What's new

VN/TEXT [Pykrete Blue] Survive or Succumb - A post-apocalyptic text RPG.

raska42

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Re: Survive or Succumb - A post-apocalyptic text RPG.

@ Tonto
I was talking about the way things are set up and handled, not the specific scenes, although things like combat do feel like they were literally copied and pasted (at least to me, feel free to disagree).

After contacting Pyk, I'm actually even more convinced, but I'm gonna drop the issue, it's derailing the thread. Support or don't support him as you choose, I won't be.

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

It's been discussed privately; I know I haven't copied anything, but obviously that's difficult to prove. I would like to remind people that he's expressed a concern/opinion, and that should be respected; please, no negrep bombing.

What I will say publically, though, is having given FS a quick look again after a long-ass time, I wasn't aware it was built in an engine like Quest; namely, Inform. That alone can probably explain a lot of surface similarities.

tontoman

Demon Girl
Reputation score

@ Tonto
I was talking about the way things are set up and handled, not the specific scenes, although things like combat do feel like they were literally copied and pasted (at least to me, feel free to disagree).

After contacting Pyk, I'm actually even more convinced, but I'm gonna drop the issue, it's derailing the thread. Support or don't support him as you choose, I won't be.
Yep, and nope hadn't thought specific scenest was what you meant. I mentioned it as the thing that WOULD have made me think that way, direct copying of scenes.

When it comes to my mentioning of HP in a RPG, that's the point is that mechanics and engine aspects are often similar for games of a similar genre, as they have to stress and do similar things. That's why game engines (unity, RPG, Quest etc.) are even created and sold so the engine part doesn't have to be recreated to serve the same role. Like what would happen if he actually had used the Inform engine? Then it would be exactly the same.. just like other inform games.
So that's where I'm coming from, even if it is very similar, that's nothing new in the game world. There's only so many ways you can display information to a player.

Just wanted to clarify, that's it for me on the topic.

Last edited:

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Hey, Pykrete Blue!

Could you please elaborate on how the hunger system works? I could be wrong, but does it give you stat penalties?

Also, would it be worthwhile to put like a "Hunger Level" stat on the right-hand "Status" pane?

Cheers!

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I still always enjoy seeing new open-fuckworld adventure projects, as crudely described. Very minimal success rates sadly. Few people only do it because they thought it's an easy way for get some dosh. I could touch up more on that, but it's too messy a topic.
Some decent early-potential and the scenes aren't bad. Certainly no qualms with the notion of everything clearly having a feminine form in some manner. Inventory management could use some work though; stacking food/common items on top of each other instead of becoming separate objects. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of criticism besides some bias against the engine. As usual, the only main problem with text adventures is writing, unless you adopted a non-traditional approach of roughly describing scenes and exercising your skill in programming to provide more exotic scenarios, you're gonna be looking at writing a fuck-ton of specialized scenes the more varied you want your player characters. If you wanted more exposure there are other specialized places you could post it, but if it's just a hobby project and you especially don't want people trying to railroad your development to their desires, it's un-needed.
Thank you for the honest feedback! And I see you, cheeky light blue text... if I was going to make a cash grab game, I'd make some generated 3d graphics wank in RPG Maker. :p

I know what you mean on inventory management; I might rework things from cloned objects to using the master object and changings its display to x1, x2, x3, etc based on integers. Would be a pain, but would also clean things up a lot.

As for character variation, and the impact it has on scenes, they are light at the moment. One thing I know I'm never going to do is much fuckery with limbs, especially legs. As much as I like a naga... legs are staying as legs. :p I'll start getting into more scene variations as I go on, I think; simple stuff like tits not being described as bouncing unless they're above a small size, etc.

More exposure would be nice, but I'd prefer to wait until I've got one or two more large updates out before I do. First impressions matter, after all... though it's this attitude that's kept me from releasing anything for so long since I started; the desire to have it be big and polished and finished from the get go. Whoops.

Hey, Pykrete Blue!

Could you please elaborate on how the hunger system works? I could be wrong, but does it give you stat penalties?

Also, would it be worthwhile to put like a "Hunger Level" stat on the right-hand "Status" pane?

Cheers!
Hunger is a bit invisible at the moment, isn't it? I'll see about rectifying it in the upcoming update.

