Tentacle God
Reputation score
Closing hours for Kimochi
Michael Kimochi
21:48
[Keep this message at the top of your inbox]
To: [email protected]
Hi all,

I am sorry to announce that the Kimochi service will be disabling all purchasable content on March 1st followed by a full shut down on March 31st. It has been a wonderful experience to help distribute your games to a wider audience, but unfortunately the financial situation does not allow us to keep the service running for much longer. Please feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

- Kimochi Team

FAQ:
- What will happen to players' downloaded games?
Players will receive a notice in the client directing them to the location of their games in their file system. After March 31st, these games will have to be accessed directly rather than through the Kimochi client.

- What will happen to players' purchased games?
If a player hasn't yet downloaded the game, they will receive a notice to do so within a month so that they can redeem their purchase. Refunds can be processed if necessary.

- When will the last payment cycle occur?
The last payments will be distributed on April 1st.

-------------

This kinda sucks, i wish we'd been made aware sooner so we could see if we could help

asaness

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Re: Kimochi shutting down

i kinda expected this to happen its kinda impossible for a steamlike system to for H-Games , knew it woudnt last but atleast he tried

Ayra

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

That's sad, it actually got me to know a few decent games (I wouldn't have heard of Divine Arms or Arena of Audacia without it for example)...

Sourjelly

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Wha.... for real?

...I really didn't expect this.

Now I need to do something about it X_X;;

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Wha.... for real?

...I really didn't expect this.

Now I need to do something about it X_X;;
I hope there is something we can do, i wouldnt like it if patreon was the only way i had to send out uncensored versions

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Honestly not surprised - way too many misteps for it to have worked, I think. Note that I actually do think that a platform like Kimochi could work - just not Kimochi itself. Still, a little disappointing.

@Azurezero: I seem to recall an old hentai game (a hentai version of Pipe Dream, actually) which distributed a patch for it's censored version publically. Assuming I get my act together and actually finish the utility I'm working on that can patch RGSS files, would that be an option for you? (Obviously it doesn't address the other issue, which is the massive cut that DLSite takes)

Ericridge

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Did Kimochi actually even have any good hentai games? Didn't heard of any so I didn't bother. Plus there was no way to check out their library without a client I think.

torkenstiem

Tentacle God
Reputation score

i never botherd withit since i didnt come across any links to games other than dlsite. but im kinda surprised it shut down so fast with all the hype when they came out.

Xil

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

i kinda expected this to happen its kinda impossible for a steamlike system to for H-Games , knew it woudnt last but atleast he tried
Maybe someday in the future. H-games are too "taboo" for this age yet. Sucks that it happened but, bad stuff happen.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Honestly not surprised - way too many misteps for it to have worked, I think. Note that I actually do think that a platform like Kimochi could work - just not Kimochi itself. Still, a little disappointing.

@Azurezero: I seem to recall an old hentai game (a hentai version of Pipe Dream, actually) which distributed a patch for it's censored version publically. Assuming I get my act together and actually finish the utility I'm working on that can patch RGSS files, would that be an option for you? (Obviously it doesn't address the other issue, which is the massive cut that DLSite takes)
I can keep doing that if i go back to the unlock file+demo=full game thing, no patching necessary (they'd just download an alternate demo and use the unlock file from where they purchased it to unlock all content)

Maybe someday in the future. H-games are too "taboo" for this age yet. Sucks that it happened but, bad stuff happen.
it's something to do with all the file hosting and data transfer costs, so the free big 4gb games were sapping their funds, or something... im not too sure

Last edited by a moderator:

saga55555

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Ah! this news make me feel sad :(

asestado

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Well i expected this to happen, basically because of a few things:

-No experience
-They didnt have a clear idea about what they wanted to do.
-The h game market is still too little.

Its good that those who made kimochi earn experience like this, however i think most people can say that they never expected them to survive.

The only surprise is that they decided to shut down now.

A bit of a shame but nothing else.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well i expected this to happen, basically because of a few things:

-No experience
-They didnt have a clear idea about what they wanted to do.
-The h game market is still too little.

Its good that those who made kimochi earn experience like this, however i think most people can say that they never expected them to survive.

The only surprise is that they decided to shut down now.

A bit of a shame but nothing else.
i'm wondering if they could continue by adding filezsize limits on free downloads and demos, i mean... apparently my games were perfect since i actually charge money for them and they're rather small...

I'm actually really saddened by this, it came just when I was nearing my next game release...i'm gonna have to get people to pledge to me just for SD quest now and that ticks me off...cause people having to wait is annoying for them

asestado

Demon Girl
Reputation score

i'm wondering if they could continue by adding filezsize limits on free downloads and demos, i mean... apparently my games were perfect since i actually charge money for them and they're rather small...

I'm actually really saddened by this, it came just when I was nearing my next game release...i'm gonna have to get people to pledge to me just for SD quest now and that ticks me off...cause people having to wait is annoying for them
I can understand that, and its truly a shame that there isnt a good way to sell your game, it seems that for now its the patreon era, i just hope that there will be a day in the future when people can start with a patreon and then leave it after selling their first game.

I hope the best for you azurezero :(

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I can understand that, and its truly a shame that there isnt a good way to sell your game, it seems that for now its the patreon era, i just hope that there will be a day in the future when people can start with a patreon and then leave it after selling their first game.

I hope the best for you azurezero :(
I still have dlsite but thats a 30% price hike compared to kimochi
which makes it harder for my poorest fans to buy

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I was JUST about to sell a game on there like, two weeks, tops, damn...

asestado

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I still have dlsite but thats a 30% price hike compared to kimochi
which makes it harder for my poorest fans to buy
yeah, its too much of an increase, the only thing that i can recommend is that you try to make a game with h content but more light so that you can sell it on steam, or cut the h content and then let people upgrade the version from a download from your blog.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I was JUST about to sell a game on there like, two weeks, tops, damn...
same, i only have a few npcs to add and the final floor to make, and the games done, i wish i had more feedback from the commissioner, they've not played it since the first demo... and itd be nice to know they approve of the other 60% ive made since

Ironstrom

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

A lot of Patreon games end up as free/always free scenarios to reach a bigger audience so it kinda makes the go to sell them option a rarer scenario. The like " hey we'l continue to make free games so please continue to support us if you like " Which is completely plausible.
We've got so few current places to sell otherwise finished titles and most of them have very gouging % deals.
Its a shame that Kimochi is going but I imagine a possibility where transparency on hosting costs could of caused greater support from devs to fund the costs of their own hosting to support the platform.

Guess we now rely on sites like Lewdgamer & the community to grow even more to just spread awareness/let people know our titles are out there.