What's new

OOC thread

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: OOC thread

I already said I like the idea you don't need to keep selling it more.

I was perusing the 20th anniversary edition of vampire: the dark ages and thinking about some of the changes they made. Specifically how they changed koldunic sorcery from how it was originally written to the krainas.

Basically instead of having somewhat generic ways that all the Kolduns would follow you have different regional magics forming a five level discipline. For examples they gave the Black Sea kraina, the Transylvanian kraina, and genius loci(basically Way of the spirit). So each koldun could have a very unique set of powers depending on their homeland, sort of how we came up with our own way for Gyulu and Vezina.

I swear sometimes Onyx Path is spying on me because they changed the Assamite to something similar to how I did as well. Though there are a few ideas they had I didn't care for over all it was a pretty decent book.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Will have to check out the V20 Dark Ages. Don't have that one.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

It's not a bad book though I'm not sure it's quite worth it at least compared to the modern V20 book. There are a number of discipline changes which I feel make sense though I've only perused the book so far, I could change my mind. The art was good and it's well-written. I guess it could be that I feel slightly perturbed that I just got a book that will be replaced by 4th edition soon.

Also am I the only one who is bothered by the fact they call the book vampire: the dark ages, yet they set the game in the year 1250. I realize my game isn't set in the dark ages either but I only call it dark ages because that's what they call the book.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Eh, well to be fair it's only pushing at the seams. Historians are a finicky group anyway, heh. If it was the 1300s I might complain more, and 1400s would be right out.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Bugs me a bit to be fair. I always think before the turn of the millennium for Dark Ages stuff.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I imagine most games would make it to at least 1300 but I do understand your point. Granted I also don't think the book was written by an actual historian. Seeing as they really like to talk about the Black Death, which won't occur for almost a hundred years after the game is set.

So pretty much I agree with Sinful in that the dividing line is somewhere around the turn of the century.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Well for historians (speaking as one), the year 1453 tends to get a lot of worship and by and large gets used as a dividing line. However, real life is just too messy. It's true 1453 was a rather explosive year, and the events were certainly a motive factor in the development of the Rennasance, but some of the major trends were already rolling, albeit slowly.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I was more thinking of the difference between the dark ages and the middle ages. I find the two terms to evoke very different images in my mind when it comes to Europe.

Also I learned something that makes me feel like I missed a golden opportunity storywise for Ranger's character. Apparently the typical punishment for treason in the Eastern Roman Empire would have been blinding rather than death. Granted I would have had to convince ranger to play a sort of blind character but it would have made for an interesting story.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Well, technically all divisions of time are arbitrary. These ones are just more so than usual. TBH, those two terms overlap quite a bit but are specifically designed to invoke different images more as kind of an effort at controlling how people think of the times rather than any actual qualitative reason, heh.

As for blinding, you'd have known that if you'd play CK2 like we do ;) That said it was actually fairly rare for high nobles to have it happen to the, but it did happen a lot of notable times.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I understand that but it still bothers me for some reason. Perhaps it's just that they present Europe as a conglomeration of such a long time period, rather than focusing on a briefer time period. Basically they took fluffy bits from the different periods and stuck them together into a very confusing and hideous vozhd.

Yeah well I don't have the game and won't be getting it anytime soon, since I honestly don't play computer games anymore. Anyways I doubt if Ariadne would have been considered a high noble, plus her favorite cousin Anna just might have enough pull to get her not executed in her place. Unless she's secretly evil and actually suggested it but that sounds mean even by my standards.

Also, you might like this if you don't already know about it.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That tempts me to reinstall and play.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I'm currently fixated on a mod that's post-apocalyptic but in the same bent as Fallout, with wacky occurrences such as a cthulu cult, a group that worships the Founding Fathers as Gods, etc, heh. Also a new expansion comes out Tuesday which makes me meh because I don't want to update and ruin my save files.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

What's the new update? Though, with the Old Gods update I don't know what official stuff could actually draw me in.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Most of the important stuff is in the free patch. New alliance system (marriage just gets non-aggression pact automatically, getting a more formal alliance is explicit). Some adjustments to the education system. Vassals are now more uppity. A strong Duke, for instance, will be mad if not on the council, regardless of ability. The actual DLC content focuses on your council now having politics and having schemes of their own, and presumably even more options for vassals.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

That fallout type mod sounds incredibly hilarious, makes me wonder how I can fit Ctulhu into the world of darkness.

Anyways working on maps as I have been lately has made me really want to not just focus on London. So don't be surprised if some of you end up in incredibly odd places, London will still probably be home base so to speak but exploring sounds fun too.

Here's the finished map of mortal Europe: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/picture.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=16476

And here's the rough draft for supernatural Europe: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/picture.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=16477

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Would love to start stepping foot out of London. Ceit will have to be rather crafty to get around and keep her strength up. Though, if we go with our original plan, I don't see that being an issue. Iberia, Africa, Rome...

And your supernatural map isn't labelled.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah I've been working on ways to get Ceit and Vezina around their flaws. I've come up with a few which should work. But yeah so many interesting places to go and visit, some of which aren't even on the map.

Yes, that's why I called it a rough draft. I still need to work out a little more of the color scheme before I label since it's hard to label things in the black. With a little work you can piece together the princes clan in most places. Blue Lasombra, red Brujah, yellow Tzimisce, purple Ventrue, green toreador, light grey other high clan, white low clan, orange Ashirra, black other supernatural.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

That fallout type mod sounds incredibly hilarious, makes me wonder how I can fit Ctulhu into the world of darkness.

Anyways working on maps as I have been lately has made me really want to not just focus on London. So don't be surprised if some of you end up in incredibly odd places, London will still probably be home base so to speak but exploring sounds fun too.

Here's the finished map of mortal Europe: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/picture.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=16476

And here's the rough draft for supernatural Europe: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/picture.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=16477
Fitting Cthulhu into WoD is not going to be hard leap. It just threatens to eclipse the Antediluvians in terms of power.

Vezina's trying so hard to carve out a domain, I wonder what it would take to get her to move? An obsession with hunting down the Tremere perhaps?

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Unless it is one of the antediluvians, I think he could make a decent replacement for Malkav. Though of greater importance is figuring out where Cowthulhu fits, along with his friends Yak-sothoth and Horsetur.

Sounds like a pretty good motivation to me, though I should probably worry about finishing the story arc Vezina is currently on first. Still it makes for interesting future ideas once her domain is established.

Also if you haven't found a way to check out the new dark ages book this has all the important bits. Like I said somethings I hate, some I like and there's a lot that either didn't change or I'm neutral on it.

EDIT: Does anybody else find it odd that vampire princedoms aren't hereditary. I mean they make all this fuss about how modern camarilla society is based on their society in the middle ages. I realize vampires don't really need an heir since they don't plan on dying but it still strikes me as odd.

It also bothers me that they all seem dead set on using the exact same titles no matter what their heritage might be, especially in the dark ages. I personally think it would be cool if lasombra, at least in sea of shadows, used religious terms instead of prince. The vampires in New Carthage using byzantine terms like doux or despot instead of prince. And so on and so forth.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Makes sense, with regards to the different titles. Though maybe 'Prince' became the preferred term based on a convention of elders (possibly, iunno).

Inheritance among a society of immortals doesn't make much sense, but they seem to naturally go towards seniority as the determining factor - whoever is closest to Caine.