What's new

ACT [Terrarium] Anthophobia (RJ166403)

Re: Anthophobia

Yet, there are unavoidable hordes of enemies that you have to take down by beating them up in close combat if you run out of bullets, so all that really changes is the tempo of the combat, which for me makes the melee combat cumbersome and overly long at times when it's unavoidable.

From my experience, as long as you conserve ammo (no guns when pipe and lowkick can clear without damage or little damage) and avoid unnecessary confrontation (taking a hit or 2 to run past hordes in some case, eg. last 2 segment of stage 1) you'll always have enough ammo for areas that demand it.

Many of the enemies are avoidable too, for example the garden in stage 2 can be passed without using much ammo, just take a hit or 2 running past hordes here and there, rip cloths to heal when possible and you'll get to the end with plenty of bullets and a doable chunk of health before factoring in the refills found before the boss.

I'd say the game is designed so that if you find yourself down to melee against a horde you can't avoid, then things are supposed to get pretty at that point :D Though it's also designed so that if you optimize your runs you'll never run into those situations.

For me stage 2 tend to be a major stage for running past things and using invulnerable frame a lot. Stage 3 though I tend to clear most things which isn't a problem given ample ammo.

I bet there're some jaw dropping speed run out there.

Last edited:

From my experience, as long as you conserve ammo (no guns when pipe and lowkick can clear without damage or little damage) and avoid unnecessary confrontation (taking a hit or 2 to run past hordes in some case, eg. last 2 segment of stage 1) you'll always have enough ammo for areas that demand it.

Many of the enemies are avoidable too, for example the garden in stage 2 can be passed without using much ammo, just take a hit or 2 running past hordes here and there, rip cloths to heal when possible and you'll get to the end with plenty of bullets and a doable chunk of health before factoring in the refills found before the boss.

I'd say the game is designed so that if you find yourself down to melee against a horde you can't avoid, then things are supposed to get pretty at that point :D Though it's also designed so that if you optimize your runs you'll never run into those situations.

For me stage 2 tend to be a major stage for running past things and using invulnerable frame a lot. Stage 3 though I tend to clear most things which isn't a problem given ample ammo.

I bet there're some jaw dropping speed run out there.

Fair points. I just don't consider running in straight line past enemies while taking damage (disregarding the difficulty of bypassing the shield enemies once they notice you) to be very fun gameplay. It feels more like skipping gameplay than gameplay in itself.

I mostly minded the things I wrote about in the turret defense sequence, mostly at the end of it, when you practically drown in enemies. Also at times, I wanted to conserve ammo and kill singular zombies with melee, only to have to whack at them like a maniac to finally persuade them to die. :D

AFAIK, it is also possible to somewhat screw yourself over with the placement of some checkpoints. If you use up all you ammo just in front of a checkpoint and there's no ammo immediately after that, you have to melee all the enemies at the start of the section, until you get to some ammo and if you get killed, you can start all over, with no ammo again.

So, I got the English DLSite version. Looks great, runs smoothly (so far), but there's no sound. Has anyone else had that problem?

How do you defeat the Big green boss that has those hands with shields in that fiery place?

How do you defeat the Big green boss that has those hands with shields in that fiery place?

Use molotovs to keep him in place, then shoot him as much as you can until his shield goes away....can take a while.
When his shield is down, just aim for his head.

Don't try to conserve your ammo
Random items can fall down when it does the screem thingy.

Or you can lure it to step on its own mine as it occasionally toss them around.

This way is the best way to do it as you can just end up losing all your ammo by shooting him and he can still have his shield.

Fair points. I just don't consider running in straight line past enemies while taking damage (disregarding the difficulty of bypassing the shield enemies once they notice you) to be very fun gameplay. It feels more like skipping gameplay than gameplay in itself.

I mostly minded the things I wrote about in the turret defense sequence, mostly at the end of it, when you practically drown in enemies. Also at times, I wanted to conserve ammo and kill singular zombies with melee, only to have to whack at them like a maniac to finally persuade them to die. :D

AFAIK, it is also possible to somewhat screw yourself over with the placement of some checkpoints. If you use up all you ammo just in front of a checkpoint and there's no ammo immediately after that, you have to melee all the enemies at the start of the section, until you get to some ammo and if you get killed, you can start all over, with no ammo again.

Erm...Did you close the gate in each area?

Game got reviewed on hima-game, if that means anything to anyone.

This might be dumb, but how do you enter the cheat code?

This is a pretty sweet game, but the walking speed is too slow. I get that there should be a contrast between the walking and dash speeds, but it does dampen the atmosphere quite a bit for me.

This might be dumb, but how do you enter the cheat code?

You have to be on the main menu and use the numpad - symbol instead of the back space. If you do it correctly you should hear a sound.

This is a pretty sweet game, but the walking speed is too slow. I get that there should be a contrast between the walking and dash speeds, but it does dampen the atmosphere quite a bit for me.

I think it's fine, it fit the atmosphere of resident evil, silent hill and other survival horror, where the player character have to navigate carefully.

If you move too fast, then it doesn't fit the survival horror theme.

I think it's fine, it fit the atmosphere of resident evil, silent hill and other survival horror, where the player character have to navigate carefully.

If you move too fast, then it doesn't fit the survival horror theme.

The problem is that it makes you backtrack for items/cards, navigate mazes, and kite enemies pretty regularly. If it didn't require you to use 4th-wall-breaking stuff like exploiting the simplicity of enemy AI, I'd be fine with the slow pacing... But it does, so I think the movement speed is too low.

(Not in terms of gameplay balance, but in terms of how it feels to move around the map in a given atmosphere)

The problem is that it makes you backtrack for items/cards, navigate mazes, and kite enemies pretty regularly. If it didn't require you to use 4th-wall-breaking stuff like exploiting the simplicity of enemy AI, I'd be fine with the slow pacing... But it does, so I think the movement speed is too low.

(Not in terms of gameplay balance, but in terms of how it feels to move around the map in a given atmosphere)

This exactly. You often have to monotonously walk long distances without it being very suspenseful. A good example where the slow walking works like it was probably intended is IMO the empty area before the second boss, because you can absorb the sight of all the defeated monsters and the carnage that must have happened there. Other times, it works more to create padding than suspense.

To address this, I'd personally suggest the running to deplete less stamina instead of making the walking faster. She tires way too fast and I'm no sportsperson :D.

dont know if this has been fixed, but if you get killed by an enemy (Mostly the 4-walking plants) and if you have the female "zombie", she will grab you and recover your health even when you have already game over.

Back