What's new

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL TEAM FORTRESS 2 TOPIC

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: THIS IS THE OFFICIAL TEAM FORTRESS 2 TOPIC

Fuck that, we could have taken down several of them and possibly broken through. He's a demoman, he can put stickies to cover our asses while he fights forward with other weapons instead of running away like a little bitch. And if I'd gotten up to a full uber, we'd be fine.
You are expecting a far too high level of competence from your pockets. I don't care if he's a Demoman, fact of the matter is, I can't think of a single goddamn class outside of a ubered heavy who could've gotten you out of that situation. The way you're describing the situation makes it sound like, even if he had gotten lucky with a crit sticky, there still would've been enemies from other angles, meaning he would've had to shoot some badass pipes at more than two enemies.

To me, from what you've described from the situation, I think the Demomen sticky jumping away was the correct, and honestly the smarter move for him to make. The fact that you refused to heal him afterwards just means you can keep track of all the people on your team and what they've done before, which is pretty damn impressive, because I've wasted ubers on enemy spies who were disguised as Scouts.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

The fact that you refused to heal him afterwards just means you can keep track of all the people on your team and what they've done before, which is pretty damn impressive, because I've wasted ubers on enemy spies who were disguised as Scouts.
Not that hard to remember one name. *shrug*

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

Not that hard to remember one name. *shrug*
Ah. Good point. My mistake is going by hats and not names. Someone decides to change hats, and all of a sudden I'm fucking ubering enemy spies and running into sentries and shit.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Lol. I suppose it's an easy way to quickly ID someoen on the field, but since I've usually got their names up on screen by having my crosshairs over people regularly, I try to keep track of what class people are playing so I can try and spot spies. Mixed results.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Hey, dun insult the Sleeper too much. I can't headshot and I can still kill scouts through medics on the full-charge shot, and severely cripple everyone else I do hit when I go sniper (rare enough but even still). Some people have playstyles that use those supposed 'crap' weapons after all, and can match with the best either way. (Pain Train+Charge Targe on Degroot. Win in 2orso minutes if yer charge lands you in the right spots and Red is kinda silly.)

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

My recent experiences with TF2;

Before update: Backburner pyro, rush enemy team, die horribly, repeat.

After F2P update: Backburner pyro, rush enemy team, somehow kill them all, become pro.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Funny. My experience still involves lots of dying. Unless I happen to get a good drop on someone - then several other people do the dying.

So in short, it depends on what you use it for. If you're trying to set people on fire or your aim sucks at range, use the one where you can manually detonate.

If you use it as an execution weapon, killing fleeing enemies or followups on previous flares, the extra damage from the normal flare gun is superior.
Flare gun it is, then. I use it mainly for taking shots at annoying snipers, or people out of my range. For groups, I got flanking and Degreaser.

Hi There!

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I has some hats that want for trading; V-bonk Helm, Tom o Shetter, Pyro Boot, Coppers hard helm (heavy cop hat), Hustler's Hallmark, The Medic plague hat (the name escapes me). If anyone wants to trade some other hat for one of these i would be excite face, looking for heavy mafia hat in particular.

I'm Hi There! in the steam group as well, or if you want you can add me steam account = osam800

Last edited:

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Funny. My experience still involves lots of dying. Unless I happen to get a good drop on someone - then several other people do the dying.

Flare gun it is, then. I use it mainly for taking shots at annoying snipers, or people out of my range. For groups, I got flanking and Degreaser.
Thats what the detonaters great for too. Detonating on the group and catching them on fire instead of risking your life all on that flanking.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

That's all fine and dandy, but with degreaser, I can easily keep cooking them until they die, instead of waiting for the gun to be reloaded, then taking another shot at enemies that might no longer be where they were. Or, I can simply take out the Axtinguisher and finish the job manually. That thing one-hits a soldier at full HP if he's on fire. It's less safe, but I can deal more damage this way. Generally speaking, pyros aren't optimized for long range combat, pretty much anyone can outdo him in this regard.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