How it works is very simple; every time the player goes to sleep, hunger increases by 1, to a min of -3. For every tier of hunger below 0, penalties start. They start light, but become debilitating by -3. Now, sleeping is by far the best way to recover HP in SoS: medstims are expensive, and napping just restores Energy. So when -3 hunger hits, you're not allowed to sleep, and must risk fighting on low stats to find some food, any food.

I thought It'd be a good way to balance 'daily' grinding and help emphasize that the player character, even if they're strong, still has to obey their own needs. Also, I wasn't about to write a horrible starvation based bad end, hah.

I'll probably put a hunger bar in the status pane like you suggest.

Valgo

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I don't know if it was already mentioned but you can retrieve the Power Core infinite times, repeat the choice as often as well which gives you unlimited Savage Pipebombs.

I exploited the hell out of it after failing to put that damned Hornet down for the third time.

I've seen 3 out of 4 Bad ends scenes so far, missing the one with the worm but I don't know how slim you have to be and corruption takes a looong time which is actually a good thing for a reasonable long game but a bit frustrating when you just wanna see that bad end especially since I am playing mostly pure on my main save.

Now I do have two questions:

- Do you plan on having Bad Ends that do not have anything to do with Impregnation?
- Will there ever be a Whorc who happens to have a rope with her? ;)

While I am also a fan of bad ends I also like mini quest were you try to escape captivity complete with the option to fail and be punished all over.
I guess you could consider this a suggestion :D

tontoman

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Thank you for the honest feedback! And I see you, cheeky light blue text... if I was going to make a cash grab game, I'd make some generated 3d graphics wank in RPG Maker. :p

How it works is very simple; every time the player goes to sleep, hunger increases by 1, to a min of -3. For every tier of hunger below 0, penalties start. They start light, but become debilitating by -3. Now, sleeping is by far the best way to recover HP in SoS: medstims are expensive, and napping just restores Energy. So when -3 hunger hits, you're not allowed to sleep, and must risk fighting on low stats to find some food, any food.

I thought It'd be a good way to balance 'daily' grinding and help emphasize that the player character, even if they're strong, still has to obey their own needs. Also, I wasn't about to write a horrible starvation based bad end, hah.

I'll probably put a hunger bar in the status pane like you suggest.
You could also do a sex for food thing. From someone who wants to transform you into a shape that they want. Maybe a quicker more extreme version of changes you might get fighting random monsters.
Have to be careful that you can still win at low stats, otherwise with no food and low stats and always losing it will be a snowball effect :).

I like the hunger aspect. With these time of games I always like to do risky or 'bad' things for a game mechanics reason, other than just wanting to see the scene ;).

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I don't know if it was already mentioned but you can retrieve the Power Core infinite times, repeat the choice as often as well which gives you unlimited Savage Pipebombs.

I exploited the hell out of it after failing to put that damned Hornet down for the third time.
Bugger, I wasn't aware of that at all. Fixed! Thanks for the report.

I've seen 3 out of 4 Bad ends scenes so far, missing the one with the worm but I don't know how slim you have to be and corruption takes a looong time which is actually a good thing for a reasonable long game but a bit frustrating when you just wanna see that bad end especially since I am playing mostly pure on my main save.
Got to be fairly slim, but if you're short enough, it doesn't matter how curvy you are. Gulp.

Now I do have two questions:

- Do you plan on having Bad Ends that do not have anything to do with Impregnation?
- Will there ever be a Whorc who happens to have a rope with her? ;)

While I am also a fan of bad ends I also like mini quest were you try to escape captivity complete with the option to fail and be punished all over.
I guess you could consider this a suggestion :D
1), probably! I've got at least 1 that doesn't involve impregnation at the moment written for the next update, and there will be more.
2), Yes. Not in The Gutter, but potentially as soon as the area north of it.
3), Something like that would be cool, and I do have something like it planned for a character I'm working on.

You could also do a sex for food thing. From someone who wants to transform you into a shape that they want. Maybe a quicker more extreme version of changes you might get fighting random monsters.
Have to be careful that you can still win at low stats, otherwise with no food and low stats and always losing it will be a snowball effect :).

I like the hunger aspect. With these time of games I always like to do risky or 'bad' things for a game mechanics reason, other than just wanting to see the scene ;).
Well, when you lose a fight, you get some health back; what with being laid on your arse for a while afterwards. But yes, it's intentionally a difficult, snowballing situation, as punishment for ignoring the hunger.

