What's new

ACT [ Maken Ansala ] さきゅばすの日記 / Succubus Affection

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Is the Demo super short with only 2 girls? Could just be getting owned by the japanese language barrier
Nope, you're right. That's all Ansala has to show, ever since 2018/04/17 (11 months, and 6+ months since zell completed the art he was comissioned for AFAIK).
That bodes pretty badly. No wonder he paywalled the proof of concept. I mean, demo.

...Still hoping I'll be proven wrong, though it's a long shot at this point.

ArdentVale

Reputation score
I wouldn't give up hope just yet, they still appear to be pretty active:

Just because the game had 2 tech demos doesn't mean it's not being worked on actively. They just don't want to overshare, which personally is fine in my opinion, however there are constantly new posts about additional features and dev logs.
Also, as it was said in a previous comment, we don't know how much time Ansala has to spend on this. Coupled with what we know about the mechanics being complicated, it will probably take a while to get them working well enough to be shown to the public.

There's a lot more mechanics in this game than FOBS. It no longer seems to just be a simple 2D platformer action rpg, there's going to be stuff like crafting, capturing companions and skills, and w/e else they decide to add. One of the updates I read said it took a lot of time just to write the code to have companions properly follow you around... We can't tell how many people are supporting them with money and how many are just using the basic free follow functions, so we have no idea if they make enough to focus on the game full-time. Some people do get lazy though, however I don't believe these guys fall into that. There are a lot of thing to think about here...
If you want to be optimistic about it, they could be working on multiple different mechanics at a time, and only putting them in the demos when they're game ready, so that the only thing the community sees is quality (without alpha level bugs). This would be a nice touch considering the demos are paid for, and you wouldn't want to be spending money for buggy software.

Sourjar

Reputation score
I'm a raging moron that did not realize that supporting isn't the same as buying a trial version. If that makes any sense. Which makes no sense to me, support someone for 10 dollars a month and it's just a sentiment and no rewards. But to actually get the content, pay extra, i.e trial version 0.02 and if it updates, pay again. Zero disclosure on the main page about all this. I love zell but christ sake this was so confusing.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

The money you donate in any particular month gives you any update released in that month (depending on tier). If you offered 10$ for this month (April), you will get access to basically anything they post for this entire month (since 10$ is the highest tier available). If you are just looking for the newest stuff, this is the way to go. When you sign up this way, you are signing up for a subscription. So you will get charged 10$ every month until you cancel it.

━━━━━━━━​

If you went to a post that was published in the past, like the 0.02 trial that was released in FEBRUARY, and paid for that, you gain access only to the posts from February, under whatever tier you paid for. Image example being the 500 yen tier.

So if you have a feeling there's going to be a new demo this month, you will have wanted to have selected "Plan" on their home page. If you only wanted the 0.02 trial, you will have wanted to go to the post it was released in, and paid for that.

I honestly don't understand why so many people get so confused (or mad) about this, but it keeps happening. It's just Patreon or Fantia but with an added level of DLsite jewmancy. I do an alright job reading Japanese, but I think it's explained pretty well even with google translate.

Should have been pretty easy to figure out what is going on. Since it is something that was posted during a month you weren't a supporter, you will have to pay for it to become a supporter for whatever month that post was published.
Anyways, you get what you pay for, literally. If you support for a specific month, you only get stuff from that month. Old demos from this group isn't particularly worth it, especially if you read through the thread and realized that the 0.02 demo didn't really offer any new H-Content and was mostly used to show off a new mechanic. But as the game gets more and more complete, the demos might start filling out more. Or maybe they'll continue to just go with "this demo shows off this mechanic". We won't know until later, though. I'm kind of tired of explaining this constantly all over the forum so I'm going to stop now.

NewGuy

Reputation score
I've never liked that about ci-en. It seems like the whole concept came from a misunderstanding about how Patreon rewards are supposed to work, and it's why I avoid paying anyone on that site no matter how much I like them. Patreon subscriptions are intended to be a way for you to support someone making something you like, and they in turn can give you little bonuses on the side. Sure, someone could "abuse" that system by only paying after something they like comes out and getting all of the posts from that creator at once, but if they're offering so much that people dipping in and out can be a problem then it's not a bonus anymore and they should charge for things individually through a more traditional method. That shouldn't be through a subscription method in the first place, especially since you're never sure if you'll even want what they make in any particular month until it's already out. Patreon is "I like their works, so I support them so they can continue to make their game/art/music/whatever, and I can see some exclusive stuff as a little bonus," but ci-en is "I like their works, so I have to go back and pay individually for each one of their works I wanna see, meaning I might end up spending 10-100$ for a handful of .gifs that most artists would upload to pixiv for free, or I might pay someone because I wanted to support them, but it turns out they haven't made anything yet this month so if I want to see their latest barebones demo I need to wait despite having paid or go back a month and pay a second time."
I don't think it's terrible or anything, since it's only deceptive if you don't speak Japanese and just assume it works like Pareton (which is your own fault), and I can certainly see the logic behind it, but it's still pretty anti-consumer imo.

