What's new

OOC thread

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: OOC thread

Well if you have any Irish blood, it's very likely you would be related to one of the high kings. Admittedly it's not as exciting when everyone else with Irish blood can say the same thing though.
Good to know my potato farmer ancestors were noble in some fashion.

Isn't everyone with European blood somehow related to Charlemagne? I know I've heard that apocryphal statistic somewhere.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Fun fact, around 800 BC is the point in time during which all current humans were related at.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm pretty sure most Americans wouldn't be more than a third of anything. I'm French/Irish on my dad's side and Swedish/German on my mom's, and technically the French comes via Canada.

It's probably more apocryphal but it really wouldn't surprise me if a very large number of Europeans had some Karling blood in them.

Also my new goal in game is to hunt down and burn all the Fraticelli's at the stake. I was just goofing around and seeing how long I could last playing as Strathclyde. I had managed to increase my land and improve the dynasty over a few generations when heresy struck. Seriously where'd they get a 4,000 man army in my petty kingdom, there probably weren't even that many people living there.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

A panel show mentioning the Charlemagne thing:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Well it depends on when people came to America. I had a large part of my family move over from Germany in 1914.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

A good point, most of my German and Swedish ancestors came over a little before yours did. My grandma was actually born in Ireland and she came over just after WWI, the French portion has been here since before the US existeds o they may be a little diluted. Then again they have lived in Acadiana forever so they might actually be inbred for all I know.

I do know it's their fault I'm bald, those darn syphilis riddled Frenchmen. Also do you find it odd that syphilis is in CK2 when the best supported theory would suggest it didn't arrive till after the discovery of the New World. Also I still hate the Fraticellis, why couldn't they be more like the guys in Name of the Rose and just solve murder mysteries. Then again if you have a Fraticelli bishop does he automatically give you all his gold since it's bad for the church to have it.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Embrace the heresy and create the Anti-pope.

Gotta have a challenge.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Well technically I'm already backing an antipope from my oddly formed empire of Burgundy, Switzerland, Bavaria, Hungary, Brittany, Normandy, Bohemia, and Moravia. Of course if a Fraticelli pope is willing to turn all the church's money over to me I would have no problem with backing a new antipope.

Ye gods I have caught the mother of all head colds, seriously I felt like I was walking around with a medicine ball on my shoulders all week. Starting to feel better now though so hopefully poasts tomorrow.

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Don't lie, we all know CK2 finally took hold of you ;)

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I wish. It hurts too much to hold my head up and read much less play a game that would require brain power. Now if there was a way I could just watch the game as an observer I might have fiddled with it.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

... there is... ;) Observer mode.

Or Let's Plays might be more entertaining, or AARs.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Because Ronny hasn't had a lifetime's worth of AARs :p

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

*Shoots Oamp in the knee for even mentioning AAR*

Now how do you get in to this observation mode?

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

;)

See that's the thing, I don't quite remember. It might be on character select, a way to select no character.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

What's Ronny's issues with AARs?

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Darn it, Blue. Now I gotta shoot you as well.

If you must know though an AAR (after action review) is an annoying facet of military life. Basically everytime you do something you're supposed to gather together and discuss it afterwards. Officers love them for some reason but I'm pretty sure everyone else hates them, so of course we have to do them constantly and then turn in paperwork to the officers about what we discussed.

I guess I'll just have to look up how to enter the mode on the wiki my brother told me about, or perhaps just ask him if he knows how to do it.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

But those AARs don't have nice pictures most of the time, or middle ages soap opera drama ;)

Also, keep in mind, there are two wikis for every paradox game for some reason. Typically neither have *all* the info you need :\

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Darn it, Blue. Now I gotta shoot you as well.

If you must know though an AAR (after action review) is an annoying facet of military life. Basically everytime you do something you're supposed to gather together and discuss it afterwards. Officers love them for some reason but I'm pretty sure everyone else hates them, so of course we have to do them constantly and then turn in paperwork to the officers about what we discussed.

I guess I'll just have to look up how to enter the mode on the wiki my brother told me about, or perhaps just ask him if he knows how to do it.
Heh, I only know of AARs in the context of war gamers, who like to discuss their latest grognard fest where they spent a weekend recreating WWII on a map two tables large.

And in that context I like them very much.

However, I'm no stranger to getting together with colleagues and having long, boring meetings to discuss everything we're doing for the benefit of the administration team putting together their data. Happens plenty in civilian life too.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I knew specifically both contexts when I said it, but I am a troll ;)

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Thankfully I tried the correct one first then, you have to use the console command screen to go into observer mode. I didn't even know there was a cheat screen before this, and I now have the urge to go around randomly murdering important people at inopportune times to see what happens in history.

I guess they probably got the term for war games from the military's use of the term. I realize civilians do them as well but it's more the term itself that makes me hate it, same with any other acronym really. The sad part is I can't make myself stop using them.