Edit: Oh, and there is actually a sex for food encounter. It can be found in a couple of different Scavenging spots.

Last edited:

sonata-s

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Any plans for evil/corruption events that include entire towns? Like siding with the Hornet would give the first town a "good" state (everybody normal) and an "evil" state (everybody broodmothers for hornets, replaced by hornet vendors).

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Yes. Lots of work involved, but something like that is currently in the works right now.

Valgo

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Bugger, I wasn't aware of that at all. Fixed! Thanks for the report.
You are very welcome ;)

Got to be fairly slim, but if you're short enough, it doesn't matter how curvy you are. Gulp.
Understood, I just really prefer my girl to be all female, all human so I guess she'll have to become a victorias secret model :D

1), probably! I've got at least 1 that doesn't involve impregnation at the moment written for the next update, and there will be more.
2), Yes. Not in The Gutter, but potentially as soon as the area north of it.
3), Something like that would be cool, and I do have something like it planned for a character I'm working on.
Sounds good to me!

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Understood, I just really prefer my girl to be all female, all human so I guess she'll have to become a victorias secret model :D
Not quite that slim. 'Tomboyish' or lower, basically; though when stuff starts getting shifted around, even a character with, say, a very large chest can fall under that category. It's based on an average of their 'assets'.

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

-heavy sigh-

I always go through the same series of thoughts when I see a new text-based
game on ulmf..

I get excited, and play it.

I realize there's no real "mid-battle rape or molestation", and it does that typical annoying end-game text-dump whenever you lose, because that's what people who play these games apparently come for, to get blue-balled by a few generic vague grope-attacks and then receive a long blob of text about how their character got horny and gave in to having some rough sex..

I then close the game, and ask myself why I expected that.

Then I think about CoC and Monstergirl quest, and shortly after,
the D&D-style Monstergirlquest-inspired RP that I do for people on
skype..

I'd just like to take a moment and ponder this out loud.. I'm not harping on this game, or any text-based ero games in general, I just want to ask this..

Why isn't there mid-battle rape/groping/ect in these kinds of games? It can't possibly be hard to do..

And I know what you're thinkin'.. "But they do have them, what are you talking about?"

No.. No, they don't.. They have "Attack moves" which increase your characters libido or reduce their resistance, but there's never any manner of genuine "They have you, they're sexually using you right now, and you can struggle out of it or just wait a turn and let it continue to happen" moves..

As previously mentioned Monstergirlquest did this very well.. CoC pretends to do it, but all they really have is "keep you restrained while idly increasing your libido" moves...

And furthermore on the subject, beyond even something monstergirlquest doesn't do, what about a game where the enemy can "completely" rape you during battle, without you even surrendering OR losing, where the "optionally struggle out of currently being used sexually move" eventually
leads to them cumming inside/on you, and after one/two/three times of them cumming, they just lose interest and leave you alone, regardless if you'd let them do it, or if you just didn't have enough stamina to struggle and was helplessly along for the ride?..

Where's THAT?.. It seems like such a gleaming gigantic obvious G-spot of a feature for any text game to have, but no.. Nothin'..

Eh... I'm done ranting now..

Last edited:

jadex

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

-heavy sigh-

game on ulmf..

I realize there's no real "mid-battle rape or molestation", and it does that typical annoying end-game text-dump whenever you lose, because that's what people who play these games apparently come for, to get blue-balled by a few generic vague grope-attacks and then receive a long blob of text about how their character got horny and gave in to having some rough sex..

skype..

I'd just like to take a moment and ponder this out loud.. I'm not harping on this game, or any text-based ero games in general, I just want to ask this..

Why isn't there mid-battle rape/groping/ect in these kinds of games? It can't possibly be hard to do..

And I know what you're thinkin'.. "But they do have them, what are you talking about?"

No.. No, they don't.. They have "Attack moves" which increase your characters libido or reduce their resistance, but there's never any manner of genuine "They have you, they're sexually using you right now, and you can struggle out of it or just wait a turn and let it continue to happen" moves..

As previously mentioned Monstergirlquest did this very well.. CoC pretends to do it, but all they really have is "keep you restrained while idly increasing your libido" moves...