Last edited:

Sourjar

Reputation score
View attachment 20815

The money you donate in any particular month gives you any update released in that month (depending on tier). If you offered 10$ for this month (April), you will get access to basically anything they post for this entire month (since 10$ is the highest tier available). If you are just looking for the newest stuff, this is the way to go. When you sign up this way, you are signing up for a subscription. So you will get charged 10$ every month until you cancel it.

━━━━━━━━​

View attachment 20816

If you went to a post that was published in the past, like the 0.02 trial that was released in FEBRUARY, and paid for that, you gain access only to the posts from February, under whatever tier you paid for. Image example being the 500 yen tier.

So if you have a feeling there's going to be a new demo this month, you will have wanted to have selected "Plan" on their home page. If you only wanted the 0.02 trial, you will have wanted to go to the post it was released in, and paid for that.

I honestly don't understand why so many people get so confused (or mad) about this, but it keeps happening. It's just Patreon or Fantia but with an added level of DLsite jewmancy. I do an alright job reading Japanese, but I think it's explained pretty well even with google translate.

View attachment 20817

Should have been pretty easy to figure out what is going on. Since it is something that was posted during a month you weren't a supporter, you will have to pay for it to become a supporter for whatever month that post was published.
Anyways, you get what you pay for, literally. If you support for a specific month, you only get stuff from that month. Old demos from this group isn't particularly worth it, especially if you read through the thread and realized that the 0.02 demo didn't really offer any new H-Content and was mostly used to show off a new mechanic. But as the game gets more and more complete, the demos might start filling out more. Or maybe they'll continue to just go with "this demo shows off this mechanic". We won't know until later, though. I'm kind of tired of explaining this constantly all over the forum so I'm going to stop now.
That back number purchase thing really needs to be re-worded. I had no clue what it meant but decided to click on buy. I just want to support the game as best I can. I was a long time supporter of zell last year. But yeah people get real confused over this site.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I was a long time supporter of zell last year. But yeah people get real confused over this site.
I've said that before, but here I go:
Maken Ansala is the developer for this game, Succubus Affection. I believe Zell was only commissioned for the art, but I might be wrong - don't quote me on this.

The place to support Zell, maker of FOBS, is his own personal (or - I dunno how Fantia works, actually...).

Should we request that this thread be renamed "[Maken Ansala] さきゅばすの日記/ Succubus Affection feat. Zell23's art"? That's a very serious question, since Zell's name comes up so often, often mistaking who's leading the project. Which is, NOT Zell.

BluFalcon

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
I'm not sure where this idea of commission came from but the front page of their ci-en says the circle "さきゅばすの日記 (Succubus' Diary)", consists of both members. Answerer does the code, Zell does the art. It's a project from both, split 50/50. It's not a case in which Answerer pays for Zell to do the art and then reaps all the profit.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Answerer does the code, Zell does the art. It's a project from both, split 50/50. It's not a case in which Answerer pays for Zell to do the art and then reaps all the profit.
I'm not very smart. In my mind "code = the game", "art = the pretty package with the ribbon".
I trust Zell23 to do pretty ribbons properly, and more. But the 50/50 sounds like an inadequate ratio...

Abandonedacc

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I'm not very smart. In my mind "code = the game", "art = the pretty package with the ribbon".
I trust Zell23 to do pretty ribbons properly, and more. But the 50/50 sounds like an inadequate ratio...
Do you know S-purple/breeding season ? if you do then damm you are aware how the lead artist can easy screw the whole team and game project to the point to destroy it (also scam people again with cloud meadow...).

So no, zell its not only "cute ribbons", most people would straight quit supporting the game if zell stop doing the art (i will since its zell works its the strong selling point here).

Last edited:

NewGuy

Reputation score
Do you know S-purple/breeding season ? if you do then damm you are aware how the lead artist can easy screw the whole team and game project to the point to destroy it (also scam people again with cloud meadow...).

So no, zell its not only "cute ribbons", most people would straight quit supporting the game if zell stop doing the art (i will since its zell works its the strong selling point here).
That's not really a reasonable comparison at all. I believe artists deserve a lot more credit than they sometimes get, especially for smaller games where the programmer doesn't have to work too hard since gameplay is on the simpler side and platformer games have a lot of reference material, whereas the artist is doing the same amount of new work per added area, enemy, etc. But what you're talking about has nothing to do with who deserves more credit. The whole breeding season thing was about an artist using a legal loophole to kill a project that nobody wanted to work on any more because the programmer was a lazy asshole who spent all his work time streaming video games instead even though the code needed more work than anything else, while all the artists used their work streams to show their art. I think everyone involved handled the situation poorly, but I don't understand how people still side with Hbomb over S-Purple when S-Purple calmly explained his reasons behind killing the project and backed it up with screenshots and chat logs, whereas all Hbomb did was post a big angry rant throwing baseless accusations and never responded to claims that his whole team fucking hated him for never doing any work.
But I digress. Point is, an artist and programmer having a spat in a unique legal situation isn't really relevant to who "deserves" the money.