That's all fine and dandy, but with degreaser, I can easily keep cooking them until they die, instead of waiting for the gun to be reloaded, then taking another shot at enemies that might no longer be where they were. Or, I can simply take out the Axtinguisher and finish the job manually. That thing one-hits a soldier at full HP if he's on fire. It's less safe, but I can deal more damage this way. Generally speaking, pyros aren't optimized for long range combat, pretty much anyone can outdo him in this regard.
very true, but it helps Set them on fire and ready them for murder. Its actually extremely helpful When your firing the Detonater and the shots too small to make impact, so it detonates and does the small area of effect and catches them on fire. its EXTREMELY usefull when going against the medic heavy combo because you can peer out, fire, detonate, rinse and repeat and murder the medic from the detonaters booms, then finish off the heavy with the axtinguisher Yes, the detonater mini cirts those already on fire.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Meh. If you're precise, a flare gun can kill the medic faster due to higher damage output. And once again, attacking them from behind with a flamer is a better idea in my opinion. If you're fast enough (and packing either Backburner or Axtinguisher), you might end the medic before heavy realizes what's going on. And those two can outdamage you at range very badly, so it's a risky strategy anyway.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

youd be surprised, Everyone who ive captured on fire with it panics like fuckin crazy, allowing me to get the drop on people in the most retarded situations (These guys MUST be free players). And yeah, the mini crits stack up along with dps, and the stradegy isnt risky for me at all. i can fire, and since the bullet travels a wee bit slow, i can hide back behind corner, time it, right click, enflamed and burning. Its fuckin awesome for dealing with corner engies who build sentries on tight corners, ill burn, damage the buildings, and mini crit the engie. Woohoo. Say im at gorge, enemies are taking the bridge capture point and i know a heavy/soldier/scouts up there, and i dont feel like engaging him. Fuck it, stay behind stairs, peer out and aim the detonater to arc and fire at the point, time, detonate, burning people panicing at the cap point lookin everywhere for a flanking pyro.

Last edited:

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

That's the problem - you've been playing with retards. A smart, competent player will figure out where you are and will adapt to the situation, which will likely force you to drop that tactic and either change position or get closer to smoke him out. Your second example might be a better idea, but it's a tactic that'll work once. You may catch the engie off-guard the first time, but if he's smart, he'll figure out how to avoid dying and next time, he'll be prepared for the flares. And certain classes might prepare a nasty suprise for you, waiting for the moment you show your head again.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

I dont really stick to a given stradegy, so even if they "prepared" anything, id catch them off guard once again, i switch myself up too much to be predicted. Im just listing the Positives for the detonater.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

I guess. I don't think that this gun, as useful as it might be, is good enough to warrant a change. Also, got a question to engie players. Is the Gunslinger actually useful? I mean, the minisentry is very quick to build, but it goes down really fast and as far as I can tell, it's not upgradeable or even repairable.Is it really worth using at all? And if yes, then how?

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Is it sad that I'd still prefer a shotgun at this moment? No ignition but I get the instant gratification of them dieing instead of all this 'afterburn vs axestinquisher' nonsense.

Though personally, I use the Detonator when I'm in spammy areas, for group fire. Allthough I HAVE noticed the delay is a bit tricky on the flare asplode.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Actually, I still tend to see shotgun pyros. They tend to take the damn thing out when they encounter me, and stubbornly stay out of flamer range. I usually fall back when I see one do this. It's not a bad weapon, altough compared to the flare gun, I guess some people just find it inadequate. Unlike the flare gun, however, it's actually useful against enemy pyros.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Actually, I still tend to see shotgun pyros. They tend to take the damn thing out when they encounter me, and stubbornly stay out of flamer range. I usually fall back when I see one do this. It's not a bad weapon, altough compared to the flare gun, I guess some people just find it inadequate. Unlike the flare gun, however, it's actually useful against enemy pyros.
Unless some people go and just charge ya with the flamethrower as well. Irkingly, that happens way too often then the Pyro suit would allow, theoreticly.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, most of the time at least one pyro is charging at the other. Results can be sometimes hilarious, like when he runs into another enemy or they both die.