And furthermore on the subject, beyond even something monstergirlquest doesn't do, what about a game where the enemy can "completely" rape you during battle, without you even surrendering OR losing, where the "optionally struggle out of currently being used sexually move" eventually
leads to them cumming inside/on you, and after one/two/three times of them cumming, they just lose interest and leave you alone, regardless if you'd let them do it, or if you just didn't have enough stamina to struggle and was helplessly along for the ride?..

Where's THAT?.. It seems like such a gleaming gigantic obvious G-spot of a feature for any text game to have, but no.. Nothin'..

Cursed Armor also has that feature if you're interested, but almost all enemies use different colored tentacles for in battle restraining/rape.

Brassyandclassy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

No.. No, they don't.. They have "Attack moves" which increase your characters libido or reduce their resistance, but there's never any manner of genuine "They have you, they're sexually using you right now, and you can struggle out of it or just wait a turn and let it continue to happen" moves.
I believe Night Games (will find link later when I'm not on mobile) has this. And as to why its rare, it makes "virgin" runs utterly impossible. Not to mention, grapples in general tend to be annoying as fuck, usually in the form of dice rolls.

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I've played night games before.. It.. Does have something close to
what I mentioned, but it too does the end-game text-dump when
your character cums..

Also, virgin runs?.. Grapples being annoying?..
I must come from a bizarro dimension where people could
care less about virgin runs and avoiding grapples, since playing
a game with sex in it is usually for the reason of having sex.

triacom

Demon Girl
Reputation score

-heavy sigh-

game on ulmf..

skype..

Games like this DO have it though, Nimin and Trapquest both have exactly those features (Nimin less so than Trapquest, but it does still have them).

You should get Trapquest, it's a fantastic game and here's an example of what can happen:

You encounter a minotaur, you fight until you're made weak enough that you fail the fatigue check and fall (random chance) or he trips you, then he tries having his way with your character (you can try standing or crawling away to resist) and you can choose to submit to it, however when he's done he loses interest in you for a while and stalks off.
The game world's also persistent, when he stalks off he's genuinely going someplace else and you can follow him, there's also no leveling up in that game either, despite it being a RPG. The minotaur can even encounter enemies without you being around in which case he'll kill them.
There's also no dedicated 'fight start'/'fight end' since the world's persistent, if you run away you move to other parts of the map and can encounter other enemies in other rooms on the map as you go along since they're always in motion but just in another part of the map, you can only choose to fight if you're both in the same room and so long as you're careful you can avoid nearly every encounter by just looking around.
I should also point out that if he chooses to use the character's ass though he'll fall asleep for a while, on top of your character and you'll be pinned until he wakes up and walks away, losing interest in the main character for some time after that.

Basically what I'm getting at is the fights sorta work like a text-based version of Violoated Heroine. There's also no end text dump when you lose at all since in that game it's technically impossible for you to lose unless your character faints, and if that happens then there still is no text dump of what sort of rape happened to your character, the realm you're in just resets.

Valgo

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I encountered another Bug (offline Version) were I started a new character who was able to make tender love to everyones favourite Weapon Seller instead of having to earn her respect first and only having the option to get dominated.

I
- > Started a new character
- > Human, Tomboyish
- > Went to out of the first room, went for the neutral option to asnwer
- > Went straight to the Weapons store
- > Here we are

Last time I didn't have that option when I gave my character a more feminine body, was nicer to folks and talked to everyone else in the gutter before going to the Whorc.

Hope those details help!

OP
Pykrete Blue

Pykrete Blue

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

It's actually based off of your strength stat. What strength did you have? If you have 2 or higher when you first meet her, she'll respect you from the get-go.

As for the earlier discussion; In some unreleased projects, I've done stuff similar to that with a few enemies. The problem is... it's not fun. At all. It's actually extremely aggravating to play, and the novelty wears thin quickly; or at least, it did in my attempts at handling it. I may attempt it again further on down the line, but we'll see.

Valgo

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

It's actually based off of your strength stat. What strength did you have? If you have 2 or higher when you first meet her, she'll respect you from the get-go.

As for the earlier discussion; In some unreleased projects, I've done stuff similar to that with a few enemies. The problem is... it's not fun. At all. It's actually extremely aggravating to play, and the novelty wears thin quickly; or at least, it did in my attempts at handling it. I may attempt it again further on down the line, but we'll see.
Oh well now I feel stupid. Yep the first time around I went for agility and intelligence and I didn't talk to the Whorc again until after the Hornet scene which I assumed is what made her respect my character.