What's new

RPG RPG Maker [SQDT] サキュバスアカデミア / Succubus Academia (RJ265946)

SNStep

Reputation score
It's a message in their english-discussion Discord channel, no word on when but they claimed they'd post them to the mods section it sounds like? I doubt there'd be any issue with you also doing it here if that's the case.
Ah, okay. I haven't been on their Discord channel. I'll see about keeping an eye out and post them here too once they're up there, just in case.

KarinP

Reputation score
I submitted the two official mods to SQDT with the rest of the translation (J.L. is also me). I haven't been told anything about what/how the plans for releasing those are and haven't seen anything from them about it either. If SQDTT has no plans to put it on their site it should be okay for me to post 'em here, since I had permission to do them in the first place. If you don't mind giving me the source for that, I'll go ahead and put 'em up now; otherwise, I want to give SQDT a little more time to do it, just in case.
here you go
Screenshot 2022-02-12 055906.png
Edit: whoops I've been ninja'ed

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I submitted the two official mods to SQDT with the rest of the translation (J.L. is also me). I haven't been told anything about what/how the plans for releasing those are and haven't seen anything from them about it either. If SQDTT has no plans to put it on their site it should be okay for me to post 'em here, since I had permission to do them in the first place. If you don't mind giving me the source for that, I'll go ahead and put 'em up now; otherwise, I want to give SQDT a little more time to do it, just in case.
Hey dude i didn't realize you were the one who chose to translate the english version. I've decided to buy it again as thanks to you for translating this game.

Do you have any plans to translate other games in the future? Succubus Quest perhaps?

ARandomKid

Reputation score
I'll, uh, just be committing ritual suicide in shame over in the corner, there...
To be fair I just went and looked and it's the same in the translation patch you did waaaay back when, so it'd be very easy to gloss over (because, why would you look at it again? It's literally the simple beginning tutorial on how RPGMaker games function, and it's a simple phrase that was probably one of the first things done. Much more worth focusing on everything else rather than hunting for singular transposed letter pairs almost nobody will notice. You certainly had a lot to go through to make this happen, so if this is the only thing missed out of however many tens of thousands of lines it's seriously impressive.

...now to go find more, hehehe.

Last edited:

Civilincubus

Reputation score
Ah, okay. I haven't been on their Discord channel. I'll see about keeping an eye out and post them here too once they're up there, just in case.
That'd be awesome, I love how you translated the game, are an active part of the community, and are providing insider access. You made my weekend!

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I'll, uh, just be committing ritual suicide in shame over in the corner, there...
Just use the proofreader as a scapegoat and have him beheaded in your stead. The Queen of Hearts would approve :LOL:

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
The non-surface level stuff at the end just feels like a post-hoc justification to not make players absolutely despise the "heroines." And it doesn't work.
Like i said before, Succubi in some settings aren't women cosplaying as demons, they are actual demons who think of humans are their prey, this kind of setting isn't for everyone, particularly those who want a hot succubus girlfriend who won't ruthlessly devour them for her sadistic pleasure alone, but for those of us that get off to that kind of thing, Succubus Academia does it perfectly.
If it did that, I think I wouldn't have said anything tho. Pure villains would've been great.
But that's not what they did. They stepped back on that characterization for the heroines probably cause they didn't want the players to despise the girls. Though that's just an assumption on my part.

They gave them all romance targets, and they retroactively changed the protagonist's role as well as the main concept of multiple lead characters. The post-game story trying to paint the succubi in a more positive light.

This problem doesn't happen for Succubus Prison because Shiki's honest about the heroines being complete ass in personality, but having bombastic bodies and sexual ability. No one would want to touch a Shiki heroine with a ten foot pole romantically.

EDIT: I just realized I defaulted to calling them heroines XD. They're female characters used to advertise the game, and are big on the boxart.
What should I classify them as? Villains...? I honestly don't know.

SNStep

Reputation score
Hey dude i didn't realize you were the one who chose to translate the english version. I've decided to buy it again as thanks to you for translating this game.

Do you have any plans to translate other games in the future? Succubus Quest perhaps?
I'd love to do further work with SQDT (or maybe with others as well if the opportunity arises), but presently there's no concrete plans, though the possibility of doing the has been discussed. Whether anything actually happens will probably depend a little bit on how successful the current translation does, but I've got my fingers crossed!

