What's new

Pathos Facility - REALLY Old Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Pathos Facility

Bell took a hand off the keyboard to wave behind her at Koike's general direction, having seen him come in on the reflection of the monitor.

"Hey there," she purrs. "What's up?"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Koike returned the wave as best he could, since he'd stopped to get another cup of coffee along the way. "Not much, although I did want to speak with you again, now that I'm not quite as distracted. Had some things that I needed to go over with the guys. Mostly telling them what the higher ups in the company don't want us doing."

He took a swallow from his mug before he continued. "One thing I always try to do when I work with a group is to try to get an understanding of the personalities and interests of those I'm going to be working with. Jack and Gil, I've known for a bit, so I've already got an idea about them. You, on the other hand...We've just met."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Bell answers without turning around, her fingers flying over the keyboard without slowing. "Sounds fair, what do you want to know?"

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Koike paused to think, then replied, "First thing I really ought to ask, are there any subjects that are particularly touchy? Probably best to know what to avoid."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Bell's hands stop, hovering above the keyboard as she replies in a flat tone. "My... Big sister, she was a manatech on one of the stations we lost. Before anyone knew what was going on." She looks like she's going to say more, but after a few seconds of quiet her hands start typing again.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Koike merely stopped. Although his voice was still quiet, as usual, there was steel in his tone. Those who knew him well would realize that this was a very dangerous tone. "Damn those politicians. And damn those commanders who agreed with them."

For a moment, it seemed like he might say something more, but when he did finally speak, it was in the same quiet, calm voice that he'd used the night before. "Well, perhaps a slight change...Any particular interests that you might have?"

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jack returned to his room and began fiddling with various object around the place, taking some out of a bag he had brought with him, some from the bathroom, and still others one might wonder just HOW he had gotten them. Slowly he began to piece together some kind of contraption, wiring it with what almost seemed like fiber optics. After about twenty minutes or so, he was seemingly done, and turned the device on, instantly beginning to passively scan for anything interesting or unusual.

While he didn't exactly expect to find much of anything around his room, the device was capable of extending it's sensory range to cover about a tenth of the facility, given it's size, meaning he could effectively scan everywhere they would be going today over the next few minutes. It also gave him time to tinker around with various other things while he waited for it to finish, one of those things seemingly having to do with the electrical sockets.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"Computers and partying mostly, though I try my best to be interested in everything." She replies, completely ignoring his first comment.

Last edited:
OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Hm..." Koike paused while he thought about his next question. His gaze more than once fell on the computer screen. He sighed briefly before he continued. "Okay, my curiousity has been raised. Mind if I ask what that program is?"

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"I'm trying to link Drow and Human computers. Its quite difficult, because they work on completely different levels. A Human computer, as I'm sure you're well aware, works on a binary system at it's core. Ones and Zeros, Yes or No, very precise, very efficient, very black-and-white. A Drow computer uses nothing like that, its based on maybes and the creativity of the user. there is already a way to interface the two, but it relies on breaking down everything into binary before sending it across either way, which is exactly the pain it sounds like, and slows things down considerably. What I'm trying to do is teach each computer to recognize and translate the other's method, so there's no dumbing-down either way. Getting a Drow computer to recognize everything a Human one did was fairly easy, though it may just be because of greater experience on my part. Teaching a binary system to accept Maybe instead of just Yes or No, not so much. You have had trouble programming artificial Intelligence, yes? It's much the same problem as I am having, theres no gray area."

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Koike nodded. "Ah, yeah. Haven't done anything like that myself, although a couple of psych cases I helped with back on Earth might have come close. Sounds like it will be quite useful, though, when it's completed."

He glanced down into his mug, then snorted. "I probably should warn you. Expect to see me a lot with coffee, or something similar. I've spent a lot of time helping out in medical facilities, so...I learned how to go without sleep."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"I've tried coffee, couldn't stand the taste of it." Bell says with a smile. "And speaking of which, all these questions about me, lets hear something about you. I want to know more about... Well, all the stuff you've done. Pull up a chair." She says, stopping her typing and swiveling around, only to realize she was sitting in the only chair in the room. "Right, no other chairs, how about a walk then?"

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Koike nodded. "That works, I guess. As for what I've done..."

Short version. "I've spent a lot of time in medical facilities. My mother was a technician. She handled doing X-Rays and the like. My father was also working in medical facilities, so...Kind of a large part of my life. About six years ago, I started helping out with things myself. Unofficially, of course, since I wasn't old enough to be hired. Once Doctor Shiraishi's paper came out, I spent quite a bit of time working with Halsey Corp's Sociological Examination Committee. Normally, we just call it the SEC." He made a brushing motion with his hand at this point.

"Because of my connection to Doctor Shiraishi, I've dealt with AAD quite a bit. I suspect that's why I was asked to handle this facility until he can finish up that little problem that cropped up prior to when he was to head out this way."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"Wow, sounds like all work and no play." Bell replied as she saved her program and followed Koike out the door.. "What day is it today, Thursday? Tomorrow night we should all go out for a night on the town. There isn't much here, but there's a couple of good bars around, I went hunting my first weekend in this place. So where are the other two off to? And how come there's just the four of us so far, is there anybody else due to arrive? This place is far too big for just four people. I gotta admit though, it is loads better than just me, I was going stir crazy before you guys showed up."

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Koike chuckled a bit. "Actually, there are a few things not work related that I've done. Among them, I've learned how to play several musical instruments.

As for staff, there probably will be a few more come in, although we were also instructed to look at hiring help locally. After all, the locals probably know the area and people better, right?

Unless I'm mistaken, the others are probably finishing getting settled in."

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

After a walk in which Bell showed most of the area to Koike, the pair returned to the facility. By this point, the sky was beginning to darken, as evening set in. During the day, Koike had gotten a feel for areas of the town that might need to be patrolled carefully.

As for the others, Jack's scan had some anomalous signatures, but there wasn't a good way to identify them. Gil likely would have found the gaming equipment, both electronic and physical, in the first floor lounge.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"Well, that's about all there is around here." Bell says as her and Koike get back to the facility. "I'm going to go grab a quick bite, see you later!" She calls back as she heads first for the washroom and then the dining room.

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jack had decided the proper course of action would be to simply talk to Koike in the morning of a plan to work with the readings he had found. Being's the hour it was, he decided to head out and get some food, and entered the cafeteria, completely unaware that he was likely about to run into Bell again.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Bell is sitting at the table, eating a bowl of cereal and reading a rather large manual. She looks up as he enters, smiling warmly. "Hey there, grab some food and have a seat, tell Bell where you've been hiding all day."

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jack nods over to her, grabbing himself some food to eat then sits down across from Bell. "Good evening. Ah, I've been trying to explore around a little and settling into my quarters most of the day. Sort of lost track of time. My apologies, have you been looking for me?"

Status
Not open for further replies.