What's new

RPG RPG Maker Loli [月の水企画 / Tsuki-no-Mizu] ナイトメアガールズ/Nightmare Girls (RJ215006)

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Well, this is a pleasant thing to remember the existance of, considering it ticks most of my boxes and I technically didn't even have to "wait" for it that long lol

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Just curious, but you guys can all read Japanese?
Dude, I'm translating games as a hobby. I can read Japanese (albeit I do have to look up a lot of words, but that's what Yomichan is for).

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score
Just curious, but you guys can all read Japanese?
I can read all katakana/hiragana, not a whole lot of kanjis, but that's what I use rikaikun for.

If you want to start, I'd say those basic characters + learn the grammar helps a lot (there's some variation due to dialects or speech style, but so long as you can guess "X is either doing or having Y done to it" you can usually get close enough by paying attention to context)

nnescio

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Dude, I'm translating games as a hobby. I can read Japanese (albeit I do have to look up a lot of words, but that's what Yomichan is for).
I should have remembered from the conversation we had back in 2016. Good to see your work. We need more non-MTLs around here.

I can read all katakana/hiragana, not a whole lot of kanjis, but that's what I use rikaikun for.

If you want to start, I'd say those basic characters + learn the grammar helps a lot (there's some variation due to dialects or speech style, but so long as you can guess "X is either doing or having Y done to it" you can usually get close enough by paying attention to context)
せっかく助言していただいてありがたいですが、遠慮します。
I am grateful that you went out of the way to give me advice, but I think I'll pass.
(No sarcasm or anything. The Japanese is just a bit on the polite/formal end of the scale, because I tend to speak that way in Japanese.)

関西弁ver↓
せやな~ せっかく助言しとっただいてありがたいやけど、遠慮しまんねん~ ほんまごめん!
Darn tootin'! Thankee kindly fer ta advice, but I think I'll pass. Bless yer heart!
(And yes, the original is a very bad, stereotypical example of Kansai-ben.)

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
せっかく助言していただいてありがたいですが、遠慮します。
I am grateful that you went out of the way to give me advice, but I think I'll pass.
(No sarcasm or anything. The Japanese is just a bit on the polite/formal end of the scale, because I tend to speak that way in Japanese.)
Show off ;)

Anyhow, for the non-Japanese speaking crowd who don't keep up with Tsuki-no-mizu's blog, I've from the last few months. So if you're interested, have a look? To be honest there isn't that much new info, although there's quite a few new pictures. And pictures are important.

nnescio

Reputation score
Author has another blog post up (with another pic posted). Game is STILL NOT done, 'though he seems to be finished with playtesting and is now moving towards debugging, which is expected to take around two weeks (the author hopes you understand). He has made advance arrangements with DLsite though, and is aiming to release the game within this month (September).

(Reading the author's recent tweets does give me the impression that he's faffing about a bit during the last few days ["I find it hard to touch a computer after slipping into a few days break, but, eh, might as well update the blog at least."]. Even if that's the case, it's his prerogative though, and I certainly can't blame him, especially not after all that hard work. Not to mention the current weather in Japan...)

Show off ;)

Anyhow, for the non-Japanese speaking crowd who don't keep up with Tsuki-no-mizu's blog, I've from the last few months. So if you're interested, have a look? To be honest there isn't that much new info, although there's quite a few new pictures. And pictures are important.
Seen the website. Mind if I give a few suggestions and/or minor corrections via PM?

Last edited:

HangerDanger

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Author has another blog post up (with another pic posted). Game is STILL NOT done, 'though he seems to be finished with playtesting and is now moving towards debugging, which is expected to take around two weeks (the author hopes you understand). He has made advance arrangements with DLsite though, and is aiming to release the game within this month (September).

(Reading the author's recent tweets does give me the impression that he's faffing about a bit during the last few days ["I find it hard to touch a computer after slipping into a few days break, but, eh, might as well update the blog at least."]. Even if that's the case, it's his prerogative though, and I certainly can't blame him, especially not after all that hard work. Not to mention the current weather in Japan...)
Well, he did mention on his blog at some point of time that he wanted to squash all the bugs before game's release this time around so that's what made him break trough his initial release date by about eight month now.

And he isn't moving to debugging (he has been at it for a while already), he's going to be done with it in about two weeks, so taking the time required to have it up on DLSite we will see the game out by the end of a month (this is something that i have probably mentioned before)...

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Seen the website. Mind if I give a few suggestions and/or minor corrections via PM?
Of course. I'm always willing to learn where I've made mistakes.

And my reading of the blog post was that T.O.D. is moving onto squashing the bugs uncovered during playtesting - other types of bug fixing have been going on before. If memory serves, the development of this game has been delayed for a whole load of reasons, but mostly because of a vast underestimate in the amount of work needed for the both drawing and integrating into the game all of the pictures.