If it did that, I think I wouldn't have said anything tho. Pure villains would've been great.
But that's not what they did. They stepped back on that characterization for the heroines probably cause they didn't want the players to despise the girls. Though that's just an assumption on my part.
Taking it both directions is part of what makes it work, IMO. They're predators, but they're not "evil". They're more "alien". It makes them fascinating to see them as dangerously incompatible with human life, but also normal by their own standards. And to steal from another semi-macabre work, "what's normal for the spider is chaos for the fly". The fact that they have their own sort of moral scale that doesn't quite fit as harmless, nor outright malicious, gives them a sort of intrigue that lets them go beyond a simple sex appeal device (doubly ironic too, since their actual role in the greater story is practically as being only pawns).

That'd be awesome, I love how you translated the game, are an active part of the community, and are providing insider access. You made my weekend!
Since they've been posted on the discord, at this point, I suspect it won't hurt to post them here, too, so I've attached three mods to this post. These include both the two official Pixy-insert and Phantom-inert mods, as well as an Undine-insert that I thought was official but is not (I'm not sure who the original author was). Just drop the file(s) you want to use into the www/mod folder of the game (though bear in mind, they can mess with certain flags or tallying of certain trophies, so you might not want to use them on a first run of the game). To properly use the mod for Phantom, you will also need images from .

EDIT: Doublechecking, it looks like the zip on Ci-en contains the entire set of files for the Japanese 1.2 patch (included by default in the English version of the game). Therefore, you only need a few files from the zip on the Ci-en site for the sake of the Phantom mod! If you copy only the files from the www/img/pictures folder that begin with "E_Phantom", that should be sufficient. Alternatively (or if that doesn't work) create a new game folder with the files from the zip on Ci-en, then move (and overwrite when prompted) any and all files from the official English version of the game into that same folder.

Attachments

Last edited:

szarala

Tentacle God
Reputation score
hm.. adding the phantom mod almost completely reverted the translation (even after applying the english mod over it)

nvm! I figured it out

Last edited:

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I'd love to do further work with SQDT (or maybe with others as well if the opportunity arises), but presently there's no concrete plans, though the possibility of doing the has been discussed. Whether anything actually happens will probably depend a little bit on how successful the current translation does, but I've got my fingers crossed!
Unfortunately it will be tough to judge how successful the translation is based on sales. As i said before, with a free existing english patch out there already, many who bought the game already might not want to spend the money again. I decided to do so and i'm glad that i did, i've been waiting for an opportunity to play the game again and as you said, this is the best version of the translation. However, we're talking about a game that has already seen it's apex and with no new content as of yet, i don't know how much excitement there will be. I also know that piracy of H-games is rampant in the west or perhaps its just easier than to set up a Dlsite account in the first place.

I wouldn't be that discouraged if the game doesn't sell to meet your expectations or that of SQDT. There is a market for English translations, but it is much more niche than the Japanese language. I hope that won't deter you in the future.

SNStep said:
Taking it both directions is part of what makes it work, IMO. They're predators, but they're not "evil". They're more "alien". It makes them fascinating to see them as dangerously incompatible with human life, but also normal by their own standards. And to steal from another semi-macabre work, "what's normal for the spider is chaos for the fly". The fact that they have their own sort of moral scale that doesn't quite fit as harmless, nor outright malicious, gives them a sort of intrigue that lets them go beyond a simple sex appeal device (doubly ironic too, since their actual role in the greater story is practically as being only pawns).
TheUnsaid said:
I don't know what SQDT's vision is specifically, but i wouldn't say that in most cases Succubi are evil, they are predators as you say, but much like the Antelope is to the Lion, the Lion needs a steady supply of prey to stay alive. In the animal kingdom, predators evolve specifically to hunt their prey and the sexuality of the succubi is how they evolved to drain men, who are as powerless as a fly against the fly trap once caught. I wouldn't call them villains for the same reason predators aren't villains, i also wouldn't say that they are put in any kind of light to say they are 'heroines'. Clearly their entire interest in the male characters is to devour them, everything they say or do is to ultimately achieve that goal.

That my own personal take, to each their own.

SNStep

Reputation score
I wouldn't be that discouraged if the game doesn't sell to meet your expectations or that of SQDT. There is a market for English translations, but it is much more niche than the Japanese language. I hope that won't deter you in the future.
It's less likely to discourage me per se (as long as I find the story interesting, like I did for SA), as much as to leave it up in the air if the creator feels it's worth official support, more or less. It's not like I didn't start the project unofficially anyway, but I think it's for the better that it was done "properly" in the end, and I'm just hoping it does well enough not to make it feel like a waste of effort for them.

hm.. adding the phantom mod almost completely reverted the translation (even after applying the english mod over it)
Eep, after some investigation yeah, using the entire zip file there is incompatible with the English version. I more or less paraphrased from the Discord and it's been more than half a year since I incorporated it on my end, that I didn't remember all that being the case. See the edit to the previous post for some tips on getting it working.

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Dev just said on Discord he has plans to put SA on Steam, however, it would (probably) be too difficult to remove the existing censorship because of the way the game was made.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Dev just said on Discord he has plans to put SA on Steam, however, it would (probably) be too difficult to remove the existing censorship because of the way the game was made.
There never was any hope to uncensor animations...
They'll need to be very, very clever with the game's description for Steam, but I'd like that. Banning the 'high school' word for 'college' is a given; after all all characters look perfectly 18+ legit. Not to sound judgemental, but logical, the JK fad is only worthwhile in Japan, for Japanese.

As for the above, I don't believe anyone has a patent over Succubi. The world is original, has a great deal of thought and research behind it. That matters much, much more. I'd rather more tame succubi myself, but I appreciate the deeper characters than what we usually witness. There's also the fact that the H-game microcosm will stagnate and end up producing diesel-fueled industrial clones of old clones, if they have to cater for every little wish the majority request, over their own creativity.

Last edited:

anonacc

Lurker
Reputation score
Just bought it now, largely because I'm a fan of voting with my dollar and want these kinds of efforts to be reciprocated. Thanks for all of your hard work, SNStep!

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
I'd agree if they didn't try to characterize them in a human way. Especially with the "rape victim"

They're not portraying them as beings outside of humanity, when they act and move on general human impulses along with their succubus impulse of fucking dudes to death.
Now again, I'd be completely fine with scum girls who I want dead. Tons of games do that.

It just feels to me that the author wants it both ways. To find the girls attractive and like them as well as hate them to their guts and find them frightening. This is the dichotomy I cannot understand. It's probably a fetish thing. I don't have a vore fetish so maybe it's in the same line of thinking.
It's like... making a horror game but the scary stuff just pops out and gives you candy and sweets while the color palette is bright pink.

I don't know what SQDT's vision is specifically, but i wouldn't say that in most cases Succubi are evil, they are predators as you say, but much like the Antelope is to the Lion, the Lion needs a steady supply of prey to stay alive. In the animal kingdom, predators evolve specifically to hunt their prey and the sexuality of the succubi is how they evolved to drain men, who are as powerless as a fly against the fly trap once caught. I wouldn't call them villains for the same reason predators aren't villains, i also wouldn't say that they are put in any kind of light to say they are 'heroines'. Clearly their entire interest in the male characters is to devour them, everything they say or do is to ultimately achieve that goal.

That my own personal take, to each their own.
If you're a human, a lion is your villain.
The Loup/Wolf has a huge use in children's fiction especially for this reason. They don't need to explain that the wolf is the bad guy/villain. It'll eat you. It's bad. It ate grandma.

By your logic, the wolf in red riding hood can't be considered a villain.

" i also wouldn't say that they are put in any kind of light to say they are 'heroines'."
I disagree. They are given specific males they prefer devouring.
The writing tries to keep their personalities forward and personable.
Their character designs are simple and attractive used for the cover.
They are given backstories and are relevant to the overarching plot. Lots of effort was done to characterize them and relate them to a specific guy.

Well, I don't think they're truly heroines because of their egregious features, but I feel the dev attempted at trying to have the player at least like them. Especially when swimmer girl goes up in your face.

But that's just my view. I'm not trying to invalidate yours, just giving my side.

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Again, i don't see them as villains and certainly not heroines, they don't empathize, they manipulate. the first succubus talks about cultivating her childhood friend's love just to make him more tasty when she devours him, she is a 'changeling', someone who infiltrates humanity with the intent of picking them off.

A Lion is not a villain, a lion is a completely instinct-driven creature. Its not good or bad, it just is. It evolved to prey upon other creatures. Nobody knows the origins of Succubi generally or in this universe (yet), but the fact that they prey upon men is a pretty big indication that they evolved or were created with the intention to do so.

