What's new

Truly scary moments in gaming

Nightverge

#1 Hero
Reputation score
Re: Truly scary moments in gaming

This just happened to me in Breath of the Wild, swear to god. I handled FNAF no problem, FEAR gave me a little trouble, and Dead Space was just hilarious.

But I tell you what,

Let me feel like king of the world after finishing all the shrines, like a completely invincible juggernaut, then send me fully loaded out on a quest for one last treasure. Then, as I fly toward my goal, paint me with about 50 laser beams.

Definitely screamed like a little girl in front of my roommate. Might have shit myself, can't tell yet because I still can't feel my lower half.

Well played, Nintendo.

autizboyz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I never realy terrify with the deep sea/ocean, but playing got me chiils down my spine. I must say the dev realy know how to place a jump scare and stuff.

Darktoz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Someone here already mentioned the hotel mission in Bloodlines:

When you...

...make your way into the basement and there is a small hallway where the ghost lady appears right in front of you, running away from something, looking back frightened and screaming in fear...

...that scene is over in literally one second, but really freaked me out. I remember that I was too scared to move on for quite some time :D

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

That'd be me! *laughs*

Not video gaming but having a storyteller that's a shit. So, friends and I have a Hunter the Vigil tabletop game and it's set in West Virginia (an area the ST is moderately familiar with). Our characters are going to check out a place called Rappahannock (which is a real life place with real life weird shit that happens there - namely the coal mine that is STILL ON FIRE.) We go because of the notes in the journal belonging to one charrie's grandfather which include "Portal? But where?" and "DANGEROUS! KEEP OUT!" That, and local legend is that at one point in time, a good number of people from the town just *vanished* with no explanation. Now, said character is a ghost hunter and thus has voice recording equipment and the like. So we get to the town, start nosing around and we're checking out this photo in a Union office. My charrie takes a pic of it with a Polaroid and it looks like there's something in the door. So I turn around and snap a pic. And there's a shadow. *snap snap snap* and with each flash, it gets closer. So we flip on the voice recorder, start talking to whatever might be there, and when we discuss playing it back, the ST starts rolling the microbead pillow that sits on my couch around in their hands and then goes "Welcome home" in a really raspy voice.

Granted, wasn't a IRL shriekfest or pants-wettingly scary but just to have the actual "static" we could hear and then the speech. Nyyrargh. Wouldn't let them have the pillow again for the rest of the adventure.

Darktoz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Also, that scene from Resident Evil

...when that goddamn dog jumps through the window. Back in the days it gave me nightmares :D

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

Also, that scene from Resident Evil

...when that goddamn dog jumps through the window. Back in the days it gave me nightmares :D
and .

TheWorst

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm not into "scary/horror" games that much.
Especially after "Condemned: criminal origins" succeeded in scaring the sh*t out of me. lol

Kamos999

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

mass effect andromeda pick good or wrong possibilities..... realy not much to get....

Milfarion

Reputation score

"Scratches", this game is made of scary moments. It was scary, even when nothing happened because of the sound and atmosphere. Somewhere in the house squeaks the floor, something fell behind the wall. One time I almost fell off my chair and dropped my headphones. :eek:

CrazyChameleon

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Everything beyond the safe shallows in subnautica .. just .. everything.

Thanks to that game I now know I fear the ocean.

Lucifina

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Everything beyond the safe shallows in subnautica .. just .. everything.

Thanks to that game I now know I fear the ocean.
Try going back after a Reaper Leviathan digs through the rock to drag you into glitch hell. I was screaming like hell.

random Crow

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I loved to play the original Resident Evil games when I was rather young (about 11).
Also I hated the screams of the undead in Ocarina of Time :( Had nightmares about it.
Now I can walk through every horror game, call it Amnesia or the current Evil Within 2 without even a twitch.