HangerDanger

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
And my reading of the blog post was that T.O.D. is moving onto squashing the bugs uncovered during playtesting - other types of bug fixing have been going on before. If memory serves, the development of this game has been delayed for a whole load of reasons, but mostly because of a vast underestimate in the amount of work needed for the both drawing and integrating into the game all of the pictures.
Hmm, he did talk about debugging and playtesting in one of his previous blog posts so my impression was that he was fixing bugs as he found them during playtesting although i must admit that i don't ever read anything he posts on tweeter so i might have missed something important (i know just what i read on his blog) so that may not be the case...

At the very least i have to admit that he is being very thorough this time around which certainly beats having to waste time having to put out updates during a long period of time like he had done before...

nnescio

Reputation score
Hmm, he did talk about debugging and playtesting in one of his previous blog posts so my impression was that he was fixing bugs as he found them during playtesting although i must admit that i don't ever read anything he posts on tweeter so i might have missed something important (i know just what i read on his blog) so that may not be the case...

At the very least i have to admit that he is being very thorough this time around which certainly beats having to waste time having to put out updates during a long period of time like he had done before...
The previous blog posts deal will sometimes mention adding a feature, 'playtesting' said feature to make it works, and then debugging it to make sure it's bug free. Sort of like .

The playtesting mentioned in the August 28 blog post is a comprehensive playtest, an internal beta test to make sure the game works from start to finish, and to identify any design flaws (game balance etc.) or anything he missed (like the character portrait scenes recollection feature). Once he knows what to fix or add, he does that, putting the finishing touches to arrive at a release candidate, as mentioned in the title of the Sept 14 blog post ("...putting the finishing touches before debugging"). Once he's done, he still decides to debug the resulting release candidate, to make sure no other bugs has crept in when he added and modified stuff (and to potentially catch any bugs he missed).

This debugging is not the same as the previous debugging. This is more like a combined integration/feature test, instead of the individual unit testing he had been doing earlier.

In game-design terms (such as 'taught' academically in courses), Tanabe is nearing the end of the cycle, at the playtesting, polishing and debugging phase (He's done with playtesting, now he's polishing it and moving on to debugging).

Note that playtesting is to find design flaws and to fix them. Not programming ones. Once he had found those flaws, he has to fix them, and then to proceed to debugging to identify any programming bugs (part of this process is to reproduce and isolate bugs so he knows how to fix them). Playtesting and debugging are different.

In any case, I really do admire Tanabe's work ethic.

HangerDanger

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
The previous blog posts deal will sometimes mention adding a feature, 'playtesting' said feature to make it works, and then debugging it to make sure it's bug free. Sort of like .

The playtesting mentioned in the August 28 blog post is a comprehensive playtest, an internal beta test to make sure the game works from start to finish, and to identify any design flaws (game balance etc.) or anything he missed (like the character portrait scenes recollection feature). Once he knows what to fix or add, he does that, putting the finishing touches to arrive at a release candidate, as mentioned in the title of the Sept 14 blog post ("...putting the finishing touches before debugging"). Once he's done, he still decides to debug the resulting release candidate, to make sure no other bugs has crept in when he added and modified stuff (and to potentially catch any bugs he missed).

This debugging is not the same as the previous debugging. This is more like a combined integration/feature test, instead of the individual unit testing he had been doing earlier.

In game-design terms (such as 'taught' academically in courses), Tanabe is nearing the end of the cycle, at the playtesting, polishing and debugging phase (He's done with playtesting, now he's polishing it and moving on to debugging).

Note that playtesting is to find design flaws and to fix them. Not programming ones. Once he had found those flaws, he has to fix them, and then to proceed to debugging to identify any programming bugs (part of this process is to reproduce and isolate bugs so he knows how to fix them). Playtesting and debugging are different.

In any case, I really do admire Tanabe's work ethic.
Wow, i always thought that playtesting and debugging went hand to hand with one another and that you couldn't advance one thing without the other (it made sense to me that you would do debugging as you found bugs during playtesting and squash them in that order) ...

I actually had no idea it was divided in all the phases you mentioned. Well, i guess you learn something new everyday...

And yeah Tanabe's work ethics improved compared to before as now he has that much more of a complex project to complete so he had to adjust to all of that (i mean even i see that much)...

ay0lah

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Is tommorow/ Saturday gonna be the release date?
I'm a bit hesitated that he can debug a long game (usually around 8~10 hours) in 2 weeks. (well i think he can if that's the only thing he do and which not).
The last update said he is debugging and need 2 weeks from 14 Sept. I hope it release this weekend.

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
To be honest, that seems a tad unlikely at this stage. There's been no mention of the game being submitted to DLSite for checking, and that process takes a few days. So I'd say signs point to no for a release at the weekend, even if it were submitted right now.

ay0lah

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I don't think dlsite processing are long. If he finish tommorow and submit it to dlsite, usually it will sold at 00.00 Saturday (from my experience seeing many games processed in the past). Gonna have to wait today or tommorow for a new info in his blog.

