What's new

Sign-up and OOC

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: D&D campaign (to be named)

Yeah I noticed that, but if you search for the page title it takes you to it. Interesting little items though the heartripper may not help much against undead. Does give me some ideas though.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Tack a parenthesis on the end of both links. It's not registering the close parenthesis as part of the link for some reason.

Probably not, with the possible exception of ripping the heart out of a sleeping vampire, but we were basically immune to undead in my last campaign because we had the Ruby of Blaska, so it was really just for lolz. Undead are the reason I'm using a morningstar instead of a longsword, so it balances out. You can't really get most undead into a helpless position anyway, so I couldn't really use it.

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

True, and they can get lightning, unless I'm mistaken. But still, now we can't go "ZOMG!!~! You killed our Cleric!"
And turning undead isn't useful if you have a dwarf to smash them, since it never works on the really dangerous undead like Liches and vampires anyway. In my experience, at any rate.
I think we actually managed to turn a lich *once.* Once. Although, we did kill an insanely powerful vampire by randomly teleporting to the middle of the desert...at sunrise. :D

Meh. Unless dmronny tells me we're going to be getting a lot of magic items, or he's going to let us get things enchanted, it's the only way we're going to get any good items. I don't want to go through another campaign having my best weapon be a +1 short sword.
Been there, done that. At least you *got* a +1 sword. I swear to the heavens, the only time we saw a magical weapon as loot was when we were doing a bullshit quest with our high-level characters (we had to kill a wyvern. One wyvern. My wizard took it out with a fireball, then ran from the falling corpse.) and we got a +2 battle axe that none of us could use.

dmronny: Don't worry about it, real life is more important. Ahhh, Baldurs Gate....... I would have left that barbarian in his cage if I didn't think I'd get exp for freeing him.
Hey, don't bash Minsc! I kept him with me through the entire game and gave him a vorpral sword. Never seen a fallen diva go down so fast. Bless critical hits.

Healing shouldn't be a problem, since you have a druid and 2 character's with use magic device as skills. There should be plenty of magic items you can get a hold of, I'm not planning on low-magic. Especially since Greyahwk is home of Mordenkainen, Tenser, Bigby, Rary, etc., etc.
Who?
J/K

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

I've got reduced-filesize versions of all the core books (and most of the other books) - essentially all it is is the regular book scans, but with the white border around the pages cut off to tremendously reduce filesize. It's like if 4chan were to be annihilated - nothing of value is lost.

Ryu

Lurker
Reputation score

This is another nice resource for anyone who needs it:

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

Alright, I whipped this up yesterday morning I think, finished it today. It's been a long time since I've made a 3.5 character sheet so if I screwed anything up lemme know.

Name: Teren Woodson Class: Druid Level: 1
Race: Human Alignment: True Neutral Deity: (none)
Size: Medium Age: 31 Gender: Male Height: 6'1" Weight: 190 lbs
Eyes: Hazel Hair: Dark brown Skin: Fair

Str 8 (-1)
Dex 11 (0)
Con 13 (+1)
Int 18 (+4)
Wis 15 (+3)
Cha 8 (-1)

Hit points: 9 Current: 9 Nonlethal dmg: 0 Speed: 30
AC: 14 Touch AC: 10 Flat-footed AC: 14 Initiative: 0

Saves
Fort: +3 Ref: +2 Will: +5

Base attack bonus: +0 Spell resistance:
Grapple:

Attack: Scimitar Attack Bonus: +0 Damage: 1d6 Critical: 18-20/x2
Range: N/A Type: Slashing Notes: N/A Ammunition: N/A

Skills:
Concentration (con) 4
Diplomacy (cha) 4
Handle Animal (cha) 4
Heal (wis) 4
Knowledge (Nature) (int) 4
Listen (wis) 4
Spellcraft (int) 4
Spot (wis) 4
Survival (wis) 4

Campaign:
Experience points:

Gear
Armor/protective item: Bearskin Armor Type: Hide AC Bonus: +3 Max Dex: +4 Check Penalty: -3 Spell failure: 20%Speed: 20ft Weight: 25lbs Special Properties: N/A

Shield/protective item: Light wooden shield AC Bonus: +1 Weight: 5lbs Check Penalty: -1 Spell failure: 5% Special Properties: N/A

Other possessions
Backpack
Explorer’s Outfit
Waterskin

Money: 14gp

Feats
Armor proficiency (medium) [class bonus]
Self-sufficient
Investigator

Special Abilities
Animal Companion [Chipmunk - treat as rat in MM]
Tricks: -Seek
Nature Sense
Wild Empathy

Languages
Common
Druidic
Draconic
Elven
Dwarven
Sylvan

Spells

Spell Save: Arcane spell failure:

Spells known:
Level 0: Know Direction, Detect magic, cure minor wounds (1pt)
Level 1: Cure light wounds (1d8+1) x2
Level 2:
Level 3:
Level 4:
Level 5:
Level 6:
Level 7:
Level 8:
Level 9:

Spell save DC:
Level 0: 14
Level 1: 15
Level 2:
Level 3:
Level 4:
Level 5:
Level 6:
Level 7:
Level 8:
Level 9:

Last edited:

Ryu

Lurker
Reputation score

Alright, I whipped this up yesterday morning I think, finished it today. It's been a long time since I've made a 3.5 character sheet so if I screwed anything up lemme know.
You've spent 8 "points" too many on stats.

Animal Companion is not a 0th lvl spell(so you can choose 1 more 0th lvl spell), it's a special ability. As are nature sense and wild empathy, which you forgot to add.

Sylvan is a granted bonus language to a druid, so you get to choose 1 more.

As a human, you have 4 additional skill points to spend at first level, and 1 extra for every level thereafter.

