What's new

VN/TEXT [Pykrete Blue] Survive or Succumb - A post-apocalyptic text RPG.

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: Survive or Succumb - A post-apocalyptic text RPG.

Hey now, please don't feel silly for bringing up something you think is a bug!

Yuan-Tiki

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I've played night games before.. It.. Does have something close to
what I mentioned, but it too does the end-game text-dump when
your character cums..

Also, virgin runs?.. Grapples being annoying?..
I must come from a bizarro dimension where people could
care less about virgin runs and avoiding grapples, since playing
a game with sex in it is usually for the reason of having sex.
I can kind of see what you're talking about. Like, a game where you retain some degree of playable control during what in other games would be post battle sex scene of varying degrees of consent? I could get behind that. Can't say I can think of many that have that kind of dynamic that I've encountered.

Actually just Trap-Quest as mentioned above, now I think about it. It's not a huge game, but is quite interesting and does a few things very differently to the usual standards.

As for the second subject there, well. There's a topic, I guess? Think of it this way; In the system you're describing, your character is almost certainly trying to avoid the fate in question, right? You're not describing a battle-fuck type scenario where you deliberately use sex and sexuality as part of your attack where two people try to hump each other into submission instead of punching and stabbing each other or whatever else.

So, you've got a scenario where the character wants to avoid the fate that you the player would kind of like to see. Presumably, at least. When it comes to roleplaying, which these type of games very much are, it's often more fun the more you can get into the head of your character. The more you can suspend your disbelief and go through the challenges, setbacks and adventures your character is going through. If you're in a situation where your character is attempting to avoid a fate but you the player know that there's no *meaningful* way to do so or even really to attempt to do so, it's kind of hard to get invested in that aspect of the situation.

I guess what I'm saying is, for some people being able to potentially avoid the fate your character would like to avoid is more fun than being guaranteed to see the content your character would like to avoid being part of, even if you will enjoy that content if it does come to that, as the player? Something about the uncertainty, the immersion and the fun that can be had in that struggle? In investing in your characters motivations and hopes and seeing if you can avoid the darker fate.

And how that struggle to avoid the fate can heighten the impact of the darker fate if and when it does happen.

Does that make any sense, or am I rambling?

EDIT - To jump back to the first topic for a moment, before I forget - I would say if I understand what you're talking about and would like to see, you'd be interested in games where you retain the ability to choose actions and try to affect the situation whenever the character you are playing can potentially be doing that, rather than be dropped into cutscenes simply because you lost the battle? It would be a very different approach to a game like these, but it's definitely a gimmick I would be interested in seeing. Even if like you describe, your chances for meaningful changing events past a certain point would be limited.

Last edited:

Vintrion

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Why isn't there mid-battle rape/groping/ect in these kinds of games? It can't possibly be hard to do..
It actually is. There are a few grapple games that exist between Night Games and Lesbian Sex Battle, but the main problem in keeping the games 'sexy' is the same problems fighting games have when they try it. AI is too shitty and all they can do is random disconnected moves that never lead to the flashy combos, or AI is too stronk and instead relies on a few established chains that get boring quickly and require a singular means of counter. In both cases, once you've seen all the AI patterns and it becomes predictable, it also loses it's sense of eroticism too.

There are people even now trying to create games with mid-battle rape, but no one has quite managed to deliver a satisfying experience that also isn't bogged down by AI in one fashion or another. One such case as-is Tales of Androgyny, the stance system is rather annoyingly complex to get off with unless you're sitting there letting it happen to you.

I've never played a game however that I've masturbated too while serious playing, only ever when I've lost after seriously or purposely lost.

I'm kinda channelling my inner /d/ too much for this forum, but if you think it's something is easy, make a prototype yourself to prove it.

End-Battle Rape is just the easier way to deliver erotica for RPGs. Although for the sake of mentioning, RPG format itself is rather archaic to the point of being obsolete. There aren't many alternatives though to help fill the gaps. MGQ only worked so great because it was a linear game that provided a single new scene for each progressive battle, instead of recycling the same hundreds of mobs.

Heh. Lurkers picking fights with each other.

EDIT: What? Post deleted? Well w/e. I was going to discredit One-syota as an example. MGQ, for me at-least was more lust-themed combat than erotic attacks, a few of them were really erotic but I also had to purposely give up to experience them fully. I've unfortunately never played Erotical Night (Unsurprisingly straight-sex doesn't appeal to a fetishist like I), but from what I can tell their gameplay mirrors Night Games, this is intentional I vaguely recall. So Night Games is the mid-battle rape game you were looking for I guess. Played Parade Buster, certainly a good mix of erotic gameplay. I wonder if he actually deleted his post because he figured out my secret plan to trick him into making more lewd games to prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Vintrion

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Lurker made a response post but he deleted it. That's it.

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

So I've been unfortunately busy lately, which has delayed things quite a bit. Breaking silence because there's been some bad news; Quest may be getting abandoned, possibly entirely. Just found out, so I'm processing things before I start thinking of alternatives...

Reactions: Kat

jadex

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

The quest? So the storyline? You don't mean the whole project is getting scrapped i hope?

