What's new

Laws of the Night OOC and Discussion

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Laws of the Night OOC and Discussion

Okay, let's give this a shot and see if I can't give Shrike a bit of a boot in the arse with a temporary narration. ;)

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Were you going to include the basics for what it means to be caitiff or clanless as well. Since that will apply to a few of us.

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

What're you talkin'bout?! We're clan Superspecialsparkleonauts!

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Go read Rosary's prologue again and see how far that'll get'cha.

And I probably should. Technically, we're not Caitiff, we just don't know what clan we belong to, but they likely will treat us as such until they get it figured out. Rashar's the only one that's obviously got a clan, poor bastard.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

That actually reminded me of a couple questions I was going to ask. Since some of our peoples are from neutral clans what happens to the neutral clans if they want to join the cams? Can you renounce your clan? If so could you say become I guess an honorary member of say another clan or be adopted by them or something?

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

No, you don't renounce your clan. You just become a (we'll use you for an example) "Lasombra member of the Camarilla." (Or in their case, Lasombra antitribu, since Lasombra *are* Sabbat) Of course, that generally means you're regarded with suspicion and potential hatred, but you don't give up your clan. Far as I know, Caitiff/Pander are the only ones that can be "adopted."

Edit: On a side note, Caitiff are not really discussed in the LotN book. I can dredge up what I know of them from other books, but long story short, Caitiff essentially pick their disciplines and alliegances (that's pretty much their advantage, in addition to not really having a clan weakness.) and they are looked down upon by members of the clans, lack Kindred social standing, and do not have a "family network" to draw upon if they get in trouble, need to be taught new things, etc etc. (which is their disadvantage.) If they are "adopted," I believe they are the considered members of that particular clan (without the flaw), though they're still not as highly regarded as "pure" members of the clan.

Edit again: Time to make the donuts. Back after 10 EST.

Last edited:

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Check the cams are idiots, the sabbat are bigger idiots, and the anarchs are well anarchs. Guess I'll just go hang out with my shadow then.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Normally the Caitiff have to spend a lot more points to learn a discipline as well. And most Storytellers won't let them pick clan-specific disciplines, like Protean or Quietus.
EDIT: Oh! That corpse for Byron - was that a young Samedi? Or are they even more hideous?

Last edited:
OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

The corpse was sunburnt to the vampiric extreme, Samedi look like months-old zombies at best. So no. The reason he ashed was something the ST i run under goes by, not sure if it's actually part of the rules or not: When a Kindred dies, their bodies deteriorate rapidly until they reach the stage they would be in if they weren't Embraced.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Normally the Caitiff have to spend a lot more points to learn a discipline as well. And most Storytellers won't let them pick clan-specific disciplines, like Protean or Quietus.
EDIT: Oh! That corpse for Byron - was that a young Samedi? Or are they even more hideous?
That's also something that's in debate. According to earlier VtM rules, the three disciplines that Caitiff picked were considered their "clan" disciplines for the purposes of buying them up in levels, but later rules may have changed this. I only know this because it was one of the few rules arguments that I actually won against my boyfriend at the time. You are right, though. Most clan specific disciplines cannot be taken (though I think Protean was an exception and Thaumaturgy was a big old "Denied!")

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Double posting of justice! Or so it doesn't get lost in the fact that edits don't show up as new.

Tsuki, I'm not ignoring you. I'd just like to see how Vincent fairs after dealing with Claire before bringing him back. Also, Shrike knows a wee bit more about what's going on with you than I do, so I may have to poke her to post for you instead of me.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I am curious to see if Claire even stands a chance against this Vincent you mention.

Tsuki

Lurker
Reputation score

S'fine. Btw, I did freak out when I saw you post. But oh well!

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I get to fu-*coughcough* Play around with you guys while Shrike has writer's block. *grins*

OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Insomnia-induced writer's block, the very worst kind (for me, anyway). But yeah, she's a narrator, so I let her narrate :)

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oh wow. Embraced in under one full site, that's gotta be a new record.
EDIT: Do members of one clan instinctively recognize each other, or would Fletch be clueless when Sin's character comes in.

Last edited:
OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

There were a couple with fast Embraces, as it happens it means the prologue spends more time after than before, so it will balance out :)

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I was amazed at that one, too. Just sorta...happened. Guess the opportunities presented themselves.

And to answer your question, Rule, he'd be clueless. Vampires of the same clan may exhibit similar quirks, but they're going to have to come out first. (IE, role-played) They won't immediately know they're of the same clan but I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out once they start talking about what happened.

OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

With the exception of Malkavians. It takes one to know one, and they recognize each other on sight ;)

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

There's another reason for that, too, I think, but I'm not telling...

Ohyeah...and Nosferatu can generally recognize one another, too. Y'know...just cause.