There are different Succubi in different universes, Succubus-Chan is a notorious succubus who is particularly cruel, who likes watching men follow into temptation so such a degree that they willingly die in exchange for the pleasure she gives them, even though her acts are evil, i don't think she herself is evil. its more like a cat playing with a mouse it caught. Succubi don't have any sense of morality, they are instinct-driven creatures just like a lion. That is my opinion and nothing in SA contradicts that, ofcourse, everyone is welcome to their own interpretation.

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
Again, i don't see them as villains and certainly not heroines, they don't empathize, they manipulate. the first succubus talks about cultivating her childhood friend's love just to make him more tasty when she devours him, she is a 'changeling', someone who infiltrates humanity with the intent of picking them off.

A Lion is not a villain, a lion is a completely instinct-driven creature. Its not good or bad, it just is. It evolved to prey upon other creatures. Nobody knows the origins of Succubi generally or in this universe (yet), but the fact that they prey upon men is a pretty big indication that they evolved or were created with the intention to do so.

There are different Succubi in different universes, Succubus-Chan is a notorious succubus who is particularly cruel, who likes watching men follow into temptation so such a degree that they willingly die in exchange for the pleasure she gives them, even though her acts are evil, i don't think she herself is evil. its more like a cat playing with a mouse it caught. Succubi don't have any sense of morality, they are instinct-driven creatures just like a lion. That is my opinion and nothing in SA contradicts that, ofcourse, everyone is welcome to their own interpretation.
I don't think I've ever discussed with someone about whether the wolf in red riding hood is the villain or not, cause I just took that mentality as obvious, but hey, I can see your point.
The wolf is used in children's literature as the easy villain because it's in a position where it can eat you, and that's it. Since the story is told from a human perspective the wolf is the villain in the same way the lion is.

But... I guess we're getting off topic. We both made our points. I'll just stop here. Just want to let you know it was an interesting discussion at least even if I disagree.

eatthemuffin

Reputation score
Does anyone know if there's a way to increase EP outside of battle?

I created a problem for myself. I'm playing as the boy who needs to do things with the nurse, which requires EP to be above 80%, I think someone said? The problem is, this is one of the last characters I'm doing, which means I have the passive abilities you gain from the other virgin sacrifices, including the one that restores your EP by 20% every time you defeat one of the drifters (the non-boss encounters.) I've also already encountered and defeated all of the notorious succubi, so at the moment the only things I can fight are those drifter enemies, and each time that automatic EP heal I get from that passive reduces it by too much for me to activate the nurse's scene.

So I'm hoping there might be some other means of increasing my EP that I've missed. Otherwise I'll have to reload an old save and lose a couple hours of progress.

SNStep

Reputation score
I'd agree if they didn't try to characterize them in a human way. Especially with the "rape victim"
They're not portraying them as beings outside of humanity, when they act and move on general human impulses along with their succubus impulse of fucking dudes to death.
[...]
It's probably a fetish thing. I don't have a vore fetish so maybe it's in the same line of thinking.
At the risk of sounding really inappropriate for content related to an H-game, I think it's more, like, a matter of taking the sex aspect out of it entirely? Replace "succubus" with, say, "vampire". Or maybe to take it a different way, think of it like a relationship between humans, and, say, pigs. Some people actually keep them as pets (I've known people who tell me pigs are about as smart as dogs and such), others just want their bacon. If pigs had human-level sapience, such inconsistent behavior from humans might seem strange, but it's just a different-species point of view. It's a weird stretch, but that's how I see it, anyway.

And for the whole rape scene example, I think that's a little different, too, if you take the exact result out. It's like in a horror movie, when you see that one asshole character mess with the monster. You don't necessarily feel bad for the monster, but you can sure as hell enjoy seeing the victim get what's coming to them. Now, it can be a little variable, I suppose, whether "look at it a more broad standard than just the sex" is something a game heavily marketed around sex could or should aspire to. But again, for me at least, that it does, and does decently at it, is part of why I enjoyed it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to increase EP outside of battle?
In the pool/sea area, there are pink tiles that will raise your EP when you walk on them. Easiest thing to do is go to the first area right by the emergency exit, there's a small patch of these, and you can just constantly walk back and forth across them to get your EP up and trigger the encounter with the nurse.