Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Cassandra's Thread

You retrieve three books, your inventory has been updated.

Map:

Char Sheet:
Character Name: Cassandra Faust
Forum Account: The Alpacalypse

Magic Speciality: Fire
Health: 100%
Mage Armour: (inactive)
Mana: 100%

Summon: (none)

Inventory:
Book: Intro to Summoning 3
Book: Basics of Demons
Book: The Nymph vol 2
(empty)
(empty)

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Morgana's Thread

Map:

Char Sheet:
Character Name: Morgana Feytrin
Forum Account: Lurker

Magic Speciality: Dark-Based

Inventory:
Book: The Dryad 1
Book: The Nymph 1
Book: The Bain Sidhe 1
(empty)
(empty)

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Deneb's Thread

Map:

Char Sheet:
Character Name: Deneb
Forum Account: Maikochan

Magic Speciality: Transformation and Animation

Inventory:
Book: Basics of Fae
Book: Basics of Angels
Book: Basics of Demons
(empty)
(empty)

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Lillian's Thread

Map:

Char Sheet:
Character Name: Lillian Carol
Forum Account: Kathy

Magic Speciality: Runecasting -Healing (pending)

Inventory:
Book: Intro to Summoning 1
Book: Intro to Summoning 2
(empty)
(empty)

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Hai's Thread

Map:

Char Sheet:
Character Name: Hai
Forum Account: Vina-Fran

Magic Speciality: Light

Inventory:
Book: Basics of Fae
Book: Basics of Demihumans
(empty)
(empty)

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Game Rules and Contest Rules

That's what I was asking you before XD;

Thanks for clarifying, this makes it a lot easier.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

not... quite... sure... how I ended up there... but whatever.

Lillian searches the center bookcase once more to see if any other unique books are there, then heads up and searches the northern bookcase (the 2 space wide horizontal one) twice.

After that, she heads to leave the library.

I'd give specific space movements again, but it seems as if that's almost a futile gesture since I didn't end my turn where my movements would've stopped me last time anyhow.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Game Start! (At the summoning library)

(Bit of a slow start, but hopefully things will pick up.)

Lilly scampered around the library for another moment, almost sniffing out the books that she wanted, as she quietly hugged each one to herself with a tight squeeze. She adored books. Out of all her ditzy clumsiness, she'd never dropped a book, and seemed to have catlike reflexes about rescuing any book in danger.

Blowing a bit of dust off the books she had, she quickly called out, "What's everyone finding? It'd be useless for our little study group to bring the same stuff over and over... Let's grab a couple more books each, then we'll rush off... We'll meet up at the lounge, then spend a bit of time studying together before we split off and continue research on our own. Alright everyone?"

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

not... quite... sure... how I ended up there... but whatever.
It's easy, I approximated your move from your actual start position, rather than a random square you decided you'd start in. There's no need to start being an ass about it.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Delilah's Thread

Eh? Nurse Flora?

Between her own impatience, and just a little less talent than she thought she had, Delilah has recent memories of the plant-healer, soothing her burns after a "heating" rune turned out to be a "burning" rune. Delilah also has recent memories of being scolded by said plant-healer, being told "not to move! Not so much as a single muscle till I say so!" while sitting with a poultice on her hands.

Tchah, she's just waiting to heal the losers. I wanna see what's in these books.

Giving the nurse a polite nod as she goes past, Delilah continues down the Grand Stairway, still headed for her bedroom.

(Move West 2 squares.
(Move North 4 squares.
(Move Down 1 square.
(Move North 3 squares.)

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

It's easy, I approximated your move from your actual start position, rather than a random square you decided you'd start in. There's no need to start being an ass about it.
(erm okay... Well, I walk and grab books, then walk out. I'm heading towards the stairway so we can go to the lounge, I guess.)

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

(erm okay... Well, I walk and grab books, then walk out. I'm heading towards the stairway so we can go to the lounge, I guess.)
Could I get precise squares please? The only times hereafter you won't end up exactly where you predict would be if your move ends in you in a square occupied by another.

Reputation score
Re: Game Start! (At the summoning library)

"I've got...let's see...." Cassandra looks at the spines of the three books in her arms, dusting one of them off to read the title. Fortunately, it was relatively quiet, otherwise she probably would have had to yell to be heard by Deneb, as she was on the other side of the room. As it was, the distance between them caused her to raise her voice slightly. "Intro to Summoning Three and Basics of Demons from the Beginner's Section, and The Nymph, Volume Two from the Advanced Section."

"What about you Lilly?" She didn't up from her books until after she'd leaned around the corner of the bookcase she was standing next to and spoke in Deneb's general direction. "And you, Deneb?" She then noticed that Lilly was standing right on the other side of the bookcase. "Oh, sorry about that, Lilly. Didn't mean to speak over you. Well, through you. Oh, you know what I mean." She smiled warmly at the dark-haired mage.

Last edited:
OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Battle for Ascension OOC Thread (former interest check thread)

...hello?

Is anyone there?

