun.
I doubt it will be randomly assigned. It won't be educational at all if some of the roles aren't played by real life professionals (aka police, fireman, criminologist, etc.). The simulation's meant to help you prepare for a school shooting. There are plenty of other games out there if you just want to mess around.

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Into the Breach, by Subset Games, the same guys behind FTL, has just been released. It's a fairly good strategy game. It's kind of like "Pacific Rim: The Strategy Game" with you commanding 3 mechs with different weapons and different pilots with different abilities, fighting giant bugs with different attacks. And it's only $15.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
More reviews
Old by now, but reviewing it anyway
Also it's shit. It's a game of 'fight the interface while trying to do things', except instead of it just being an accident, the interface is intentionally shit as the game's main difficulty

Bomber Crew

Bomber Crew is a cute, arcade-y game about trying to manage a bomber and its crew as they complete missions. It looks nice, and has a few nice ideas, but at first I just couldn't figure out why I disliked it. So I kept playing, and playing some more until it became obvious- The difficulty feels forced in almost every way and the enjoyable parts of the game do not actually do that much.

You get to manage your crew and give them their own gear with a lot of different options, and manage your bomber's components using a moderately expansive system to customize several modules, individual engines, and hull sections. The damage model is quite good, with multiple subsystems that can be damaged as well as your armoured sections taking more hits before the holes begin to show. It has a promising implication of being able to bail out, survival chances after a crash and makes it seem like every choice you can make will matter at some point, and the feeling that you can really plan and customize your bomber.

But that is where the good ends, as you end up flying as a single bomber against large amounts of germans, completing missions on your own while the only real challenge is whether or not you can fight the interface well enough to make your crew actually do their jobs. Casualties and crashing your bomber hurts the first time, but you'll quickly learn it's not really your fault if things go poorly. The interface is designed to actively slow you down while the game seems to be made in such a way that it will make you do everything at once, with difficulty mostly coming from the simple fact that you're not given enough time to do everything you need to do thanks to an arbitrary 2-6 second wait every time you want your crew to do anything.

They will happily sit there and watch the bullets come in as the bomber gets shot, refusing to shoot back until you personally point at the fighters one at a time for about 2 seconds each. They will sit on an empty gun until you personally tell them to reload, they'll do nothing as far as navigation goes and they won't wipe their butt after using the toilet unless you tell them to do so. Along with this, I realized that if the crew actually did their job, the interface actually allowed me to do things at a reasonable speed or there were friendly aircraft in the sky with you, there would just be no difficulty.
The fact that every single option of note is locked until you've played for hours is just an extra, and you will have to re-do the same set of 2-3 missions again and again until you unlock necessary upgrades is just a small thing compared to the bigger problems.
There is no story either, and the campaign is just a string of random missions with an occasional bigger mission in it.

And so my conclusion,
Bomber Crew is a nice idea and looks nice. It has a few good ideas on managing the bomber, crew loadouts, and dealing with incoming damage. But in the end none of your own skill in managing things or reflexes matters. It is designed to overload you with things to do while actively fighting your ability to do any of them. This essentially just leads to frustration as you are not playing the game, you're fighting the interface and poor design choices.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Played Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet. Not worth what they're charging, story is not done well, gameplay is actually fun for the most part but there's not enough game. Like it was 50% done and they rushed it out and are now finishing the 50% with DLC.

luciusma

Reputation score
I like to play online browser games. My favorite one is Leage of Angels 2. League of Angels 2 (LoA2) is a browser-based, free-to-play MMORPG that captures all the beauty and elegance of its predecessor with updated graphics and gameplay. To play this game I use app because this game is blocked in my country.

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Good job making a post that actually contains a full thought. You're still not doing it right though, you've told us nothing important about the actual game, like story, mechanics, or balance.

Maybe you're not a dick just trying to get your postcount up to post links so you can hawk your wares here, but I've decided that if you can't manage to get it right, you're going to be my new special friend. What this means is, that if and when you post a thread for a game that you're 'working' on (trying to sell) I'm going to show up in the thread and harass you.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Good job making a post that actually contains a full thought. You're still not doing it right though, you've told us nothing important about the actual game, like story, mechanics, or balance.

Maybe you're not a dick just trying to get your postcount up to post links so you can hawk your wares here, but I've decided that if you can't manage to get it right, you're going to be my new special friend. What this means is, that if and when you post a thread for a game that you're 'working' on (trying to sell) I'm going to show up in the thread and harass you.
The link requirement is back finally? Been a while since had that safeguard...

@topic, played Regions of Ruin, it's a fairly interesting dwarf rpg game set as a 2D side scroller. Has basic city building elements, and hireable followers, as well as a post-dwarfpocalpyse story and goal. It's also pretty cheap on steam.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
No clue, but he's pissing me off by spamming a bunch of threads with canned answers. If it isn't then damn, that's actually even worse!

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
FarmVille 2 is great in gameplay features and graphics, when compared to the first one. You should totally play it too, but please don't forget to first.
I also sell passports. Indian passports. 100% real looking.

Okay now, I'm replaying "Dark Souls: Prepare to Die" with the "Prepare to Die Again"-mod, which basically shuffles items, chests, monster and encounters while also adding new ones. Even bossfights have potential to be different. It's still the same world, but you get that feeling again that you had during your first playthrough: There could be anything behind the next corner! Oh, and bonfires have been relocated as well for like 2/3 of the game.

I'm also flirting with "Piratez!" (yarrr!), which is a full conversion mod for the old X-COM games. Basically, Earth lost the fight against the aliens, and 600 years have passed. Now, the planet is in the hand of three major factions, with a bunch of minor ones spread all over the globe. All with their own units/monsters, strengths, tactics and weapons and armor. Meanwhile, the player leads a group of an all-female top-genetic human-mutant crew and basically intercepts ships for plunder and getting protection money from the factions, while also relearning all the lost technology from the past. You start with primitive weaponry like cutlasses and muskets for weapons, but gradually you research plunder find new and better equipment.
For now I'm watching a Let's Play, because I already gave it a shot once, but I was crushed by its difficulty right from the start. I'm fighting armored guards with assault rifles, while my pirate gal wields a blunderbuss. Do the math. :D

Last edited:

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score
Anyone play ? It's an action mmo rpg, that's very pvp heavy. Once a character is level 50 (you can choose to remain level 49, because there's a quest involve to be level 50) they can be attacked by other level 50's or above.

The game has more than 10 playable classes and you can customize the way they look. You get your character's second power which is called awakening at level 56. The game's combat is great but it's very grindy, due to the fact there's a few ways to make money which is to kill mobs for trash loot that you sell for silver or you life skill.

Life skilling involves farming, fishing, horse training, cooking, processing or gathering. There's more to it than that, but that's the surface of it. The game is playable with controller.

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
Anyone play ? It's an action mmo rpg, that's very pvp heavy.
Yeah, I bought it on a sale once, started playing with a friend. But we stopped playing rather early, because there were all these systems and menus and possibilities piled on us rather early, and I rememeber being annoyed by the long riding times even for early quests. We just felt "bleeeh" about it and stopped at a low level. :cautious: