What's new

RPG Patreon Active Unknown/Hiatus RPG Maker [SHOEGAZER] Dungeons and Prisoners (RJ113419)

Elarithon

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
There's an option to go to the "gauntlet" in the debug room, but I just get an error about Map065 which doesn't exist in the game files. Anyone know what that is? Searched the thread but this isn't even mentioned anywhere (or at least the search doesn't pick it up). I installed the two patches for the 4.01 version, am I missing something?

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
There's an option to go to the "gauntlet" in the debug room, but I just get an error about Map065 which doesn't exist in the game files. Anyone know what that is? Searched the thread but this isn't even mentioned anywhere (or at least the search doesn't pick it up). I installed the two patches for the 4.01 version, am I missing something?

Maybe the fact that when you dig up the bone of something buried lon long long (...) long ago, it's probably going to miss pieces. Even more when it's was throw in the trash bin unfinished..

Arde645

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Maybe the fact that when you dig up the bone of something buried lon long long (...) long ago, it's probably going to miss pieces. Even more when it's was throw in the trash bin unfinished..
That's more on me, he's probably talking about the "mod" I posted way back. Made a thing for people that wanted to mess around post-game.

The Gauntlet is a leftover from when I was trying to get a round-based arena thing going so that people could enjoy some difficult combat without having to go into the dungeon. It should have a message in the text box basically saying "shit is broke yo".

Bryanis

Reputation score
Wait what, he went blind? How what made him blind?
Last news we got he wasn't blind, but he got a disease that also affect eyesight as a side effect. It's usually more that when the illness increase eyesight got blurry and it hurt to focus ( even more to watch screen). So unless he manage to get a working treament he can afford on everyday, he can't really work.

Well, imagine when you eye burn and your cry because you spend countless hours in a row on a screen ? Add the pretty tired that make you lose a bit of focus making thing just a bit blurry... that would be his default state. And the more the illness act up, the worst it's gonna be.

Ericridge

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Last news we got he wasn't blind, but he got a disease that also affect eyesight as a side effect. It's usually more that when the illness increase eyesight got blurry and it hurt to focus ( even more to watch screen). So unless he manage to get a working treament he can afford on everyday, he can't really work.

Well, imagine when you eye burn and your cry because you spend countless hours in a row on a screen ? Add the pretty tired that make you lose a bit of focus making thing just a bit blurry... that would be his default state. And the more the illness act up, the worst it's gonna be.
Huh I see.. yeah thats horrible x.x At least he isn't blind.

ChupacabraGonzales

Reputation score
Why has noone ever attempted anything similar or even a modded fangame?
If I recall, the files for this game are easily accessible, there's a lot of potential for modding new outfits or status effects.

mimic22

Reputation score
If i recal right, while the files are easily accessibles, the scripts and other programmations things from this game are a complete spaghetti mess, very difficult to work on if you aren't the guy that created it in the first place.

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Also what would be the point if there were no new art assets to make it worth the trouble?

Bryanis

Reputation score
1) you need an artist to take over
2) tactital RPG ain't the point of RPG maker. It need lot of coding and so lot of time (and skills)

and if you manage to get peoples to to 1) and 2) you'll still need :
3) someone to write a story
and big 4) Ill's authorization to use his initial work

Good luck getting all that (and doing a decent work from it).

A Lost Cat

Lurker
Reputation score
Why has noone ever attempted anything similar or even a modded fangame?
If I recall, the files for this game are easily accessible, there's a lot of potential for modding new outfits or status effects.
Depends on what part of it you're looking for, but, if it's the turn-based, random mystery-dungeon, side picture w/ animated sexytimes, .... MaiDenSnow Eve fits a similar mold.

The actual rpg story for that style though, i don't know of anything offhand.

Every so often I get reminded of this game and remember the lost potential. Such a shame.
Everytime i see the bell icon here pop this thread out, i internally wince, expecting some new account 1 post necro asking for the game.

Nellis

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
So I delved into the code a bit to fix a few annoying issues

nkmod_20220126

Changes:
Fixed a null reference crash in the Random Dungeon
Fixed a conditional bug which caused the Heaven events to always show the same images

Additions:
(Dev only) added a ruby export script. The import option isn't working, but this at least gives the ability to look at the code in a real IDE
Added a floor select to the random dungeon (the menu is in a modified Map062.rvdata2, so the floor select isn't compatible with Arde645's mod)

I also included a save just post intro sequence. Meine is Level 5 and Lynn is level 13, perfect for starting the random dungeon. There's also a batch file with the correct AGTH parameters for this game

With this the random dungeon should be much more stable, and return trips to the dungeon should require a whole lot less grinding through low level enemies to get back to where you were. Keep expectations low though. This is a demo for an unfinished game after all. Nothing new down there, just the same mobs at a higher level

This mod is for Dungeons and Prisoners Demo_ver.4.01 (_fixed), the code lists the release date as 2016-07-25. Installation requires RGSS Extractor. Extract Game.rgss3, rename it to Game.rgss3.bak, overwrite files. This could be simpler - this game does have patch capabilities, loose scripts in the /Patch folder will run without issue, but I don't know enough about Ruby to know how to modify or overwrite existing code this way

The code is, well, a bit sprawled out, but to be fair it's a complicated game. I'm not a great coder but tracking these two bugs down was not too bad. The most egregious thing about the game is the way the data is stored. When the game underwent an engine change from RPGMaker VX to VXAce, large amounts of data remained in .rvdata files (contained in data/vx/data) which can't be viewed or edited without an ancient copy of RPGMaker VX. MaidenSnow did the same thing, it's just a mess. If Ill or anyone else were to continue developing the game (and I don't intend to) getting the data into a better format would be the first thing I'd do, and it might be necessary to translate more parts of the game

Attachments

Nellis

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Graffiti was never appearing on a non-virgin Miene due to unreachable code in one of the common events. It was fixed on the script side, there's more details in the included txt