What's new

Overquest - What if the good guys had already lost?

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Overquest - What if the good guys had already lost?

Tagging interested but not clear confirm here. Feeling uncertain about this.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Though it puts me at risk of being That Little Shit, I'd still count 4th Ed as well. Mind you, I am not saying it was necessarily a good thing, nor am I saying it was a bad thing. But I'd still count it.
Some people liked 4th edition. It's very in vogue to put it down, and yes it was completely at odds with the feel of what a typical DnD experience was, but after reading it, I still think people could have FUN playing it. And that's all that really matters.

As for this game, I'm not opposed to the premise, but starting at high level isn't all that interesting for me, especially if its a scenario where we're meant to lose a bit for lewd times. If it were low level (1 or 2 to start) it's be more appealing for me.

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I guess you could count me as interested. Regardless of the system we use, I'm sure I can figure it out.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Some people liked 4th edition. It's very in vogue to put it down, and yes it was completely at odds with the feel of what a typical DnD experience was, but after reading it, I still think people could have FUN playing it. And that's all that really matters.

As for this game, I'm not opposed to the premise, but starting at high level isn't all that interesting for me, especially if its a scenario where we're meant to lose a bit for lewd times. If it were low level (1 or 2 to start) it's be more appealing for me.
D&D 4.0 was fine.. if it hadn't been D&D 4.0 but 'warcrafts tabletop rpg action' or somesuch.

Would people generally prefer a low level start?

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score

I'm good with any. I've played at all levels. And admittedly at high levels it'd probably be pretty hard for us to not be able to jump rails really easily.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm fine with letting you start as low level, perhaps overidealistic heroes, but then it might lead to quick gameovers. As I said, I'm not washy, but flexible on details, I just want to play a 'smart' villain for a proper change, ya dig? ^^

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Perhaps a mid level start, then?

Zilrax

Reputation score

Well, that definitely encourages me to flex the ol magic muscles then. Been awhile since I've gotten to do a heavy rebellion against those odds. Course, depending how high is high level I can pull some pretty heavy guns.

Also if anyone needs a hand with char creation for high level I can lend a hand, I've a lot of experience with it.

That being said, given that some of our interested parties are a bit new to the game, jumping right into high level play might not go over well. It's kinda like buying a level 100 account in an MMO. Yeah, you're a badass, but you'll probably still get wiped a lot because you don't have the experience in how to use it properly. Being able to grow up into it can make a big difference.

So either way I'm good but it might be best for them to go along low levels.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Personally I would not be against a low level start either, as long as it doesn't means we'll get rekt by everything. Could use the playing experience as far as the system goes, since I never really played things with a d20 system.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hmmmm going to give an confirm after thinking over this some more. Planning on Making Cleric with Life Domain if using DnD 5e.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Pervy said pathfinder, tho.

Zilrax

Reputation score

Can still do a life based cleric in pathfinder but if you wanna go heal bot, you're gonna have a rough time of it. Healbot is not effective in first party. You still need healing but only the Heal spell itself heals enough to be more than bailing a canoe with a thimble.

IF you wanna do healbot, maybe try to convince Pervy to let you use the Vitalist. Pretty much the only healer worth a damn, and they pair incredibly well with other off healers like Paladins.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Pervy said pathfinder, tho.
Haven't used Pathfinder in forever. So no idea where what or how with it ^^. So this will be interesting. Yeah Pervy did say that in this post. 16. So my bad.

Can still do a life based cleric in pathfinder but if you wanna go heal bot, you're gonna have a rough time of it. Healbot is not effective in first party. You still need healing but only the Heal spell itself heals enough to be more than bailing a canoe with a thimble.

IF you wanna do healbot, maybe try to convince Pervy to let you use the Vitalist. Pretty much the only healer worth a damn, and they pair incredibly well with other off healers like Paladins.
Vitalist?

Also, plea for help, quick guide on building Heal Bot + Radiant DMG combo?

Zilrax

Reputation score

I'm not the msot familiar with 5e clerics, so why don't you tell me what you want to do, and then I'll try and help you make the closest approximation?

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm not the msot familiar with 5e clerics, so why don't you tell me what you want to do, and then I'll try and help you make the closest approximation?
Have Reactive Spells that let me heal peepz when they take good amount of damage.