You haven't selected any feats. You get 1 as a lvl 1 character, and a bonus feat for being human. You can find the list here:

Here are your lvl 1 granted special abilities. You7 may wish to add them to your character sheet:

-Animal Companion (Ex)

A druid may begin play with an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures are also available: porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the druid on her adventures as appropriate for its kind.

A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted below. As a druid advances in level, the animal’s power increases as shown on the table. If a druid releases her companion from service, she may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 24 uninterrupted hours of prayer. This ceremony can also replace an animal companion that has perished.

A druid of 4th level or higher may select from alternative lists of animals. Should she select an animal companion from one of these alternative lists, the creature gains abilities as if the character’s druid level were lower than it actually is. Subtract the value indicated in the appropriate list header from the character’s druid level and compare the result with the druid level entry on the table to determine the animal companion’s powers. (If this adjustment would reduce the druid’s effective level to 0 or lower, she can’t have that animal as a companion.)

-Nature Sense (Ex)

A druid gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks.

-Wild Empathy (Ex)

A druid can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The druid rolls 1d20 and adds her druid level and her Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result.

The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.

To use wild empathy, the druid and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.

A druid can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but she takes a -4 penalty on the check.

I may have missed stuff, but I'll leave it up to others to point it out. ^^;

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

Fine, I just went by what was in the PH though. It says animal companion is a spell, so it's a spell.

I don't want to deal with this god damn shit right now. I'm under way, way, way too much stress, and I can't deal with any more nag nag nag nag NAAAAAG.

SERIOUSLY, WILL EVERYONE GET OFF MY GOD DAMN CASE?

Ryu

Lurker
Reputation score

I wasn't on your case. In your previous post, you asked us to point out any errors you may have made. Sorry if I came on too strong though.

Also, you may be thinking of the Animal Friendship spell?(which is actually lvl 1, not 0)

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

No... no, it's not you, it's me. I'm under a lot of stress right now and I'm melting down.

Like I said, I don't play 3.5 EVER (used to 2.0, and druids don't even get animal companions there). So I misinterpreted the handbook, and since those were listed in the spells table, I figured they were spells. Figure the fucking authors could make themselves a bit more god damned clear, but whatever.

I don't get how I spent 8 points too many, unless I misunderstand the point buy system. Way we've always done it, you got X points and you put X points on your stats. Then again our DM used a 7-stat system (splitting Charisma into Appearance and Personality), so our stats were way messed up anyways.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

No... no, it's not you, it's me. I'm under a lot of stress right now and I'm melting down.

Like I said, I don't play 3.5 EVER (used to 2.0, and druids don't even get animal companions there). So I misinterpreted the handbook, and since those were listed in the spells table, I figured they were spells. Figure the fucking authors could make themselves a bit more god damned clear, but whatever.

I don't get how I spent 8 points too many, unless I misunderstand the point buy system. Way we've always done it, you got X points and you put X points on your stats. Then again our DM used a 7-stat system (splitting Charisma into Appearance and Personality), so our stats were way messed up anyways.
The issues is that +1 doesn't always cost one point.

ronny said:
9 =>1
10 =>2
11 =>3
12 =>4
13 =>5
14 =>6
15 =>8
16 =>10
17 =>13
18 =>16
So - up to 14 costs one point per +1 to stat
15 or 16 costs 2 points per +1 to stat
17 or 18 costs 3 points per +1 to stat.

I hope whatever is stressing you is done with soon.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah I see where you probably got confused with the spells, and special abilities some of the charts and what not could definately be written better(especially since you've never seen most of it if you've only played 2 edition). Everything Ryu pointed out was correct. For the point-buy do this: Each stat starts at 8. (STR, DEX,CON,INT,WIS,CHA) Then you have 32 points to spread amongst the stats however you see fit according to this chart. After that make racial adjustments none for a human. If you have any other questions just let me know.

9 > 1 point 14 > 6 points
10 > 2 points 15 > 8 points
11 > 3 points 16 > 10 points
12 > 4 points 17 > 13 points
13 > 5 points 18 > 16 points

Edit: I shouldn't take so long to type things out, P-bird beat me. Oh well hope you statrt feeling better as well.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I'll check things out a little later on all the charts just to double-check, then we can get hopefully get started. I'll just post any corrections I think of here as edits.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

How're you running this anyways? Play by post, some sort of chat client, what?

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I was planning to do it PBP style, but I've never actually run one over the computer before. PBP would probably work best because we don't have to all be on at the same time.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

Roger that - and it gives us a definite incentive to try to avoid combat, given how long it will take.

Speaking of avoiding combat - just so we known in advance, are you the sort of GM who only gives exp for killing things, or does defusing situations through other methods count?

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

One of the adventures planned for the game has zero combat encounters in it does that answer you're question?

Yeah if you handle the situation you get experience wether it's through combat, diplomacy, or just being sneaky. There will be combat of course, but you have to vary things up to not bore everyone.

Combat may be kind of slow PBP style, but I don't know how else we'd do it, I mean hell I think only 2 of us are in the same time zone.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

Fair enough.

(And if that non-combat adventure happens to be one I've played, I promise not to remember the solutions to the puzzles. >.>'')

Ryu

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, PbP style may throw a bad kind of wrench in combat, since we may end up waiting days for 1 person. Also, because of the initiative, there will likely be a lot of post change, depending on who buffs when, who gets impatient and charges, etc.

Something I can suggest is all of the players give themselves a general strategy, or their usual turn-by-turn combat style(like it has for some of the monsters in the monster manual) and either post it here or PM it to Ronny. That way combat will likely go a lot faster, and we can watch and deviate from our plans as needed, or we can send him updated ones as things change for our characters.

Just an idea though.