Previous game stuff (to be archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Battle for Ascension (interest check)

So will each time we submit the commands, is a new round? Or will we just coach them before they go in and the entire battle will be based off the list?
The latter, battles will take up only a part of a game round, you submit your short list of orders, and they fight out the entire battle. Because of this, I don't think it'll seem particularly pokemon-esque.

Vina-Fran

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Hehe, I was thinking of pokemon too. So we will become aquainted with several familiars and pick ours to use, or create our own?

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

You'll be researching on summon-able creatures and through your research decide what to summon, most likely. The actual research requires a little luck and digging as different bookcases result on rolls on different tables to see what you find, so different cases give you different chances of finding different things etc.

The end result is ideally you find out information about what you're summoning, it's strengths, weaknesses abilities etc and the method of summoning them, although there's no guarantee you'll get all of the above information on any one thing and may be forced to try and summon something you have incomplete knowledge of in order to protect yourself.

So, no, all the summon-able creatures are predetermined, and not to be confused with the familiars of the master, who while they may even be the same type of create as some of the things you can summon, will not be the same one as you summon.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

@Xiv + Inc
Come on you two, stop taunting each other. Although there was a bit of confusion about it, Inc answered everything more completely than necessary. Even mentioning about the individual stats of the summons (which we won't know) that will be behind the scenes.

@Pokemon references:
Not everything that summons stuff to fight is pokemon. There were lots of other things before pokemon that had similar concepts, and some of them were insanely better.

As for actual play, it will be more akin to summoning our guardian, giving it brisk orders, then standing back and watching the battle play out, rather than sitting there ordering it around what attack to use. Read previous descriptions about possible orders to get an idea for the kinds of things that can be suggested as orders.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Well, the pokemon referance was to the thought that you would be commanding them every turn. Since it's more going to be that the summons are going to be choosing their own actions within your guidelines, it should be a bit more interesting while making combat faster as well.

I do have a quick question though, what sort of setting is the game set in? Obviously it's going to have some element of fantasy with magic and summoning and such, but is it medival fantasy?

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, the pokemon referance was to the thought that you would be commanding them every turn. Since it's more going to be that the summons are going to be choosing their own actions within your guidelines, it should be a bit more interesting while making combat faster as well.

I do have a quick question though, what sort of setting is the game set in? Obviously it's going to have some element of fantasy with magic and summoning and such, but is it medival fantasy?
That's an interesting point. Modern Fantasy could be interesting as well.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

As usual, I haven't actually decided this part, because it's a closed world and thus ambiguous. But I think in this case, I prefer a modern setting.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Character Sheets

Please fill this in if you would like to play. If you have any questions please post them in the OOC thread or PM them.

Code:
[b]Character Name[/b]:
[b]Forum Account[/b]:

[b]Magic Speciality[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Appearance[/b]: (pic or description)

[b]Backround[/b]:

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Character Sheets

Please fill this in if you would like to play. If you have any questions please post them in the OOC thread or PM them.

Code:
[b]Character Name[/b]:
[b]Forum Account[/b]:

[b]Magic Speciality[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Appearance[/b]: (pic or description)

[b]Backround[/b]:
*twitch* aren't code tags supposed to not make things go bold? :/

And reminder, please PM about magic spec.

Last edited:
OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Battle for Ascension OOC Thread (former interest check thread)

So... where'd everyone go? I've had two people contact me in the last 2 days...

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

I've been busy with school, but I've finished my character sheet. I'll post it once I get back from class.

Reputation score

I don't have an idea for a character yet, so I'm waiting for other people to post theirs; that usually helps kick-start my brain.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score
Re: Character Sheets

Character Name: Deneb
Forum Account: Maikochan

Magic Speciality: Transformation and Animation
Appearance: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/album.php?albumid=268&pictureid=4884

Backround:[sic]
Deneb is the youngest daughter in a long line of sorceresses who can trace their lineage back to Circe and count such figures as Morgan le Fey and Medea in their ancestry, and even claiming to be decended from Hecate herself. Magic comes to the small girl like swimming does to a fish, so it's a small wonder that she decided to follow in her legendary ancestors' path. Despite her natural talent, especially with magicks that alter forms or impart a symblence of life to innanimate objects, Deneb is still inexperianced when it comes to other applications of magic. To further her study and her goal of becoming the "greatest witch to ever walk the earth", she sought out the master of the school.

Rich and talented, Deneb usually acts however she wants without thinking about consequences. She'd rather leap first and then look back to see how far she jumped. Her social interactions are much the same, Deneb saying whatever is on the top of her mind at the time without thinking about it first.

Deneb's voice of reason, patience and common sense is a magical, flying, talking, crystal pumpkin named Roger. Roger was the result of Deneb pouring a large amount of animating magic over a period of time into the crystal. The result was a permanently enchanted pumpkin with the personality of "a dehydrated cracker". Roger acts as Deneb's voice of reason, but also as her confidant, assistant (although the level of assistance he can render is limited by his lack of limbs) and photographer (Deneb placed a small digital camera in Roger when she wanted to take some pictures of herself and forgot to take it out). Roger has a stereotypical bulter-like personality and it's been commented that Roger is to Deneb the same way JARVIS is to Tony Stark. Although Roger is free willed and not bound to Deneb in any way, he still looks over the girl. Deneb has promised to animate a body for Roger once her skills improve.

