What's new

Re: Renfield

While the combat, exploration & character progression still need a lot of work, I'm focusing my efforts on the H-scene code.
So far I've gotten the scene to load in a separate instance like the random battles.
Shouldn't take long to get a bare-bones H-scene up and running.

Okay version 1.01 should be available on DLSite soon.
I'm already working on a day 1 patch while they review it to see if it meets their censorship standards.

Now here's the thing: The game is still very rough and needs more content on all fronts.
Please appreciate the fact that a game like this has a lot more moving parts than something made in RPGMaker.
Expect bugs, glitches and balance issues.
Let me know as you find them and I'll get right on patching them.

Any aspect of the game, no matter how large or small, is fair game for criticism.
Just remember that I've been working mostly alone and everything takes time and usually money.

Okay version 1.02 is up on Maniax

Not sure how long it takes for the English site to get it.

Oh cool, long time since I heard about any progress on this. Can you give any details about what kind of sexual content there is so far? The last demo I played was much more of an alpha for just testing out the environment.

Oh cool, long time since I heard about any progress on this. Can you give any details about what kind of sexual content there is so far? The last demo I played was much more of an alpha for just testing out the environment.

Thanks for commenting. It's been tumbleweed in here for a while.
There are 8 fuckable girls. You gain a hypnotic power every time you level and randomly from defeating enemies.
You use these "Whispers" as a sort of currency to fuck the girls.

Right now we've animated 36 positions but only 6 of them are available from the start of the game.
The H-Scenes are voiced and I'm currently working on giving each girl a unique voice.
When you cum inside them, it shows the X-ray view and the semen flows with realtime physics.
Breast motion is also calculated in realtime, but needs a lot of tweaking.

CF Distribution says that it will take 2 weeks before it appears on the English site.
We can get a lot done in that time!
So if anyone's interested, let me know what you'd like to see in the game.
Remember: We're making this game almost entirely from scratch so there are no real limits on what we can do.

We? Has someone been helping you with the animations then or have you recruited another developer/designer/maker?

I remember mentioning a while ago that combat sex/rape and or struggling and other such minigames during combat makes it far more interesting for me, but considering the complexity involved I doubt that could be added in anything like 2 weeks.

Another thing I enjoy is anthropomorhised girls, which would be much more doable, but then again doesn't appeal to everyone. I think the best thing to do in the current situation would be to really nail these h-scenes, then follow it up with either additional content in releases or as a later game with a solid foundation already established. I mean this is your first h-game you produced right? You don't need to do everything at once, and I don't think people would expect you to.

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this type of game, or at least in this thread, especially considering how open you are to suggestions and some of the features you displayed earlier on. Maybe the hype peaked too early without much of an alpha and people (me included) kind of assumed you had bitten off more than you could chew and didn't have much hope of it ever coming.

Kudos to you on sticking at it.

We? Has someone been helping you with the animations then or have you recruited another developer/designer/maker?

I have a pool of freelancers that I call on to make original assets.
The H-animations are being done by a veteran of the Japanese game industry.
But other than purchasing art I'm mostly working alone.

I remember mentioning a while ago that combat sex/rape and or struggling and other such minigames during combat makes it far more interesting for me, but considering the complexity involved I doubt that could be added in anything like 2 weeks.

Right now the sex scenes revolve around hypnosis.
It's a 'hard' hypnosis that puts the target under the user's command, but leaves them aware of what's going on.
Once the spell is in place, there's no room for struggling.
Perhaps I could set up one scene as a fight-and-fuck scenario and see if people like it better.

Another thing I enjoy is anthropomorhised girls

This is pretty achievable.
I'm working on an alchemy system among other things.
Maybe a transformation concoction would be interesting.
Now that I think of it, each girl could turn into a different animal.
There's already a heavy werewolf/lycanthropy presence in the game's background story.

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this type of game

The internet's a huge place and it's difficult to get attention.
As much time and money as I've spent making this early version, I'll have to invest a lot more to really get it off the ground.

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this type of game, or at least in this thread, especially considering how open you are to suggestions and some of the features you displayed earlier on. Maybe the hype peaked too early without much of an alpha and people (me included) kind of assumed you had bitten off more than you could chew and didn't have much hope of it ever coming.