This is a pretty poor showing, 3 people have posted, 2 have actually submitted their actions for the turn, and only one has submitted their complete actions in the form I asked.

If things don't pick up, I'll stop bothering trying to run a game here.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Schoolwork = me creative dead... at the moment. I'll try to get a post up tonight though.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't even know where I'm at anymore to submit proper walking around stuffs. As for the others. Yeah, I guess this game died before it even had a chance to get any momentum.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

I think the problem is, it's a minimum of three turns (grab books in summoning library, study books at summoning library desk, cast summon in/near summoning library) before anybody can do anything to any other player that's not fluff. And at one update per week, that's most of a month gone by.

For a structured, rule-based system like this, you need a much more frequent update schedule - once a day would be preferable, if you didn't just move to running it over a chat protocol and putting out "updates" every few minutes. Each turn has a limited set of actions, which means people don't need to think as much about what they'd like their character to do, and can easily plot out what future turns will look like.

A freeform system, like MGI, can work with a slower update schedule, because a given update can cover anything from a few seconds to a big chunk of a day, depending on what the players and the DM are up to.

So... if you want my two cents' worth... declare - NOW - that you're moving to a much more frequent update schedule, and the next update will be coming one time period from now. If anybody doesn't post, then they don't move for the turn. Cut down on the description, or pre-write it - you've got one character who's triggered anything more complicated than "you retrieve three books", and that was merely a generic description of an NPC which you can copy for anyone else who spots that NPC.

I get the feeling that you were trying to create a system of about the same complexity as ODiC, maybe a little more... if you don't mind me tooting my own horn, you could look at some of the threads there for clues as to how to update more easily, e.g. everyone got the same start-text, the same first-encounter text, fairly similar second-encounter text, etc. etc.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I don't even know where I'm at anymore to submit proper walking around stuffs. As for the others. Yeah, I guess this game died before it even had a chance to get any momentum.
There is a map. There is a key. Use key to identify which colour is yours. The @ symbol responding to your colour is you.

I think the problem is, it's a minimum of three turns (grab books in summoning library, study books at summoning library desk, cast summon in/near summoning library) before anybody can do anything to any other player that's not fluff. And at one update per week, that's most of a month gone by.

For a structured, rule-based system like this, you need a much more frequent update schedule - once a day would be preferable, if you didn't just move to running it over a chat protocol and putting out "updates" every few minutes. Each turn has a limited set of actions, which means people don't need to think as much about what they'd like their character to do, and can easily plot out what future turns will look like.

A freeform system, like MGI, can work with a slower update schedule, because a given update can cover anything from a few seconds to a big chunk of a day, depending on what the players and the DM are up to.

So... if you want my two cents' worth... declare - NOW - that you're moving to a much more frequent update schedule, and the next update will be coming one time period from now. If anybody doesn't post, then they don't move for the turn. Cut down on the description, or pre-write it - you've got one character who's triggered anything more complicated than "you retrieve three books", and that was merely a generic description of an NPC which you can copy for anyone else who spots that NPC.

I get the feeling that you were trying to create a system of about the same complexity as ODiC, maybe a little more... if you don't mind me tooting my own horn, you could look at some of the threads there for clues as to how to update more easily, e.g. everyone got the same start-text, the same first-encounter text, fairly similar second-encounter text, etc. etc.
I appreciate the thought and all, but the initial problem with update speed was my workload at the time, which has vanished. I'd be happy to update as often as daily, if players could keep up. Unfortunately, they can't.

I fundamentally dislike moving ahead without players because it upsets me; especially in a game such as this where the players are pitted against one another. It makes them far more likely to figure they don't have a chance and they might as well give up, for starters, which results in players dropping, which further upsets the GM and makes them less enthusiastic about updating.

Another problem is I'm spoilt as a GM. Though it has been years, I'm still used to a community that not only expects a daily update schedule, but will spend a good deal of hours in a day discussing and plotting about the game, both in and out of character. Naturally, such a community is not possible in a place where people work for a living or have serious studies, but even slowing it down, this place hardly has the same level of enthusiasm about games in general. It just feels lacklustre by comparison, and combine that with the lack of posts, and you can see my waning interest in running this circus.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

eh. As I said, I had no map on original post, and then you kinda just slammed my girl's face into the bookcase a dozen times as I tried to fudge the beginning so we could get going.

Anyhow... As for update schedual. Let's have an interest check relaunch about who would be willing to play with one update daily (possibly two until we get into major actions?).

I've already created a study group amongst the girls, hoping to abuse our ability to read over each other's shoulders, so to speak. I thought that was a fairly clever beginning.

Plus I already have quiet evil plans brewing, but nothing that can really kick off yet because we're still sitting at the library.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

(Meh, okay. Update directions (I hope this time)

Search bookcase on her right x2, search bookcase in center x1. Return Basics2 since the other girl said she had it already. Lilly is trying to make sure they have all of the basics books.

After that, Wx2, Sx2, Wx5. Should put her well outside of the library, I think. Unless something else changes her direction again.)

Status
Not open for further replies.