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Really? I suppose if they've tightened up their processes recently, but in my experience DLSite has taken anywhere up to 5 days to review a game for compliance - depending on a lot of things. There might be some ways around that (perhaps you can submit the game assets independently of the game itself?) but I wouldn't be too optimistic on this.

Mistix

Lurker
Reputation score
I've just took a look at this demo and as long as there's no schedule envolved I'm good with it.
You'll end up getting all the stuff :)
One question though. Do you get any h-scenes from losing battles?

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
I've just took a look at this demo and as long as there's no schedule envolved I'm good with it.
You'll end up getting all the stuff :)
One question though. Do you get any h-scenes from losing battles?
Sometimes. When you lose a battle your party is warped back to safety at the base, only every now and then there's an accident and one party member except the MC is is sent into a monster nest instead of the base. There's an accessory that you can equip on a girl to increase the odds that she's the victim of this.

Mistix

Lurker
Reputation score
Sometimes. When you lose a battle your party is warped back to safety at the base, only every now and then there's an accident and one party member except the MC is is sent into a monster nest instead of the base. There's an accessory that you can equip on a girl to increase the odds that she's the victim of this.
Oh, which acessory is it? Are you saying that each girl has a gor scene?

Edit* I think I found it. It's the rope one ,right?

Last edited:

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Rape-on-loss, not game-over-rape. She's rescued after the scene.

The item that increases the risk of capture on loss (and increases damage from tentacles) is 触手アロマ. It looks like a bag. The rope, 拘束バンド, decreases the chance of a girl escaping from rape during battle and lowers her dodge.

nnescio

Reputation score
Wow, i always thought that playtesting and debugging went hand to hand with one another and that you couldn't advance one thing without the other (it made sense to me that you would do debugging as you found bugs during playtesting and squash them in that order) ...

I actually had no idea it was divided in all the phases you mentioned. Well, i guess you learn something new everyday...

And yeah Tanabe's work ethics improved compared to before as now he has that much more of a complex project to complete so he had to adjust to all of that (i mean even i see that much)...
Oh, you don't have to follow the 'phases'. Ad hoc playtesting and debugging is probably more convenient for most solo hobbyist projects (which most doujin games are, by definition), since segmenting the work flow itself takes up overhead, wasting some time.

If the project is complicated, however, and/or if it is collaborative work with multiple programmers, then you'll want some sort of 'version control', since otherwise you might lose track of what bugs have been fixed and how some of the changes you made will affect some other part of the game. (causing you to, say, accidentally 'fix' a bug twice.) Segmenting the workflow into 'introduce new feature' → 'playtest new feature' → 'fix design flaws' → 'debug version' steps becomes a rather natural way of doing things. Same goes for the release candidate, except the playtest/fix/debug are more comprehensive.

It's sort of like the difference between, say, a course assignment and an undergraduate research thesis. Less complicated project, you don't divide up things too much, because dividing itself takes up time and can distract you (like focusing work on one section of your assignment at the expense of the whole). More complicated stuff with different things to do, you divvy it up to make the workflow less intimidating and to let you keep track of changes and how the whole thing meshes together.

With that said, these days you generally can get away with far less QC, thanks to digital releases. If you using physical media, then you'd want to be damn sure that the your master copy (the gold master) is relatively free of bugs or design flaws before you release it, because pushing patches later can be slow and expensive. With digital releases, patching can be done conveniently and cheaply. You can even get away with using your customers as free 'beta testers', *cough*, that is to say, rushing a release candidate out for sale with minimal QC and then fixing bugs as they come in from all the bug reports.

(Wings of Lohrdea is sorta like this. Still has serious bugs, still not fixed yet.

And of course, Ubisoft is infamous for this. Bethesda somewhat too, but I give them a pass because their games are complicated, design-wise.)

Really? I suppose if they've tightened up their processes recently, but in my experience DLSite has taken anywhere up to 5 days to review a game for compliance - depending on a lot of things. There might be some ways around that (perhaps you can submit the game assets independently of the game itself?) but I wouldn't be too optimistic on this.
He did mention he made prior arrangements with DLsite. Since he has his release candidate already, I suppose he could upload that earlier and have them clear it, while promising that he's just debugging things and is not going to add any new pictures/music/voice/text(aside from typo fixes)/etc. Processing the master copy after that would just be a matter of formality.

That said, I wouldn't be too optimistic either, yeah.

(Tanabe also seems somewhat distracted to me as of late, judging from his Twitter feed)

For the trial? Three scenes, one each for the the three girls other than Yatsuha (the MC). They correspond to three computers/access terminals on the second table in the CG/Event Review room.

The accessory is Eau de Tentacule (触手アロマ, "Tentacle Aroma"), as mentioned by Froggus. IIRC, you get in one of the chests after defeating the Witch (forest stage boss).

Last edited: