What's new

The Love Thread (Or Just Warms and Fuzzies)

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: The Love Thread (Or Just Warms and Fuzzies)

One small step for man, one giant leap fo- *static* STOP POKING ME!!

Blackdeath

Minion
Reputation score

YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

I sense a soul in search of answers…

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I sense a soul in search of answers…
Two games in one, high fives for Host.

"How do I get out of this Chicken shit outfit?"

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I love finally being able to get on my laptop and the internet at school.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Two games in one, high fives for Host.

"How do I get out of this Chicken shit outfit?"
One of your Imps can do a good impression of you. He can even do the ears.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

One of your Imps can do a good impression of you. He can even do the ears.
And I don't know enough quote's from that game... tis a shame.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I love trying to put this thread back on track xD

Reputation score

I love gravity. It's always looking out for us.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I love anything and everything Fire Emblem.

Except the bastardizations they made for Super Smash. They completely boned Roy and Ike for those games.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I actually prefer Ike to Marth, except for the up-B move. It's fine for travel, I just don't like how Ike's a target for the first half of it, makes me nervous. I love Samus, though she's become steadily harder to use since the original Smash Brothers :/

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

If you're talking about pure character-wise as far as playing goes, I don't have a preference of one or the other. Ike is enjoyable for his sweeping fsmash and upsmash, and his final smash is one of the least broken ones that's also very enjoyable to watch. His recovery, however, is GOD-AWFUL. You have excellent horizontal recovery, and excellent vertical recovery, but they're mutually exclusive - there's no escape from the bottom 180 degrees of the stage if you're not right next to the stage lip. Marth is still fun, I actually think they improved him. You'll never hit anything with his final smash, but that's ok since most people turn them off anyway.

No, what I meant was they ruined the spirit of the Ike/Roy characters. Roy in the game is not a slow powerhouse, he's an agile fencer (until you get the sword of seals - which is where the fire element comes in - when he turns into a beast of a fencer). Ike is pretty much the same thing, although once he gets Ragnell, he can solo entire maps. He never had a fire-element sword, though; if anything, his element would be wind. His mastery skill, Aether (upb in ssbb), heals him for half the damage he deals. It would have been really nice if they'd given him a token 1% heal whenever he hit anybody with that move. Better yet, they could have solved his ridiculously bad recovery and given the nod to the actual canon character if they'd made Aether his up throw (same idea as Kirby's) and given him the token 1% heal whenever he used it (as long as they made sure he couldn't chain grab, maybe even put in diminishing returns so it only gives him the heal once every ten seconds or something).

Also, in the real game, Ragnell could fire shockwaves of energy (if you haven't played FE, it's the same shockwave that he shoots when you miss with his final smash). They could have kept canon and made his neutral B a little short-distance shockwave, which would serve the triple purpose of not only making him a medium-weight character with a tool for harassment (more along the lines of Link), but getting rid of that idiotic no-range charge move he has (if you're playing against people who will actually walk into that, I'd suggest finding a different group to play with).

Worse, there is nothing in Path of Radiance that suggests Ike is super-strong (I haven't finished Radiant Dawn yet). Yeah, he's the most broken Lord in the FE series, but he wields Ragnell with a two-handed grip. In the game's story (albeit not in the actual mechanics), he's an average-strength kind of fighter, nowhere near the brawling capabilities of a berserker or a dragon laguz.

Sorry for the wall of text, but that's sort of my beef with how the ssb dev teams interpreted those two particular characters. I mean I understand that to really be strict in the characterizations, they would completely break the game. Lords, after all, are supposed to be the keystone of your military, and as such are almost impossible to kill if appropriately leveled. And Ike, as I mentioned before, can literally solo the last fifth of the game's maps with Ragnell and Aether. But they could have kept closer to the actual characters' fighting style while not breaking the ssbb combat system.

Oh look, prince of persia just finished downloading. Bai!

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I love anything and everything Fire Emblem.

Except the bastardizations they made for Super Smash. They completely boned Roy and Ike for those games.
Even Fire Emblem Fanfiction?

*ducks*

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Eh, they shouldnt have been in melee from the start.

Ridley and the Battletoads on the other hand, ho ho! And don't get me started on the fact they water down characters, that's like saying you don't like how we have a thread about tentacles.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I wasn't saying I didn't like how they watered down characters. In fact the whole point of my post was to give a few examples of how to water down characters (in order to promote game balance) while not changing some fundamental canonocities of those characters. They didn't give Fox a sword, did they? They didn't give Pikachu a hydro pump or fire blast ability, did they? I don't see Link using a three-hundred foot sword, even though he probably could from the gold gauntlets, and I don't see Ness as being a physical brawler character like Bowser or Donkey Kong. That's because their games didn't include those things - Fox never used a sword, and Pikachu's moves are taken straight from the pokemon game's movelist. And yet Ike and Roy are nothing like the original characters, in fighting style or characterization.

Lurker
Reputation score

canonocities
I am so, so sorry, but this is all I got from your post, and I am now busily imagining uses for a cannon that fires cities.

Oh, also that bit about respecting a characters origins when representing them in alternative media. That too.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I haven't played very much of the console Fire Emblems, but I agree with you. Roy in Smash Brothers is to Marth as they made Ganondorf be to Falcon: the bruiser to the other's finesse. But Roy in the game was entirely a finesse character, he used a Rapier for gods sakes, and even Lyndis wound up doing more damage most of the time. They just needed another character, and took a shortcut without really looking at the material.