I don't think it's easy to compare the two, since art is strictly creative work and programming is mostly logical, and the amount an artist or programmer will get per hour will vastly vary from person to person in both careers. In small two-man projects like this, 50/50 seems pretty fair just to avoid stepping on any toes if nothing else, and at the end of the day the only people who really know how fair it is are the people making the money. If they're happy with it, I'm happy with it.

Abandonedacc

Tentacle God
Reputation score
That's not really a reasonable comparison at all. I believe artists deserve a lot more credit than they sometimes get, especially for smaller games where the programmer doesn't have to work too hard since gameplay is on the simpler side and platformer games have a lot of reference material, whereas the artist is doing the same amount of new work per added area, enemy, etc. But what you're talking about has nothing to do with who deserves more credit. The whole breeding season thing was about an artist using a legal loophole to kill a project that nobody wanted to work on any more because the programmer was a lazy asshole who spent all his work time streaming video games instead even though the code needed more work than anything else, while all the artists used their work streams to show their art. I think everyone involved handled the situation poorly, but I don't understand how people still side with Hbomb over S-Purple when S-Purple calmly explained his reasons behind killing the project and backed it up with screenshots and chat logs, whereas all Hbomb did was post a big angry rant throwing baseless accusations and never responded to claims that his whole team fucking hated him for never doing any work.
But I digress. Point is, an artist and programmer having a spat in a unique legal situation isn't really relevant to who "deserves" the money.

I don't think it's easy to compare the two, since art is strictly creative work and programming is mostly logical, and the amount an artist or programmer will get per hour will vastly vary from person to person in both careers. In small two-man projects like this, 50/50 seems pretty fair just to avoid stepping on any toes if nothing else, and at the end of the day the only people who really know how fair it is are the people making the money. If they're happy with it, I'm happy with it.
I know its not a fair comparation but is good for showing how powerful and important its the artist work on the project (also S-purple wasnt exactly the good guy there..but anyway i dont want to resurrect that crap anymore).

So Zell its really important for this game, if zell stop for whatever reason it can easy shutdown the whole project for months or even years if its not straight destroy it.

Aesthetic

Reputation score
I know its not a fair comparation but is good for showing how powerful and important its the artist work on the project (also S-purple wasnt exactly the good guy there..but anyway i dont want to resurrect that crap anymore).

So Zell its really important for this game, if zell stop for whatever reason it can easy shutdown the whole project for months or even years if its not straight destroy it.
Zell's the only reason I care.
Insala's a skilled programmer but a terrible designer in my eyes. He's only working with Zell (1 artist,) and he's not working around that limitation at all. The game has like a million buttons and there's tons of ways to attack meaning the enemies are going to need to work even harder to down the player. He doesn't care about the level design from what I've seen. He only wants to make it look pretty.

Zell's objectively better as a game designer and I have tons of issues with him on that front. I guess it's asking too much for him to be the lead dev on two projects though so he let Insala have the reigns on this game.

The more I see of it, the more I think that the art's being put to waste.

Abandonedacc

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Zell's the only reason I care.
Insala's a skilled programmer but a terrible designer in my eyes. He's only working with Zell (1 artist,) and he's not working around that limitation at all. The game has like a million buttons and there's tons of ways to attack meaning the enemies are going to need to work even harder to down the player. He doesn't care about the level design from what I've seen. He only wants to make it look pretty.

Zell's objectively better as a game designer and I have tons of issues with him on that front. I guess it's asking too much for him to be the lead dev on two projects though so he let Insala have the reigns on this game.

The more I see of it, the more I think that the art's being put to waste.
i forgot to mention this its an eroge so another point in favor for the one in charge doing the art....

Aesthetic

Reputation score
i forgot to mention this its an eroge so another point in favor for the one in charge doing the art....
I 100% disagree.
Just because you're an artist doesn't mean you have a strong understanding for what makes a fun game, erotic or otherwise. The design element is an art in itself that people don't value enough. Programming, art and game design are all separate skills.

I will say the original MGQ is a legitimately fun game. I'm glad that Torotoro, the writer was the one behind it.

I also think Zell's got quite a few issues with his game design.

Abandonedacc

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I 100% disagree.
Just because you're an artist doesn't mean you have a strong understanding for what makes a fun game, erotic or otherwise. The design element is an art in itself that people don't value enough. Programming, art and game design are all separate skills.

I will say the original MGQ is a legitimately fun game. I'm glad that Torotoro, the writer was the one behind it.

I also think Zell's got quite a few issues with his game design.
if you dont like the CG/H-scenes/character design, you skip the game despite gameplay, lore, etc.

Last edited:

Aesthetic

Reputation score
if you dont like the CG/H-scenes/character design, you skip the game despite gameplay, lore, etc.
I never said it wasn't extremely important. Just shouldn't be the deciding factor of who is the lead. The better game designer should lead imo.

2dguy

Reputation score
how do I even get the demo? I want to play it looks good! and is there going to be a eng patch/ver?

OP
bluna

bluna

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
View attachment 20815

━━━━━━━━​

View attachment 20816

View attachment 20817

Saved to the first post.