What's new

The words "Violin" and "rock" shouldn't ever be near each other...

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score
And yet, Trans-Siberian Orchestra makes it happen. If you haven't heard them, I suggest you go and downloBUY one of their CDs. As it so happens, I was fortunate enough to get to attend one of their shows yesterday. Let me tell you - it was awesome.

Now commencing my professional review.

We were sitting in the Don Haskins center, not great seats, but not terrible seats either. When the lights dimmed, the audience erupted in applause, and as if in answer, the lights on the overhanging metal structure came on. The structure began to rise off of the stage, revealing the members of the band standing there. The first violins came in, and the guitars started screaming. I wasn't sure what the name of the first tune they played was, but they played it quite well - the vocalists did an AMAZING job filling out the sound, and the whole thing was really compelling. The fast-paced, minor song announced the beginning of the show, and after that piece, all the lights dimmed, save for one spotlight on the mike. The pianos were playing, and the narrator stepped up and removed a bowler hat, telling us a story about a bar and magic and all kinds of things I can't be arsed to really remember. But then, they moved into the next piece, and the piano began playing the first section of O Holy Night, soft and slow. A short ways into the piece, the guitar came in, with ringing chords that set up what was to come. When the drummer came in, the piece became a slow rock power ballad, and the guitarist really got to show off, embellishing certain parts with some solo action, and when the piece was drawing to a close, he moved into an extremely technical guitar solo to rival some of the greatest guitar solos of all time. His fingers flew up and down the neck and the audience shouted their approval as he landed on the last chord. The narrator spoke again, this time of battlefields and other unpleasant things, and when he was through, the guitar began playing a few soft notes, and the cello came in with the melody from God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen, and was backed up by the xylophone. The music slowed down and came to a halt on a suspended chord, and then the guitar came in with some rhythmic chords and the time signature changed from the initial 4/4 to 6/8 as the string section played what sounded like a descending minor scale, and after the fourth, half the section returned to the top, accompanied by the lead guitar. The lights and lasers were dancing on the roof of the Don Haskins, and the strings began playing Carol of the Bells, and after the first phrase, the guitar came in with the melody. The piece moved quickly, and the effect was instant - the audience was screaming by the end of the piece, and when the last note was struck, the back of the stage exploded with fireworks.

The rest of the narrative section consisted mostly of just some soft pieces, including a beautifully sung Silent Night and Christmas Canon, but the real fun began when they finished the narrative and started playing some of their more famous pieces (and a couple of new ones). The rendition of Beethoven's Fifth sent me into chills - it's really indescribable, but I'll do my best. Between the flames erupting in time with the music and the lights flashing, there is really nothing to compare it to. The piece itself was amazingly well performed, especially the ability of the lead guitarist and electric violinist (Yes, electric violinist) to play while rushing to the rising platform in the pit area, which appeared to shoot up like a rocket due to some truly amazing effects work (gotta hand it to the road crew, this was a 4:00 show and they got it all taken care of). Then they replayed Carol of the Bells (without the intro) as a grand finale, and MAN, was it an amazing performance. As if they were driven further by the yells of the crowd, they gave a truly masterful musical performance for the last song.

All in all, the concert was amazing - the music, the effects, all of it left me in chills. I'd give it a 10/10.

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The words "Violin" and "rock" shouldn't ever be near each other...

Ah, yes...Trans-Siberian Orchestra...Good stuff.

Not much of one for live concerts, admittedly, mostly due to my problems with being in large crowds. But it's good music nonetheless.

I'd also suggest that those who haven't need to at least listen to some of the group's work. Might not be your thing, perhaps. But give it a listen anyway.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Great group, if you liked them I recommend Apocalyptica and perhaps Rhapsody of Fire. Nothing wrong with Violins in rock or metal.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Hell no, violins and rock needn't be strangers. Not at all. If only violin was a little more popular we might see more of it. A year or so ago, I didn't even know electric violins existed. I'd never considered it, but I hadn't seen one anyway. I've got loads of what might be called rock classic (or some such genre) on my computer.