There was a long stretch where I just had to focus and couldn't update.
In the world of indie games (especially H-games) this is usually interpreted to mean the project is abandoned.
But I have no intention of abandoning Renfield. Ever.

----------------------------------------

Still working on generic NPC encounters.
Much more time consuming that I'd expected.
Yet it makes the world feel more alive and populated.

fb7512480dc0108e1b5178878d71f0e8.png

Taking a break from writing dialogue to add some variety to the combat animations.
Now when you attack, there are 17 different swing animations that can play at random.

1185b3dd95d3eeaf9e0b7e00c6ccbcdd.jpg

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this type of game, or at least in this thread, especially considering how open you are to suggestions and some of the features you displayed earlier on.

The demo published here is very short, no story, no girls, just fight wich I can't understand how it works...

I think it's necessary to have a new demo to know the game better, the gameplay, the style, the story, etc.

For now, well, I don't feel this attractive enough to follow it.

@KleptoLizard: Do you have a blog or a patreon, a place where we can find more info?

The demo published here is very short, no story, no girls, just fight wich I can't understand how it works...

I think it's necessary to have a new demo to know the game better, the gameplay, the style, the story, etc.

For now, well, I don't feel this attractive enough to follow it.

@KleptoLizard: Do you have a blog or a patreon, a place where we can find more info?

Yeah I'm going to take down that ancient pre-alpha.
I have a Patreon but I'll be mostly updating on forums where it's easier to mingle with the average user.

Which part didn't you understand?
The controls or the mechanics?

The mechanics, sometimes I killed a monster in one shot, and sometimes I was unable to even touch the same monster. I looked like it was on pure luck.

The mechanics, sometimes I killed a monster in one shot, and sometimes I was unable to even touch the same monster. I looked like it was on pure luck.

Well the underlying mechanics are much closer to old school paper-and-pencil damage and hit rates than to those of many modern games.
I like fights where every single encounter is dangerous and the rates at which hits, misses, crits, dodges and parries can make victory or defeat come unexpectedly.
The damage could be averaged out, but it would just be so bland.
I've already buffed the hit rate once. Reluctant to buff it again.

If you are struggling, I recommend sticking to just the first island.
It has the easiest encounters.
Once you buy some decent equipment the game gets really, really easy.

I retried because, I didn't want to stay on a bad impression. I follow your advice and stay on the first island.

First opponent, a zombi. No problem, killed it easily.

Second opponent, a bandit bersecker. He killed me in one shot, 123 hit...

Again, I'm playing the demo from the previous page. It was posted in september 2016 so I assume that the game is really different now.

This is why you should post a new version, to let us try and, hopefully, enjoy the modifications.

I retried because, I didn't want to stay on a bad impression. I follow your advice and stay on the first island.

First opponent, a zombi. No problem, killed it easily.

Second opponent, a bandit bersecker. He killed me in one shot, 123 hit...

Again, I'm playing the demo from the previous page. It was posted in september 2016 so I assume that the game is really different now.

This is why you should post a new version, to let us try and, hopefully, enjoy the modifications.

Yeah I've taken down all the old combat demos.
I'll release a playable demo around the time the English site gets it.

Making some tweaks to the combat system and the underlying formulas.
The damage will average out a bit more between attacks.
Also editing the voice files for the other girls.
Soon they'll each have a unique voice for the H-scenes.

Like so many sessions, today I logged in wanting to add stuff but spent most of that time just fixing various things.
The changes made to the animation controllers needed to be updated on every creature model to work properly.

f09632c48a3c57194a6d4d4ade0b1ac5.png

The damage tweaking is done for now.
Before a weapon would do a single base roll to determine damage before modifiers.
So if you rolled a D20 and it came up a 2, the enemy's natural armor would absorb it all.
Now it averages out the result of two rolls, making the spectacular crits and fumbles much less common.
It also means you won't get one shot as much. Emphasis on "as much".
You should still use the Defend command against heavies and get some light armor as soon as you can.

I've also refined my workflow for editing the voice files, so it will take about half the time originally estimated.

Today I'm focusing on smoother transitions from the world map to the combat and H-scenes.
Combat levels are loading relatively quickly, but the H-scenes are taking way too long.

039539543b41136d8b82d3d5ba351442.jpg

I notice these posts are getting views, but nobody's commenting.
Don't be shy. Your input could prove incredibly valuable.
At this early stage the moral support alone is really appreciated.

Back