Add my Modifiers to Rolls.

Somehow get Maxed out Die Results when casting Healing Spells. (Not Doable in 5e.)

Finally have a good selection of Radiant, Acid, and Fire Damage Spells. +Force if possible.

Zilrax

Reputation score

So a combination nuke machine and heal machine? That's... Probably not doable in a way that doesn't make both sides mediocre at best.

In pathfinder at least, Clerics tend to be more geared towards melee combat, and using a lot of self buffs and utility spells. Their healing isn't particularily spectacular due to inability to match or outpace damage, meaning you prevent more damage in the long run by killing the enemy faster than trying to be reactive. They're powerful, but healing is more of an after thought for them.

The Vitalist may be the closest one can get to what you want. They're a psionic healing class who can clone their healing spells onto several allies and can provide massive temp hp boosts, effectively overhealing allies. As psionic characters they can get other psionic classes spells via feats, so it's possible to pick up powers like Energy Blast.

They're nicest trick is the ability to reallocate healing. Say you're linked to two people. One too 5 damage, the other took 4. The one who took 5 drinks a healing potion, and heals himself for 6. Normally that extra 1 is wasted. But a vitalist can instead divide the healing up. He can give the person 5 and give the other injured person the remaining 1, or can give both 3 or etc. This makes AOE heals like Channel Energy from the Clerics actually useful as you can avoid wasted healing energies. And it can allow Paladins ability to swiftly heal themselves to also be used to heal allies on the fly.

They are not suited at all to physical combat at all though, unlike Clerics.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So a combination nuke machine and heal machine? That's... Probably not doable in a way that doesn't make both sides mediocre at best.

In pathfinder at least, Clerics tend to be more geared towards melee combat, and using a lot of self buffs and utility spells. Their healing isn't particularily spectacular due to inability to match or outpace damage, meaning you prevent more damage in the long run by killing the enemy faster than trying to be reactive. They're powerful, but healing is more of an after thought for them.

The Vitalist may be the closest one can get to what you want. They're a psionic healing class who can clone their healing spells onto several allies and can provide massive temp hp boosts, effectively overhealing allies. As psionic characters they can get other psionic classes spells via feats, so it's possible to pick up powers like Energy Blast.

They're nicest trick is the ability to reallocate healing. Say you're linked to two people. One too 5 damage, the other took 4. The one who took 5 drinks a healing potion, and heals himself for 6. Normally that extra 1 is wasted. But a vitalist can instead divide the healing up. He can give the person 5 and give the other injured person the remaining 1, or can give both 3 or etc. This makes AOE heals like Channel Energy from the Clerics actually useful as you can avoid wasted healing energies. And it can allow Paladins ability to swiftly heal themselves to also be used to heal allies on the fly.

They are not suited at all to physical combat at all though, unlike Clerics.
Vitalist sounds like the ticket then for a Pathfinder game.

As for doing both, nah, I just want the ability to say - All alone, can I still fight? Sort of situation.

Zilrax

Reputation score

Vitalist isn't... The best for solo acts, they're best in the support role but they can do some damage. By default, they can steal life with a touch attack. Life Leech archetyped ones are more offensively oriented at the cost of some support capacity.

That being said, killing a Vitalist can be a huge pain because they don't need to be near the people they are healing. A Vitalist is pretty effective even at 100+feet away.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Vitalist isn't... The best for solo acts, they're best in the support role but they can do some damage. By default, they can steal life with a touch attack. Life Leech archetyped ones are more offensively oriented at the cost of some support capacity.

That being said, killing a Vitalist can be a huge pain because they don't need to be near the people they are healing. A Vitalist is pretty effective even at 100+feet away.
Erm, I don't plan to be Rambo with the Vitalist.

Hmm, trying to phrase it as this "I can live for 2 turns without my party around me while fighting equal challenge rating creatures or below." That sort of thing. Hopefully 2 turns is enough time for Allies to rescue my ass.

Zilrax

Reputation score

You probably can survive that. Vitalists can wear armor, it doesn't affect their powers, and they can do some pretty hefty buffs, plus the health differential from Steal Health. Between their version of BArkskin, their version of Vigor and their version of Resist energy, it's pretty feasible to be difficult to take down.

And depending what the party make up is, and whats allowed, bodyguarding maybe something I can do.