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Trilby's Notes, one of the Chzo Mythos games, had a mechanic wherein every time you moved into another room, the world might switch to the dark world. Unintelligible whispers in the background, a decayed world, and demented words and phrases (ithurtsithurtsithurtsithurts) painted on the walls with blood, I prayed not to switch worlds. The funny thing was, there was barely any danger and you could easily return to your world but it still scared me shitless.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Trilby's Notes, one of the Chzo Mythos games, had a mechanic wherein every time you moved into another room, the world might switch to the dark world. Unintelligible whispers in the background, a decayed world, and demented words and phrases (ithurtsithurtsithurtsithurts) painted on the walls with blood, I prayed not to switch worlds. The funny thing was, there was barely any danger and you could easily return to your world but it still scared me shitless.
I watched someone do vids of the Chzo Mythos games. Good shit, those. But scary as fuck shit.

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Re: Truly scary moments in gaming...

you mean other than microtransactions, unfinished AAA priced games and dubious lootbox implementation?

Well there was one time I played Fatal Frame in the PS2 when I was in high school and still residing in my folk's ancestral home...I've seen everything...jump scares in the first 2 resident evil games were meh...Silent hill was just creepy but not scary...but the way the gameplay in fatal frame was presented with your character having just a magic camera to fend for herself just makes you feel helpless and won't give you time when the spooky boo boo suddenly decides to appear right in the corner of your eyes...

also the fact that said ancestral home was kinda haunted, I never did ever finish the game until now...

living alone now won't help me finish the game easier as well...I may be a grown ass man in my 30's but if you went through all the things I experienced as a kid in that house playing a horror game in PS2 even a trucker would scream like a little girl...

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

OP
super_slicer

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

You're afraid of someone draining the water out, pushing a faulty control box into the water and then turning the power back on to electrocute you while you're defenseless?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

K, it was a shit boss, but in the first game, it wasn't some high stand, you were in the pool with them.

And then in a later derivative game, they did underwater troubles a little better with followed soon after by

OP
super_slicer

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Oh, I'm not making light of it. Water areas are always max pucker-factor for me too. It's just that that shark really really gets the short end of the stick there.

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Scary moments in gaming?.. Oh lord, where to start..

Most of my scary moments usually fall into one of two categories..

1. A game-breaking glitch causing something legitimately horrifying to happen
2. The game unintentionally becoming self-aware, when it wasn't supposed to.

Let's see.. Not counting any of the times that I was "intentionally" glitching a game.

Kerbal Space Program----------------

This was my first official interaction with "The Kraken", a legendary myth in this game.

It was a routine launch.. All I had to do was fly to a location, and then land.. It didn't matter if I died in the crash, landed fine, so long as I got to location, everything was okay. I got in my jet plate, took off, and flew to the point. So far so uneventful, but as I finished getting to the location, I was over the ocean, and was too lazy to fly back to land, so, being the planner that I was, I'd built parachutes into my plane to use, in case I wanted to make a vertical landing. I activated the parachutes, killed the engine, and sat back, relaxing as I watched my craft slowly drift down to the ocean.

And then, for just a split second, I felt just a tiny fraction of the kraken's power...

The screen momentarily went black, the altimeter and the nav-ball went ape-shit, and I heard a sound that I can only explain as a distant gunshot being near-infinitely reverberated through an extremely long tunnel. Then, reality snapped back together, and only the cockpit was now present, flying over the ocean as if I'd never landed. Thankfully it was strong enough to re-enter the ocean without breaking at that speed.. But before I was about to call the mission a success and go home, I noticed a few achievement markers in the corner. Apparently jeb, the pilot, had flew out of the gravitational influence of the planet, AND orbited the sun!.. Yet he was right here, in the cockpit, quietly floating in the ocean. I switched to the space view, and noticed debree from the aircraft had indeed somehow teleported off the planet, now going over literally x10 the speed of light, heading out into deep space. The data on the debree said it had "splashed down at the sun".. Firstly, you can only "splash down" in water, and secondly, that essentially meant it had landed/crashed, yet here it was traveling through space at physically impossible speeds.

It might not sound very scary, but if you take the game seriously enough, and know the forces at work well enough to possibly fathom them in real life, something like that happening can cause a severe chill down your spine.

I've got plenty more scary stories, but I'll save those for a later time.