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

No, nono. Quest, the engine I use.

jadex

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

No, nono. Quest, the engine I use.
Ahhh, admittedly as i'm a player of hentai games instead of a creator I'm not too familiar with game making tools.

But is Quest primarily used for text based games? I've seen quite a few text hentai games, maybe they use a different engine?

blubbat0r

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Quest, QSP (Quest Soft Player =/= Quest^^) and Rags are the most commonly used engines for this kind of game that come with their own application your players need to run the game.

QSP is mostly used by the russian smut game scene as far as I am aware, at least so far most of the games I played using it were translations/fan projects based on russian games. Rags seems to mostly be a thing over on hypnopics and tfgames. Personally I found Rags to be pretty cumbersome in terms of navigation. QSP comes with hotkeys to select choices, which is pretty nice in games that require you to repeat certain things on a regular basis (combat systems, grinding chance based encounters etc.)

Lately the whole .html text game thing (overwhelmingly the "choose your own adventure" kind of deal with some notable exceptions such as Free Cities) based on twine (& sugarcube I believe?) has kind of exploded.

Of course there's always Ren'Py (mostly for VN style stuff, no idea how well it'd work for this) and other things like gamemaker or unity, although the latter ones probably require you to do a lot more framework building than the alternatives.

Last edited:
OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I used RAGs for a couple of years before Quest, never released anything on it; as you, say, it's tiresomely cumbersome, and often corrupts. Also, suffers awful bloat and slowdown after a certain point, even without pictures/audio.

I've not heard of QSP, though I would be surprised if it was available in english, from what you're saying.

I faced some problems with Twine and moved on from it; might be time to look into it again...

There's also Inform, which baffled me before; again, might be time to look into it further. Though I do own gamemaker... taking the time to build a framework from the ground up in it would undoubtedly be the most rewarding option of all, but also the most time consuming.

blubbat0r

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I used RAGs for a couple of years before Quest, never released anything on it; as you, say, it's tiresomely cumbersome, and often corrupts. Also, suffers awful bloat and slowdown after a certain point, even without pictures/audio.

I've not heard of QSP, though I would be surprised if it was available in english, from what you're saying.

I faced some problems with Twine and moved on from it; might be time to look into it again...

There's also Inform, which baffled me before; again, might be time to look into it further. Though I do own gamemaker... taking the time to build a framework from the ground up in it would undoubtedly be the most rewarding option of all, but also the most time consuming.
I've actually gone with unity... even though to this day I can't write a single line of code. :D

TheQSP client does have language options including english. There are a couple of translation projects for russian games and at least one where the english version has taken on a life of its own (Girl Life over on tfgamessite.com). I don't know about the dev tools, though, since I've never worked with it.

Last edited:
OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

So, with the future of Quest up in the air, there's little point in continuing with either project right now. As a result I've begun the steps of building something from the ground up in Gamemaker Studio instead, but it's going to be a long-ass time before I have anything to show for it.

As a result I've brought down the Patreon; it makes no sense to keep it up when I'm not able to deliver content, after all.

Quest may end up picked up by new developers, and I am tracking things on that end, but it's probably about time I try to end my reliance on these text game engines anyway. We'll see what comes of it!

But tl;dr; with Quest possibly ending, this iteration of the game will no longer be developed. I hope to return in a few months with a better version, more widely compatible, in the future. Happy new year.

eleniak

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

So, with the future of Quest up in the air, there's little point in continuing with either project right now. As a result I've begun the steps of building something from the ground up in Gamemaker Studio instead, but it's going to be a long-ass time before I have anything to show for it.

As a result I've brought down the Patreon; it makes no sense to keep it up when I'm not able to deliver content, after all.

Quest may end up picked up by new developers, and I am tracking things on that end, but it's probably about time I try to end my reliance on these text game engines anyway. We'll see what comes of it!

But tl;dr; with Quest possibly ending, this iteration of the game will no longer be developed. I hope to return in a few months with a better version, more widely compatible, in the future. Happy new year.
It's a shame we'll have to wait, you're damn good at writing bad ends(my favorite part, honestly). Oh well, good luck with the new tools. Keep us posted!

jadex

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Oh well. Its unavoidable. Not your fault. Just still disappointed.

Cyborg999

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Let something rest for long enough, I guess eventually it will move on without you. Well, when you finished with the new system let me know, 'kay? My ideas are still there and sleepily shaking off the holiday doldrums, I hope I can still make something cool for this.

Valgo

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

What a shame :(

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Shit happens! Not the end of the game, or at least, me making games. Might not even be the end of Quest, but this will definitely delay things and create further uncertainties, so, best to move on.

BlueLight

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I think you said you were moving to GameMaker but have you thought about Unity3d? It's free and while i don't like Javascript myself, it does support if you want to program in it. I think there are a few Syntax changes but mostly the name thing. It's a bit Overkill for a simple game i admit, and your games are going to be at least 20MB for all the Unity related files. But it has easy porting to just about anything.

Brassyandclassy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Looks like Quest will be staying alive for now. Last time I checked in with Pyksies though, he was practicing making stuff in Twine, so we might see a new game in Twine before coming back to Sos. Still, this is good news for everybody, and the former dev at textadventures.co.uk hinted that support for Inform and Twine would be a thing on an updated version of the website.