Ever tried playing "Violin hero"? As in, guitar hero or rock band, but use a stick with a notch in it to "strum". Much fun. A little harder.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Kansas and shut your mouth
The guy touring with them now looks like a jacked dana carvey, it's hilarious

But yeah, trans siberian orchestra is incredible. I, myself, gear more towards a melodic and orchestral metal so my opinion might be biased here. heh

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah I like a lot of their stuff, too. I think violins work really well with rock. Like Wolf I don't like live concerts either, in fact I haven't been to one since my senior year in high school. Don't think I could handle being in a large crowd anymore, I can't even stand to go to the fair, or carnival when it's in town.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I got another win in this category: "Advent: One Wing Angel" FAV SONG EVAR

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I got another win in this category: "Advent: One Wing Angel" FAV SONG EVAR
Heh, just yesterday I was driving on my way to do some Christmas shopping, and had One Winged Angel on the car cd player. Somehow, it was both epic, and funny as hell. Me and my brother in my tiny old car with that music.

Coming home it was Nightwishes Planet Hell. :p

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

What station did you hear that on?

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

D: You make me jealous. I've wanted to go to one of their shows for YEARS.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Same. TSO kicks so much ass! The very first time I heard them, I was driving home from the b/f's. It's 2am and I wake my father up to get the phone number of the radio station and want to know what they just played. I've been in love since *laughs*

And yeah, they always play here in my hometown, but we always pass on the concerts because they're expensive :(

Like Apocalyptica, Nightwish (that got a lot of love because of Phantom, but that's not why I like them), Blind Guardian, Midnight Syndicate, and Ayreon and Within Temptation to some extent.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Same. TSO kicks so much ass! The very first time I heard them, I was driving home from the b/f's. It's 2am and I wake my father up to get the phone number of the radio station and want to know what they just played. I've been in love since *laughs*

And yeah, they always play here in my hometown, but we always pass on the concerts because they're expensive :(

Like Apocalyptica, Nightwish (that got a lot of love because of Phantom, but that's not why I like them), Blind Guardian, Midnight Syndicate, and Ayreon and Within Temptation to some extent.
Symphony x is nice too

OP
Megamickel

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

D: You make me jealous. I've wanted to go to one of their shows for YEARS.
It helps when a family member works for the radio station that's sponsoring the concert... Course his son got to go backstage and the dude gave him his jacket. Was it Tommy? I think it was. That's who he said it was.

I wanted to go back when I was living out in North Texas, but the one time they came I had no monies. Then I moved here and I got to go, and it was EPICCC. The concert experience dulls the recordings. I mean, they're still good, but they feel now like they're just shells of the full experience. With the flames and the smoke and the lights... it was... amazing.

VSig related.

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score

<3 Alex Skolnick

If you listen to TSO and don't know who that is, go die.

OP
Megamickel

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

-_- thanks, appreciate that. (/sarcasm)

I don't keep up with people. I listen to one thing, I like it, doesn't mean I have any knowledge of it or things related to it.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

The TSO rock! I got lucky enough to see them last year. It was wonderful. ^_^

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I fell in love with them when I heard the 1812 Overture which was in Lulz: A Corruption of LOL Disc 1 (it was used in V for Vendetta).

I may have to get my hands on one of their albums now.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

If you plan on it, now *is* the best time, as they only have four, three of which are Christmas Albums. They also have one DVD.

Christmase Eve and other Stories
Christmas Attic
Lost Christmas Eve
Beethoven's Last night (and for some reason, Beethoven doesn't look right...)

There is also three pack of the Christmas ones available. And I can't remember the name of the DVD at the moment.

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

If memory serves, it's called "Christmas Eve and Other Stories", as well. I can check later, as one of my friends works Electronics at the local Wal-Mart.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I have both Christmas eve's and the DVD... but i couldn't tell you the name of the DvD cause it's at home. >.<