What's new

OOC thread

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: OOC thread

Haven't we already mostly established that White Wolf hasn't gone too in depth with actual history for their game. They probly don't even take other cultures into account. Why wouldn't a Middle Eastern vampiric leader be called a Sultan?

I'm totally game for changing that system for this particular game if we do end up travelling elsewhere.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I can create plausible scenarios either way. I normally wouldn't argue too much, but I think there might be a larger issue of perspective. The way I see it, the vampire society isn't drawing these titles from the mortal realm, the mortals are drawing the titles from vampire society. This works even better if you take "prince" simply to mean "the first", as it originated in Rome. That said as well, maybe in vampiric society the title isn't translated because it simply *is*. Mortals who have no idea where these concepts came from are the ones who translated it, to make it easier for the inferior mortal mind to work with ;)

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"The First" is a good concept. I could see that being the thing translated from whatever language vampiric society is using, rather than a regional, mortal title.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Pick and choose :p

I suppose better than nothing. I would say though even in the Muslim world there was an odd, lingering fascination with Rome, where the tradition started. At least mortally. I still would argue the mortals are the ones doing the copying ;)

Though all this said, on a clan by clan basis I can see organization being different. The ones that take on a religious bent are definitely the exception though. I feel as if the majority of vampiric rulers want to focus on a cult of personality as simply the most effective tool in maintaining order. Vampire psychology seems a lot less flexible than mortal psychology, and might makes right has a disproportionate influence.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, I guess I'm wrong since apparently every culture in the world uses prince or whatever their languages equivalent of prince is. Oh well back to posting or farting around on the internet since I don't really feel like doing the latter.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Don't worry, I for one am too busy playing XCOM 2 to notice posts or lack thereof ;) I've spent 18 of the past 36 hours of my life doing that, heh.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I just lost my favorite soldier, and my best sniper is still captured somewhere.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I started my 2nd go a few hours ago. Didn't lose on my first, and most of my important people were just fine, but I saw the writing on the wall that my research preferences had been wrong when I was facing 8 enemies in one turn, advanced variants, and all but the very late game units, with my team of 5 with no upgrades...

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

All this talk of XCOM in a vampire thread has me imagining our PCs in modern nights as some sort of vampiric suicide squad sent to destroy the mothership.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Aliens don't exist. Keep thy chocolate out of mine peanut butter. If you just want to imagine it in your mind though I guess that's fine.

Anyways my baby brother just bought my christmas/birthday present yesterday. Late as usual but I don't mind since he actually gets me things I actually enjoy. A bit out of the blue but he bought me crusader kings 2 and all of the DLC, including conclave. It's out of the blue because I hadn't even mentioned the game to him before, he just figured it would be something I like.

Still haven't played yet since I haven't had the time but I figured I would mention that the game and a bunch of the DLc's are apparently on sale at steam for the next few days. So you may want to see if there's anything you want but don't have for cheap. I now return you to your regularly sccheduled waiting.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I'll make a note that we won't hear from you again for a month or so ;)

That said, they typically do that whenever a new expansion comes out, and also some strange Lunar New Year sale this year. I also have everything pretty much except the one that came out last week and the newest one typically isn't discounted, so prob will wait longer for it.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

My brother actually got me everything including conclave though I honestly kind of wish he hadn't wasted his money. I guess wasted might be kind of a harsh term since he seems to like it but I'm honestly finding it kind of boring after my first play through. So you probably don't need to worry about me disappearing for a month after all.

The game's not bad, I like the part about building your dynasty, but I find everything going on in between to be pretty uninteresting. I like the music, the maps are decent enough, and they do a good job of actually recreating the historical figures. I absolutely hate the warfare when it happens, the interface is honestly pretty poor, and the tutorial is utterly useless. If I had to rate it I would give it a 6.5 out of 10, granted I've never given a game anything above a 7.5.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

To be fair, conclave came out a few weeks ago and redid warfare. They might go back if more people dislike it. The focus is really on the dynasty aspect though. I always prefer to self-insert and see how big a personal Empire I can get.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I think the warfare aspect of the game is what's kept me away for so long. It certainly seems like an awesome game for the dynasty aspects, but I keep turning to Total War again and again because of the actual conflict.

That and Total War has their warhammer one coming out in a few months with the vampire counts as a playable faction.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't think the conclave is the problem warfare wise, since I tried it with that DLC turned off. I guess I just wish the warfare felt a bit more involved though it's not really the focus of the game so I understand why it isn't.

The part that annoys me the most about the warfare is that even if your made the commander of the unit by your liege you don't actually get to control the unit. It can be pretty annoying to watch your small army march right into a larger one rather than maneuvering around to pick up the rest before attacking.

Total War is much better in that respect but it kills my computer so I'll just have to live with this. The dynasty aspect and the sometimes silly occurrences, such as the christian invasion of Muslim Spain through Africa, is decently entertaining. Also Charlemagne has a serious problem with surviving in my games it seems, he's yet to make it more than a year.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Here's the thing about CK2, you get half the features of each DLC without having the DLC installed, they come with the patch. The patch includes the warfare changes. This is how they make us addicted to buying DLC to unlock full features.

That said, CK2 is also the best when you have no liege.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Ah, well I guess that makes sense though I didn't really enjoy the warfare in the demo either and I had that long before conclave even existed.

I do agree that it's more enjoyable without a liege, my favorite game so far was playing the Hanseatic League. Granted the HRE is technically their liege you don't really have to listen to him as a merchant republic though.

I haven't actually tried the create your own ruler thing yet, I've been having fun trying to get my actual ancestors to outdo the Carolingians. Though it took me a while to find them since they made them all Capets, which is technically wrong since the Capets were a cadet branch of the Robertines.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Heh, well I guess that's something. As far back as I know my ancestors were industrial workers in Frankfurt or Berlin :p

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Well if you have any Irish blood, it's very likely you would be related to one of the high kings. Admittedly it's not as exciting when everyone else with Irish blood can say the same thing though.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I'm about 1/3 Irish, most of the rest German, with a bit of Welsh and a very tiny bit of Native America. For people that say 1/3 isn't a valid ancestry, it is when you average numbers of parents who already had differing combos going back a few generations :p