Deneb's magical skills have thusfar been focused on transforming people and objects and animating objects to act as psudo-familiars. In keeping with her personality, she animates everything from hair-brushes to book stands to even her own bed. In most cases, her animation ends after about an hour, though small objects and/or objects that don't tend to do a whole lot of moving will last longer while large and/or very active objects will lose their animating magic a lot faster. Deneb's ability to transform living beings is similarly limited and requires a touch. Her common transformations are typically cosmetic ones, though a favorite of hers is reversing another person's gender or altering it to put them somewhere in between male and female.

Similarly to Roger, Deneb's use of her magic on her own body has also affected it permanently. Transformation spells cast on others typically last an hour, but when she uses the spells on herself, they last indefinitly, theoretically forever, or at least until Deneb changes her mind and wants green hair instead of blue that day.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Hrmph. Thought I'd post this, since Incubus likes it. But I'm keeping the specifics of Delilah's magic secret, for now.

Name: Delilah
Forumite: DeMatt

Magic Specialty: Enhancement
Appearance: Tall, statuesque, light brown-red hair. If you think , you won't be too far off. Though typically, around the academy she's dressed quite a bit more utilitarian - and, of course, she doesn't have quite so much bosom to show off.

Background: Daughter of a prosperous merchant family, Delilah came late to magic. Her apprenticeship at the academy interrupted plans to marry her off for political advantage... and she wants to keep it that way.

Like her parents, Delilah is ambitious, wanting to make a name for herself amongst the rich and famous. She views her magic as an extra tool - whether to improve on the goods that she ends up trading, or to better her skills at the bargaining table.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Character Name: Morgana Feytrin
Forum Account: Lurker

Magic Speciality: Dark-Based
Appearance: Smallish, black hair and violet eyes. Doesn't often wear makeup or any extra clothing beyond her uniform, but also tries not to stand out, surprisenly considering her attempts to upsur her peers achedemicly.

Backround: Growing up in the nasty part of her hometown, Morgana was acidentally responsible for several deaths for her ineptitude with her dark magics, oftem the energy being released horrificly when she was angry or scared. Forced to flee, she eventually wandered the land, living a nomadic and quiet life of solitude.

When she eventually reached the town nearest the Academy, the weeks of wandering had shown. Her control of her black arts had focused dramaticly, and her favored spell- manipulating shadows to create terrifying visages- could be said to cause nightmares to people not expecting it. She was enrolled by the Master and given a warm bed and a place to call home again. Even still, she is a dark and brooding figure who prefers her company only consists of dark spirits that she draws her powers from.

Last edited:
OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I'm looking at starting this up on probably my Monday, most people's Sunday.

If you're interested, please put together a character sheet by then. Thank you.

Reputation score

Character Name: Cassandra Faust
Forum Account: The Alpacalypse

Magic Specialty: Fire Magic
Appearance: Blonde hair that reaches to the tops of her breasts when not tied up in twin-tails (a rare occurrence). Slightly less than average height, slightly larger than average bust, purple eyes. Almost never seen without elbow-length black gloves, or her lucky locket. Other than that, will wear whatever the occasion calls for, from lingerie to tank top and jeans to extravagant evening gown.

Background:At the age of 16 Cassandra first demonstrated an ability to control fire (which is fairly old, as far as first manifestations go). However, the first time she showed such an ability, it was nearly flawless. The flames danced at her very whim, forming shapes, letters, changing colors, and never burning out of control and hurting anyone. At first she could only control flames already burning, but she soon was able to create and control her own fires. Shortly thereafter, she applied to the Magic "Academy" and was rejected. Undeterred, she applied again, and again, being rejected each time. Far from home and running low on coin, the girl was a few days away from giving up and returning to her village. It wasn't until a chance encounter with the master of the school that her fortune finally changed. She quite literally (and she swears to this day accidentally) bumped into him in the market. The master must have seen something in the budding student, for he asked her if she would be interested in becoming his apprentice, a question she couldn't answer "yes!" to quickly or loudly enough.

Prone to occasional, yet violent bursts of anger, particularly towards people she feels are acting "haughty". She is also hardworking, eager to learn, and quite honest, about herself, her thoughts, and her ambition to become the best damn fire mage the world had ever seen.

Vina-Fran

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Character Name: Hai
Forum Account: Vina-Fran

Magic Speciality: Light
Appearance: Tiny girl with dirty blonde curls and pale blue eyes that are often skyward. Her round fair face is often in a hopeful but lost look. Once caught daydreaming she'll burst into a sheepish smile and look around at her surroundings. She chooses to wear pastel colors, that hang losely from her slender frame. She stands three inches over five foot, and prefers the comfort of slippers, or barefoot if the weather permits. She often wanders off and reappears just as suddenly and silently.

Backround: Hai is named by the first word she uttered to those who discovered her wandering the grounds. She can't rightly recall anything about herself, but that doesn't bother her. She knows for a fact she fell down, but not sure from where or how high. She's often caught looking skyward, even inside, and lost in thought. Without being directly addressed, she'll silently listen, and eventually drift off into her own world. The only thing that seems to ground her is confrontations and conflicts, often being brought to tears as she tries to calm the participants involved. However, any real teasing toward her she easily shrugs off with a giggle or loses herself in her own thoughts. Her focus on magic is fleeting, but when she does focus, it sparks to life, and then sputters out. She has come to a happy medium of being in a trance-like state when wielding the art, though it often leaves her unaware of anything not dealing with the spell.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

What's the word for blood magic?

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I don't know if there is a word, per se.

There's Mahotsukai, which is used in rokugan, but it doesn't actually translate to anything specific, I can't quite find a translation, but I think it just means something like "sorcerer". It's only within the setting that it really carries such negative implications.

Edit:
Mahoutsukai literally translates to magic user.

Status
Not open for further replies.